• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

Always see videos like this as someone with a massive insecurity.
Why? Have not people been already comparing the next-gen consoles to PCs for months now? Some even saying things like the SSDs would make PC gaming dead or outclassed?

I'm kind of surprised these are results compared to the 10 line and not the 20 line, which is where I thought the next-gen consoles would be falling in range of. Unless I've overinflated my ideas on the RTX 20 series in terms of rasterization performance compared to the RTX 10 series. For RT I always knew the consoles would come up a bit short to the Nvidia cards, but it would've been nice if they did more RT comparisons here to see if they at least line up with some of the Digital Foundry ones.

None of this really puts a dent in the value proposition or performance capabilities of the next-gen systems, though; I think you do have to factor the I/O hardware components in the systems as having at least some impact on speeding up parts of the graphics pipeline, and also considering the fact neither system's I/O is really being tapped out close to full utilization at this time.

Cherrypepsi

index.php

SOLID 43 fps for the 1070 at FULL HD

this video is so cringe

Snake00

It seems very weird that they didn't compare AC: Valhalla. Digital Foundry found out that it outperforms a 2060 Super.

Watchdogs: Legion would be another good comparison given that it has ray tracing on all platforms.

Also they didn't measure the cpu performance at all. They only chose cross gen games which don't utilize the cpu very much.
I think it is very misleading to even suggest that the 3300X performs similarly to the PS5 cpu.

Anyone who thinks they can buy that PC instead of a PS5 is going to have a bad time when true next gen titles come out.

BTW here is a CPU comparison by NXGamer:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He said the gpu (1060) was 4 years old, not the cpu (3300x.) He said the cpu was at the low end of modern gaming cpus and good for budget builds.

That was only the first game, btw, Devil May Cry. Dirt 5 and Borderlands 3 were equivalent-ish to a 1080.
yeah I've watched the whole video. he even redeems himself a bit in the end by trying to say that ps5 is a good deal... but still.

I will say that his tests here have to be framed in the right context: these are games with PC versions likely programmed around leveraging Nvidia GPU architectures, and with most of the games in the tests being older releases, you also have to take in mind the BC versions on PS5 (or Series X for that matter) won't actually do much more than the PS4/PS4 Pro versions unless they're patched to do so.

...or at least I would be saying this more, if he didn't test DMC 5 and DiRT 5 explicitly. In that context it is interesting to see how the cross-gen ports for those games on PS5 run compared to the GTX 10 series, and I guess I can say I was expecting the 10 cards to come in lower than they did :S

so where would you rank the XSX in this comparison?

oh, I bet this is the moment you realize this video is full of shit

Maybe it isn't, though. If these were a bunch of pretty-old games with no known next-gen patches then yeah it'd be pretty worthless, but two of the games have explicit next-gen full-native ports and yet these are still the results to be had.

Should also keep in mind that a PC 3300 CPU is probably going to have more cache than the PS5 or Series X CPUs, plus you can overclock it (don't know if he did that in this video...for it or the Nvidia cards tbh, I still need to watch the video in full). That can make up some of the other differences.

Last edited:
I’ve been wondering about this tbh.

my ryzen 2600 and rtx 2600 get 105fps on ultra/very high on dmc5.
The game is amazingly optimised for pc, I have a feeling the special edition isn’t optimised as good on console.

tichamac

Banned
Allright! Now show me a game running on that PC that looks and runs comparable to Miles Morales or Demon's Souls.
There's a thread for just that.

Sun Blaze

Banned
Curious why the PS5 performs so poorly in high fps modes though. You'd think with its CPU it would breeze past 120hz and remain locked at that. I have no doubt the GPU is pulling its weight, but that CPU might be a lot worse than I had given it credit for.

Not a pretty picture on PS5 to put it nicely or an absolute stuttering mess in PC player terms.

It seems very weird that they didn't compare AC: Valhalla. Digital Foundry found out that it outperforms a 2060 Super.

Watchdogs: Legion would be another good comparison given that it has ray tracing on all platforms.

Also they didn't measure the cpu performance at all. They only chose cross gen games which don't utilize the cpu very much.
I think it is very misleading to even suggest that the 3300X performs similarly to the PS5 cpu.

Anyone who thinks they can buy that PC instead of a PS5 is going to have a bad time when true next gen titles come out.

BTW here is a CPU comparison by NXGamer:

The noobio NXGamer boy basic testing method only shows an average frames during a whole second which easily hides all the drops that occur for a brief ms that can happen multiple times during a single second, wheres the pro Gamers Nexus man uses more reliable advanced method which shows clearer picture of whats really happening with the frames during every second of the test period.

I am watching the video and don't understand what he is doing... ryzen 3300x is not 4 years old cpu ? 1070 was 500usd 4 years ago... what's the point... and that pc is not 500usd even now. Not even if You summarize bare used pc parts and You still need to add peripherals (since console includes controller and is a full package aside from TV). And he is not doing exact same settings comparison...
I'm in Canada, the cheapest 1070 on ebay will cost me only 50$ less than a full PS5 Digital edition.... I'm not about to find the rest of the machine for 50$ (like $30USD). Local Facebook marketplace etc. are as bad, if not worse.

That potato masher discussion is absurd at the moment, if you get a PC it's because you want to game on PC (KB + mouse, RTS, possibility to configure games and mods).
1070 was $379 when it was released. Not $500.
Sometimes they are still about the same price in eBay, on completed auctions, add shipping and this is embarrassing, especially compared to a PS5 digital edition--which is 400$... find that CPU/RAM/PSU/case/RAM/storage for 20$ all included and come back to me, I'll built the machine myself just for kicks.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
During the Dirt 5 comparison, the pc footage stuttered, had tearing non stop. On Borderlands 3 the AF filtering is much higher on PS5, while textures are lower (the sign).

Why did he not benchmark said PC with Valhalla or Watch Dogs Legion? But that PC with eBay prices is closer to $1,000+ than $500. The GTX1060 6Gb alone costs like $150 on eBay. The GTX1080 $250 ...

This Video is nothing more than the usual PC Master Race self comforting at the beginning of every Gen. Happend with the infamous GTX 750ti Comparisions wich showed nothing more but how unoptimized games on consoles are early in the gen let alone in the cross gen phase are.
Not only have we highly contradicting datapoints already (AC Valhalla comes to mind) but also with PS5 at least a system that abstracts alot of the capabilitys without the Dev have to know about them ( the whole I/O Circle for example). So i predict that PS5 pulls ahead of comparable PC hardware even faster than PS4 did.
HZD proved that base PS4 Hardware to be worth around 4Tflop of PC GPU - and no that is not a bad port. Like Scarface from DF likes to paint it. NX Gamer told the truth in his Video about the title.

The only anoying thing is that this video is out there and we have to live with the PS5 moking now for a while. But thats just how it is with Propaganda ..
So , be calm.. PS5 will IN THIS Year prove that stoopid of a propaganda Video wrong.

Last edited:
Some of you PS babies really upset. A lot of poor poor arguments trying to be had.
I don't own a PS5, mostly game on Switch these days, and my next system purchase will be a laptop for some light PC gaming, with a budget of 1000 quid.

This video and comparison is still total bollocks.

Consoles deliver vastly, vastly better gaming performance than their equivelant specs and price point in PC gaming does.

That's not my opinion either, that's something directly stated by Microsoft hardware engineers, during that XSX hot chips architecture break down.

There are loads of fantastic reasons to game on PC, however hardware value for money and it's cost to performance ratio, are simply not amongst them

Also - did Borderlands 3 even recieved a proper Next Gen Patch? Or is this Clown comparing a Game on PS5 while it is only the Back compat mode who runs it??

Sun Blaze

Banned
Also - did Borderlands 3 even recieved a proper Next Gen Patch? Or is this Clown comparing a Game on PS5 while it is only the Back compat mode who runs it??
It did.

Still something appears off in this comparison. The PS5 should be mopping the floor with that PC.

Well this vid sure rustled some jimmies, probably intentionally
pointing out mistakes is not automaticly wrong you know - and with this vid he showed where he realy stands .. - it will blow up. Its is disgusting Propaganda Piece masked at the end with polite talk.

This Video is nothing more than the usual PC Master Race self comforting at the beginning of every Gen. Happend with the infamous GTX 750ti Comparisions wich showed nothing more but how unoptimized games on consoles are early in the gen let alone in the cross gen phase are.
Not only have we highly contradicting datapoints already (AC Valhalla comes to mind) but also with PS5 at least a system that abstracts alot of the capabilitys without the Dev have to know about them ( the whole I/O Circle for example). So i predict that PS5 pulls ahead of comparable PC hardware even faster than PS4 did.
HZD proved that base PS4 Hardware to be worth around 4Tflop of PC GPU - and no that is not a bad port. Like Scarface from DF likes to paint it.
NX Gamer told the truth in his Video about the title.

The only anoying thing is that this video is out there and we have to live with the PS5 moking now for a while. But thats just how it is with Propaganda ..
So , be calm.. PS5 will IN THIS Year prove that stoopid of a propaganda Video wrong.
So much wrong. The PS4 was outdated the day it came out. It's nothing like the PS5 which at least is competitive. And you'd be a fool to bet that a PS5 will "pull ahead" this year, whatever that even means. We'll see a 3080 super and a 3080ti this year along with whatever revamp AMD will put out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not too surprised to see PC parts of old being competitive. But, we'll see those same PC parts age a lot faster and harder than the PS5 will age. PS5 will get that AMD fine-wine treatment, and with BC working mostly in PS5, it's a great reason to hold off on PC parts and pick up a console if one was inclined. Still nothing on PS5 that "SCREAMS" pick me up, but in a year or two, the system would be worth picking up I'd bet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Ya'll leave Tech Jesus alone. He's not perfect, but I don't think he's the Ultra-Douche that you guys are making him out to be.

Last edited:
It did.

Still something appears off in this comparison. The PS5 should be mopping the floor with that PC.
okay fair enough - but then it is still in the hands of the Devs how much did they use the power of PS5. Consoles are heavily reliant on usage of ther respectives low level APIs. And iam pretty shure that the OG Borderlands 3 on PS4 was not programmed with much usage of PS4s low level API GNM. So it is worth not much.. as a datapoint. Games 1 or 2 years in the future will show more of PS5s capabilitys.

So much wrong. The PS4 was outdated the day it came out. It's nothing like the PS5 which at least is competitive. And you'd be a fool to bet that a PS5 will "pull ahead" this year, whatever that even means. We'll see a 3080 super and a 3080ti this year along with whatever revamp AMD will put out.

I'm not too surprised to see PC parts of old being competitive. But, we'll see those same PC parts age a lot faster and harder than the PS5 will age. PS5 will get that AMD fine-wine treatment, and with BC working mostly in PS5, it's a great reason to hold off on PC parts and pick up a console if one was inclined. Still nothing on PS5 that "SCREAMS" pick me up, but in a year or two, the system would be worth picking up I'd bet.

And Ya'll leave Tech Jesus alone. He's not perfect, but I don't think he's the Ultra-Douche that you guys are making him out to be.
point out whats wrong in my text so i can react accordingly..
oh and about : "pulling ahead" - this meant in comparisions to similar PC hardware. That RTX 2070 will not be enough if the low level API of PS5 will be in heavy use. If usage of the "custom for PS5" Geometry Engine kicks in much more capable cards willl struggle. PS5 is an all rounded masterpiece.
But of course it doesent outmatch a rtx3080 - but it does not need to. Since anyway only like 2% of all PC gamers have such a card.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
pointing out mistakes is not automaticly wrong you know - and with this vid he showed where he realy stands .. - it will blow up. Its is disgusting Propaganda Piece masked at the end with polite talk.
Why the outrage? If he prefers PCs to consoles, why he isn't he allowed to say so? He's not obligated to like consoles. Just like Alex Battaglia isn't.

Snake00

Not a pretty picture on PS5 to put it nicely or an absolute stuttering mess in PC player terms.

The noobio NXGamer boy basic testing method only shows an average frames during a whole second which easily hides all the drops that occur for a brief ms that can happen multiple times during a single second, wheres the pro Gamers Nexus man uses more reliable advanced method which shows clearer picture of whats really happening with the frames during every second of the test period.
No Gamers Nexus is not comparing CPUs at all.
To do that you have to find a scenario in which the CPUs of both machines are utilised 100% and compare the framerate.
NXGamer found a scenario in which one of the CPUs (the 2700x) was causing framerate drops but the PS5 CPU was not.
GamersNexus only used games in which the framerate is capped by GPU performance, he even said himself that it doesn't matter which CPU they use for the PC.

Oh and BTW, good luck putting a 5 Gb/s ssd and an uhd drive into that 500$ pc, while still getting a 8 core/16 thread cpu with a pcie4 motherboard and 16GB of ram.
This discussion is nonsense. If it comes to price performance the PS5 and XBOX Series have PC beat by a lot.

Mr_Potato

Banned
I don't know what that guy is smoking, but it's 100 % false. PS5 runs Spiderman with 60fps AND Raytracing, something very few PC can do in any game.

It has been evaluated multiple times next gen consoles should be around 2070 super / 2080 super, but even that is underestimating them because for example, PS5 has I/O hardware which can't be matched on PC right now, so it can probably push more details in texture streaming that even the best PC, as Unreal Engine 5 demo and Epic devs already hint at.

If you look at a game like AC Valhalla, PS5 has basically the best version, because even the highest end PC has some stuttering in custscenes, only PS5 version doesn't have some.

Consoles are not PC, they're dedicated gaming hardware with multiple customizations. As Carmack - and others devs - famously said, you will always get tons more performance for your money on a console compared to a PC costing the same. Whether it triggers PCMR insecure fans like this guy or not, that's a fact.

For the record, I have a 1080 PC, I like it but it's very far from matching what PS5 can already do on Miles Morales or Demon's Souls, and that's only the beginning.

Last edited:
Why the outrage? If he prefers PCs to consoles, why he isn't he allowed to say so? He's not obligated to like consoles. Just like Alex Battaglia isn't.
where did i say such a thing? I pointed out that in his Video are horrendous mistakes - mistakes that devalue the power of an PS5 in an outrages extend. That this comes from an Hardcore PC Outlet has a certain taste to it.

Top Bottom