• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
What about the little girl who tried to kill Dany with a roly poly scorpion before going all "little boy from The Arrival" on everyone?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
What about the little girl who tried to kill Dany with a roly poly scorpion before going all "little boy from The Arrival" on everyone?

That was someone from the Undying Ones, Pyat Pree's warlock squad from Qarth. You see her teeth were stained from the shade-of-the-evening that they drink.

dubq

Did I walk into some bizarro world where people in the season three thread don't know the different beween a Wight, a White Walker and a Warlock? o_O

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did I walk into some bizarro world where people in the season three thread don't know the different beween a Wight, a White Walker and a Warlock? o_O

They don't even look alike, I don't get the confusion. Wights look like undead humans, white walkers look like fucked up tree people.

Trasher

The confusion for show people stems from the names: white walker; wight. Those two words sound the same despite the spelling.

It's also never explained very well in the show whether "others" is an all encompassing word of both wights and white walkers. It's completely valid that someone who only watches the show would be confused by that.

As far as the warlocks go, I have no idea why there's confusion there. lolol

The confusion for show people stems from the names: white walker; wight. Those two words sound the same despite the spelling.

It's also never explained very well in the show whether "others" is an all encompassing word of both wights and white walkers. It's completely valid that someone who only watches the show would be confused by that.

They don't really use the term "others" in the show do they?

Agreed though that the confusion largely stems from wight and white sounding similar.

Speevy

Banned

Uh...because it's just out of left field and hasn't been mentioned before or since that there are little girl warlocks running around rooftops and giving people deadly Pokeballs.

GhaleonEB

They don't really use the term "others" in the show do they?

Agreed though that the confusion largely stems from wight and white sounding similar.

I managed to get through nearly all of ASoS without understanding the difference. I had to ask in the book thread. In particular their relationship to one another wasn't clear to me at all (and still isn't from the text alone, I'm going off what others have said). Maybe I missed something but Martin really dances around them. I can't blame folks for being confused.

I managed to get through nearly all of ASoS without understanding the difference. I had to ask in the book thread. In particular their relationship to one another wasn't clear to me at all (and still isn't from the text alone, I'm going off what others have said). Maybe I missed something but Martin really dances around them. I can't blame folks for being confused.

Yeah you kind of have to piece it together, but the info is there to do so. There isn't any one statement that's like "Other/White Walkers are this intelligent species and Wights are their zombie army".

Others is already used by another show. They changed it to avoid confusion there.

Yeah they were called Others in the original pilot script, but LOST was happening at that time, so that's probably why they just used the White Walkers name.

It also just might have been they thought that was a better name to go with.

hoos30

Martin's response to the racial criticisms hurled at the finale/"white savior" scene. It's from his blog comments so I won't post a link, as multiple comments contain spoilers.

Martin:

Personally I thought the scene was bad, but my problem was more with how it was shot than the races involved per se. It just came off very cheesy.

The way slavery was depicted in the books makes the show scene even worse. We know that SERIES
Jorah
had some slavery entanglements and later ADWD
some wildlings
get captured by slavers, but the show chose to go the full "great white hope" route. Yeah, non-brown extras might be hard to come by in Morroco, but you can't tell me they couldn't toss a few third grips or best boys from the crew into that shot. They did it to contrast her hair in that last spinning shot, but it was still very off putting, so much so that I'm bailing on TeamDany.

#TeamStannis ftw

Trasher

They don't really use the term "others" in the show do they

Others is already used by another show. They changed it to avoid confusion there.

Ah okay, yeah I couldn't remember if the show used that term. It all sort of blends together so I assumed they had at some point ha.

Uh...because it's just out of left field and hasn't been mentioned before or since that there are little girl warlocks running around rooftops and giving people deadly Pokeballs.

Okay I get that, but why would you assume they are a white walker/wight when those have already been established in the show? The season two finale clearly shows you what they are, and season one even did a good job of explaining their blue eyes.

dubq

Okay I get that, but why would you assume they are a white walker/wight when those have already been established in the show? The season two finale clearly shows you what they are, and season one even did a good job of explaining their blue eyes.

Yeah.. and the fact that Dany says "The warlocks.." right after the kid tries to kill her.

the biggest mystery in ADWD
is jon snow's fate.
i don't understand GRRM making jon the focal point of this north/wall business, developing him into a strong yet humble leader, amassing a huge army, rebuilding the wall, ready to retake winterfell...only to have it taken all away from him in the end...?
and what happened to jon was witnessed by everyone so you know GRRM is setting up for some kind of dire/hopeless situation at the wall where the wildings and nightwatchers are going at each other's throats.

what does GRRM has in store for jon snow?

also why did jon store the 2 willdings bodies in the ice cell? some kind of foreshadowing?
and is there a significance with his burned hand itching at certain times?
another thing, we know brienne has ned's broken valyrian sword, and is heading toward north to find sansa, is it possible the sword may will find its way to the wall and jon yea...?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ADWD
Jon will have the loyalty of the Wildlings through the wall. It's likely whoever the next Lord Commander is, tries to kill them all, or send them back through the wall. I think long term the Watch is done for, and the Wildlings take up defense along the wall.

Trasher

is jon snow's fate.
i don't understand GRRM making jon the focal point of this north/wall business, developing him into a strong yet humble leader, amassing a huge army, rebuilding the wall, ready to retake winterfell...only to have it taken all away from him in the end...?
and what happened to jon was witnessed by everyone so you know GRRM is setting up for some kind of dire/hopeless situation at the wall where the wildings and nightwatchers are going at each other's throats.

also why did jon store the 2 willdings bodies in the ice cell? some kind of foreshadowing?
another thing, we know brienne has ned's broken valyrian sword, and is heading toward north to find sansa, is it possible the sword may will find its way to the wall and jon yea...?

I know you properly tagged this and everything, but there is a book thread where these things are probably best put and discussed in.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433233

Just in case you weren't aware of it.

is jon snow's fate.

You should discuss that in the book spoiler thread. And re-read ADWD's prologue...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Durr hurr maybe you should write the books amirite?

No book is above criticism.
AFFC
Rather than have these stories about Stoneheart told throughout AFFC from various points of view (Letters to Kings Landing, and told directly to Brienne and Jamie), with the reader knowing full well who it is, I think it would have been a great mystery to try and guess for yourself in the book, and get the reveal of her identity when Brienne does at the end.

Finishing the season convinced me to go back and continue ASOS. Wow, the opening of next season is going to be jam packed. Just read the (ASOS)
Royal Wedding.

So much happens in this book, god damn

_Isaac

I haven't started this season yet, but I wanted to ask a question. I've only read the first three books in the series, and I know this season supposedly covers the first half of A Storm of Swords, but that doesn't mean a bunch of stuff hasn't been shuffled around. I remember in season two, they put in some ASoS stuff in there. Does this season of the show spoil anything from the fourth book?

jett

D-Member
I haven't started this season yet, but I wanted to ask a question. I've only read the first three books in the series, and I know this season supposedly covers the first half of A Storm of Swords, but that doesn't mean a bunch of stuff hasn't been shuffled around. I remember in season two, they put in some ASoS stuff in there. Does this season of the show spoil anything from the fourth book?

In short, yes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Nothing is spoiled from the fourth book, but there's something pretty significant from the 5th book.

JDSN

Banned
Just catching up with this, great scene with Tyrion and Samsa, it kinda makes me wish they delayed the news of RW so we could have a little bit more of that for a while, the guy that plays Roose Bolton is great, I love how in that scene with Walter Frey he is obviously disinterested in his shit but still plays along, what a cold bastard.

The Stannis thing just played in an embarrasing manner that im surprised Davos didnt straight out called him a little bitch on the spot, they really failed to grasp that just as bad as the Halfhand interactions during S2.

Frost_Ace

odcramM.jpg

LOL.

hoos30

There is a pretty large spoiler in S3 from AFFC but honestly it is nothing that is going ruin your enjoyment (if it is actually possible to enjoy the last two books).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There is a pretty large spoiler in S3 from AFFC but honestly it is nothing that is going ruin your enjoyment (if it is actually possible to enjoy the last two books).

There is a massive spoiler from ADWD in this season.

The entire Theon plotline

dubq

There is a massive spoiler from ADWD in this season.

The entire Theon plotline

I would hardly say it's the entire plotline.. If anything it's more like ADWD
filling in the blanks since we see none of this stuff actually happen in the books.

Levi

Banned
When does the off season thread start? Oh, and unmarked spoilers from all books, right? I don't want to deal with that bullshit while discussing Dorne casting rumors. I'm all set to be furious when the Viper is some white brit and all the sand snakes are cut, I won't be able to deal with also trying to protect people from learning what happens in a book older than half the posters on gaming side.

Shows been on long enough that anyone who gives a fuck is caught up by now, and the rest should be savvy enough not to click on ASOIAF threads. It's their responsibility to avoid spoilers, I am so over having this discussion held back coddling people who can't be bothered to read 5 books.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I had no idea this season was going to be THAT spoilerific. So it basically ruins the rest of the books. :/
Not at all. Also, a number of events in S3 indicate that things will play out quite differently to the books.

I would hardly say it's the entire plotline.. If anything it's more like ADWD
filling in the blanks since we see none of this stuff actually happen in the books.
Well, ADWD
The season 3 stuff happens in the books, but it's told through thinking back on it at a later point.
When does the off season thread start? Oh, and unmarked spoilers from all books, right? I don't want to deal with that bullshit while discussing Dorne casting rumors. I'm all set to be furious when the Viper is some white brit and all the sand snakes are cut, I won't be able to deal with also trying to protect people from learning what happens in a book older than half the posters on gaming side.

Shows been on long enough that anyone who gives a fuck is caught up by now, and the rest should be savvy enough not to click on ASOIAF threads. It's their responsibility to avoid spoilers, I am so over having this discussion held back coddling people who can't be bothered to read 5 books.
Typically an "Offseason OT" happens for shows because the Season OT reaches 20,000 posts. We are quite a ways from that. Now, with the nature of this show being an adaption, I can see the desire for an offseason thread.

I'm thinking untagged spoilers for the Season 4 OT and I guess we'd do that as well for an Offseason thread. I'm out of town until late Monday night, so assuming that there is the demand from our book reader community to have an untagged offseason thread to discuss casting, filming, adaption choices and all that pre-season jazz, I can make and post one next week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Preach.

I'm thinking untagged spoilers for the Season 4 OT and I guess we'd do that as well for an Offseason thread. I'm out of town until late Monday night, so assuming that there is the demand from our book reader community to have an untagged offseason thread to discuss casting, filming, adaption choices and all that pre-season jazz, I can make and post one next week.

Yes to the untagged spoilers season 4 thread and yes to the untagged offseason thread (but NOT untagged TWOW)! It made sense to spoiler tag book stuff for the first few seasons, but I think we should move to unmarked spoilers going forward.

I couldn't agree more. I mean, I read more than 5 books most months and I'm nowhere near being the biggest bibliophile I know.. Anybody who wanted to catch up has, and if they haven't they should stay out of the book reader's threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom