• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass is no longer a good value, it's now a necessity

Dolomite

Try to keep in mind how unlikely it is that 15 million people are actively paying $10 a month for GP.

A good number of them (myself included) are probably in it from the Summer 2019 deal that let you convert up to 3 yrs of Live Gold to GamePass Ultimate for $1.

Don’t let subscriber numbers fool you.
I mean...if half of the subscriptions, for sake of conversation, we're $1 promos $75 million a month is still more money than any company knows what to do with.

No, do the math.

If 7.5 million are paying $12 on average(regular vs ultimate) and the other 7.5 million are $3 for 3 years it comes out to $1 billion a year with current sub-base.

Jagz

It's not an option, as in I don't use Windows 10 so it's literally not an option? :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Use Steam Proton? Most Xbox PC games are on Steam, and play fine with Proton. Still some issues with online multiplayer anti-cheat, but most single player games work fine.

Andodalf

Banned
I mean...if half of the subscriptions, for sake of conversation, we're $1 promos $75 million a month is still more money than any company knows what to do with.

Almost a billion a year, with so many being almost free, and that doesn't even account for all the DLC bought for those games.

PerfectDark

Banned
Doesn't EA Access or EA play just give you 10hr trial of new EA games? I know because I use liek 5x ea access accounts for Madden.

Not for everyone. I'm super picky about what games I play and only one or two every few years will grab my attention. I'm still happy to pay $60-70 for a game.

I'd love for MS to offer a demo service though. $1 to the entire gamepass catalogue but you can't play more than 30 mins of any game. That's really all I need.
This.

I don’t think games are as consumable as books, movies, or TV shows. Games are things that people commit months/years to.

I can see GamePass being valuable to game designers who want to try a little bit of every new game at a fair price. But your average consumer probably won’t care for it.
I won’t pretend to know exact numbers, but Microsoft’s been pretty quiet in announcing GamePass profits, which implies that they’re nothing to brag about.

Seems like they’re playing the long game here: once all those $1 Gold-to-Ultimate subs run out in 2022, will those people feel compelled to re-sub to GamePass at full price? Repeat business is what Microsoft (or any business) really wants, after all.

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Am I missing something or does having gamepass mean you can’t buy said game? You wanna own the game? Buy it, in fact I think a huge part of gamepass is the ability to get a discount on said games u enjoy before they are removed. Win win for me, I get to play games with basically no time or content limits and if I really like it I also get a discount.

chonga

They're not offering that anymore and it was never 3 years for $1. It was first 3 months for $1 and discounted for the remaining. In fact it's gone down to $1 for first month only for a while and they've grown to 15 million subs, 50% increase in 1 year with GP essentially becoming more expensive. So I think it's growing organically with pre-XSX, pre-Zenimax. I wouldn't be shocked if it grew to 30 million subs by Nov 2021.
Yes it was and you can still do it providing you haven't done it before, I did it the other week in my country. You convert your Gold membership into a GPU and cost is $1 or equivalent in your country.

If you have 3 years Gold paid-up then you get GPU for 3 years for just $1.

nordique

Unreal value. And I got it until 2024....

Gonna be a good several years of gaming. Just as I'm starting to get more time again too 🙃

DeaDPo0L84

As someone who buys every platform depending on the libraries so I don't miss out, I'm very curious how the effects the landscape moving forward. I know those who maybe keep themselves chained to one specific platform may feel upset as more and more of these types of deals happen.

For me though it's just a sign of the times, either bite the bullet and buy a Xbox/PC to play future Betheada titles or simply don't play those games, it's really that simple.

I'm over the "my box is better than yours. Gaylo sucks or God of War is a dad simulator". All these attacks over a product meant to bring entertainment while once I took part in it, comes across as extremely childish and a waste of time now.

If you're not interested in the 1st party playstation games and don't want to cough up the funds to build a PC the Xbox platform along with gamepass is the obvious choice full stop. There's genuinely not a argument to be made, but I look forward to the 15 new threads a day until launch to read those arguments.

Yes it was and you can still do it providing you haven't done it before, I did it the other week in my country. You convert your Gold membership into a GPU and cost is $1 or equivalent in your country.

If you have 3 years Gold paid-up then you get GPU for 3 years for just $1.

Thanks for that info. That makes the 15 million # appear a bit better. I doubt the bulk of those are 3-year XBox Live Gold paid-up and transferred to GP Ultimate. 1 million maybe.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You could buy a nvidia shield or another android tv device. Just saying. That's how I play xbox in the bedroom.

Edit: hell, android tv is built into a number of televisions now.
I actually have an Nvidia Shield Portable.
But I don't play on Xbox, it's just that PC GamePass requires Win10.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Use Steam Proton? Most Xbox PC games are on Steam, and play fine with Proton. Still some issues with online multiplayer anti-cheat, but most single player games work fine.
I can play the games just fine, but not via Game Pass. Game Pass isn't on Steam.

BRZBlue

Honestly. Id say get in on gamepass now, because if its the Netflix of gaming, expect every other company under the sun to try to offer a competitor in a few years.

Streaming is currently an exclusives game, namely, if you have shows people want to watch, you get their sub. Original content is driving the market there. I think we'll see things follow suit with gamepass.

Some exclusives that draw you the to platform, and a whole lot of games akin to the found footage horror drama to fill in a box.

