• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass is no longer a good value, it's now a necessity

Dolomite

EA play : battlefield, star wars, mass effect, 2k/ madden/ Fifa

Bathesda : Doom, fallout The Elder Scrolls, Star field ect

2nd/3rd party partners: The Medium, Scorn, the Ascent ect

And of course the 15 internal studios producing next gen content : Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, MSFS, State of decay 3, Craig Infinite, and of course The Initiative's new "AAAA" IP

all offering Day and Date with no mention of any GP price increase on the Horizon.
Gaf fam, it's unreal. exclusivity notwithstanding, this is an absolute must have value. Aside from Steam I don't see any competition. Like the title says, GP is no longer an "option" for anyone that considers themselves an enthusiast(yes Gamepass-for-PC master race, you too. get in on this group hug)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So using Linux is like being the vegan of the computer world? Learn something new every day.
Exactly like that.

images

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I disagree. Some may want their games to own permanently, not want a monthly fee, and be fine with the existing paradigm.

I do agree that the value proposition is simply becoming enormous. Netflix of Gaming, hopefully sans the pedo movie and the brainwashing, isn't far off.

Dolomite

Why is it a necessity exactly? Are these games exclusive to gamepass now?
Damn near free on Gamepass, so yup. Exclusives don't create a need, they fill one.

to be clear if Gamepass offered only multiplats it would be a better value than buying the same titles 1 by 1 for $70 a pop

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
You guys are too predictable.
How is it predictable? i am not implying anything bad here.

All i am saying that GamePass as a subscription on PC is an amazing proposition and value, play High quality games day 1 with a really cheap subscription.

I dont have an Xbox so i cant comment on that. But tommorow i'll be placing a preorder on the series s to go with my ps5 digital preorder.

Last edited:

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
I'd have to disagree. I love rebooting my older games from time to time. I still play Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age Origins and many more. Gamepass isnt for me but I can certainly understand it's value.

CeeJay

I'm not sure about a necessity OP but that 15 million subscribers is now going to get a lot bigger a lot faster, i can tell you that much.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I usually buy the games i'm hyped for, but it's a good service to not waste money on games that i'm not certain of, like a huge demo library.

Of course it was better at 1 euro a month during the beta on pc, now a bit less.

Last edited:

NickFire

The value and necessity comes down to available play time and style imo. I may one day agree with OP once next gen games really start coming out in force, or even shown off and given a realistic coming soon street date. But right now I still play a small amount of games at once, and there isn't a single game that I want to play and don't have.

xion4360

I'd have to disagree. I love rebooting my older games from time to time. I still play Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age Origins and many more. Gamepass isnt for me but I can certainly understand it's value.

so the games that you like that much you go ahead and purchase with an added discount. win win.

LOLCats

Banned
at full price its hard to swallow, but at discounted rates its totally worth it ($5-9 per month).

Last edited:

Stuart360

I know i'm biased as i'm on PC but owning disks is such a dated concept, and i'm 99% certain this gen will be the last gen with a drive anyway. Maybe its best to accept the digital era and move forward.
You also have to remember that a lot of games are 'one and done', these are perfect for a subscription model, and even multiplayer games are fine, as long as you keep that subscription.

Getting 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate for a dollar was the best gaming deal of all time.

They're not offering that anymore and it was never 3 years for $1. It was first 3 months for $1 and discounted for the remaining. In fact it's gone down to $1 for first month only for a while and they've grown to 15 million subs, 50% increase in 1 year with GP essentially becoming more expensive. So I think it's growing organically with pre-XSX, pre-Zenimax. I wouldn't be shocked if it grew to 30 million subs by Nov 2021.

sobaka770

Banned
No thanks, I'd rather buy my games rather than rent. I do not see how it is a necessity considering that it still has very few games I actually like and have time to play.
Moreover I do not like the way Gamepass may change the industry and while it's a good value now for some I do not support it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Getting 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate for a dollar was the best gaming deal of all time.
Me too. Got it till 2022. Of course Bethesda's heavy hitters won't even be out at that time, but the value is insane.

For any of you GP Ultimate naysayers who thinks $180/yr (in which $60 is Gold membership anyway so really $120), where you get tons of gaes from MS, third parties, EA Access, Bethesda, Xcloud streaming, on console and PC, and still think it's a rip off it must mean the games you play are very limited and the games you like don't come out to GP (Call of Duty) or you are willing to pay high price for launch games, and pay for Gold separatey.

And that's totally fine.

But don't say GPU is a bad deal.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No thanks, I'd rather buy my games rather than rent. I do not see how it is a necessity considering that it still has very few games I actually like and have time to play.
Moreover I do not like the way Gamepass may change the industry and while it's a good value now for some I do not support it.
Then you must hate Netflix and Spotify because for $10/mth you can watch and listen to tons of stuff and never need to buy movies and shows one at a time at $10-$20 per BR disc ever again.

GloveSlap

They're not offering that anymore and it was never 3 years for $1. It was first 3 months for $1 and discounted for the remaining. In fact it's gone down to $1 for first month only for a while and they've grown to 15 million subs, 50% increase in 1 year with GP essentially becoming more expensive. So I think it's growing organically with pre-XSX, pre-Zenimax. I wouldn't be shocked if it grew to 30 million subs by Nov 2021.
That dollar deal actually converted existing Xbox Live subscription to Game Pass Ultimate. The most Xbox Live you could stack before doing the deal was 3 years, so it actually was a dollar for 3 years.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm sure Gamepass is good value but the big problem for me its still not going to have games I care about. Will Gamepass have 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim or Monster Hunter Rise?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That dollar deal actually converted existing Xbox Live subscription to Game Pass Ultimate. The most Xbox Live you could stack before doing the deal was 3 years, so it actually was a dollar for 3 years.
Yup. True.

I did the $1 thing last summer. Bought 3 years of gold, then upgrades for $1 + tax.

I guess MS changed it lately. I'm positive they still had the 3 year max thing earlier this year.

Fbh

Not sure about "necessity", specially since most games in your post aren't even out (most of them don't even have a release date yet).
Gamepass is definitely getting better and better but I personally treat it the same way I do Netflix or Amazon Prime. Something to subscribe to for a month or two when there's new stuff on it that I want to play.

I thought EA access was only a catalog of older EA titles. If all new EA games are being added to gamepass day and date, that's potentially even bigger news than the Bathesda acquisition.

oagboghi2

Damn near free on Gamepass, so yup. Exclusives don't create a need, they fill one.

to be clear if Gamepass offered only multiplats it would be a better value than buying the same titles 1 by 1 for $70 a pop
It only matters if you care about these games. It's not as if I will start playing TES6 tomorrow if I subscribe to GP today.

The problems GP always had are still here, and there isn't anything necessary to "own" on it.

Top Bottom