• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Cologne 2009 - The Thread

odhiex

Somebody got this mafia II room at Gamescom :D Classy
268064a8bf4611819a.jpg

markao

spwolf said:
NFS looks great, a bit different take from GT and its welcomed.

Is there thread for NFS here? Couldnt find it... looked at youtube GC and looks freaking great.
NFS thread

@Blimblim thx for the NFS Shift game play, appreciated ! If you have time left and could find someone that uses a wheel, has some skill and is not using any driving aids at the EA stand......................would be very very nice ;)

It doesn't feel like MS even bothered turning up to this conference, and obviously Nintendo didn't because ha ha ha ha, it is Europe after all! The amount of Sony news and buzz out of gamescom is pretty crazy.

Xater

Ok some impressions:

Tekken 6 (PS3 build): Awesome fighting game. Playing it it looked really good. The some of the new characters are really fun to play.

GT5: I think I played it with a G25. That alone was great. I think alot of the help stuff was on but it still felt great. I drove a an Impreza rallye editon and there was damage. My front didn't look that great after a few crashes I even lost a door.

Beatles Rock Band (Xbox 360 build): So much fun. The presentation through the different ages is really well done. It#s way easier than the other games but I am not that good so it was a welcomed change. If you like the Beatles get this!

Uncharted 2 (PS3): UNCHARTED!!!!!!!1!!11! I don#t know what else to say.

MAG (PS3): Really didn't like it. It was faster paced than Socom but in person the graphics were kinda meh, the controls were wonky and big maps were a bit too much imo.

God of War 3 (PS3): Looks beutiful, the gore is great.

Heavy Rain (PS3): I was really impressed by the new scene I saw. There is a dude coming into a shop and then a robber appears. I saw 3 differet outcomes of the same scene. Alrigth the robber appears and the game goes into splitscreen mode. You see the robbery thorugh the security cameras and your self in a seperate window. You are hiding behind some racks. The first time the guy did nothing and the robber shot the shop owner. The second time he tried to intefer. He wanted to pick up a bottle but it fell down and the robber noticed him. He chose not to raise his hand so he was shot. The third time he raised his hands and through a distraction was able to overwhelm the robber. Great sutff.

Eyepet: Actually kinda fun should be great for the kids. The developer also confirmed to me that you can do dick cars. :lol

PES 2010 (PS3 build): The looks are imensely improved. I really liked that but where was the 360 control?

FIFA 10 (Xbox 360 and PS): 360 control is great. Overall I enjoyed the gameplay more than PES.

Brütal Legend (Xbox 360 build): Great, great game. Schaffer fans will be happy. Also alot of people have their fears about the combat but it actually felt great.

The Saboteur: Really unimpressive but the demo also didn#t show any of the open world stuff. That's why it felt like a generic third person shooter.

My Simy Agent: It actually looks prety good. More later in this post.

Sims 3 Expansion: Quite intersting. They implemnted all this simple adventure gaming stuff. Another clue that the adventure games are here to stay. ;)

Scribblenauts: Yes this game will be as great as everybody hopes. BTW God can punch out a tank.

New Super Mario Bros. : TPlayed it with 3 players and it was so much fun. All the hijinx that happens will make this a great multiplayer title.

Can't think of much else right now. So other stuff:

Met Garnet. He's a pretty nice guy. You really should not get to hard on the dude in the Listen UP thread.

Jeff Green answered me some exclusive questions! (coming later)

I have only been the third guy to day to mention to Alex Navarro his QVC appearance. :lol

Nerd Cred Pics:

I could listen to this guy all day:
289wwnd.jpg

Jeff Green awesome as always:
66zp5f.jpg

QVC God:
91jl2u.jpg

Xater

CrayzeeCarl said:

You can draw cars that than appear in the games. Some people were wondering if you could do a dick. The dev said as lng as it has two wheels you are fine. They actually tried it themselves and have nothing that prevents it. ;)

Oh I also played DC Universe Online. You can see that it is still pre-alpha but I still enjoyed the direct action combat. If they polish this thing enough it could be a great MMO.

Oh and sorry for no Microsoft or Square-Enix stuff yet. I hope I will get them done tomorrow.

Xater said:
You can draw cars that than appear in the games. Some people were wondering if you could do a dick. The dev said as lng as it has two wheels you are fine. They actually tried it themselves and have nothing that prevents it. ;)

Oh I also played DC Universe Online. You can see that it is still pre-alpha but I still enjoyed the direct action combat. If they polish this thing enough it could be a great MMO.

Oh and sorry for no Microsoft or Square-Enix stuff yet. I hope I will get them done tomorrow.

Is there much in the way of PC gaming related stuff happening there ?

tass0

Banned
Xater said:
Ok some impressions:

Heavy Rain (PS3): I was really impressed by the new scene I saw. There is a dude coming into a shop and then a robber appears. I saw 3 differet outcomes of the same scene. Alrigth the robber appears and the game goes into splitscreen mode. You see the robbery thorugh the security cameras and your self in a seperate window. You are hiding behind some racks. The first time the guy did nothing and the robber shot the shop owner. The second time he tried to intefer. He wanted to pick up a bottle but it fell down and the robber noticed him. He chose not to raise his hand so he was shot. The third time he raised his hands and through a distraction was able to overwhelm the robber. Great sutff.

Damn dude, your post made me really excited about Heavy Rain, it seems to be just like Fahrenheit, which was so fucking awesome I can't describe. I hope it has the same epic QTEs like evading things in your house that are flying towards you xD

Xater

Ogs said:
Overall, nothing specific :).

Oh yeah there was a bunch of PC stuff. For example Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were playable but I couldn#t get to it today. my colleagues did and they thought both games are amazing. Lot's of MMOs but besides DC Universe I didn't check anything out yet. Ganret told me FF14 is there so I have to check that out.

Anyone get a chance to play Scribblenauts yet? I'm gobbling up any and all impressions. I love it when real gamers get to get ahold of a game

Xater

SirPenguin said:
Anyone get a chance to play Scribblenauts yet? I'm gobbling up any and all impressions. I love it when real gamers get to get ahold of a game

If you had read my post I did. What do you want to know except that it's awesome?

Xater said:
Oh yeah there was a bunch of PC stuff. For example Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were playable but I couldn#t get to it today. my colleagues did and they thought both games are amazing. Lot's of MMOs but besides DC Universe I didn't check anything out yet. Ganret told me FF14 is there so I have to check that out.
look for FFXIII too if ya can, its nowhere to be seen on the net

Xater

BlazingDarkness said:
look for FFXIII too if ya can, its nowhere to be seen on the net

That's the plan. I still have to go through the whole Square-Enix stuff and definately don't wat to miss Microsoft. Really want to try out Forza 3.

Blablurn

i met ryan clements at the sony conference. fucking awesome guy. BEYOOOOND!

i'm loving the convention so far. it's really much bigger than leipzig. damn, i need to play dj hero. too bad i didn't had the time today to do it.
as xater already said: playing GT5 with this freaking awesome racing set up was a wondeful experience. too bad kojima rejected me :( or his partner. he was standing in front of me and i asked him for a autograph. but his people said that he was in a hurry :(( :(( he made a sad face at least.

Xater said:
If you had read my post I did. What do you want to know except that it's awesome?

Oh, I did catch your post (and your Tweet, I think, as you showed up in a search), but it was more of a general question.

How were the controls? And any memorable experiences from it, with levels or item interactions or whatever?

Xater

SirPenguin said:
Oh, I did catch your post (and your Tweet, I think, as you showed up in a search), but it was more of a general question.

How were the controls? And any memorable experiences from it, with levels or item interactions or whatever?

Controls may need some refinement. I sometimes had trouble having my scribblenaut interact with the items. But they may also be because I had to figure everything out by myself ina very short time.

One thing I tried was a Cop vs. Zomie fight. The cop lost , got turned into a zombie and then the zombies killed me. I also learned that God will ride on donkeys.

@Blablurn: Awww. it sucks that Kojima rejected you :( What did you think of PES and FIFA? I am no football expert so I'd like to hear your opinion. Did you also notice the missing 360 control in PES?

Blablurn

missing 360 control? but they added it to the game. i played both of them but i'm really prefering PES. it's all about the ball physics this time and konami did a great job. PES reminds me of FIFA 09 - but with better physics.

Xater

Blablurn said:
missing 360 control? but they added it to the game. i played both of them but i'm really prefering PES. it's all about the ball physics this time and konami did a great job. PES reminds me of FIFA 09 - but with better physics.

I don#t know it still felt like I could only go in 8 directions. It just wasn't the same as in FIFA imo.

Donos

nice impressions Xater and Blaburn. Weiter so !
Was this your only day at GC or can we hope for more impressions ?

Xater

Donos said:
nice impressions Xater and Blaburn. Weiter so !
Was this your only day at GC or can we hope for more impressions ?

I'll be there every day. Well maybe not Sunday.

I'll post the Jeff Green stuff tomorrow.

BeeDog

Xater, when you played GT5, were there any representatives around? Was thinking, if you do find your way back there, it'd be super swell if you could ask a representative why only the Impreza can be damaged in the demo. :p

Blablurn

i'll be there for the whole show :lol but i only have meetings on thursday an friday (and a last one one on saturday). it's awesome because i don't live very far away from cologne. my train even stops at the convention center which is pretty awesome. but i think a lot of people are going to visit the convention tomorrow. i really appreciated the press day today because you could play almost every game. the only big lines i saw were at blizzard for starcraft 2 and diablo 3 :lol i waited for about 5 minutes at the diablo 3 booth. but then i thought "what are you doing? you won't even play this game" (i'm not that huge into pc games).

Xater

BeeDog said:
Xater, when you played GT5, were there any representatives around? Was thinking, if you do find your way back there, it'd be super swell if you could ask a representative why only the Impreza can be damaged in the demo. :p

There was no one around. Believe me I would have asked a bunch of questions. Sadly that's the case for most japanese games.

I really liked that at Sony almost everything a dev floating around at some point. I also had a nice talk with the DC Universe guy. I had to ask him about weaknesses. I love that they though about putting weaknesses like Kryptonite in there. They still have some weaknesses in there. If your power is ice you will be weak to fire powers. Stuff like that.

For the comic geeks. Geoff Johns is writing it so I had to ask if Black Lanterns will be in it. He said that Geoff might work them in.

Top Bottom