• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 |OT| Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So your renting the game and buying DLC and a way to pay more to play early?

Fucking disgusting.
You get to play early and you will get the two expansions coming later and a ton of other stuff now (lots of cars, clothes etc....). I already have Gamepass so it's not a big deal. I plan later to buy the game at a steep discount used, so if/when I cancel GamePass I will already have the DLC and expansions

chixdiggit

I love all the defenders of the "pay more to play early" scam.

gamers, gladly bending over for every game they want to play
No one is defending it. Everyone is just telling you that your argument is silly and makes no sense.
The premium edition gives you plenty of things of value and is not just a way to get early access.
If they were charging money just to play the game early you would have an argument. But it's not the case and you have no argument.

MMaRsu

Banned
Or you can just you know, buy the damn game?

I buy the Forza Horizon games when they are 30$ for the complete editions or something, as I always do.

I just very much hate the 'pay more to play early'. Even if it is tied to a premium pass or DLC pass whatever.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No one is defending it. Everyone is just telling you that your argument is silly and makes no sense.
The premium edition gives you plenty of things of value and is not just a way to get early access.
If they were charging money just to play the game early you would have an argument. But it's not the case and you have no argument.
He just wants to troll

I knew I shouldn't have watched that 'hyperbolic' Digitial Foundry tech analysis video...

... because I ended up buying the game last night even though I was adamant that I wouldn't and would instead pick it up at a later date and a lower price instead. Ahem. What can I say but "I am weak"?

Anyway, on my ageing 2013 PC with an i7-4770K at 4 GHz, 16 GB of DDR 1600Hz memory and a 4-year old GTX 1080 Ti the game's benchmark defaulted to the Ultra preset at 1440p and returned an average framerate of 72 fps. However, I maxed the settings, which included ray-tracing on High (!!!???), MSAA set to 4X and FXAA, and re-ran the benchmark after the usual game restart (*sigh* is this really necessary on PC?) and it returned an average of 54 fps. That is obviously less than the ideal 60 fps but still surprisingly good considering the age of the hardware. I ended up capping the game at 45 fps using RTSS as the game has no framerate cap and the refresh rate option seems bugged (on my PC it defaulted to 165 Hz but only offered 330 Hz and 660 Hz as alternatives!!!). Thanks to G-SYNC, this resulted in a game that is about 99.8% stable with only the odd stutter here and there, most noticeably during the 30 fps cinematic transitions during the opening tutorial sections where you switch between different vehicles separated by pre-rendered high quality 4K video sequences.

The game itself is good as expected if you've played any of the previous games but it is very, very familiar. The HUD and menus are pretty much identical to Forza Horizon 4 with tweaks to things like the Garage where you access your vehicles and so on. It plays like a re-skin of the last game and while the visuals are very nice, I don't think they are as much as a leap as others are making out. For example, even on the Extreme settings there is very noticeable draw in of grass and foliage as well as shadows which kind of make the game engine feel a little dated, at least in my opinion. The quality of the car models, the textures and the overall environmental detail is impressive but the change of location from the UK to a semi-tropical setting makes it difficult to quantify if this is a big leap visually over the last game. I cannot remember the last time I played an ugly looking racing game so at this point I kind of expect them to look good so it's hard to be that impressed by what I'm seeing. This is what I would expect from a 2021 racing game and if anything the visible draw in of shadows and grass is kind of a letdown. Also, the lack of temporal anti-aliasing means that mid-to-distant objects suffer from noticeable shimmering that even 8xMSAA plus FXAA cannot hide. You can see very obvious aliasing right at the start on the bonnet (hood) of the vehicle that drops out of the plane during the opening tutorial section!

Also, the game has several bugs and annoyances. For one, the mouse cursor remains visible on-screen all the time for me even though there is a setting that is supposed to hide the mouse pointer after a period of inactivity in the settings! And I've already mentioned that lack of a framerate cap and the buggy refresh rate option (does anyone have a 330Hz or 660Hz display, I wonder?).

Secondly, the replay camera is still absolutely awful. There's the usual game cameras plus a selection of dull angles from different positions around the vehicle (front, rear, topdown, side etc etc), including some that rotate or fly-by etc They have not changed from the previous games which is disappointing. There's no action or TV style camera like you see in the Gran Turismo games. This game's replays feel very static and dull and lack the dynamic ones you see in other racing sims. This is an area where even Turn 10's Forza Motorsport franchise pales in comparison to the Sony legend that is Gran Turismo which manages to make replays addictive to watch. At least in my opinion.

Finally, the game throws vehicles at you at an alarming pace that it feels overwhelming. I accumulated some 22 cars in the space of 15 minutes, I kid you not, and I only bought/earned two of them. The rest were unlocks from the Premium Edition and rewards from having played the previous games. I guess this isn't a criticism for some but I prefer to earn vehicles at a gradual rate so I can try them out as I get them.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Apparently, I've been spending an hour and some change on the benchmark. Developers knew there were millions of us with moderate hardware looking to squeeze every last drop we can out of our systems, and would thus be restarting the game constantly. And so if you do happen to restart you are dumped right back into benchmark mode (still have to go through the loading of the benchmark but getting right back into the game is smart - just let the computer do its thing).

I love all the defenders of the "pay more to play early" scam.

gamers, gladly bending over for every game they want to play

The Premium Edition is no more expensive than the previous version in Forza Horizon 4. If you are already all in on FH5 getting the game early is just a plus.

. . .the main issue is the inclusion of DLC for purchase in XGP, not incentivizing locking in players to the game long term.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What a child, just because you have a different opinion doesnt mean im trolling.

The 'pass' is 50€, as much as a new premium AAA game.

So yeah I do feel its a ripoff, and the 'Play early by preordering this mega expensive edition' is just the fucking turd on top
I don't mind if you have a different opinion.

