• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce RTX 3090 Ti launches on March 29th, reviews coming on the same day

Draugoth

Gold Member
NVIDIA-RTX3090Ti-Hero2.jpg

NVIDIA is now planning to introduce and launch its RTX 3090 Ti SKU on March 29th. In fact, product reviews, including custom models, will also be published on the same day.

NVIDIA shared new embargo information to its boards partners, including the final dates for submission of the press releases (for NVIDIA to approve) and review seeding list. Those should be fulfilled between 3rd and 4th week of March.

The company has not provided any explanation for the graphics card’s delay since its original launch date of January 27th. Off the record, it is said that there were problems with the 2 GB GDDR6X memory that were discovered right before the cards were supposed to ship to reviewers.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti will feature GA102-350 GPU with 10752 CUDA cores, a full configuration for this GPU. This model is to be NVIDIA’s first with 21 Gbps GDDR6X with a maximum bandwidth exceeding 1 TB/s. The RTX 3090 Ti is also expected to be the first graphics card to feature a 16-pin PCIe Gen5 power connector and require as much as 450W of power.

skneogaf

My founder's edition 3090 which I'm not impressed with is likely to be close enough.

Especially as I play elden ring therefore 60fps lock.

Why would anyone spend thousands on this knowing that the 4000 series is right around the corner is beyond me. It's not like you'll really have any more chance grabbing one of this anyway.

Who cares?

Only crypto miners care...
This type of card is totally not interesting for miners even if mining profitability wasn't already at it's worst spot in a year.

It's a card to make sure Nvidia keeps the performance crown in the benchmarks. It will be a power hog and extremely expensive.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Normally I'd make a joke about people buying production cards for gaming, but at resale prices, if you can get one of these for RRP it might not even be a bad idea.
This has been the case for the last year and a half. There’s never been a better time to upgrade IF you can find one at MSRP. You’ll likely be able to sell your old one for more than you paid for it.

And if you get lucky and find an even better card for MSRP, you can upgrade again and flip your barely used one for more than you paid for it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This has been the case for the last year and a half. There’s never been a better time to upgrade IF you can find one at MSRP. You’ll likely be able to sell your old one for more than you paid for it.

And if you get lucky and find an even better card for MSRP, you can upgrade again and flip your barely used one for more than you paid for it.

This being said, nVidia gouged their own products with the latest Ti line so even RRP for these things is bullshit.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I assume partner cards will keep using 3x8? High end 3080 and 3090s already use 3x8 and have a 450w XOC bios.

Surprised this is coming out this late tbh. Figured it was canceled as it was rumored nvidia couldn't get the power management right on the founders edition.

manfestival

My prediction of reviews: Not positive. Based on poor price to performance ratio. Complaints about it being a blatant cash grab and that the card only exists to squeeze more out of the market from the current bins like everyone else is doing in the tech industry.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Will keep my regular 3090 but interested in seeing the reviews. Seems a bit too close to next gen though.

Dream-Knife

Banned
My prediction of reviews: Not positive. Based on poor price to performance ratio. Complaints about it being a blatant cash grab and that the card only exists to squeeze more out of the market from the current bins like everyone else is doing in the tech industry.
Remember when this gen launched and everyone laughed at the price to performance of the 3090 vs the 3080? Then the 3080ti and 12gb model came out to increase msrp? People still bought them. People will still buy this. Some people have to have the best, regardless of whether they will notice the extra performance or not.

The same people buying this will upgrade to the 4090 or titan when those come around. Interestingly those same people generally didn't buy titans in previous gens, so bigger number is more better.

The real question is, what will 40 series msrp be? Demand is still insane, and nvidia knows they can charge 1200 or more for an 80 series. Add to it our runaway inflation.

winjer

Gold Member
Another over priced GPU, with limited availability, that will be great for miners.
Screw you nvidia, for wasting waffers on such pointless GPUs.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, my RTX 3090 was king for a while. Doubt this is worth the upgrade with the 4000 series on the horizon. There's scant few titles that even really make use of my card, let alone upgrades versions of it.

Buggy Loop

Who cares?

Only crypto miners care...

This keeps poping up as an easy backstab at the situation, but i would actually be curious to poll peoples here that wanted a GPU if they got it.

Steam hardware survey showcases that 11.9% of GPUs are ampere now. Turing 20xx series with 11.7%.

It’s not negligible.

Resetera did a survey, 1493 users responded they have a 30xx card for a 55% of the poll answers. I managed to get two at MSRP. If you just expect to randomly stumble on one in a Best Buy without effort, then yea, it might seem like a problem.

The question is, where the fuck are AMD cards? Where? They are abysmal and non present in hardware survey. In fact as summer 2021, 3090 sold more than all RDNA2 cards, Ampere cards hold 93% of the new GPU market, so where is AMD and their « not paper » launch?

Last edited:
I mean the cuda core count of the 3090 Ti is 10752, while the current 3090 has 10496. That's 256 more. Minuscule upgrade. To put this into perspective, the 3070 has 5888 cuda cores while the 3070 Ti has 6144. 256 more to be exact. Proportionally speaking, the improvement between the 3070 and 3070 ti is shit @ 4.3% more cudas, but the one between the 3090s is shittier yet @ 2.4% more cudas . The 3070 has GDDR6 @ 14Gbps while the 3070 Ti has GDDR6X @ 19Gbps. Still the difference in performance between a 3070 and a 2070 Ti is very small and basically disappointing for anyone who were looking for a mid gap level performance difference between a 3070 and a 3080. You can easily overclock 3070 Ti memory speed up to 22Gbps. You can overclock the 3090 GDDR6X memory from 19Gbps up to 22Gbps, which is faster than what 3090 Ti's 21Gbps offer.

Basically, you can expect a 3090 with a basic overclock beating 3090 Ti all days. The 3090 Ti will win stock battles or extreme overclock battles, but even so it won't win by any significant margin. They'd really have to pump up all the other specs as well to make a real difference. TMUs, ROPs, SMs, Tensor cores, RT cores, etc. A very small increase in each won't really do jack shit to notice any perceptual difference in games.

Basically, fuck the 3070 Ti and fuck the 3090 Ti....

Coming from a 3070 Ti owner...

Almost. It does have a few more units.
The biggest difference is the TDP. 100 Watts more than the 3090.

ftxdAif.jpg
Yeah what I thought. That small increment comes with the 2 additional GPU clusters. Fucking sucks shit. FUCK

Expect OCed 3090 beating this with ease. The real difference is the base and boost clock. But an overclock will fix this.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah what I thought. That small increment comes with the 2 additional GPU clusters. Fucking sucks shit. FUCK

Expect OCed 3090 beating this with ease. The real difference is the base and boost clock. But an overclock will fix this.

It's just an excuse for nVidia to increase prices, again.

Corona, Crypto and Nvidia finally chased me away. Wake me up when 5XXX launches.
Well said. Had the same effect on me, too.

I was holding out on getting a 3000 series card but all of the bullshit around them soured me greatly on Nvidia in general. I have a 1070Ti that can play most of my currently owned games at 1440p, but I had to tone down Red Dead Redemption 2 way more than I wanted to, so I decided to get a new card.

So, for this gen, I'm going Team Red (6900 XT). And the order just took a couple of clicks. No F5'ing. No subscribing to 3 different Twitter feeds, 5 Discord channels, and 15 stock apps. No need to buy from a scalper. No need to make a line outside of Micro Center. Ain't got time for any of that bullshit 😂

Maybe someday I'll come back to Nvidia. Maybe...

Last edited:
That TDP tho... I wonder how much of Nvidia's R&D is dedicated to efficiency or is it just not possible 🤔

AMD seems to do an okay job. Apple, although they're lacking in the "power" department trounces Nvidia on the efficiency side. Anyone else see those M1 Ultra numbers? Looks promising, should be interesting to see how it performs on the graphics side/productivity side.

Dream-Knife

Banned
This keeps poping up as an easy backstab at the situation, but i would actually be curious to poll peoples here that wanted a GPU if they got it.

Steam hardware survey showcases that 11.9% of GPUs are ampere now. Turing 20xx series with 11.7%.

It’s not negligible.

Resetera did a survey, 1493 users responded they have a 30xx card for a 55% of the poll answers. I managed to get two at MSRP. If you just expect to randomly stumble on one in a Best Buy without effort, then yea, it might seem like a problem.

The question is, where the fuck are AMD cards? Where? They are abysmal and non present in hardware survey. In fact as summer 2021, 3090 sold more than all RDNA2 cards, Ampere cards hold 93% of the new GPU market, so where is AMD and their « not paper » launch?
When I had an AMD card (6800) for a year I was only asked once about the steam survey. In the 3 months of having ampere I have yet to get a survey.
I wouldn't necessarily use the Steam hardware survey to gauge the market at large.

Well said. Had the same effect on me, too.

I was holding out on getting a 3000 series card but all of the bullshit around them soured me greatly on Nvidia in general. I have a 1070Ti that can play most of my currently owned games at 1440p, but I had to tone down Red Dead Redemption 2 way more than I wanted to, so I decided to get a new card.

So, for this gen, I'm going Team Red (6900 XT). And the order just took a couple of clicks. No F5'ing. No subscribing to 3 different Twitter feeds, 5 Discord channels, and 15 stock apps. No need to buy from a scalper. No need to make a line outside of Micro Center. Ain't got time for any of that bullshit 😂

Maybe someday I'll come back to Nvidia. Maybe...
You'll be back when you get tired of the driver bs. As of Dec 2021 they still haven't fixed the random idle memory spikes that make zero RPM useless.

Never had to reinstall windows more than when I used AMD.
That TDP tho... I wonder how much of Nvidia's R&D is dedicated to efficiency or is it just not possible 🤔

AMD seems to do an okay job. Apple, although they're lacking in the "power" department trounces Nvidia on the efficiency side. Anyone else see those M1 Ultra numbers? Looks promising, should be interesting to see how it performs on the graphics side/productivity side.
I imagine the next chips will be more efficient. Ultimately it doesn't really matter in a desktop for most users.

M1 Max has over twice the transistor count of the GA102. They're using a smaller node with a much more expensive chip that they just aren't pushing as hard.

You can have that efficiency if you want something less powerful and more expensive.

Last edited:

Chiggs

And still 3090ti is pointless with 4xxx coming in less then 6 months, you buy at start of gen if you want to enjoy it for full 2 year cycle as top dog.

I feel bad for anyone who buys this card. Even rich people. It's just an awful product.

GamingArena

I feel bad for anyone who buys this card. Even rich people. It's just an awful product.
Absolutely, we talking about at best 2-4% difference from 3090 this is halo product just casue... nothing else, who ever buys this at this point in time with Lovelace literally around the corner and by leaked specs 4070 should murder this overpriced lemon its out of touch and reality period.

Absolutely, we talking about at best 2-4% difference from 3090 this is halo product just casue... nothing else, who ever buys this at this point in time with Lovelace literally around the corner and by leaked specs 4070 should murder this overpriced lemon its out of touch and reality period.
Not to mention the increase in pricing, for non existent performance gains.

Top Bottom