• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

isoRhythm

Banned
So much wrong. The PS4 was outdated the day it came out. It's nothing like the PS5 which at least is competitive. And you'd be a fool to bet that a PS5 will "pull ahead" this year, whatever that even means. We'll see a 3080 super and a 3080ti this year along with whatever revamp AMD will put out.
Hell yeah can't wait to try out Death Stranding on my 750ti :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

demigod

So he’s made ps5 thermal and now this video yet he didn’t have time to make an xsx thermal video when that has been out for almost 2 months now.

I'm in Canada, the cheapest 1070 on ebay will cost me only 50$ less than a full PS5 Digital edition.... I'm not about to find the rest of the machine for 50$ (like $30USD). Local Facebook marketplace etc. are as bad, if not worse.

That potato masher discussion is absurd at the moment, if you get a PC it's because you want to game on PC (KB + mouse, RTS, possibility to configure games and mods).

Sometimes they are still about the same price in eBay, on completed auctions, add shipping and this is embarrassing, especially compared to a PS5 digital edition--which is 400$... find that CPU/RAM/PSU/case/RAM/storage for 20$ all included and come back to me, I'll built the machine myself just for kicks.
I'm in Canada and got a 3700x for 40 and a 2060 for around 300$ over a year ago. Look for local return overstock auctions. Most cities have them and you can get things really cheap if you are patient. I even got my Sony ier-m9's for 350$.

I don't own a PS5, mostly game on Switch these days, and my next system purchase will be a laptop for some light PC gaming, with a budget of 1000 quid.

This video and comparison is still total bollocks.

Consoles deliver vastly, vastly better gaming performance than their equivelant specs and price point in PC gaming does.

That's not my opinion either, that's something directly stated by Microsoft hardware engineers, during that XSX hot chips architecture break down.

There are loads of fantastic reasons to game on PC, however hardware value for money and it's cost to performance ratio, are simply not amongst them
Little bit of patience and effort can score you some very good deals.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"We eventually settled on a GTX 1060 6 GB, a card that at this point is more than 4 years old. We found the GTX 1070 performed a little too well to match the Playstation 5 and was overdoing the performance."

netflix antonio GIF

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! Yeah right! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No Gamers Nexus is not comparing CPUs at all.
To do that you have to find a scenario in which the CPUs of both machines are utilised 100% and compare the framerate.
NXGamer found a scenario in which one of the CPUs (the 2700x) was causing framerate drops but the PS5 CPU was not.
GamersNexus only used games in which the framerate is capped by GPU performance, he even said himself that it doesn't matter which CPU they use for the PC.

Oh and BTW, good luck putting a 5 Gb/s ssd and an uhd drive into that 500$ pc, while still getting a 8 core/16 thread cpu with a pcie4 motherboard and 16GB of ram.
This discussion is nonsense. If it comes to price performance the PS5 and XBOX Series have PC beat by a lot.

I never personally cared for same budget comparisons between PC and consoles, but for some reason console gamers loves those videos so much as thats all they talk about when it comes to PC vs console.

We already know that GPU in PS5 is on a level thats around 2070 S without RT and around 2060 with RT from a few recent games.

I and most PC gamers want double perf from their PC and willing to spend much more to enjoy smooth gaming which this video in op sadly clearly highlights that even new console like PS5 is majorly struggling to provide consistent smooth frames even in last gen games. Do I find those comparisons funny? Hell yea, but it has zero effect on what I would buy for myself.

What would be more fun to see is the performance comparisons done by a pro like GN between a PC equipped with lowest end parts of 2020 vs PS5 / SeriesX. :messenger_winking:

*Lowest end 2020 PC: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x + Nvidia 3060 Ti*

Mr_Potato

Banned
I don't own a PS5, mostly game on Switch these days, and my next system purchase will be a laptop for some light PC gaming, with a budget of 1000 quid.

Consoles deliver vastly, vastly better gaming performance than their equivelant specs and price point in PC gaming does.

That's not my opinion either, that's something directly stated by Microsoft hardware engineers, during that XSX hot chips architecture break down.

There are loads of fantastic reasons to game on PC, however hardware value for money and it's cost to performance ratio, are simply not amongst them

You mean guys like Sweeney and Carmack know better than PCMR insecure fanboys ? I'm shocked.

That's not my opinion either, that's something directly stated by Microsoft hardware engineers, during that XSX hot chips architecture break down

I mean...You can look at the numbers. The evidence speaks for itself. Consoles have always been about the price/perf ratio. On PC that ratio is split across like 6 different GPU makers, 2 CPU makers, and countless MOBO/RAM/SSD makers. So if you are willing to wait or a vigilant deal hunter, you could get close to a PS5 for a comparable price. That said, you'd be spending on old tech, and that tech will age faster than what's in the PS5, so the comparison is only good for so long. It's like someone earlier said, it'd be interesting to see this same comparison again this time next year.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So basically.....

DF has a horrible set up for high frame rate testing comoo ops red to what I’ve just watched. Lol

Last edited:
I never personally cared for same budget comparisons between PC and consoles, but for some reason console gamers loves those videos so much as thats all they talk about when it comes to PC vs console.

We already know that GPU in PS5 is on a level thats around 2070 S without RT and around 2060 with RT from a few recent games.

I and most PC gamers want double perf from their PC and willing to spend much more to enjoy smooth gaming which this video in op sadly clearly highlights that even new console like PS5 is majorly struggling to provide consistent smooth frames even in last gen games. Do I find those comparisons funny? Hell yea, but it has zero effect on what I would buy for myself.

What would be more fun to see is the performance comparisons done by a pro like GN between a PC equipped with lowest end parts of 2020 vs PS5 / SeriesX. :messenger_winking:

They hate that the 3060ti is the low end of the current lineup. It literally makes some of them fume with frustration, anger, and remorse. I got so much backlash in another thread for pointing out that it's a better upgrade to update the gpu in your PC to a 3060ti than get a ps5 for $100 more, or ps5DE for the same price, when it comes to performance. I got quoted to death by all the warriors.

That comparison would cause a cyberpunk 2.0/cybergaf meltdown, and the amount of threads created per minute (TCPM) would exceed GAF's limit.

isoRhythm

Banned
They hate that the 3060ti is the low end of the current lineup. It literally makes some of them fume with frustration, anger, and remorse. I got so much backlash in another thread for pointing out that it's a better upgrade to update the gpu in your PC to a 3060ti than get a ps5 for $100 more, or ps5DE for the same price, when it comes to performance. I got quoted to death by all the warriors.

That comparison would cause a cyberpunk 2.0/cybergaf meltdown, and the amount of threads created per minute (TCPM) would exceed GAF's limit.
A 3060ti is not $100 cheaper than a PS5. Why lie?

They just as hard to find as a ps5 though
Both of them jumped in price just because they are so hard to find. But they could be had for same price for ps5DE, or $100 more expensive to get the ps5 disc ver. Both versions provide less performance for someone upgrading from a ps4 to ps5, vs a pc gamer upgrading their GPU for either $100 less, or same money. They could also sell previous gpu for more money than they could sell their ps4 as well.

Last edited:

So you're saying the PS5 is $400..? aka the same price as the 3060 ti
Re read the quoted post. I think you will see you simply misread.

Aenima

Not biased at all. Lets all forget a SSD as fast as the one on PS5 for PC costs around 200$ thats already half the price of a digital PS5.

Anyone thinking they can even dream about building a 500$ PC that matches a PS5 or XSX, is deep in lalaland.

Wake me up when ur 500$ rig is showing something like this at 60fps

demonssouls_2020111309bkfc.png

Snake00

That would be a good comparison to make, even though it's quite obvious that the PC would win.
The difference to the OPs build is that at least the CPU will carry you through the whole next generation, just like the PS5/XSX.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This thread reeks of fanboyism. Who knew people could get so up in arms over a literal piece of plastic. GamersNexus is the best in the business when it comes to this stuff. Some of you need to get a grip and put your energy into something other than taking out your sword and shield for a multi-billion dollar console corp.

Last edited:
Not biased at all. Lets all forget a SSD as fast as the one on PS5 for PC costs around 200$ thats already half the price of a digital PS5.

Anyone thinking they can even dream about building a 500$ PC that matches a PS5 or XSX, is deep in lalaland.

Wake me up when ur 500$ rig is showing something like this at 60fps

demonssouls_2020111309bkfc.png
How much could one pay to upgrade ps5 performance next year or so? Some gamers go strictly for the price to performance ratio, some gamers want the cream of the crop, and some are in between the two. The last two gamers have full control over their hardware and performance, while the first gamer doesn't. No amount of money can fix the performance issues the first gamer experiences, when it comes to last gen games, or next gen games. That's priceless, if that makes any sense.

//DEVIL//

reading comments from both sides in this thread is making me laugh lol.

What I am gathering from this video is the PS5 cant match a 1080 GTX ( aside from ray tracing )

that.. with all respect is downright horrible.

GTX 1080 ???????

WTF.. like wow lol

in all honestly though, I think the PS5 around the 2080 level. not 1080.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Moving goal posts
Right but how often do you buy physical games for PC or have physical games even sold? If PC is all digital, then compare it to the digital console. Also the pricing is a bit weirder up north here.. a 3060ti is going for $550 CAD here where as the PS5 starts at $500 CAD.

isoRhythm

Banned
This thread reeks of fanboyism. Who knew people could get so up in arms over a literal piece of plastic. GamersNexus is the best in the business when it comes to this stuff. Some of you need to get a grip and put your energy into something other than taking out your sword and shield for a multi-billion dollar console corp.
>guys makes stupid video
>"this video is stupid"
>"yikes sweaty this reeks of fanboyism :^)"

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Digital Foundry spoke to GearBox and there were only minor improvements over the PlayStation 4 Pro version because their primary target was to get the game rendered at 4K 60fps.

Still don't know how much of a factor the CPU plays a part in high frame-rate modes, but a GTX 1060, 1070 or even a 1080 won't carry you through the generation when aiming towards 1440p and beyond this generation.

As I recall years ago, a 750 Ti was used by the PC crowd to build a budget PC that would outperform a base PS4 console, but that GPU wasn't able to keep up with the PS4 through the generation.

Nocturno999

This video is a breath of fresh air in the sea of garbage gaming journalism and that shady DF comparison of Assassin's Creed PC vs PS5.

I wish I could joke about "what is the SeX PC equivallent than, that is performing and looking worse?", but I can't...
What the hell happened with Tech Jesus? Is he on drugs? This is absurd.

Patrick S.

Banned
Both of them jumped in price just because they are so hard to find. But they could be had for same price for ps5DE, or $100 more expensive to get the ps5 disc ver. Both versions provide less performance for someone upgrading from a ps4 to ps5, vs a pc gamer upgrading their GPU for either $100 less, or same money. They could also sell previous gpu for more money than they could sell their ps4 as well.
I just sold my PS4 Pro this week. Got €250 for the console and one controller. We have the PS5, which I got my junior for Christmas, and I haven't even played on it yet. I'm supper happy that I was able to get a new RTX 3080 for an awesome price.

The longer I thought about getting a PS5 for myself, the less sense it made, because there are a few issues I have with it:

-The cost of PS+
-Limited to one game return per account
-Awful consumer friendliness in general
-They can ban your entire account with potentially thousands of Euros of games on it because you claim a refund on a credit card payment
-If your account gets hacked, they'll probably tell you you are SOL
-You are locked into one single digital store, outside of Amazon selling a code every once in a moon
-Digital games are super expensive whenever you don't buy them during a sale

Yeah, a gaming PC is more expensive, but you get better graphics at higher framerates, can use the input device of your choice, don't pay for multiplayer, and have multiple official and unofficial digital stores.

I'll still probably get another PS5 for the bedroom in a year or so, so I can play some Gran Turismo or Demon's Souls without hogging my son's console, and play from my bed.

Last edited:

SmokSmog

If you still don't get it, those benchmarks were made in performance mode aka 120FPS, of course PS5 gpu isn't slower than RTX 1060 or even 1080. This is best example of CPU bottleneck, Mobile Zen2 in PS5 and XSX isn't that fast as desktop version. It has gimped l3 cache ( only 1/4 of desktop CPUs), lower clocks and on top of that it has access to high latency memory (GDDR6 VRAM). PS5 and XSX will never match any Zen2 in single core performance.
Sadly they didn't get mobile Zen3, it has 16MB unified l3 cache ( 4x more than consoles) and better IPC overall.

//DEVIL//

I do wonder what the performance of GTX 1080 compared to Xbox or PS5 in terms of 4k content. for example borderland3 or Valhalla.

Are they native 4k on consoles with 60 fps ? if so at what resolution settings ? or is it dynamic resolution on consoles?

I do not think a GTX 1080 can do borderland 4k 60 fps

Venom Snake

Of all the (three) games this guy showed, only Dirt 5 is somewhat made with ps5/XsX in mind.

I don't expect this video to age well..

Sun Blaze

Banned
Digital Foundry spoke to GearBox and there were only minor improvements over the PlayStation 4 Pro version because their primary target was to get the game rendered at 4K 60fps.

Still don't know how much of a factor the CPU plays a part in high frame-rate modes, but a GTX 1060, 1070 or even a 1080 won't carry you through the generation when aiming towards 1440p and beyond this generation.

As I recall years ago, a 750 Ti was used by the PC crowd to build a budget PC that would outperform a base PS4 console, but that GPU wasn't able to keep up with the PS4 through the generation.

Because 2GB frame buffer was too meager.

Where the photoshop benchmarks?

Where the video encoding benchmarks?

Where the compiler benchmarks?

Where the MATLAB benchmarks?

Where the benchmarks with mods?

How well does the PS4 run Dreamcast games btw?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

1070 is not sold anymore by nvidia those prices are pointless. A card if still sold that compares is a 1660.

1060 is basically a 970 a bit oced with more v-ram which is pretty much the gpu that released after the PS4 release date. and comparable towards today 1650 super.

current generation has no cards or even the last generation that are as shit as those cards tho. both 2060 ( 1080 ) and 3060 ( 1080ti + oc ) are faster then those cards.

If you do want a 1060 or 1070 u will need to buy it second hanaded. the cards mostly go for about 100-120 bucks these days for 6gb model. the 3gb model can probably u can get from some cheaper but yea that's second handed and good luck with that without warranty.

Last edited:
If you still don't get it, those benchmarks were made in performance mode aka 120FPS, of course PS5 gpu isn't slower than RTX 1060 or even 1080. This is best example of CPU bottleneck, Mobile Zen2 in PS5 and XSX isn't that fast as desktop version. It has gimped l3 cache ( only 1/4 of desktop CPUs), lower clocks and on top of that it has access to high latency memory (GDDR6 VRAM). PS5 and XSX will never match any Zen2 in single core performance.
Sadly they didn't get mobile Zen3, it has 16MB unified l3 cache ( 4x more than consoles) and better IPC overall.
Idk man. That Geordie guy sure made ps5 seem to be some crazy beast that not even the strongest PC cpu or gpu could compete with. There's must be something wrong with these comparisons.

Lister

Banned
I do wonder what the performance of GTX 1080 compared to Xbox or PS5 in terms of 4k content. for example borderland3 or Valhalla.

Are they native 4k on consoles with 60 fps ? if so at what resolution settings ? or is it dynamic resolution on consoles?

I do not think a GTX 1080 can do borderland 4k 60 fps

The 1080 cna do Borderlands 3 4K at 60-70 FPS, but at low settings (save textures and AF). Mind you, low settings (again minus textures and AF) still looks good.

The PS5 does a bit better at mostly medium settings 4k. I would hope so though! The 1080 is a 4+ year old card, and there's no ray tracing in Borderlands 3.

Top Bottom