• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra - Tipping Game Creators $10 or $20 on Top of the $70 Price is a Great Idea.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Then the Mike Ybarra tweet was not directed at you. He listed off 5 games that all fell in the AAA SP space. He's thinking about ways to get more of those types of games made.

The horde seems to demand more of those games while being resistant to any idea that might make that more likely.
He did mentioned Elden Ring which was fantastic game without having high tech graphics or any GaaS crap and sold damn well and soon they are about release big expansion which I will gladly pay.

reinking

Gold Member
True, but the conversation naturally makes the later more palatable.
No. It really doesn't make it any more or any less palatable than it is now. People have already accepted microtransactions. If anything, "tipping" might make it less so because they are not going to take away one way to take in money just because the other exists.

I do not mind the occasional price increase, I do not recall saying anything negative about the increase to $70, but studios/publishers are always going to want more money. There is no ceiling because if they hit that one, they will raise the roof to new heights. What should happen as they get close to that ceiling, they should rein in their budgets and our expectations. Could it lead to more AA instead and less AAA? Maybe. Would it matter if we are playing good games? Probably not. My point is, the market needs to go on a diet and will correct itself if we stop overfeeding it every time a predatory practice is implemented.

I want to make one more point about the video game industry constantly asking for more money these days and then I will shut up. Some people like to point out that console gaming is on its way out because less young people are entering the market. Do you think it might have something to do with the cost of gaming these days? I am not talking about the cost of the consoles or $70 games. I am talking about the stuff you seem to like. I can see where non-gaming parents are going to say fuck the right off to a kid wanting $70+ for a video game and then wanting an additional $30-$100+ to get the full enjoyment out of it. Not to mention that "online" tax we have to pay. IMO, the constant price gouging is not going to be what saves the video game industry, but what is going to kill it.

Last edited:
Then the Mike Ybarra tweet was not directed at you. He listed off 5 games that all fell in the AAA SP space. He's thinking about ways to get more of those types of games made.

The horde seems to demand more of those games while being resistant to any idea that might make that more likely.
Nah, I won't tip anyone, they have tons of money. If the devs want more money, they should start by firing those who "work" at the useless diversity departments within the company.

Coconutt

Tippings getting out of hands had a couple of local places with tip jars on the drive thru window. What am I tipping you for at that point?

james franco wtf GIF

DeVeAn

No way. Tips end up in the wrong hands and won’t work as intended.

Focus on making tighter games with fewer issues please and thanks.

xVodevil

Sure yeah, I'm gonna tip based on every pre written apology letter for rushed releases, clearly poor AAA companies are just short on my tip money before delivering a quality product just like it was baseline standard procedure 2 or so decades ago..

DaGwaphics

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have a donation option available of some kind. As long as it is totally optional. I can see people that put a lot of time into some of these games wanting to contribute as a thank you to the devs for keeping things running.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Buying CE of games is my main way of showing support for certain devs.

Ironically I bought the CE of Diablo 4 and didn't feel I got my moneys worth from that and in no way would tip his old company for that effort (and told him as much)
I agree with this that if you want to show some love someone could get a higher edition.

My idea is that if I buy your game, I’m tipping you.

Last edited:
You’re the only person on this site who derails a thread into oblivion
hysterical-laughter.gif

No way you’re stating this on a forum where 75% of it’s userbase gets thrown into a frenzy(and derails threads left and right) whenever they see three capital letters or a baby logo within orbit of any video game.

DaGwaphics

Tippings getting out of hands had a couple of local places with tip jars on the drive thru window. What am I tipping you for at that point?

james franco wtf GIF

As long as its optional It isn't a big deal to me. Funniest one I've seen is a non-charity tip jar at a convenient store counter. LOL

Solarstrike

Gold Member
How about a tip jar for the user end for once. One where people all over the world can contribute, just for gamers and gamers only to buy games with. When it gets up to a Trillion dollars, they could vote on which studios to buy and force to make good games instead of trash like 3 million rogue-likes and deck-builders.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
That's... not how business works. Anywhere. "Oh you enjoyed the thing? You should give them more money!" No no - that's not a special thing that earns superfluous financial gains above the sticker price. That's what the sticker price should represent: a product I enjoy. That's not "above and beyond", that's just the baseline.

Only in an industry that posts record profits and then fires 15% of its work force, hands its executives eight digit salaries with seven digit bonuses, rides USD$300m budgets to deliver bloated one-and-done wanna-be movies or astoundingly incomplete GaaS MTX factories, whose developers lecture, insult, berate, denigrate, and ostracise huge swaths of their customers, and have open distain for the fans and customers who supported and built this industry over the last 60 years, could they look at the state of things and unironically proclaim "We deserve free money!". No wonder this industry is spiralling towards a crash. Speed the fucking day.

Nydius

I ain't tipping mystery "devs" who have salaried jobs. Imagine if I started demanding tips from coworkers because I fixed their computer or maintained their network (aka my job). I'd be laughed out of the office. Beyond that, the games he listed have hundreds of people who work on them. Who, exactly, would any "tip" go to? This wouldn't work out the way he thinks it would. Management would just collect all the tips and hoard them, like a bad tip-pooling restaurant.

Ybarra posted the stupidest take I've read on the internet this week, and that's saying something.

AJUMP23

Ya not a chance.

it is like a school I got a degree from asking me for money. We already had the exchange when I bought the degree. The same when I paid for the game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ya not a chance.

it is like a school I got a degree from asking me for money. We already had the exchange when I bought the degree. The same when I paid for the game.
Ah yes.

The good ol Alumni Donations letters you get in the mail. My parents have been getting them since I graduate in the 90s because I never changed my mailing address.

So let me get this straight. You want alumni money from me to build more buildings and pay profs more and I get nothing o t of it going forward. No thanks.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Management should be 'tipping' you when your game performs really well in the form of bonuses. But lets be real, all those go to senior managers or the publisher. Tips would go to the same useless people who didn't do any of the work. Maybe just start a go fund me or something. The idea is pretty insulting honestly in this envrioment. A lot of the world doesn't have a 'tipping' culture too.

This already happens, deluxe editions are basically a tip. DLC also, most DLCs cost anywhere from 1/6($10) to 1/3($20) of the full game, while the actual content is more like 1/10th or less of the full regular game, people buy DLC as much as a way of thanking the developer for the game so they don’t object to the pricing.

Boss Mog

Yeah, why don't I give extra money to devs who openly hate me for my race and gender, say they don't make games for me and see their games only as tools to push agendas and propaganda. News flash, I'm not giving those guys $70 to begin with anymore.

simpatico

I do this on rare occasions. Killing Floor 2 had a really small cosmetic DLC. I don't care for skins and stuff but I played so much of the game I wanted to throw the devs and extra $5

Sleepwalker

Sure, I'll tip developers if I finish their game and end up loving it.

On the flipside I expect a full refund and maybe a coupon for a free game next time if I find it to be utter shit.

What's that? No? Didn't think so.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's... not how business works. Anywhere. "Oh you enjoyed the thing? You should give them more money!" No no - that's not a special thing that earns superfluous financial gains above the sticker price. That's what the sticker price should represent: a product I enjoy. That's not "above and beyond", that's just the baseline.

Only in an industry that posts record profits and then fires 15% of its work force, hands its executives eight digit salaries with seven digit bonuses, rides USD$300m budgets to deliver bloated one-and-done wanna-be movies or astoundingly incomplete GaaS MTX factories, whose developers lecture, insult, berate, denigrate, and ostracise huge swaths of their customers, and have open distain for the fans and customers who supported and built this industry over the last 60 years, could they look at the state of things and unironically proclaim "We deserve free money!". No wonder this industry is spiralling towards a crash. Speed the fucking day.
Video games have a few advantages over other industries when it comes to grifting.

1. Digital payments at the click of a button. E-tipping is really just an extension on current mtx or dlc. Except this time you get nothing out of it. Not even a shitty horse armour or faded wallpaper

2. Game companies chum up with gamers in hopes they connect with the game company. Whether it's the twitter handler, coder, director or whomever is the face of the studio gabbing, they try to get gamer's attention

Add it up, and they are trying to play with people's emotions. If they can convince you that you are part of their one big happy family and their coders need extra cash on top of their six-digit salaries and record sales/profits which most big game companies at (or close to it), it'll may make you buy more shit contributing to their corporate coffers. In this example, tipping. Other companies typically cant do these points as most arent digital downloads and quick payments and most companies simply sell you a product or service and that's the end of it. You dont have Samsung or your local plumber egging you on for e-store purchases, donations, tipping or trying to be your best buddy.

Do what you want gamers, but I know i wont fall for any of this grifting.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

So do it. Send a big ole bag of money to the studios. Absolutely nothing stopping you from putting action behind your bleeding heart words. Studios are kinda big so that’s gonna be a lot but don’t worry because they’ll tweet what a gentleman you are.

Top Bottom