When it becomes trolling is arguing with people who try to correct what you said yet you keep beating that drum

We get it you don't like early access games that reward people for buying the premium editions of games, you made that clear a few times so time to move on imo

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't mind if you have a different opinion.

When it becomes trolling is arguing with people who try to correct what you said yet you keep beating that drum

We get it you don't like early access games that reward people for buying the premium editions of games, you made that clear a few times so time to move on imo

You dont get to decide what I post or when I post it, if I want to have an honest discussion with someone I will do just that.

Feel free to put me on your ignore list if it bothers you that much.

Kilau

The new forzathon live, horizon arcade thing is better and worse.

Seems to be less back tracking to repeat the same thing BUT the mini challenges don’t register properly and take too long to refresh, failed round 3 both times so far.

Poppyseed

Anyone else getting screen tearing just on the map screen? Bit annoying…. Yes vsync is off (using my gsync monitor) and in-game there’s no tearing. Just the map.

hollams

Gold Member
Sounds like either a too weak CPU or data streaming from the SSD to RAM might be a bottle neck that causes intermittent frame drops?

Reduce some settings and play it.
I reduced to settings to low and I still had the same issues. On all the settings I hit a max target FPS but it drops the same amount of frames on all of them. For low settings I was hitting 110 fps max and then it would drop to 85-90 every few seconds or so. It could be a CPU or streaming issue as another poster mentioned. When I just sit in the car the fps is constant. I did try limiting the game to 30fps and that mostly stayed hitch free but it felt there were slight hitches as well. When I limited it to 42 it would hit that and drop to 30 at the same intervals.

I ran a benchmark late last night and saw the hitches there as well.

Ammogeddon

Except 30FPS mode on Series X, vaseline mode
Amen brother. I’ve had a couple of goes in quality mode. Yeah it’s got some nice extra effects but once you play in performance mode there’s really no going back. Not even for extra shrubbery.

No one ever talks about the sharpness you get from a higher frame rate, which I’d argue makes it superior from an aesthetic point of view.

Data Ghost

Bought a couple of homes last night and a polished brass Ferarri :messenger_sunglasses:

51657477970_b99c7b758f_h.jpg

51656614876_b9093342d9_h.jpg

51657283979_86949a262b_h.jpg

51656615006_4033867c6b_h.jpg

Droxcy

Can't even load the game with my steering wheel plugged in on PC what a fail how do you buff this up on launch for a racing game.

Update: Logitech GHUB was forcing it to stop I legit had to uninstall the APP...

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

They could put a fucking bit of effort into the avatars. Got prosthetics, pronouns, every hair colour and they all look like the offspring of John Merrick and Kathy Bates.
They did, but only in the aspect so that they could ensure everyone could feel "comfortable" when playing. Never thought after picking a blatantly obvious male character I'd then be asked two tabs over to choose my identity, this world has a mental illness disorder and it's sad it's being supported even in videogames.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Is it possible to opt out of the cars, credits and house bonuses from the Premium Edition? I want to play early but still start from scratch and work myself upwards without boosting the progression?

K' Dash

What a child, just because you have a different opinion doesnt mean im trolling.

The 'pass' is 50€, as much as a new premium AAA game.

So yeah I do feel its a ripoff, and the 'Play early by preordering this mega expensive edition' is just the fucking turd on top
Why don't you just vite with your wallet and let everyone do whatever the fuck they want with their money?

Kagey K

Banned
Is it possible to opt out of the cars, credits and house bonuses from the Premium Edition? I want to play early but still start from scratch and work myself upwards without boosting the progression?
You can choose to buy the cars with credits instead of the free purchase.

They auto give you the welcome cars and the loyalty cars, but of course you don’t have to use them. The house purchase you can’t get around though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You get to play early and you will get the two expansions coming later and a ton of other stuff now (lots of cars, clothes etc....). I already have Gamepass so it's not a big deal. I plan later to buy the game at a steep discount used, so if/when I cancel GamePass I will already have the DLC and expansions
Yep. I'll get it when it's $10 one day before it's delisted.

Fredrik

You can choose to buy the cars with credits instead of the free purchase.

They auto give you the welcome cars and the loyalty cars, but of course you don’t have to use them. The house purchase you can’t get around though.
Gah! Can’t you choose to not download the extra stuff?
I just want to start from the beginning.

Kilau

They did, but only in the aspect so that they could ensure everyone could feel "comfortable" when playing. Never thought after picking a blatantly obvious male character I'd then be asked two tabs over to choose my identity, this world has a mental illness disorder and it's sad it's being supported even in videogames.
I’m just happy they didn’t put the festival goers in masks or reference Covid at all.

Data Ghost

I’m just happy they didn’t put the festival goers in masks or reference Covid at all.
Not so fast. One of the accessory types for your avatar is a selection of face masks. Not sure what the R number is in Mexico but its good to feel somewhat protected as most other drivers don't keep 2 meters apart.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Data Ghost

Im so jealous right now, but I never buy premium editions of anything...
Me either usually. However this time I made an exception because the game is truly worth it, the devs deserve it, and I hardly buy any Xbox games due to GamePass usually. Also if I bought a PS5 game it would be 70 bucks so I paid 15 bucks more for this and have gained 2 expansion packs and some other stuff in the process.

I will likely buy Halo Infinite too. Don't want my entire game library to reside in just GamePass.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Its really not that intrusive, lol. If it does bother you, after the first barn find you can gift all your cars away or auction them I guess.
I checked a list and there are lots of other things included besides the cars. They should have early release as a separate bonus so you could skip the rest. Starting with a bad car and struggle to get money to buy something better or upgrade is part of the game progression.

Last edited:
Top Bottom