• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War E-Day Has Been Announced!

I preferred Gears 4 and Gears 5 over 2 and 3. The original is probably still the best imho. The sequels just got too bogged down in the stale formula that every AAA game was using during that generation.

Hopefully this keeps and expands upon some of the new things 4 and 5 introduced.
Everyone came down heavily on Gears 1 because it "didn't have a story" but it didn't need cinematic every 5 minutes because the pacing was perfect.

Things got dicey when they started adding "story".

The only way this game should end is with a final cutscene of Marcus and Dom escaping on one of the last ships to flee the burning city as the worldwide Hammer of Dawn strikes mentioned in Gears 1 begin and destroy what remains of the surface

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've only one question - Why the fuck?:messenger_face_steam:

So you started the new storyline, new characters and character arcs, changed the old formula, shacked up gameplay, gunplay and combat encounters to make it all far better and for what? To not finish the work you've done and go back to the ancient design of the old trilogy and much less likable characters with huge shoulders, square chins, cover based and boring gameplay in concrete jungles.... AGAIN? JFC. NO!

I don't like any of the characters in original trilogy and not a fan of boring af cover based gameplay, boring combat encounters in concrete jungles when you most of the time sitting under cover. Who asked for this? I mean, we haven't seen the gameplay but I can't imagine it'll be any different from the first trilogy, not to mention level / combat design and encounters. Gears 4 was shit, I forced mysref to finish the game just to see the story. Gears 5 was the best Gears game I've played with much more likable characters and even much better Marcus.

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Seems impossible if Marcus and Dom meet him for the first time only 14 years later.
I'm not sure if or how they will bring back Cole, Baird, and Anya. They could insert sections of the others doing their own thing elsewhere on the planet I guess but I feel like that would be awkward and not advance Marcus and Dom's story in any way.

The Skull

Please bring back the level of interactivity Gears 2 had. 4 and 5 are so horribly static. That being said, the trailer was fantastic and the info released so far about the game direction sounds promising.

So you started the new storyline, new characters and character arcs, changed the old formula, shacked up gameplay, gunplay and combat encounters to make it all far better and for what? To not finish the work you've done and go back to the ancient design of the old trilogy and much less likable characters with huge shoulders, square chins, cover based and boring gameplay in concrete jungles.... AGAIN? JFC. NO!

I don't like any of the characters in original trilogy and not a fan of boring af cover based gameplay, boring combat encounters in concrete jungles when you most of the time sitting under cover. Who asked for this? I mean, we haven't seen the gameplay but I can't imagine it'll be any different from the first trilogy, not to mention level / combat design and encounters. Gears 4 was shit, I forced mysref to finish the game just to see the story. Gears 5 was the best Gears game I've played with much more likable characters and even much better Marcus.

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif
Imagine having terrible opinions.

Gears 5 plays nice, but isn't anywhere close to the original trilogy. "Likable characters" lol what? JD is whatever but we have the story centering on Kait who is a perfect example of people not knowing how to actually write a strong female character. She is a woe is me, I don't care what anybody is going through because I'm going through stuff, do what I say or GTFO character. She had promise, and I liked her at first but she ended up being terrible. Then you have whatever the fuck his name is that just sucks Kaits dick the entire time and tells her that its okay when she hides things from people because it's her but when others like JD do the exact same thing it's not okay.

Hey it could be worse. She could be Spartan Locke.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif
Gears 4 and 5 are by far the worst in the series. They almost killed the franchise.

We've had enough of these colorful, semi-open world games with female leads.

Fuck that.

Bring back the horror and testosterone. The brutality, bleakness, grittiness, tight corridors that made part 1 a masterpiece. Up the graphics 10x, add real destruction, and make the enemies fucking fearful again. This sounds like the real Gears of WAR

Last edited:

Ristifer

Come on manI've only one question - Why the fuck?:messenger_face_steam:

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif
Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Jetpac

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif

You are litterally the reason Gears has been trash and the multiplayer has died. OG gears was about tactical pacing and position. Not boring COD run and gun bs.

SRTtoZ

Love me some Gears campaign. I just hope it's a step up from the last few and evolves from that. Gears 4/5 felt way too samey and stuck in 2007.

[Microsoft]You want to take back everything you did [with Gears 4 and 5]but you can't.
And when you say that [this is the new Gears] all the memories they come back, they come back, they come back.
They come back, They come back, they come back./
[and I like it]

Fbh

Shame about no gameplay but that was a great trailer.

If this this isn't some bait and switch and it's a proper Gears game with Marcus in the lead role and not some young adult novel crap like 4 and 5.....oh boy I need to start saving up for that PC

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't understand. What is this? When does it take place? What happened to Gears 4/5?

- This is a video game from the Gears of War franchise
- 14 years before the first game
- Gears 4/5 story will be revisited after this

:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Ok, joke aside. E-Day is Emergence Day in the Gears lore, that is when the Locusts started to burrow out of the ground to attack the planet. At that point in the lore, two big 'factions' of the world are having their own war so they are caught off-guard by the new monstrous threat and have to set aside their own war to fight the Locusts.

They've said that they plan to make even the regular grunt level enemies be bigger threats in this game since at this point no one has seen them, or is ready for them. Hence 80% of the trailer is Marcus getting his ass kicked by a single grunt.

Goalus

I'm not sure if or how they will bring back Cole, Baird, and Anya. They could insert sections of the others doing their own thing elsewhere on the planet I guess but I feel like that would be awkward and not advance Marcus and Dom's story in any way.
Marcus and Anya already know each other at the time of E-day.