The idea of owning 12 different game streaming/subscription platforms might be in the future.

Sweden85

I will still use it as I have on my PC for the last year :) But yeah its probably getting better and bigger even though I don't like Bethesdas-game in general. Congrats to every gamepass-PC owner :p

RasAlGhoul

Nah. I’ll just buy it for one month to play what I want then cancel. But pay month after month in hopes something I want comes to the service? No thank you.

truth411

Why is it a necessity exactly? Are these games exclusive to gamepass now?
No. They will just be day and date with Game pass.
The PS5 DE is still the sweet spot imo. $400 gets you a full next gen console, Sony Exclusives, multiplats you want to buy or not.
Xbox game pass is nice, but for the next 2 years they have nothing but halo and sonys exclusives are top notch.

I love the competition, but when it comes to great games M.S. has a lot more to prove than Sony or Nintendo.

Azurro

Banned
I don't have a gaming PC, I use a Mac and don't have any plans to get one or get an Xbox, so...no? Even with Zenimax, most of their library doesn't appeal to me.

TonyK

This is the dumbest argument ever against GP for me. You didn't pay full price for the games so why would you own them? Also a ton of games have special GP pricing on them as well. You could easily offset the subscription cost with sales prices. Dishonored 2 is going off of game pass on PC and they are selling it for $32.. it is still $40 on steam. There are a ton of deals like this that make buying a game you want offered on the service and easy way to offset the cost of the subscription.
Ya, it's not a matter of money, it's simply that for me it's weird not to own the game, I can't enjoy it. I can play for several hours but I can invest 50 hours in a game I don't own. Don't ask me why, and I know it's silly, but it is the same that when in 16bits era I had pirated games. I had a ton of games for free and I was unable to finish them.

It's not an argument against the service, I know it has AMAZING value, it's only my case, how it makes me feel and why I can't enjoy it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I remember a few years ago when Sony started to give away games with PS Plus, how it was "just a rent" and "you don't own anything" since it is tied to your subscription.

Now people are arguing that no one should buy anything and to just get Gamepass...kinda funny how things change.

Doesn't count. The last 2 games I bought, I went to look for a code but there were none. I'm not going to sit around waiting for a deal in order to demo a game. Even if it's only a week, that's still way too long.

$1 to trial for a month. What are you going on about? No code needed.

But MS won’t be producing AAA games for it, that is what I was reading a few days ago. Anyway , speaking as a european, in the day and age of......80€ (almost 100$) Sony first party games (which are a ps3 remake and a ps4 remaster with an added expansion) it is a neceasily.

Dolomite

Nah. I’ll just buy it for one month to play what I want then cancel. But pay month after month in hopes something I want comes to the service? No thank you.
What if I told you...you can purchase and own games from GP.... for much cheaper than thier $70 retail?

Dolomite

But MS won’t be producing AAA games for it, that is what I was reading a few days ago. Anyway , speaking as a european, in the day and age of......80€ (almost 100$) Sony first party games (which are a ps3 remake and a ps4 remaster with an added expansion) it is a neceasily.
...every 1st party from MS is day and date on Gamepass. Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable ect, ect aren't AAA?

Imagine Bethesda games on GP first day and 80 euro on PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

P.s. I seems I have to buy either X or S now. And bring monitor from the work lol

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago when Sony started to give away games with PS Plus, how it was "just a rent" and "you don't own anything" since it is tied to your subscription.

Now people are arguing that no one should buy anything and to just get Gamepass...kinda funny how things change.
Gamepass is only like a million times better than what Sony was doing with ps+, I mean really ?

Reading where? On here, lol. Every one of their first party games is coming to game pass. The who no AAA FUD is fear mongering by people who have bias against the platform.

NVM:. Saw your sarcasm post.

Last edited:
Ya, it's not a matter of money, it's simply that for me it's weird not to own the game, I can't enjoy it. I can play for several hours but I can invest 50 hours in a game I don't own. Don't ask me why, and I know it's silly, but it is the same that when in 16bits era I had pirated games. I had a ton of games for free and I was unable to finish them.

It's not an argument against the service, I know it has AMAZING value, it's only my case, how it makes me feel and why I can't enjoy it.
To each their own I guess.

RasAlGhoul

Then say so? Lol but don't make fake issues as if one can't simply purchase the same titles for cheaper with GP, and own them even after cancelling subs

What the hell are you on about. I’m not making up false issues. You’re corporate cheerleading though.

I'd rather pick 3-4 games I want to play a month than have 100 chosen for me, 99 of which I have no intention of ever playing.

It will be essential when it's like Spotify. Right now it's merely great value if you just want to consume consume consume with no discernment. Play what we tell you to play, when we decide.

Fortunately it's easy to accumulate massive Steam library and ignore the day one hype.

Pagusas

Elden Member
if I already have ultimate game pass subscription, are there any cheap ways still available to purchase a few years of it for cheap?

guess tastes differ.
Gamepass is downright worthless to me.
Maybe in short bursts in the future if MS manages to get their first party game production in order.

frogger

Gamepass is great. I personally do not use it though. Reason is simple, I spend hundreds dollars on games every month. I own like thousands of games. No reason to subscribe.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I mean just in the past two weeks alone I've played Crusder Kings 3, Resident Evil 7, Wasteland 3 and Golf with Friends through PC Game Pass.

All of that for $4.99... not bad.

Top Bottom