• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
ffNj3yg.jpg

$70 million budget. Never forget.

Did that really have a 70 million budget? Where did the money go? lol

TCRS

Banned
I don't know what the season 2 book readers thread was like, but the season 1 thread was poisonous. so much bitching, the non-book thread was so relaxed compared to it.

Eidan

I don't know what the season 2 book readers thread was like, but the season 1 thread was poisonous. so much bitching, the non-book thread was so relaxed compared to it.
Season 2 thread was rough. As the series diverges more and more from the books, I expect reader feedback to only get worse.

Amir0x

Banned
They deserved what they got in Season 2. In particular, the miserable changes to Arya's story should be shouted from the mountain tops... not only did the changes they made make for infinitely worse television, but they completely subverted her entire character growth. I don't know what they were thinking with Arya's story.

We get it, you have a connection to the show. That doesn't mean everyone has to like it or can't discuss the multitude of flaws that kept the first two seasons from being "great" television like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. Get over it.

I hope this season is good, everything looks nice so far. But it's still Benioff and Weiss writing.

i know it's got that benioff and weiss writing behind it. but honestly after walking dead i'm pretty excited for this.

that season was terrible and i need to return to a "nerd" show with some semblance of quality behind it now

jett

D-Member
I rewatched all of S2 over the past couple of days, definitely liked it better than during its original airing, but it really wasn't a top tier tv show at all. Hopefully S3 will be better.

I really need to reread the books too, I've been forgetting many details.

3N16MA

Banned

Season 2 makes for great television if you have no clue about the source material. However when you have a bunch of people watching who have read the books and the season starts shifting away from the source material then some vocal opinions are expected.

it is sad that they have so long breaks between seasons.

they need to have it running constantly, I rather have an episode each 2 weeks than one a week.

TCRS

Banned
yeah I suppose if I had participated in the S2 thread I would have bithced a lot too. They destroyed Aryas character. Now she's just some clever girl.

I would call her lucky rather than clever in season 2.

I was hoping we'd get some Pullo and/or Vorenus in this show at some point.

They need to get Pullo to play Victarion

Can't believe we're almost already at season 3. I don't care about storyline changes as long as there isn't anything as cringeworthy as the scene where one lannister soldier startled the other one by farting

Damn, I knew the cast was big but when you put up just about everybody's picture like that its kind of crazy to see everyone all at once.

They deserved what they got in Season 2. In particular, the miserable changes to Arya's story should be shouted from the mountain tops... not only did the changes they made make for infinitely worse television, but they completely subverted her entire character growth. I don't know what they were thinking with Arya's story.

Yeah... they could have handled Arya's story in Harrenhal much better. But I'm hoping they can still stretch it out a bit by taking some of the stuff that could have/should have happened in Harrenhal to develop her character and put it into this season.

More egregious was how they mangled Jon's storyline with Halfhand. With Arya, I can understand them changing things up for budget reasons and not having all the stuff with
Vargo and Bolton
. But with Jon they just gutted some of the super foundational moments he should have had with Halfhand for a little extra screentime with Ygritte.

Instead of Jon learning how to be a leader from basically the special forces badasses of the Night's Watch under Halfhand, then having a tense chase sequence resulting in their eventual capture, we had Jon and Halfhand look like idiots.

Moff

uhm, ok. I was looking forward to participate in this thread this season, but after the first 2 pages I think thats a terrible idea.

fallout

I felt the Tywin and Arya scenes were worthwhile and I was fine with them cutting stuff, but the fact that they changed the nature of her escape from Harrenhal really bothered me. That was such a critical moment in her character development and there was no reason that I could think of to change it as they did.

Tagg9

Thanks for the Season 2 recap link in the OT!

I swear, I've forgotten almost everything that happened last season...

Must be the cost of Eva Green's fine fine titties these days now that she's an "arrived" celebrity.

I bet you're right; I never watched the show but I do remember hearing they bid a lot to get her. Just based on clips it almost looks like a SyFy episode (or Dany's trip to Quarth).

Perhaps the biggest lesson is that picking the right lead actors can make or break your show. Camelot has some big names like Green, but I think it's fair to say they fucked up in casting Arthur. Jamie Cambell Bower just doesn't work on appearance or acting levels, as a lead man. I think the show could have gotten by if they had really nailed that role with a convincing young actor.

IMO that really drives home the point that Game Of Thrones dodged a bullet when Tamzin Merchant dropped out of the Dany role. Clarke may be a less experienced actress but she owns the part in a way that I don't believe Merchant could have; I do believe Clarke suffers from the Emma Watson syndrome of talking loud in an incredulous voice to display emotion...but she does a good job of expressing the power and prestige of the character; it's no wonder she's so popular with female fans. She's also very attractive whereas Merchant isn't. That's kind of an unfair point but it's the world we live in.

3N16MA

Banned
I bet you're right; I never watched the show but I do remember hearing they bid a lot to get her. Just based on clips it almost looks like a SyFy episode (or Dany's trip to Quarth).

Perhaps the biggest lesson is that picking the right lead actors can make or break your show. Camelot has some big names like Green, but I think it's fair to say they fucked up in casting Arthur. Jamie Cambell Bower just doesn't work on appearance or acting levels, as a lead man. I think the show could have gotten by if they had really nailed that role with a convincing young actor.

IMO that really drives home the point that Game Of Thrones dodged a bullet when Tamzin Merchant dropped out of the Dany role. Clarke may be a less experienced actress but she owns the part in a way that I don't believe Merchant could have; I do believe Clarke suffers from the Emma Watson syndrome of talking loud in an incredulous voice to display emotion...but she does a good job of expressing the power and prestige of the character; it's no wonder she's so popular with female fans. She's also very attractive whereas Merchant isn't. That's kind of an unfair point but it's the world we live in.

I don't believe it's unfair at all. Dany is supposed to be very beautiful and the actor who portrays her should be easy on the eyes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm looking forward to it. I'm hopeful that they can get Arya and Jon's stories back on track, and with the book being spread out across two seasons, maybe the entire season won't feel like a "Previously On..." montage like season 2 did.

I read all the books before season 2 started, so all the changes - big and small - were very apparent to me, but it's been a year since I've read ASOS so hopefully I won't notice the changes as much.

Only the Enlightened thread comes close to that.

lol, no it doesn't.

Levi

Banned
Hilarious that Moop was so mad about about the idea that people might have criticisms of a show that hasn't even aired yet. Uh, we don't know of it's good or not yet, dude. Let us at least watch the damn show before you jump down our throats for opinions it is impossible to have yet.

That said, this season is automatically the best season because 1. Daario and 2. The ASOS
tub scene with Jamie and Brienne looks to have made the cut

3N16MA

Banned
Hilarious that Moop was so mad about about the idea that people might have criticisms of a show that hasn't even aired yet. Uh, we don't know of it's good or not yet, dude. Let us at least watch the damn show before you jump down our throats for opinions it is impossible to have yet.

That said, this season is automatically the best season because 1. Daario and 2. The ASOS

ASOS:
Yea, seeing Brienne in a tub makes me hot :)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
it is sad that they have so long breaks between seasons.

they need to have it running constantly, I rather have an episode each 2 weeks than one a week.

To have it running "constantly" throughout the year they'd have to air an episode every 5 weeks or so.

Screw Daario, I can't wait until we get to AFFC
Darkstar. Cause he's all hardcore and of the night and shit.

Yonafunu

I really hate what I've seen of Daario so far, though.
Mind you, I don't have any casting suggestions or anything, so disregard my comment as you please, but ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom