• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GameDevPaidMe Hashtag Trending in the United States on Twitter

saintjules

Thought it might be an interesting discussion despite some stories being known via Gaming Journalists.

#GameDevPaidMe is now trending on Twitter in the United States. People are actively stating their income history with several Game Developers.

Some examples:

Last edited:

saintjules

Or is this another thing on the seemingly never ending list of requirements for those wanting to become certified social media narcissists?

Seems people are actively sharing their information and I think it sparked due to the ongoing protests. (POC has been mentioned).

GHG

Gold Member
I actually thought devs at studios like that were being paid more..

They should be, but they aren't.

There's a bit of a race to the bottom scenario going on at the moment across all facets of software development due to the increase in the number of people learning/studying it and the amount of talent coming out of developing countries.

Just means you need to try harder to stand out and stand your ground in negotiations. People need to know their worth and stick to it.

I sometimes hire freelancers to help me with larger projects and the frequency/speed at which some of them drop their pants is disappointing.

Last edited:
It's rare that a "tester" is employed directly by the developer, usually they are brought in through temp agencies. I did that for a couple of days back in 2005 at Activision. They stuck me on a Gameboy tony hawk game and it was pretty much already done so I just spent 2-3 days straining my eyes looking at that small screen playing a game I hated while others were testing one of Raven's X-Men games right behind me lol. I quit, the pay sucked and the 10 or so mile drive took at least 90minutes each day with the crazy morning traffic.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ those salaries are shit. I’m clearly doing better than I thought as a mere enterprise dev. And I get the bonus of not having to deal with cunts on Twitter. Seriously only kchronis is making decent money there and is probably having to live somewhere ridiculously expensive too. Actually they probably all do in which case you can halve those figures to represent actual buying power.

Top Bottom