• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ommegang announces next Game of Thrones beer: Take the Black Stout

game-of-thrones-beer-take-the-black-stout.jpg

Trasher

I never got a hold of their Iron Throne ale. :(

Yeah I've yet to be able to try it either, still not available in my area.

----------------------------

Sepinwall interview with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

It's pretty good. A solid blonde ale in my opinion. Nothing too crazy though really.

I was able to find a case of 12 here in LA when it was first released. They sold out everywhere around town within a few days though. Then they released a bit more right before the show finished airing, and I found one bottle at my local Whole Foods. That stuff must have sold out so fast. I bet they didn't anticipate it selling so well.

It's pretty funny if you check ebay for the empty bottles. They were selling for close to $8. Just for an empty bottle. I kept all of mine of course haha. Still have the cardboard box they came in as well!

Ruze789

WiC.net said:
Ommegang has said that given the overwhelming demand for Iron Throne Blonde Ale, they will be brewing up and distributing even more Take the Black Stout. The beer will be available in the US, beginning this fall.

Hopefully that should make it a bit easier to find. I did manage to track down a total of 5 Iron Throne bottles, though I ended up sharing or giving away all but one of the bottles. It reminds me a lot of Sam Adams Summer Ale, which I love.

Okay thanks.

This questions regards things that happened in ASOS after the point where Season 3 ends:

I'm at the part where ASOS
Joff chokes and Sansa escapes.
What I don't understand is
How did Sansa know that something was going to happen that night to allow her to escape? She had clothes and she was prepared to escape but I don't remember her having a conversation with anyone planning her escape.

If this is information that I will learn later than I apologize.

Okay thanks.

This questions regards things that happened in ASOS after the point where Season 3 ends:

I'm at the part where ASOS
Joff chokes and Sansa escapes.
What I don't understand is
How did Sansa know that something was going to happen that night to allow her to escape? She had clothes and she was prepared to escape but I don't remember her having a conversation with anyone planning her escape.

If this is information that I will learn later than I apologize.

ASOS
Ser Dontos

Iksenpets

Banned
Yes I know he ASOS
helped her escape that night. But when was it all set up? Or has it not been said at this point?

ASOS
Dontos, through means that I don't think have been revealed yet at the point you're at in the book, was aware that the assassination was coming, and told Sansa to be ready to flee the town. He told her there would be a commotion during the wedding during which she could escape and to have her things ready to go.

Speevy

Banned
People in this thread often talk about how they nailed or screwed up certain parts of the book.

What about locations?

Like, which locations were really close to the books' description?

Which ones totally missed the mark?

Which ones were different, but in a good way?

Helmholtz

People in this thread often talk about how they nailed or screwed up certain parts of the book.

What about locations?

I know a lot of this is probably CGI, but the depictions of the wall/beyond the wall, the eyrie, and harrenhall stand out in my mind. Winterfell was also pretty close to what I pictured. Also that one long shot of the Twins in the last episode seemed quite accurate. Kings Landing for some reason isn't what I had in mind when reading the books. Not sure I like it all that much in the show, but it's fine really. Just not sure how I feel about the more exotic look, or whatever it is they went for.

I know a lot of this is probably CGI, but the depictions of the wall/beyond the wall, the eyrie, and harrenhall stand out in my mind. Winterfell was also pretty close to what I pictured. Also that one long shot of the Twins in the last episode seemed quite accurate. Kings Landing for some reason isn't what I had in mind when reading the books. Not sure I like it all that much in the show, but it's fine really. Just not sure how I feel about the more exotic look, or whatever it is they went for.

There's some CGI but I don't know if it's as much as you think. There are crews in various parts of the world filming so many of the cast members don't see each other till wrap parties.

(My buddy knows a guy who works as a Location scout for the show, they just look at pictures and travel all over the place, it's pretty nuts.)

Helmholtz

There's some CGI but I don't know if it's as much as you think. There are crews in various parts of the world filming so many of the cast members don't see each other till wrap parties.

(My buddy knows a guy who works as a Location scout for the show, they just look at pictures and travel all over the place, it's pretty nuts.)
Yeah, true, but I was thinking of some of the long shots such as the Eyrie which are definitely not real, however closely represent what I pictured when reading the books.

Moff

What about locations?

I cant think of something right now that I would consider bad.
all locations are exceptionelly well done, the only bad thing about it that they dont show enough of the locations and dont show them often enough. I guess that has reasons in the budget.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

What about locations?

I sorta feel like the area right outside of the wall shouldn't be that snowy. I mean, how the hell is anyone supposed to sustain any kind of agriculture in an environment like that?

