• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass is no longer a good value, it's now a necessity

highrider

Banned
Gamepass is ideal for someone like me that games maybe 4 or 5 hours a week. I also like that Xbox is is big on bc, I like being able to have my Lost Planet, Halo and a few others. I think it’s a great value personally.

Gamepass is great. I personally do not use it though. Reason is simple, I spend hundreds dollars on games every month. I own like thousands of games. No reason to subscribe.

giphy.gif

lol that's what microsoft wants you to think, just like how it managed to convince the gullible playerbase that paying for online multiplayer was "a necessity".

Humdinger

Gold Member
I can see trying out GP in 3 or 4 years, when Xbox has enough games I am interested in to justify a purchase. Until then, I'm fine.

I see GP as a good option for people who play a ton of games, indies, or for those who are on a budget. I'm not like that, though. I have plenty of spending money and I'm selective in my gaming. I take a long time playing through games, particularly the kinds I'd be interested in from Xbox. For instance, I played Skyrim three times for a total of about six months. I'd rather just buy and own the game, rather than rent it for six months. Same goes for most of the large-scale RPGs I'd be interested in from MS.

For the rest of the catalog, I might sample it here and there, like I do Netflix -- subscribe for a couple months until I've seen what I wanted, then unsubscribe.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Im "concerned" about the viability of GamePass. At this point it will have too many games to play.

Did i mention that I'm concerned?

Aidah

After adding Bethesda games, it'll probably be something I sub to for a month every now and then when a 1st party game I want to play comes out. EA play kind of sucks by the way, I have a year sub that I haven't touched in months.

bender

What time is it?
After adding Bethesda games, it'll probably be something I sub to for a month every now and then when a 1st party game I want to play comes out. EA play kind of sucks by the way, I have a year sub that I haven't touched in months.

That's kind of my mindset too. I think it makes a lot of sense to wait until mid-to-late generation to pickup the current Xbox platform that gets you a revision and/or a price drop or two and then play catchup on their catalogue with a six months to a year of Game Pass. The ultimate frugality plan.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
EA play : battlefield, star wars, mass effect, 2k/ madden/ Fifa

Bathesda : Doom, fallout The Elder Scrolls, Star field ect

2nd/3rd party partners: The Medium, Scorn, the Ascent ect

And of course the 15 internal studios producing next gen content : Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, MSFS, State of decay 3, Craig Infinite, and of course The Initiative's new "AAAA" IP

all offering Day and Date with no mention of any GP price increase on the Horizon.
Gaf fam, it's unreal. exclusivity notwithstanding, this is an absolute must have value. Aside from Steam I don't see any competition. Like the title says, GP is no longer an "option" for anyone that considers themselves an enthusiast(yes Gamepass-for-PC master race, you too. get in on this group hug)

EA Play isn't really all that much of a win. The vast majority of their games are trash. Also, over half the games you mentioned either are completely up in the air whether or not they will be good or are a good year or 5 (especially in relation to the numerous games that have only been in preproduction recently like Everwild or haven't even really been started like ES6) away.

I still consider GP to be a good option for those with limited funds and don't mind the concept of prolonged rentals, but I would rather own my games physically (which is why I am buying the disc-based version of the Series X as soon as an exclusive lands on it). Plus, lets not forget that 2nd and 3rd parties can still remove their games from the service, as we see time and again. It kind fo sucks that you are in the middle of a game only to have it leave the service and you are unable to finish/continue.

Last edited:

chikydee

Neo Member
Really good value and I'm glad the option is available, but personally I wouldn't get that much use out of it, I only play a handful of games a year and am fairly selective about which ones.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I only really play Sony, capcom and square enix games...

So still pointless to me. Plus, I don't have a shortage of games between all the various ways to get free games.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Lmao, I care only about Battlefield , Tes and maaaaaybe DooM. And who has time to play all free games?

What kind of madman have all the time in the world and spend it solely on gaming. Teens?

CitizenX

Banned
# of games on game pass less than 20 hrs. < 5%.
Avg game time of most games - 20-30+ hrs. Some 100's of hrs. A lot still receiving updates years later.
Avg. game time of most casuals- 10 hrs a wk.

if you dont want to own or play what you want its a service that is solid in every way. Right now the newest hot games are no where near the service so what do you do?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Counter Opinion: There are only a small number of games worth playing. Giving me all the games for a low price has no allure for me.

sn0man

Are you on LInux? Cause only Linux bois alway make sure that they are going to say what type of OS they are having. No hate on Linux, it's awesome : )
Rock the Linux and if MS keeps publishing on Steam then we got no problems.

sainraja

It's a good option for sure but I am just not sure I am looking forward to a subscription based future. We've got soo many subscriptions services as it is.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
What if Microsoft makes the Microsoft store games compatible with Wine and Valve's work?
If Game Pass were available, say, as a subscription I could use via Steam, I'd definitely consider it. My library's massively inflated by the fact that four other users share their libraries with me, so I've got 8881 games right now, and I might not really have any need for Game Pass at the moment.

Top Bottom