• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Hits Over 8 Million Copies Sold

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Don't be idiocy.
Sony releases its games to pc when they lose financial value on consoles.
Ghost of Tsushima is still selling great, but huge discounts are not working out.
It will be released on pc in 2024, with the announcement of the sequel.
And by that time it will have sold about 15 million copies.

It was in the Nvidia leak 👍

Congrats to Sucker Punch. I'm sure that this will break 12 million copies within the next 2 years. Another 4 million for a new console that is hard to get at retail currently, is pretty easy by Sony first party standards.

Such an underrated studio.

Erdrick

Well deserved. I enjoyed the game tremendously on the PS4 in the summer of 2020. One of my absolute favourite games in the open world genre. That Kurosawa mode was the icing on the cake for me.

To be fair, and this is coming from a BIG PlayStation guy, I want to know, too. It's funny how the last big Sony releases have all been getting constant updates on how they're selling once or twice a year, yet they are silent when it comes to TLOU2. They weren't for the last installment. I think the obvious answer is it's not selling as well as they want it to. But I guess to some people the logical answer is it's just selling so well that it's hard for Sony to keep up the numbers so they can't possibly give them out.

@ OP

Well deserved. Just started playing this game over the holiday break. Not only is it a good game to just look at on the PS5, but the combat is so satisfying. Once you get the hang of all it's mechanics you start to feel like a badass samurai.

Edit: Whoops, just saw the warning. Won't continue that part of the discussion further.
We haven't gotten regular sales updates for Demon's Souls, Ratchet, Returnal, Sackboy, Dreams or Miles Morales. We've heard something about all of those games maybe 1 time just like TLOU2. You people really need to stop trying to look for reasons to assume TLOU2 flopped. Especially when sales charts have proven for a year and a half now that it hasn't.

yurinka

It was in the Nvidia leak 👍
As I remember according to that leak MS was going to publish like 16 AAA games in 2022, listed games like Scalebound and had at least a couple of games with typos on their names (one of them being a Monster Hunter PSP game which obviously won't be released on PC).

The Nvidia leak may have some real leaks but also a ton of horseshit. Pretty likely most of them being the result of a bored employee filling the list with rumored games or guesses for games or release dates.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Congratulations to Sucker Punch 👊 amazing game. Still got Iki Island to explore but base game was top notch. What a jump from Infamous!

Last edited:

yurinka

To be fair, and this is coming from a BIG PlayStation guy, I want to know, too. It's funny how the last big Sony releases have all been getting constant updates on how they're selling once or twice a year, yet they are silent when it comes to TLOU2. They weren't for the last installment. I think the obvious answer is it's not selling as well as they want it to. But I guess to some people the logical answer is it's just selling so well that it's hard for Sony to keep up the numbers so they can't possibly give them out.
We know TLOU2 was selling more than GoT, so probably is now around 10M or so. There is no pattern to decide if or when they mention the specific sales of a game. In this case, maybe they are waiting for a round number like 10M or maybe to mention it when announcing the TLOU2 DC/PC port/TLOU2 PS5 version/TLOU1 remake/TLOU2 MP game. Pretty likely they will announce some of these things in the following months.

Sony has no need to show you their sales numbers, good or bad numbers. In this case, awesome numbers. They only show numbers to brag from time to time in some press release, powerpoint for investors or social media account.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So deserved, but honestly it should be more. One of my favorite games of the previous generation (I played it in glorious 60fps on PS5 though).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Ok, someone please enlighten me - didn't Days Gone sell about just as much? Because that game is considered a commercial failure in Sony's eyes. And then it furter sold more on PC as well. So what's going on here?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ok, someone please enlighten me - didn't Days Gone sell about just as much? Because that game is considered a commercial failure in Sony's eyes. And then it furter sold more on PC as well. So what's going on here?

In 2019, the year Days Gone launched across the world, Sony Bend tried to pitch a sequel to Sony, according to a new report. Sony didn’t see Days Gone 2 as a viable option because the first game’s development took too long and the critical reception was mixed. According to Bloomberg, this is just one of many games that lost out in favor of blockbuster hits more likely to appeal to gamers and is the reason why Sony’s studios have had a high turnover of staff in recent years, including Bend Studio leadership leaving.

ZywyPL

Banned
I see. But still, a lot of money surely was made, and just like with HFW and GoW, it shouldn't take long to make a sequel, plus they already have the feedback on what to improve as oppose to new IP which again can be a hit or maybe miss.

rolandss

What if ghost turns into a supernatural version like it’s coop dlc?
No thanks this would be the worst direction the game could take. IMO they need to go harder on realism, not less. The game was “grounded” but not realistic. I want a real combat mode where you don’t have to slash enemies a bunch of times to kill them. You should sustain injuries from getting hit. Limbs should be able to be hacked off and nearly off. Make it real!!!!

Top Bottom