• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 previews

I just replaced my old 4k/60hz monitor with a 144hz panel and Horizon 3 and 4 are so smooth, I can't wait to see this game outside compressed Youtube videos.

Even on the Series S this game is looking really good.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I’ll wait for tiny gifs in the rain to make my final verdict, but it’s looking pretty nice.
vTP1eIQ.gif

Catphish

I do so hope they've tightened up the wheel/ffb experience. 4 was pretty shit in that regard. I have zero expectations for a reasonable damage model, however.

But, I'm a GP guy, so bring it on! (y)

GHG

To each its own but I enjoyed 4. What didn't you like about 4?

4 was a big step down from previous iterations in terms of map design and they completely killed all aspects of progression.

That's not even mentioning all the pointless crap like clothing, characters etc.

I'll be getting it day one on Steam so hopefully it's more like FH1-3 than it is FH4.

Emet_bp

The reflection on the ground in the shop when he's doing the engine changes is raytracing. It was mentioned in ¡Let's Go! Which makes sense because it's static, basically FV mode. No RT in gameplay of course
There is RT on cars on Series X, but not on Series S. Reflections on the floor in th showroom don't use RT.

Banned
The reflection on the ground in the shop when he's doing the engine changes is raytracing. It was mentioned in ¡Let's Go! Which makes sense because it's static, basically FV mode. No RT in gameplay of course

for real? that sounds like a massive waste of GPU resources lol... But I guess they don't really need it in that moment.

still tho, one would think simply using planar reflections in such a scene would use up way less resources 🤷‍♂️

Yes, looks very nice. BUT, I do notice they did dial back LOD in vegetation since that reveal trailer. The canyon area does not look as dense nor does the jungle area or desert area. And the pop-in is fairly bad in performance mode looking at Stallion83's play through. Hopefully that can be mitigated.

Last edited:

Emet_bp

I'll pull up the clip just for you

At around 0:40

It looks the same on the series S footage but maybe lower res reflections

Well... in fact it doesn't look the same. Look more closely. There are clearly no RT reflections on cars on Series S (which are clearly seen on Series X) and reflections on the floor also look different (it looks like they are using planar reflections on Series S).

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

looking at your post history and the source of your post you are literally asking for a ban ha?

Yes. A little downgrade in vegetation density for sure or this is an old build. Who knows.
One is from quality mode while the other one is from performance mode, and his post is literally from a PS fanboy twitter account.

looking at your post history and the source of your post you are literally asking for a ban ha?

One is from quality mode while the other one is from performance mode, and his post is literally from a PS fanboy twitter account.
I had thought one was from quality because all the LetsGo streams have been 30fps gameplay. Man, I really hope they can use AMD FSR and give us the best of both worlds.

Turk1993

I had thought one was from quality because all the LetsGo streams have been 30fps gameplay. Man, I really hope they can use AMD FSR and give us the best of both worlds.
You can easily see the difference in foliage and draw distance between performance and quality mode, but the performance mode still looks incredible for a dynamic open world 4K 60fps game.
YG34vYl.jpg

You can easily see the difference in foliage and draw distance between performance and quality mode, but the performance mode still looks incredible for a dynamic open world 4K 60fps game.
YG34vYl.jpg
Yup. To be expected. Looks like dialed back lighting too especially on the crops towards the back.

YG34vYl.jpg
Which begs me to ask, was the reveal running on a high-end PC rig? Because it had literally zero pop in, dense vegetation and ran 60fps.

Some quite desperate nitpicking going on above :messenger_tears_of_joy: Looks absolutely amazing.

My C1 77” gets delivered October 30 just in time for this beauty, and I’m buying the season pass or whatever it’s called day one, partly because the DLC is an instabuy even before we know what it is, and partly to support the game (and Gamepass) because this model needs to be the new normal for gaming.

Some quite desperate nitpicking going on above :messenger_tears_of_joy: Looks absolutely amazing.

My C1 77” gets delivered October 30 just in time for this beauty, and I’m buying the season pass or whatever it’s called day one, partly because the DLC is an instabuy even before we know what it is, and partly to support the game (and Gamepass) because this model needs to be the new normal for gaming.
I don't think it's nitpicking per se. The initial reveal looked insane and was running at 60fps. They set the expectation for what FH5 would look like. And for the most part it does, but anytime there's a downward deviation from a reveal, it's sour a little bit.

Turk1993

Which begs me to ask, was the reveal running on a high-end PC rig? Because it had literally zero pop in, dense vegetation and ran 60fps.
Yeah probably, they want to show the game at its best so its logical to show the maxed out pc version.

It happens in every Forza thread, they always use those sony fanboy twitter posts and don't give a damn about this game. They just repost those tweet in the thread to start console wars nothing more.

I don't think it's nitpicking per se. The initial reveal looked insane and was running at 60fps. They set the expectation for what FH5 would look like. And for the most part it does, but anytime there's a downward deviation from a reveal, it's sour a little bit.
I would agree if it was not for his post history and the twitter account he got those images from.

Isa

Man this is going to be a hard wait. Only a month but damn. Looks phenomenal even on Series S. I know there are haters, but I'll be in the Quality Mode camp. I also really love how they've done the clouds, they look great. That and the engine sounds so far.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The graphics and the world of Horizon always looks so amazing. Every time I see trailers for Forza Horizon I I always think OMG this game looks so great I have to get it. Then I remember I hate driving games :pie_roffles:

I sincerely hope Playground can deliver a world that looks as good as the Horizon games when they release Fable, because unlike driving games, WRPGs are my favorite games.

skneogaf

Why would a game on pc ever need to be downgraded? Surely comparisons are likely to be different versions or settings.

The foliage LOD transitions are really agressive and noticeable during performance mode. They gotta fix this since its pretty jarring sometimes.

Like the LOD transitions between car models in GT Sport.

But I haven't heard anything about One X...are they going for a 60fps mode on that console like they did for Horizon 4? That was a game changer...

JLB

Banned
I prefer Motorsport, though FH4 is fantastic. Specially the Lego expansion and that brick modeled Ferrari.

Last edited:

GHG

I don't think the old footage was old PC footage. I believe it was Series X but in quality mode or whatever the hell the mode is called that favors image quality over performance lol

Honestly it doesn't matter what it was from, given playgrounds track record there is no reason to doubt them in that department.

Imagine trying to nitpick the graphics in this game. To anyone who does that I suggest finding a new hobby because gaming clearly isn't for you.

Honestly it doesn't matter what it was from, given playgrounds track record there is no reason to doubt them in that department.

Imagine trying to nitpick the graphics in this game. To anyone who does that I suggest finding a new hobby because gaming clearly isn't for you.
No I agree with you. Playground churn out quality and never disappoint. The only negative is waiting between releases of their new games.
This next month is going to be a fucking long wait. Halo's coming soon too which will be the icing on the cake of another great year for gamers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom