• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Hits Over 8 Million Copies Sold

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Hope they actually vastly improve the sequel.

I finished the main game and DLC, but its not satisfying.
Game feels way too repetitive.
SLzrQlr.jpg

jakinov

It deserves it. That said I'm actually surprised it isn't higher by now. I know Horizon Zero Dawn sold over 10 million by the time it was out 2 years. Ghost of Tsushima sold more at launch than Horizon did yet is only at 8 million now with it being about 6 months away from being out 2 years. Idk I just thought it would've hit 10 million faster than Horizon did but it may not.
Horizon had memes and bundles to increase it sales. It reviewed better and made it to more lists. So when people try to self-discover games search engines and gaming sites are going to likely recommend Horizon over it. Also 10 million is a pretty arbritary number how do you even know if it'll even pass that mark.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Guy from previous page mentioned 10 million? So i assume from that number are not far behind
You mean this?
I am assuming TLOU 2 has sold 10 million ?
That's not a statement. As of right now, no one knows how much TLOUII has sold. It's one of the only Sony exclusive that they've gone absolutely silent on after giving an initial sales figures, hence all the curiosity on its performance.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nope! there's still no official update since 4-millions on the first month. Sony has been awfully quiet about TLOU2 while they're bragging other numbers
Well how am i suppose to know im just here to celebrate ghost of tshusima

Ask Neil Druckman or anyone there ok

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
At this rate It’ll easily reach 10M this year when more PS5’s stock reaches stores, and easily 15-20M once it gets released on PC

Horizon had memes and bundles to increase it sales. It reviewed better and made it to more lists. So when people try to self-discover games search engines and gaming sites are going to likely recommend Horizon over it. Also 10 million is a pretty arbritary number how do you even know if it'll even pass that mark.
Um Ghost of Tsushima launched over 3 years later on a VASTLY bigger install base. It sold more at launch then Horizon did. It also got a PS5 version which also gave it a greater chance of outselling Horizon and that version has about the same review score. It won more GOTY awards than Horizon as well. Fact of the matter is sales for Ghost seemed to drop off faster than they did for Horizon which is a bit sad given, like I said there were 10's of millions of more PS4/PS5 owners out there.

where's TLOU2 number? receipt please...
There hasn't been an official update. What we do know is that TLOU2 had around 7 million players back around the end of 2020 and that number has only gone up much more since then. So yeah it's probably over 10 million by now since it was showing up on top sales charts multiple times in 2021.

Last edited:

MrA

The movie coming out should push it another couple of mill also + pc port it’ll def do mid teens by the end of its run.
I love a good samurai movie but can't shake the feeling it'll just be John wick in a mempo
Man I miss proper Japanese samurai movies, gotta go watch throne of blood now

I love a good samurai movie but can't shake the feeling it'll just be John wick in a mempo
Man I miss proper Japanese samurai movies, gotta go watch throne of blood now
As long as its better than 47 Ronin lol

But the director said, he understands theres a stigma against game movies and they are going out of their way to avoid that. So I’m praying its closer to 13 assassins in tone

There hasn't been an official update.

EXACTLY

What we do know is that TLOU2 had around 7 million players back around the end of 2020

just fans guestimate, nothing more

that number has only gone up much more since then.

assumption

So yeah it's probably over 10 million by now since it was showing up on top sales charts multiple times in 2021.

wishful thinking

People will get their TLOU2 numbers they so desperately want once naughty dog start announcing their gmes

i find it laughable that people still think ghost of tsushima might be higher than TLOU2. theres no chance in hell of that. just wait. the confirmation isnt too far off because we will hear from naughty dog this year. no updates means jack shit because sony are pretty random like that.

just fans guestimate, nothing more
This wasn't a guess by fans. That number came from gamestat which was a site that had actual data on that sort of thing. You can downplay it all you want but that was facts. I don't understand you people who just want to try and paint TLOU2 as some kind of failure. Get over it.

Also here is some ice cold facts for you. We know Ghost had sold 5 million copies by November 2020 as Sony confirmed that. We also know TLOU2 had sold more than Ghost in both NA and EU in 2020 as those links show. Ghost wasn't even close to TLOU2 in Europe which is PlayStation's biggest market. And as I said TLOU2 hasn't stopped selling as it was still appearing in sales charts throughout 2021.

Last edited:
i find it laughable that people still think ghost of tsushima might be higher than TLOU2. theres no chance in hell of that. just wait. the confirmation isnt too far off because we will hear from naughty dog this year. no updates means jack shit because sony are pretty random like that.
They are fucking idiots. There is nothing out there anywhere that paints Ghost as selling more. On the other hand we saw yearly sales charts that had TLOU2 above Ghost in multiple regions. It sold way more at launch too. Ghost had no way of catching up to a game like TLOU2 that was still placing in the top 10 of top 20 PS Store charts in 2021. Plus we had sites like gamestat that had actual player numbers and TLOU2's were at like 7 million back in 2020. These people need to get over that TLOU2 was always going to sell more. They are both Sony games ffs idk why people want to put them against each other.

GymWolf

Someone thought Japanese flavor has no broad appeal and would hinder the game's sales... 😏

Guess what? Japan is cool people, who'd have thought? 😎

Lol who the fuck thought that?! People was praying for a samurai\ninja based assassins creed game for years...

Add to that a triple A made by sony and the success was basically a given.

tommib

Incredible numbers. One of the few open world games I adored from beginning to end.

I offered the DC to the father of my godson who recently got a PS5 and yesterday he texted me saying that it’s his favourite game ever and turned him to a full time gamer again. He’s close to the platinum. Warms my heart.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gg!

it is a great game but I completely fell off half way through the second island. I really do need to get back to it. It just started to feel a bit Samey.

Last edited:

Fake

This game deserves every love he earned.

Fucking amazing.

edit:
Lmao about people guessing TLOUS2 sales. Keep your copium alive while Sony don't give us the official numbers.

Last edited:

Fake

Well we know that they're higher than 8 million

We don't know shit. They never give us official sales.

Just guesses from users over nepgaf and Amazon sales lol. Probably the game don't meet up the sales expectations for pay up the develop cost.

Lets move on the conversation. The thread title is GoT, not TLOUS2. I don't even know why people bring this shit up.

Last edited:

Just guesses from users over nepgaf and Amazon sales lol. Probably the game don't meet up the sales expectations for pay up the develop cost.

Lets move on the conversation. The thread title is GoT, not TLOUS2. I don't even know why people bring this shit up.
Actually we do know shit and I posted the official sources up above. If you and others arguing against it ignore those official sales sources that's your own ignorance.

tommib

Come on, Fake. You can be better than this:

6bfs9iH.jpg

“The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”

Last edited:
Come on, Fake. You can be better than this:

6bfs9iH.jpg

“The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”
I honestly think the people here who are arguing Ghost of Tsushima sold more are just purposely ignoring every official source that shows that TLOU2 was well ahead of it. They don't understand basic math.

Ghost of Tsushima had sold 5 million by November 2020. In North America we have the chart showing that TLOU2 sold more at retail + digitally than GoT. In Europe, we have the official sales chart that shows that TLOU2 sold more at retail + digitally than GoT in 2020 by a LOT. Therefore by the end of the 2020, TLOU2 was WAY more than 5 million. Then we can go and look at every monthly chart of say the PlayStation Store in 2021 and quite a few of them TLOU2 is ahead of GoT. In November 2021, Ghost of Tsushima was #16 on PS5 in the US and missing in EU. On PS4 TLOU2 was #16 in the US and #6 in EU. Ghost of Tsushima was missing from the PS4 charts entirely. In October 2021, GoT wasn't in the top 20 on PS4 or PS5 in NA or EU. TLOU2 wasn't in the top 20 in NA but was #11 in Europe.

That's just a few examples. Again, while we don't have the "official number" for TLOU2 we do have plenty of enough sales sources that show it was well ahead of Ghost and TLOU2 hasn't exactly stopped selling. If Ghost of Tsushima managed to sell another 3 million in 2021 then from sales charts it looks like TLOU2 most likely did as well and didn't have its 2020 lead diminish much at all.

assurdum

Banned
There hasn't been an official update. What we do know is that TLOU2 had around 7 million players back around the end of 2020 and that number has only gone up much more since then. So yeah it's probably over 10 million by now since it was showing up on top sales charts multiple times in 2021.
Call me malicious but I found weird ND hasn't announced yet to have reached over 10 million with TLOU2 if really they did time ago.

Last edited:
Call me malicious but I found weird ND hasn't announced yet to have reached over 10 million with TLOU2 if really they did time ago.
You do realize that Sony is in charge of that and they don't exactly have a pattern to when they announce sales numbers for a game right? Most of the time they drop that kind of info when they have something new to say about said game. They aren't Nintendo who have a set schedule for updating sales numbers. For all you know the number could be over say 12 million and they're waiting for it to hit 15 million to announce it. Or they are waiting to give an update when they announce something else regarding the franchise like Factions or the Remake.

assurdum

Banned
I honestly think the people here who are arguing Ghost of Tsushima sold more are just purposely ignoring every official source that shows that TLOU2 was well ahead of it. They don't understand basic math.

Ghost of Tsushima had sold 5 million by November 2020. In North America we have the chart showing that TLOU2 sold more at retail + digitally than GoT. In Europe, we have the official sales chart that shows that TLOU2 sold more at retail + digitally than GoT in 2020 by a LOT. Therefore by the end of the 2020, TLOU2 was WAY more than 5 million. Then we can go and look at every monthly chart of say the PlayStation Store in 2021 and quite a few of them TLOU2 is ahead of GoT. In November 2021, Ghost of Tsushima was #16 on PS5 in the US and missing in EU. On PS4 TLOU2 was #16 in the US and #6 in EU. Ghost of Tsushima was missing from the PS4 charts entirely. In October 2021, GoT wasn't in the top 20 on PS4 or PS5 in NA or EU. TLOU2 wasn't in the top 20 in NA but was #11 in Europe.

That's just a few examples. Again, while we don't have the "official number" for TLOU2 we do have plenty of enough sales sources that show it was well ahead of Ghost and TLOU2 hasn't exactly stopped selling. If Ghost of Tsushima managed to sell another 3 million in 2021 then from sales charts it looks like TLOU2 most likely did as well and didn't have its 2020 lead diminish much at all.
The thing is TLOU2 has received a lot of negative feedback by many people after the release. Stuff like this influence negatively the lifetime sales; they did for RE6.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whiteboard.gif

Average GAF user trying to explain absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence for another game that is unrelated to the topic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom