• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Majors arrested on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Kinda like "gender" for the left, eh?

I thnk "woke" just means "deliberately non traditional".

I suppose so.

But there's nothing wrong with being nontraditional... Deliberately or otherwise. End of the day, we're all human with the same human wants and needs.

Vestal

Gold Member
It was an extremely dumb analogy to make, but that shouldn't lose anyone a job. Certainly not in a world where other actors are assaulting people and committing actual crimes without losing theirs.
Its knowing how to read the room before you say something... Context, knowing your audience and the moment matter.

This shit would have happened 40 years ago if the Internet was a thing.. But back then most public figures had a filter aka their PR folks before anything they said or did made it to public view. Every quote, comment was curated and sanitized by PR and the media as a whole.

End of the day, you have to own what you say, when you say it, and accept the consequences. When you write something on social media you are making a statement to the world, not just your 5 friends.

Azurro

Banned
I suppose so.

But there's nothing wrong with being nontraditional... Deliberately or otherwise. End of the day, we're all human with the same human wants and needs.

This is an extremely stupid attempt at equating these two concepts. A "Woke" person is someone that believes in progressive ideology, which includes genre ideology, third wave feminism, intersectionality and so on. Even if someone cannot tell you a dictionary definition, it's easy to get an intuition of what it is: someone saying they are victims all the time, finding everything to be racist, someone that puts people in victim totems and so on. You for example, are very woke.

The reason why it is a dumb equation, is because the idiots on the left don't even know what is a man or a woman. The left has no concept of reality.

Teletraan1

Banned
Imagine a world where using actual history to get people to turn down the temperature on hateful back and forth gets you fired but directly calling someone one of the most hateful things in existence gets a pass because your bosses are caught up in hateful back and forth. Both Pedro and Hamill have directly used Nazi comparisons but they were against the right people. Only proving her point. Either they all get fired or none of them should. I lean towards the latter.

SaintALia

What was he fired from? Because he directed all 3 GotG for Disney.
Got fired for a year, then reinstated for the final GotG movie.

"James Gunn has been reinstated as writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after being fired by Disney last year.

The 51-year-old film-maker, who had been behind both previous instalments of the Marvel franchise, came under fire when old tweets resurfaced that made light of 9/11, rape and paedophilia. The Walt Disney Studios chairman, Alan Horn, called Gunn’s behaviour “indefensible” and severed ties with him."

"According to Deadline, the decision to rehire him was made months ago after conversations between Disney and Marvel. Horn was reportedly persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and a series of meetings.

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” Gunn said at the time. “I have regretted them for many years since – not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”"
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/15/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3

I doubt Gina Carano is coming back though.

And if the women coming forward about JM have their receipts, he's gone. Marvel is going to have a warm time with that though, Loki is finished filming and we're talking about the entire MCU tying to this one villain. He does have multiple versions though, so it gives them an out. Not sure how Loki will fare, especially if those abuse allegations will be spicy, it could mean having to rearrange that series somewhat as it'll likely land in the middle of all that mess.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I suppose so.

Absolutely, "woke" as a term is neutral. That's why I like "deliberately nontraditional" as it is a CONSCIOUS act to go against routine or accepted (or at least current) norms.

For example, it's nice when someone says "you know, the only black guys in this film are the gang thugs beating up people, can we cast some of the positive or at least neutral characters as black men as well just to balance it out?"

But it's also "this character has ALWAYS been depicted as white, comes from a white mythology, and really there is no reason not to cast as white in the way we are depicting this current project, but fuck it, let's go a different direction for the woke points".

So "woke" can go both ways.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Absolutely, "woke" as a term is neutral. That's why I like "deliberately nontraditional" as it is a CONSCIOUS act to go against routine or accepted (or at least current) norms.

For example, it's nice when someone says "you know, the only black guys in this film are the gang thugs beating up people, can we cast some of the positive or at least neutral characters as black men as well just to balance it out?"

But it's also "this character has ALWAYS been depicted as white, comes from a white mythology, and really there is no reason not to cast as white in the way we are depicting this current project, but fuck it, let's go a different direction for the woke points".

I see where you're going... It's... Logical

Unfortunately, most people who use that term aren't exactly logical with logical reasoning.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

For me, Woke is an overarching term for small groups of people trying to push/force a narrative for sake of politics and self interests. And it almost always involves some kind of oppressed people toppling the norm. Whether those people are truly oppressed or not is debatable. And what they push for is often times beyond reason and scope. Like it's a total "grab as much as you can now before people say enough is enough" Or something close to that.

Kind of like that trans swimmer racking up first place championships not giving a shit at what's going on with the rest of the female athletes. As long as he keeps winning medals is all that matters. Or corporations ramping up the Pride Parade PR in June. Rainbow logo included. The second July 1st rolls around, everything goes back to normal and the entire marketing team doesn't talk about LGTQ people until next year. Like I said above "self interests".

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't know how many comments on Holocaust she made, but the one I've read was historically accurate. Maybe the analogy was a bit too much

ted-cruz-carano-75.jpeg

I recognize that photo. It was taken during the Lviv pogroms in June/July 1941 when the Ukrainian population of that city persecuted and killed between 2000 and 5000 Jewish fellow citizens.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lviv_pogroms_(1941)

Kacho

Don't tell on yourself here dude.
I’ve been busy busy for a minute. What do you mean here? You didn’t answer my questions in my prior post to you, but I suspect you’ll respond to this one. Why should we give JM the benefit of the doubt here specifically? The evidence keeps piling up Mr mckmas8808 mckmas8808 . What’s the deal with that?

Teletraan1

Banned
I’ve been busy busy for a minute. What do you mean here? You didn’t answer my questions in my prior post to you, but I suspect you’ll respond to this one. Why should we give JM the benefit of the doubt here specifically? The evidence keeps piling up Mr mckmas8808 mckmas8808 . What’s the deal with that?
Not answering for that user but it should always be innocent until proven guilty. The "where there is smoke there is fire" mentality has been weaponized. A lot of time it is benign bullshit like oh he hugged me and I felt a certain way about it 4 years later because you see him getting dragged. Chances are he is most likely guilty and I am not dying on some hill but have someone prove it first. Too many people trying to get that anita hill money. (she has a higher net worth that the person she accused)

Kacho

Not answering for that user but it should always be innocent until proven guilty. The "where there is smoke there is fire" mentality has been weaponized. A lot of time it is benign bullshit like oh he hugged me and I felt a certain way about it 4 years later because you see him getting dragged. Chances are he is most likely guilty and I am not dying on some hill but have someone prove it first. Too many people trying to get that anita hill money. (she has a higher net worth that the person she accused)
This isn’t a Johnny Depp situation is my ultimate point, I guess. There’s a time to wait for evidence and a time to read the fucking room. I don’t need to wait for the court to make a judgment on this one. Reg flags have been going off since the beginning and this is because the domestic violence issue hits close to home, hence my enthusiasm in this thread.

Seen too many shitty takes on Twitter regarding this drama and hand waving nonsense pisses me off. The shit I’ve been reading in this thread has been the Diet Coke version of what I’ve been reading on Twitter and it gets me RICK.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I had completely stopped paying attention to this story until one of my buddies mentioned it tonight and was talking about how the guys management and PR agency completely dropped him. Then I looked more into it and saw that more women have come forward with similar stories? Because even at the height of #MeToo you would still see agencies and management stick by the various accused, but despite this guy being such a rising star and then them all dropping him like he is a radioactive hot potato at the same time like that?

Yeah this dude is beyond toast at this point. I hope he made good money as Kang and from Creed. Because if things keep going the direction that they are going he's not going to be seeing a pay day like that again anytime soon

diffusionx

Gold Member
Getting dumped by management/PR representation is a major signal to Hollywood that they think this guy is cooked, and perception/image is everything in that shithole obviously. Remember those were the teams that (somehow) catapulted him onto the A-list overnight and now they want nothing to do with him.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Really? Is there any proof of it? I hate this age of judgement before anything even goes to court

From what I've heard, the lawyer says there's bodycam footage of the cops leading the woman to say he did something to hurt her, which lead to his arrest.

There's also screencaps of her in surveillance footage uninjured from the time they said he injured her.

Last edited:

chromhound

Getting dumped by management/PR representation is a major signal to Hollywood that they think this guy is cooked, and perception/image is everything in that shithole obviously. Remember those were the teams that (somehow) catapulted him onto the A-list overnight and now they want nothing to do with him.
Doesn't mean a thing that he got dumped by his management. They just don't want to be involved in this mess

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It should always be listen and investigate fully. Never blanket believe

That's basically what it's supposed to imply... It's pushback against how people automatically didn't believe women unless a man backed them up. Even now, they sometimes bring up a woman's sexual history in SA trials.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Doesn't mean a thing that he got dumped by his management. They just don't want to be involved in this mess
Its not a definitive thing sure, but it's not nothing. He was a rising superstar before all this. His management and his PR agency had a certified money train with him. They would not drop him like that if there was nothing to what is being said. Like I said before even during the height of #MeToo that didn't happen to many of the accused.

They aren't going to drop him just because they don't want to mess with all this. They got spooked by something.

He should be okay, just keep a low profile for a year or 2 and then come back, even if the allegations are true.

There's a lot of scumbags in Hollywood and many had legendary careers.

And you intentionally deleted what I wrote AFTER that? Oh ok.
Because you made it another paragraph, which implies that it was separate from what the lawyer is claiming? My point was that the lawyer is not a reliable source because she's already proven to be delusional by thinking those domestic violence texts were exonerating evidence.

RAÏSanÏa

Dude is actually VERY good... I've seen him in several projects... He's WAY ABOVE average.
I've only seen him in Lovecraft Country and Loki. LC was an incredible series and thought he carried a lot of it. The cast and script were very good. Should've kept Yahima as a connection to the old world...to go older and deeper into the psyche of man, migration, the cosmos... I digress. They went a bit to focused and lost sight of the much bigger picture. And maybe that focus was a fragment of the cosmic puzzle they had, where they lost sight of the past, and the world, in looking forward. He had good material made with care to spotlight in.

In Loki, he didn't seem well suited for the spotlight he was intended to be. That's partly on the writing, and the performance, and care. There should have been more emphasis on non Kang-centric threats as the onion is peeled to then circle back. Not simply multiverse selves. That can be corrected with a line of ego-lie destroying Sylvie dialogue if they have to replace him and sideline the character. Hi, I'm Miss Minutes... Renslayer.... Season 2!?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've only seen him in Lovecraft Country and Loki. LC was an incredible series and thought he carried a lot of it. The cast and script were very good. Should've kept Yahima as a connection to the old world...to go older and deeper into the psyche of man, migration, the cosmos... I digress. They went a bit to focused and lost sight of the much bigger picture. And maybe that focus was a fragment of the cosmic puzzle they had, where they lost sight of the past, and the world, in looking forward. He had good material made with care to spotlight in.

In Loki, he didn't seem well suited for the spotlight he was intended to be. That's partly on the writing, and the performance, and care. There should have been more emphasis on non Kang-centric threats as the onion is peeled to then circle back. Not simply multiverse selves. That can be corrected with a line of ego-lie destroying Sylvie dialogue if they have to replace him and sideline the character. Hi, I'm Miss Minutes... Renslayer.... Season 2!?

Check out Devotion on Peacock (I think... Might be Paramount+) and Last Black Man in San Francisco ($2.99 on Amazon Prime Video)... Creed 3 as well. Dude drips charisma and you BELIEVE every word he says.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I don't see evidence piling up. As I said earlier, I'm not saying I know he didn't do it. I'm on the "lets wait for the evidence to play out on this one". TMZ has released footage and a timeline that I wasn't aware of at first. And it makes me start to doubt the original story now.

But this whole thing has been a mess. Corporations are sometimes too quick to fire people, when they honestly don't have to. Is Disney drops him, I hope Majors sues the hell out of them. Because he Marvel\Disney drops him, his career is over!

mckmas8808

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So based on the time stamps in the videos and story that TMZ has released we have this.......

- March 24th (afternoon) Jonathan Majors allegedly physically abused his girlfriend and choked her out in a cab.
- March 25th between 1:30am and 3:05am she's in the club drinking and partying. She's also seen hitting her head on the DJ's booth during this time.
- March 25th around 10:00am, Majors wakes up and finds his girlfriend unconscious in the bathroom and decides to call the police.
- March 25th, after Majors calls the police there's allegedly body camera video of the cops coaching her to say he choked her.
- March 25th at 11:48am a screenshot of the cop's bodycam footage shows the victim looking okay

At first, I was under the understanding that he called the cops immediately after the "so-called" incident. But it looks like either the media got that wrong or social media was pushing a false narrative. Plus the cab driver has stated that he will lend his voice to the matter to state that he can contest that Majors didn't hurt her either.

I'm understanding more and more as to why Disney and Marvel haven't moved on this yet. In our current climate, Disney could look like heroes if they ended up backing someone that could have been falsely accused of domestic violence. There are millions of people that are aggressively hating "so-called" cancel culture these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom