• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia restores gun rights to ex-cop who sexually assaulted a woman with his gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugs Bunny leaves Florida alone, sets his sights on Georgia

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...ied-to-sexually-assault-a-woman-with-his-gun/

:/

Georgia Restores Gun Rights To Ex-Cop Who Tried To Sexually Assault A Woman With His Gun

A Georgia appeals courts decision upholding the sexual assault conviction of a former cop named Dennis Krauss is difficult to read. According to the record in Krauss’ trial, the former officer was dispatched to the home of a woman who called 911 alleging that her husband had hit her. Rather than arresting the husband, however, Krauss asked the victim to ride with him in his police car. Once she was in his car, “Krauss told the victim that he could take her to jail if he wanted to” or, if she did not want to be arrested, she could have sex with him instead. Krauss’ words, according to the court opinion, were “[w]e can go to the motel or you can go to jail.”

At the motel, Krauss drew his service weapon and told the woman that he wanted to anally penetrate her with the gun. When she refused, and began to cry, “Krauss then pushed her back, pulled off her pants, and had sex with her.” And then he drove her home to the same husband that led her to call the police in the first place.

Krauss was convicted of sexual assault against a person in custody, and this one instance of sexual assault is far from the only allegation against him. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “[h]is record was filled with allegations of misconduct: that he beat a prisoner so severely the man’s brain bled; that he threatened to fabricate charges against a suspect so he could sleep with the man’s wife; that he pressured at least 10 women for sex to avoid arrest.” The former cop, for his part, is unrepentant. When asked about his sexual assault conviction, he claims that “[t]here wasn’t any crime,” and that “I was dealt a bad hand.”

And yet, in July of 2013, the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles restored Krauss’ right to carry a firearm. According to a Journal-Constitution tally, he is one of 358 violent felons who regained these rights over a six year period. That includes 32 violent felons who killed someone, and 44 who committed sex crimes. One man regained his right to own a gun in 2012 after serving a 10 year sentence for child molestation and aggravated child molestation. Some offenders regained their gun rights after being convicted of crimes such as armed robbery, burglary or aggravated assault.

The pardon board’s decisions to restore gun rights to these offenders is consistent with a broader culture of permissiveness regarding firearms that pervades Georgia’s government. Last April, Gov. Nathan Deal (R) signed a bill that former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords’ organization, Americans for Responsible Solutions, described as “the most extreme gun bill in America.” The new law permits guns in bars, churches, nightclubs and libraries. It eliminates criminal charges against people who bring guns into places, such as airports, where firearms are forbidden. It expands the state’s Stand Your Ground law to allow felons to invoke this defense. And it permits certain teachers and school administrators to carry guns inside their schools.

Maybe we need to invite the British back over to burn down our government again.

Chariot

Oh my god. This is sick. The initial rape is sick, the ex-cop is sick, giving him back his guns rights is sick. America law and cops seems to be a bit sick right now. And the worst thing with all this incidents is: I don't know if it's becoming worse or if it was always like this and it's just getting more public.
The new law permits guns in bars, churches, nightclubs and libraries. It eliminates criminal charges against people who bring guns into places, such as airports, where firearms are forbidden. It expands the state’s Stand Your Ground law to allow felons to invoke this defense. And it permits certain teachers and school administrators to carry guns inside their schools.
WHY

At the motel, Krauss drew his service weapon and told the woman that he wanted to anally penetrate her with the gun. When she refused, and began to cry, “Krauss then pushed her back, pulled off her pants, and had sex with her.” And then he drove her home to the same husband that led her to call the police in the first place.

how'd her husband not murder the cop after that? that's crazy.

Oh my god. This is sick. The initial rape is sick, the ex-cop is sick, giving him back his guns rights is sick. America law and cops seems to be a bit sick right now. And the worst thing with all this incidents is: I don't know if it's becoming worse or if it was always like this and it's just getting more public.

It's been like this. The real test for the U.S. is if it ever changes now that it's coming to light more and more.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, fuck him and everybody who agreed with this. That man is as monster. Jesus. A cop who's called to help a battered spouse and ends up raping her?

Feed him to the actual pigs. Bad cops don't get any badder than that.

Siegcram

Why isn't he in jail still?
Fucking this.

I mean it's not even his only conviction:
“[h]is record was filled with allegations of misconduct: that he beat a prisoner so severely the man’s brain bled; that he threatened to fabricate charges against a suspect so he could sleep with the man’s wife; that he pressured at least 10 women for sex to avoid arrest.”
That creep shouldn't be out in public with or without gun. But with is even worse. What the fuck are they doing in Georgia?

how'd her husband not murder the cop after that? that's crazy.

resized_training-day-meme-generator-you-wanna-go-to-jail-or-you-wanna-go-home-17e3ce.jpg

For some people their only moral compulsion comes from what they can get away with, he got a get out of jail free card for beating his wife and all he had to do was let her have sex with someone.

New gun laws like Georgia's don't make any sense to me. Pundits have managed to convince so many people that "they" are going to take your guns away, that with each incident of extreme violence, our gun laws actually get MORE lax and permissive and downright dangerous. Why would anyone need a gun at the airport?

andycapps

Wow. So many questions after that OP. Why is he out of jail so soon? Why are they letting him have a gun, ever? Why are they letting violent felons and people convicted of armed robbery have guns, legally?

akira28

he made an appeal "I'm a piece of shit and people will want to kill me, I need to defend myself. I'm an ex-cop dammit. I fought for law and order, you owe me!"

Stet

Banned
He was sentenced to only 2 years prison time and 1 year probation.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/052302/met_9479372.html

"However, the judge said he considered several mitigating factors in the case, including the fact that Krauss had been a 25-year law enforcement veteran before resigning after his arrest and has suffered humiliation as well as loss of work because of his actions.
Krauss began sobbing as he testified that he was a single father with sole custody of his 16-year-old daughter. He testified that because of her past problems with her mother and stepfather, there would be nobody to care for her if he was sent to prison although he does have relatives in Brunswick.
Assistant District Attorney Susan Thornton, in her argument seeking the maximum sentence, said that the woman has been so traumatized by what Krauss did that she has been hospitalized twice for suicide attempts and can't work because she now distrusts all men."

I can't. I seriously can't. The judge went lenient on him because he had to take care of his teenage daughter and because he suffered humiliation?

Wilsongt

Is Georgia literally run by the NRA? Otherwise I can't even comprehend what's going on there.

It's a red state fighting back against the tyranny of the Obama government by making sure everyone has a gun.

You know, to keep people safe and all.

The sentence is light because it was his first proven offense as a former 'upstanding citizen'. Most of the allegations would be inadmissible in the court or easily dismissed by the defense, as they aren't actually evidence if he wasn't convicted or disciplined for the infractions.

"However, the judge said he considered several mitigating factors in the case, including the fact that Krauss had been a 25-year law enforcement veteran before resigning after his arrest and has suffered humiliation as well as loss of work because of his actions.
Krauss began sobbing as he testified that he was a single father with sole custody of his 16-year-old daughter. He testified that because of her past problems with her mother and stepfather, there would be nobody to care for her if he was sent to prison although he does have relatives in Brunswick.
Assistant District Attorney Susan Thornton, in her argument seeking the maximum sentence, said that the woman has been so traumatized by what Krauss did that she has been hospitalized twice for suicide attempts and can't work because she now distrusts all men."

I can't. I seriously can't. The judge went lenient on him because he had to take care of his teenage daughter and because he suffered humiliation?

Disgusting. Meanwhile, the mother who snuck her child into a school across town was convicted of a felony.

Siegcram

It's a red state fighting back against the tyranny of the Obama government by making sure everyone has a gun.

You know, to keep people safe and all.
How do you sell "convicted rapists, robbers and mentally ill people with guns" as making anything, let alone a state, safer? Are americans that stupid in Georgia?

I know. That poor poor cop. So humiliated after sexually humiliating an civilian that he signed on in the first place to protect. My frown can't sag any more than it is already :(

The new law permits guns in bars, churches, nightclubs and libraries. It eliminates criminal charges against people who bring guns into places, such as airports, where firearms are forbidden. It expands the state’s Stand Your Ground law to allow felons to invoke this defense. And it permits certain teachers and school administrators to carry guns inside their schools.

"We have replaced this states' gun control laws with a nuke. Let's see if anyone notices."

Wilsongt

How do you sell "convicted rapists, robbers and mentally ill people with guns" as making anything, let alone a state, safer? Are americans that stupid in Georgia?

When you drum up enough FUD that a president is going to somehow trample on the Bill of Rights, then you'd be amazed at what happens. Even though Republicans really only care about the 2nd amendment being attacked with a Democrat does it, and only care about the 1st amendment when they say something stupid and then proceed to get censored and attacked for it.

Hey, judge, the defendant's teenage daughter might be better served if rapists went to jail for longer than 2 years. Just saying.

DarkKyo

If he had a darker skin color he would be in jail for the rest of his life. Fact.

I don't even have to know his skin color to know this.

I've lived in Georgia my whole life and I do love it here, but there are a lot of stupid fucking people who are very proud of their own ignorance. They can't be reasoned with. That said, this type of "good-ole-boy" cronyism is rampant in all segments of authority, not just in the south. The "guns everywhere" law is stupid though.

Siegcram

When you drum up enough FUD that a president is going to somehow trample on the Bill of Rights, then you'd be amazed at what happens. Even though Republicans really only care about the 2nd amendment being attacked with a Democrat does it, and only care about the 1st amendment when they say something stupid and then proceed to get censored and attacked for it.
I'll never understand this utter infatuation with firearms that seems to override all and every reason in certain parts of america.

meanwhile, another minority goes to jail for half a decade on a non-violent drug charge. Or better yet, for life on 3 strikes.

nope, nope, nope

Kibbles

How is he not in jail for rape and still a cop let alone allowed to use a gun. What in the actual fuck. Fire everyone who allowed this to happen and allowed him back. :(

Siegcram

How is he not in jail for rape and still a cop let alone allowed to use a gun. What in the actual fuck. Fire everyone who allowed this to happen and allowed him back. :(
He's not a cop anymore.
As for the rest, he was a white cop and had a sob-story about a teenage daughter. He was dealt a bad hand, give him a break.

Kettch

Goddamn our justice system is fucked up. An unrepentant rapist is the exact kind of person you keep locked up. Usually we have the opposite problem of keeping rehabilitated people locked up for far too long.

Shredderi

I know it's not in good taste to say things like this, but I seriously wish that this man gets what's coming to him. This guy is a menace and needs to be away from other people.

Zynx

Wow, so many crazy stories about injustice popping up today. Each one more sickening the the previous.

I wonder if there will be reform, ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom