• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC: "Taking an Axe to God of War Gameplay" | Deep dive into GoW Combat

Vick

Overrated: The Game
Me, an Xbox fan
giphy.gif

Bartski

Gold Member

great talk anyway, much recommended.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I like the game but also think is pretty overrated.

-The 30 fps doesnt do the franchise any favour.
-The story is all over the place. Too much lore to read and too many incognites. Previous entries were a lot more self-concluding.
-Not sure if we needed a The Last of War. The essence was lost in favour of another emotional tryhard.
-The epicity was also kinda lost. Yes the game has its moments, but pales in comparison to other entries.
-The music didnt help to make the game stand out either.

-The gameplay? Fine.

Vick

Gameplay would be better if the 30 degrees FOV could be increased. Hopefully this is included as an option on the pc version of the game.
This game is made by the same people who made you play as Kratos being the size of a literal pixel in previous games. If an incresed FOV would have benefited the game, don't you think would be there already?
They addressed the reason for their choices.

great talk anyway, much recommended.
Crap, sorry. I even searched for it.

Vick

If it really was, wouldn't that be reflected by users reception?

ysxp9g4.png

The game ran unlocked just like previous games. They never were full 60fps and Ascension, the one immediately before, was a bordeline 30fps title.
On PS5 God of War is locked 60.

-The story is all over the place. Too much lore to read and too many incognites. Previous entries were a lot more self-concluding.
Again, they were not. Most of them always ended in a cliffhanger, and you're not forced to read any lore. Also, i think anyone on the planet would agree with the story being on a whole different level compared to what was done before in the series.

-Not sure if we needed a The Last of War. The essence was lost in favour of another emotional tryhard.
It made a stagnant franchise relevant again and was met with universal love, apparently we needed it.

-The epicity was also kinda lost. Yes the game has its moments, but pales in comparison to other entries.
I can agree in regards to grand scale spectacle. But, to be fair, basically any game pales in comparison to other God of War entries when it comes to that.

giphy.gif

SLB1904

Banned
If it really was, wouldn't that be reflected by users reception?

ysxp9g4.png

The game ran unlocked just like previous games. They never were full 60fps and Ascension, the one immediately before, was a bordeline 30fps title.
On PS5 God of War is locked 60.

Again, they were not. Most of them always ended in a cliffhanger, and you're not forced to read any lore. Also, i think anyone on the planet would agree with the story being on a whole different level compared to what was done before in the series.

It made a stagnant franchise relevant again and was met with universal love, apparently we needed it.

I can agree in regards to grand scale spectacle. But, to be fair, basically any game pales in comparison to other God of War entries when it comes to that.

giphy.gif
The music part is funny

Three

-The gameplay? Fine.
Buddy there is a 60fps mode.
The story is amazing especially on a second playthrough where a lot more makes sense. The gameplay is great too.
It's an all round amazing game.

Well, for me god of war 2018 was a real let down compared to gow3 (I skipped ascension due to mixed reviews).

Where is my hades fight ? My Poseidon fight ?

And I'm not trolling (check my post history).

Amazing game and it's combat really struck that nice balance where it was very cinematic and fun to use, while still offering a good challenge. I remember starting it on hard and getting my ass handed to my by literally the very first small group of enemies you encounter. Took me a minute to readjust and realize that it wasn't the button mashing slaughter-fest of the previous games and it was more of a focused, precise slaughter-fest more akin to Dark Souls than previous entries and once I embraced that I was hooked.

Really a stand-out title on the PS4 and a fucking super feather in the cap for Sony in general. It's been a crazy consistently good series across 3 different generations and reinvented itself in a very solid way with it's PS4 release. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future as SSM really have a great grasp on what can make a stellar GoW game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Waiting for E3. Ain’t that funny.

It's a ritual at this point.

Phil Spencer 29:11

“‘For I know the plans I have for E3’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
The combat was honestly one of the worst aspects for this game. They've had three years since release to come up with excuses why they went with such a narrow field of view. The answer to that was for nicer graphics, less to render when you're just looking at the back of some sweaty dude.
And no, barlog did not code the combat. in fact most game developers don't even have time to play any contemporary titles which may explain why God of war 2018 had such poor combat.

Kumomeme

personally i kind of dissapointed with the combat. not saying it is terrible and not enjoyable. but i expect something great after lot of praise. the combat can be improved more. it is has its problem that i hope they fixed in the sequel.

Last edited:
pretty good vid. I like the stuff about getting the camera angle right. Love behind the scene things like that.

Never been a god of war guy. I played like an hour of the original and wasn't into it. Got convinced to play the new one. Loved it. One of my fave games of the decade. The axe gameplay just felt so good.

And i know its fun to hate Avengers....but the guy who did the Leviathan axe worked on Thors hammer for Avengers. And its so satisfying.

80% of the reason i got a PS5 is God of War Ragnarok

skit_data

Can’t wait to see the sequel. The end of the game shows Fimbulvinter so the next game will be really interesting as Ragnarök draws closer. Really looking forward to see how they will tie together the whole story, considering the reveal of Atreus identity and his ”true identity” role in Asatro

Edit: they need to give us more enemy variety, those organgutan bastards grew tiring

Last edited:

zkorejo

Ragnarok is the only game I'm looking forward to. Really excited for that one. Unless they go full retard like Neil Druckman, it should be an amazing game.

Blond

Banned
Holy shit, I crapped on the combat HARD but there's a lot of things he's demoing here I didn't even know was possible! I legit take it all back now.

Vick

personally i kind of dissapointed with the combat. not saying it is terrible and not enjoyable. but i expect something great after lot of praise. the combat can be improved more. it is has its problem that i hope they fixed in the sequel.
Such as? Genuinely curious.
It this another "camera should be further away" take, that would deprive the game of the visceral and intimate feel, main reason it's so special in the first place?

This entire combat system would simply not work with a different camera. I refuse to believe one could play the game and think a further camera would improve it when it's so obvious it would simply destroy it.

Holy shit, I crapped on the combat HARD but there's a lot of things he's demoing here I didn't even know was possible! I legit take it all back now.
And this one only addresses basic combat. 80% of it is missing, between all runic, special, other weapons and Atreus attacks.

When people say this is the best combat ever, they're usually referring to what you can do by the end of the game, like in Musphelleim challenges.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
GoW3 > every other entry in the series. That's where the series should've ended IMO and the latest title should've been a new IP, with new protagonist.

Kumomeme

Such as? Genuinely curious.
It this another "camera should be further away" take, that would deprive the game of the visceral and intimate feel, main reason it's so special in the first place?

This entire combat system would simply not work with a different camera. I refuse to believe one could play the game and think a further camera would improve it when it's so obvious it would simply destroy it.

And this one only addresses basic combat. 80% of it is missing, between all runic, special, other weapons and Atreus attacks.

When people say this is the best combat ever, they're usually referring to what you can do by the end of the game, like in Musphelleim challenges.
i has no issue with the camera. it still manageable. other stuff for example controlling Kratos is like controlling Joel. he is heavy. there is weight to his running..which is fine but on certain moment during combat, it demand player to be fast and react quickly and yet Kratos response can be 'slow'. also the enemy placement can be improved. instead of everyone gangbang mindlessly, they can atleast put formation, or have the monster spread out like in uncharted game. the monster also can have attacking form so player can know and anticipated what kind of move it gonna use + add whatever suitable attacking pattern with it. also sometimes i confused of Kratos' dodge box.

and hope they add more variation of monster with variation of moveset.

i didnt finished the game, but i dont have trouble with the combat. but this is some of area i believe can be improved. the combat is fun but never been perfect at first place. certainly has room to get better. not saying the combat is suck, it is 'solid' but it still has flaw and can be improved further.

Last edited:

llien

A recently released, very interesting video that goes deep into the creation of what, personally, i found to be the most satisfying combat in any game i've played.
I sign that.
With blood of my enemies.

Nothing comes close to it, it is a true masterpiece.

pratyush

Seems like every different opinion around here is trolling

You just said Overrated game. That's not something I would classify as opinion. It's just shit posting style. Maybe elaborate on what you didn't like. What didnt work for you. If you don't want people to consider it as drive by troll posting then maybe not post "overrated game" on it's technology discussion video. Just my opinion

Top Bottom