Ok, joke aside. E-Day is Emergence Day in the Gears lore, that is when the Locusts started to burrow out of the ground to attack the planet. At that point in the lore, two big 'factions' of the world are having their own war so they are caught off-guard by the new monstrous threat and have to set aside their own war to fight the Locusts.
That war between COG and UIR had ended right before E-day, six weeks before if I am not mistaken. Which doesn't mean that the humans aren't caught off-guard of course.

Last edited:

IDappa

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif
Doesn’t sound like you’re a gears fan…

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
Then you have whatever the fuck his name is that just sucks Kaits dick the entire time and tells her that its okay when she hides things from people because it's her but when others like JD do the exact same thing it's not okay.
For added context, this isn't what happened. JD got his entire squad killed at the beginning of the game by going against orders and utilizing a super weapon that wasn't ready and fully tested, thinking he was an untouchable solo Nathan Drake-esque action movie hero who could handle it, and was rightfully reprimanded by everyone (including Marcus) for doing so. He treated his comrades like expendables with zero regard for their lives, something Marcus would have never done in the original trilogy.

He got shit from everyone for most of the game, he humbled himself, and he started being a better team player like Marcus told him to be, when it finally mattered in the end.

This is why that ultimate choice in 5 would make more sense for it to be him. Unfortunately, they didn't do enough character development for Del (which could theoretically be fixed in 6) and fans want JD to be the choice, with you guys not knowing that you're denying all of us the chance to see an enraged Marcus in 6.

Last edited:

chlorate

Gears is about active reloads, Horde Mode, Execution, shotgun duels, Longshot headshots, grenade melees, and a bit of blindfire but not too much.

Doesn’t sound like you’re a gears fan…
Dude gotta be trolling.
I'm just curious, so we're talking a gears eday release in what? maybe 2 to 3 years? then what another 3 to 4 years for the gears 6? I rather them just come out with a book about Gears 6 at that point

DAHGAMING

Wasnt expecting this but realy happy with it. I have played all Gears games and always thought of a game around E-day. I did enjoy Gears 4 and 5 but it just wasnt the same as the original trilogy. I wonder whats going on with the rumored Fenix remaster collection though ? The rumors have been about for a few yrs now, I wonder if there holding it back to release maybe next yr with E-Day 2026, maybe its just more leaker bullshit but I still hope for it.

Schmendrick

well "in-engine" means nothing and since we`ve seen zero gameplay this game probably doesn`t exist in any even remotely playable form at the moment...sooo.... 2+years away at least.
All in all .....why even show this when there`s nothing to show yet?

Last edited:
well "in-engine" means nothing and since we`ve seen zero gameplay this game probably doesn`t exist in any even remotely playable form at the moment...sooo.... 2+years away at least.
All in all .....why even show this when there`s nothing to show yet?
Because it's MS? They always show games which are canceled, 6-7 years away, or both

But this is Gears, it WILL eventually come out. It might end up being for PS6 but it WILL be played by us. Someday.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah they need to show way more than this to get me erected.

For being basically a cutscene, faces were really fucking disappointing, are they not even using metahuman tech?

Last edited:

IDappa

Dude gotta be trolling.
I'm just curious, so we're talking a gears eday release in what? maybe 2 to 3 years? then what another 3 to 4 years for the gears 6? I rather them just come out with a book about Gears 6 at that point
Trolling?, been playing gears since gow1, played every release. Most people who are fans of the franchise want them to go back to its roots (gears 1-3) . New gears Story is boring and cannot hold a candle to 1-3, atmosphere and gameplay doesn’t feel the same, just not enough slow horror vibes and they feel to clean (gears 3 was peak). I don’t see how you can dunk on old gears while it was superior in every way and setup the modern takes. Only thing I would say is one’s gameplay may be a bit dated these days but was generation defining when released.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Nope, Geoff is either salty or pissed at Microsoft as usual. We've all known for years Geoff is a Sony fanboy:

Who the hell is Jamir Blanco? And unless they work at Blur or know someone who worked there on this presentation. I wouldnt put too much stock in what they say. The video said "In Engine" not realtime. Devs dont skip the opportunity to say realtime when its realtime.

GinSama

Love this time line of GOW

Always happy to see Fenix pissing off Hoffman.

Love the last games although story wise I prefer the old trilogy (even Judgment).

StueyDuck

Nope, Geoff is either salty or pissed at Microsoft as usual. We've all known for years Geoff is a Sony fanboy:

This is kind of a bit of fluffery.

Sure it was rendered in "real-time" most likely on a machine designed for offline rendering for major blockbuster movies. Then there's the added notion of calling it real-time when technically we are just seeing a video anyway. so what exactly is real-time, just because it was running on an engine when they hit record doesn't mean it's indicative of a video game.

To be clear I don't care that Blur made the trailer, nor that they are open about it. But that tweet acting like "No AKSHUALLY" is a bit silly. Just semantically alone it's not real-time what we are seeing anyway. I understand CG is a hot-button topic but at the end of the day, we didn't see an Xbox playing a game.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Who the hell is Jamir Blanco? And unless they work at Blur or know someone who worked there on this presentation. I wouldnt put too much stock in what they say. The video said "In Engine" not realtime. Devs dont skip the opportunity to say realtime when its realtime.
He extrapolated in-engine to mean realtime, he admitted as much in the comments.

Top Bottom