• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games without real time combat are deal breaker for me.... you?

How do you prefer your combat?

• Real time

• Turn based

• Why not both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I prefer real time by far but some games have perfect turn based strategy. For me personally the first generation of Pokémon all the way up to the final DS game, amazing. I also really enjoyed the Game Boy Colour version of Philosopher’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets as a kid.

Every JRPG I’ve ever played with turn based combat has missed the mark though.

Yumi

I surprise myself in saying I prefer action to turnbased in recent days. I like turn based combat, but I find a lot of RPG’s always start with very basic actions and easy difficulty and only when you get further into the experience does the tactical side come out.

A turn based RPG’s with a good story that is difficult and tactical from the start I’d dive immediately into.

Mister Wolf

I prefer turn-based where you move and position yourself the most. Triangle Strategy, Legend Of Heroes franchise, Baldur's Gate 3, etc. The MMO style like Xenoblade franchise, FF12, and Ni No Kuni 2 are fine as well. Most combat in true action-rpgs are not that great. Tales Of Arise is the best I've experienced of them.

Last edited:

Three

Turn based can have more strategic combat. That's not to say real time combat can't be fun or strategic but there are only so many buttons you can press so strategy in real time battle is mostly just variations of block, dodge, attack.

Last edited:

cireza

Personnally, I am getting really tired of real time combat, as it is always the same thing. Too few possibilities. Lock-on, circle arround, wait for an attack, dodge/parry, counter attack. Repeat for 50 hours.

I'd rather play a good turn-based game with some strategy involved, VNs or puzzle games. This is more rewarding in the long term.

Last edited:
I don't care if I get banned for this, but fuck people who say that turn-based combat needs to die!

Literally, fuck em!

It's one thing to acknowledge that a certain type of gameplay isn't for you, but to actively advocate for what is already a niche gameplay format to go away completely, just because you don't like it.... literally, screw you!

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm okay with both. My thoughts though on turnbased these days though is if it is just a battle party of 3 just go action and have the others as a.i. combat partners. I'd prefer my turnbased games to have a much larger party for more strategic fights.

It never bothered me back in the day. I still have some appreciation for turn-based RPGs and other games alike that give their own touch or add a few mechanics to the turn-based formula. Otherwise, I'd say real-time is always preferred.

Deerock71

Realtime combat has to be really good to draw me in any more. Otherwise, I'll stick to turn-based or virtual novels. BTW Buried Stars is 30% off right now, and it's pretty awesome!

I hate turn based combat. It totally kills any potential enjoyment I can have with said game and I won't purchase any game without real time combat.

How many more of me are out there?
I'm with you on this one. Its the biggest reason why I can't get into jrpgs. Its so much more satisfying to move around and do things the way you want. Instead of just pressing a button and then waiting your turn.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Turn based only if it really adds something to the combat not just for the sake of it, child of light did a good job in this aspect.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I generally prefer realtime combat, but it depends on the game.

I really don't like strategy/grid turn-based combat though.

Majukun

both are good
depends on genre and gameplay feeling..basically, gow and xcom are both games where you shoot aliens with big dudes with big guns, but one can't be turn based and the other can't be real time

Stuart360

When i was a kid i used to adore turn based JRPG's, even to the extent of saying a game isnt a true RPG unless its turn based.
Now i cant play turn based games, in fact i cant play JRPG's at all these days as i grew out of the cringe weeb crap long ago.

Bro...X-Com?? Mario X-Com? Warhammer? You crazy....

I couldn't stand turn-based FFVII back in the PSX days, but it just helped me realize that it wasn't a game for me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I thought turn based games get ugly and boring you can put smart enemies with regular combat, more aggressive it’s like comparing men to children. Find a game with better combat than God of War yeah it’s impossible.

kratos GIF

soulbait

I am an avid board gamer, so to me turn-based combat in games is similar to turns I take in a board game. Video games though can make it a lot more flashy. Also, I believe turn-based combat can many times require more strategy versus real-time combat that requires more reflexes. Both are fun IMO and have their place within gaming.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It depends on the game.

Turn based gets a lot of shit tho. Some people say it's a remnant from the past, since having games like Dragon Quest of Final Fantasy being real time would have been impossible. I disagree, I think turn based games can offer a different kind of experience that action games just can't, much more tactical and strategic.

KXVXII9X

It really depends. I'm a big fan of Tactical- RPGS. Over time I have less patience for slow traditional turn based combat, but there are multiple variations of turn based combat that aren't like a standard slow RPG maker/Dragon Quest back and forth slog.

The Mario and Luigi RPG series is great in that it has you time your attacks and dodges making the combat feel more involved. Yakuza Like a Dragon does something kind of similar with the timing, plus you have aspects of positioning and environmental obstacles that as re important to the combat making it less boring and the presentation of battles are lively and dynamic.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake had a nice blend of turn based and action gameplay. It was similar to early CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and the Dragon Age games where you have to pause constantly and select your commands and watch things happen in real time.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series is kind of turn based and kind of real time. Anytime you move, everything else moves or takes an action. It is different from a standard turn based game. A lot of the gameplay appeal is managing your resources to make it through the dungeons and finding the stairs to advance each floor while fending off hunger and keeping your Pokemon alive. There are also traps/Monster house rooms, and other obstacles which have you constantly adapt to each situation.

Like I said, I like tactical RPGs because it is so much more involved instead of just selecting the most powerful attack and healing or defending when you need to. Nothing is more satisfying than positioning your allies well and watching it all unfold in a glorious victory. There is a lot more synergy that goes into Tactical RPGs.

Those are just a few examples. As I get older I do prefer more action based combat more. I hope I don't get stoned for this, but I enjoy the combat of Pokken Tournament and Pokemon Unite to the mainline games. They are much closer to how the anime actually feels in terms of combat and having every outcome revolve around stats (my biggest issue with a lot of RPGs) feels less engaging.

KXVXII9X

I thought it was something I only enjoyed as a kid but I loved the turn based combat in Divinity OS2, so many different ways a battle can play out.
That has the best turn based gameplay out of any game I have played! Everything is so dynamic. There are a multitude of spells that can interact with each other and so many different ways you can make use of the terrains and the environment. The combat experimentation is unreal.

KXVXII9X

When i was a kid i used to adore turn based JRPG's, even to the extent of saying a game isnt a true RPG unless its turn based.
Now i cant play turn based games, in fact i cant play JRPG's at all these days as i grew out of the cringe weeb crap long ago.
So you don't want to play as a generic boy in a small village (almost always in a medieval setting) that has plot convenient untapped power that is the key to saving the entire world.

You also aren't tired of each story starting with a melodramatic tragic backstory that has the boy venture out of his close knit village and meet companions who literally worship you like some God?

But the dialogue isn't cringe at all! This is how all the normal people in real life talk. Completely natural. 🥴

BbMajor7th

Enjoy both - admittedly play more real time these days, but that's because there's more of them. Still sunk 100 hours into Divinity Original Sin 2 and had a blast. I think the divide falls more broadly into a question of whether you like games to be super realistic, or very 'gamified'. Turned based combat is designed to be an abstraction of real world scenarios, in much the same way that a health bar is an abstraction of a person's natural threshold for injury. Action games are obviously trying to break down that abstraction as much as possible for the sake of immediacy and general accessibility (how many games replaced health bars with a glowing red screen?).

I think games work better when they're being games, so even when I'm play real-time, I'd rather it be very gamey.

Top Bottom