Was it that cold-looking in the book descriptions?

I sorta feel like the area right outside of the wall shouldn't be that snowy. I mean, how the hell is anyone supposed to sustain any kind of agriculture in an environment like that?

Was it that cold-looking in the book descriptions?

Nah, they pretty much in a large forest in the books. The way it looked on the TV show would have been much further north, I think.

Yeah obviously that poster is committing full time to being the biggest asshole possible.

-------------------

On a lighter (sort of) note, this is impossibly adorable:
"A Hound and his little Direwolf friend"
tumblr_moiqrkdBuq1rfj912o1_500.jpg

tumblr_moiqrkdBuq1rfj912o2_500.jpg

NekoFever

I didn't mind the look of Winterfell other than its size. The show makes it look like a tiny castle with 20 people in it.
That happens with a lot of the locations, and it's kind of my biggest criticism of the TV show. Qarth is meant to be this opulent, rich, vibrant city with statues, fountains, lavish buildings everywhere and thousands of people, all surrounded by decorated walls. Then in the show it's a plain wall with one great CGI shot when the doors open, and then the whole city consists of a couple of courtyards and maybe a dozen people.

I know, budget and all that, but it's still disappointing.

agrajag

Banned
That happens with a lot of the locations, and it's kind of my biggest criticism of the TV show. Qarth is meant to be this opulent, rich, vibrant city with statues, fountains, lavish buildings everywhere and thousands of people, all surrounded by decorated walls. Then in the show it's a plain wall with one great CGI shot when the doors open, and then the whole city consists of a couple of courtyards and maybe a dozen people.

I know, budget and all that, but it's still disappointing.

and no boobies

Jacob4815

My only complaint about this season was the lack of a great battle like Blackwater.
I loved that episode in season 2!

So I have a question.. can you tell me if there will be an epic battle coming in season 4?
I don't want to know the details, answer only with a yes or no with the spoiler tag! ;)

My only complaint about this season was the lack of a great battle like Blackwater.

So I have a question.. can you tell me if there will be an epic battle coming in season 4?
I don't want to know the details, answer only with a yes or no with the spoiler tag! ;)

hell yes

Brashnir

Not-really-spoilers ASOS
There will be one small skirmish very early, and then there might be a big battle later, depending on how they choose to shoot it. A lot of the battles in the books happen "off-screen."

GrapeApes

Maybe. Depends on the budget

Speevy

Banned
Game of Thrones has JRPG cities.

Everyone is just standing around making one comment about Joffrey over and over until it's their turn to give you a quest.

YES. Not sure what those other guys are saying.

For those giving advice above about a big battle in Season 4

ASOS
When the wildlings storm the wall with the mammoths and giants with jon snow on top firing down arrows. Thats gonna be epic

I'm only 78% done with book 3 so don't spoil anything after that in your responses :)

Martin's response to the racial criticisms hurled at the finale/"white savior" scene. It's from his blog comments so I won't post a link, as multiple comments contain spoilers.

Martin:
Most of these people have obviously not read the books.

If they had, they would know there is no racial component to slavery as practiced on Essos. It is based on slavery as it existed in the ancient world. The Romans and Greek were just as willing to enslave other Greeks and Romans as they were Celts, Goths, Germans, and Africans. It's on the page.

However, when you are filming scenes in Morocco, and you put out a call for extras, it's Moroccans who show up. Most of them are darker skinned than our European actors (though there is actually a lot of different races and ethnic groups represented in the country, including Arabs, Berbers, Africans, French, etc). It is not so different from shooting a scene in Belfast and putting out a call for extras, whereupon a lot of Irish show up.

We fly our actors from country to country and continent to continent, at considerable expense, but that's not a practical consideration when dealing with extras. So in any big crowd scene, the prevailing skin color is always going to echo that of whatever the location is that you're shooting in.

But just for the record, yes, Dany is white, just as she has been from the beginning, and she may or may not be a savior (the last scene in "Mhysa" is not the end of her journey by any means), but she frees slaves of all colors, races, creeds, and nationalities.

Personally I thought the scene was bad, but my problem was more with how it was shot than the races involved per se. It just came off very cheesy.

brentech

If anything, I thought the color contrast just really highlighted her hair. Made her stand out as a Targaryen more than 'white freedom fighter'.

For those giving advice above about a big battle in Season 4

ASOS
When the wildlings storm the wall with the mammoths and giants with jon snow on top firing down arrows. Thats gonna be epic

I'm only 78% done with book 3 so don't spoil anything after that in your responses :)

the scene with
giant/mammoth getting stuck in the tunnel

/crosses fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom