• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Hits Over 8 Million Copies Sold

The thing is TLOU2 has received a lot of negative feedback by many people after the release. Stuff like this influence negatively the lifetime sales; they did for RE6.
The thing is we have official sales sources that show that the game has continued to sell well. So what exactly else do you need?

assurdum

Banned
You do realize that Sony is in charge of that and they don't exactly have a pattern to when they announce sales numbers for a game right? Most of the time they drop that kind of info when they have something new to say about said game. They aren't Nintendo who have a set schedule for updating sales numbers. For all you know the number could be over say 12 million and they're waiting for it to hit 15 million to announce it. Or they are waiting to give an update when they announce something else regarding the franchise like Factions or the Remake.
Believe whatever make you feel better. Still I suspect sales are not that good as expected. Not to say they are bad eh but typically when a game sold well the company has the habit to update frequently the sales figure of a successful IP. The way how they handle the figure sales of TLOU2 is a bit suspicious. Again I'm not saying it has sold badly but I suspect not exceptionally how they expected initially.

Last edited:
he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whiteboard.gif

Average GAF user trying to explain absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence for another game that is unrelated to the topic.
Soooo you realize everything I said came from an official source right? We have actual sales charts that 100% show which game sold more yet you people want to act like that's just some Neogaf user making something up. The ignorance here is sad

Believe whatever make you feel better. Still I suspect sales are not that good as expected. Not to say they are bad eh but typically when a game sold well the company has the habit to update frequently the sales figure of a successful IP. The way how they handle the figure sales of TLOU2 is a bit suspicious. Again I'm not saying it has sold badly but I suspect not exceptionally how they expected initially.
Um I'm believing the official sales charts...you are believing some nonsense that exists in your head. Pretty clear which one here is right.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Soooo you realize everything I said came from an official source right? We have actual sales charts that 100% show which game sold more yet you people want to act like that's just some Neogaf user making something up. The ignorance here is sad

he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whiteboard.gif

Average GAF user trying to explain why no official numbers on a topic about official numbers mean nothing by calling you ignorant.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Very interested in this game but I am turned off by death animations, lack of real gore, what looks to be repetitive gameplay, etc.

However I'm crazy about the setting, visuals, and presentation. I'm sure the gameplay is good enough but seems a bit derivative.

Glad this has been a big success though. There should be more games with backdrops like this.

Hope to eventually get the PS5 version.

Kydd BlaZe

Well deserved. Was one of my favorite games to come out in 2020. Iki Island DLC and PS5 update were a blast as well. Happy for Sucker Punch and I hope we see a sequel soon.

Fake

Come on, Fake. You can be better than this:

6bfs9iH.jpg

“The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”

Numbers?

Again, lets, move, on. Read the op title, stick with that conversation.

Valt7786

Im playing it now for the first time on PS5.

They need to go all out with gore on combat in part 2, limbs should be flying. And got damn they gotta give enemies different dying animations. And different standoff scenarios. Sequel could be fucking awesome with a few enhancements.

no surprise it sold well, the only thing like it is Ass Creed and thats not based in Japan. People are hungry for this stuff

The animations are a thing with sucker punch, for some reason. Their games would feel so much better with some physics applied to bodies etc but since Infamous 1 they've never had them and it doesn't help the game in the slightest.
Other than that though, this was probably my game of the generation, fucking loved every minute of it.

tommib

Numbers?

Again, lets, move, on. Read the op title, stick with that conversation.
Yes, let’s move on the conversation but first let me FUD a little bit to ask for “numbers?” despite sales report. How clever! You’re an idiot.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Are you guys done pushing something that has nothing to do with Ghost?Why the need of comparation for the sake of downplaying the game? The game sold 8 millions, isn't that enought reason to be happy?
Or are you guys here just to provoke wars by pushing a game that it has nothing to do with this thread? Theres a "ignore thread" button at the top, no need to do that here.

Fake

Yes, let’s move on the conversation but first let me FUD a little bit to ask for “numbers?” despite sales report. How clever! You’re an idiot.

I feel like you just want to enter on the thread to get offended. Calm down. There is a ignore button if you wish btw.

assurdum

Banned
Um I'm believing the official sales charts...you are believing some nonsense that exists in your head. Pretty clear which one here is right.
What nonsense exactly I have figured out, outside that hurt you? I don't think to suspect ND expected more higher sales for TLOU2 than what they actually got it, it's completely out of the world looking how scarce are their updates about the sales figures of the game.

Last edited:
What nonsense exactly I have figured out, outside that hurt you? I don't think to suspect ND expected more higher sales for TLOU2 than what they actually got it, it's completely out of the world looking how scarce are their updates about the sales figures of the game.
TLOU2 was the fastest selling PlayStation game ever. By the end of 2020 it was also the third best selling Sony game in US history only behind Spider-Man and God of War. It was a top 10 seller for the entire year in 2020 in both the US and Europe. Throughout 2021 it was a top 20 and top 10 selling game on the PlayStation Store Monthly charts quite a few times. They also confirmed that the game was profitable on day 1. Idk what world you come from but none of that is a disappointment or a letdown to anyone.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Microsoft updated Forza Horizon player counts almost every other day.

They barely said anything about Halo Infinite numbers.

Does this mean Halo Infinite wasn't a success?

If they eventually release The Last of Us Part II numbers, does that mean it's a success and that they are happy with the sales? People can't have it both ways.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Microsoft updated Forza Horizon player counts almost every other day.

They barely said anything about Halo Infinite numbers.

Does this mean Halo Infinite wasn't a success?

If they eventually release The Last of Us Part II numbers, does that mean it's a success and that they are happy with the sales? People can't have it both ways.

Multiplayer wise... potentially... like did you miss all the reports about the 90%+ drops on steam or something? We don't know, and Microsoft don't want to tell anyone how well... or not well Halo Infinite is currently doing as a free 2 play title, we know it makes alot of money from whales (also from steam stats) but nothing on player population outside of steam which they can't hide, which shows a dramatic drop... wait are you suggesting that Microsoft don't want to release numbers on Halo because its doing poorly on player retention? That's an intresting thought.

But what does this F2P game have something to do with official numbers that Ghost of Tsushima sold?

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Can we finally just give GOT its credit without bringing up TLOU2? I have no idea why they keep getting compared anyway. Let it stand on its own merits which it is more than capable of.

They keep bringing them up and comparing because those games were put against each other by the youtube grifter chuds. They constantly held up GoT as the shining beacon while downplaying TloU2s success and quality as a game.

NahaNago

PS5 supply doesn't help.. There are people holding out to play it on next gen.

But over 8M in 18 months is impressive. It should hit 10M this year.
Yeah, I'm one of those who was waiting for a ps5 to play this game.

I'm also in the camp that thought this would have hit 10 million by now.

rolandss

Best game of 2020 and I think my favourite PS4 game… between that and red dead probably. Also the expansion was my favourite ‘game’ of 2021!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ghost of Tsushima is legit historic originality and I think it will be apart of this generation's and last's golden years. I’m not following the hype behind battle royale, it takes two etc. games, wait a second Ghost of Tsushima is just remarkable but Assassins Creed came up with the historic 3rd person genre.

Toots

Gold Member
tenor.gif

Can't we all just get along and agree that, regardless of its numbers or those of its annoying holier-than-thou cousin, it's cool seeing a game that made my peepee real hard sell that well?

leo-j

I am just happy Sony’s new IP is doing so well. Horizon sold gang busters and this is selling gang busters. Their Spider-Man take over ended up creating the best spidey game and best selling Sony first party game. Bodes well for new IP and risks in the future.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Multiplayer wise... potentially... like did you miss all the reports about the 90%+ drops on steam or something? We don't know, and Microsoft don't want to tell anyone how well... or not well Halo Infinite is currently doing as a free 2 play title, we know it makes alot of money from whales (also from steam stats) but nothing on player population outside of steam which they can't hide, which shows a dramatic drop...
Both Forza and Halo dropped numbers on steam. Just because it dropped numbers, that doesn't change the fact that they could report the total number of people who have played Halo Infinite.

wait are you suggesting that Microsoft don't want to release numbers on Halo because its doing poorly on player retention? That's an intresting thought.

But what does this F2P game have something to do with official numbers that Ghost of Tsushima sold?

Me?

I'm using the logic you guys are using. So just because they haven't reported or updated the numbers, that means (based on your logic) that it's doing poorly or they're not happy with the numbers.

Update: I won't discuss it any futher. People need to wait until the numbers come out and stop jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

jakinov

Um Ghost of Tsushima launched over 3 years later on a VASTLY bigger install base. It sold more at launch then Horizon did. It also got a PS5 version which also gave it a greater chance of outselling Horizon and that version has about the same review score. It won more GOTY awards than Horizon as well. Fact of the matter is sales for Ghost seemed to drop off faster than they did for Horizon which is a bit sad given, like I said there were 10's of millions of more PS4/PS5 owners out there.
Which means that's just more people who bought a PS4 to play Fifa or Fornite. You can't assume there'd be 10 million people eagerly interested int he game because 100 million people have a PS4. GOTY awards don't mean shit because casuals aren't likely to google "GAME OF THE YEAR PS4 games" they are more likely to google "Best PS4 game" which search engines are going to start recommedning you based on relevance. 10 million is still an arbritary number not based on peoples preferences or tastes, you are just basing it on install base. PS3 had a huge install base too but most if it's exclusives sold well for the time but nearly as good as today and they reviewed really well and got GOTY. The only one that really broke out was The Last of US which had memes and a lot of people hyping up the story over a long period of time. Casual hardcores who don't frequent gaming sites daily like you and I won't simply buy a game because it wins GOTY and reviews well they buy shit that trends is hyped up. Horizon content would spread on Reddit, Twitter and Facebook at least every week showing off how cool the game was and making people aware of it's existence. Ghotsts had it too but it fizzled.

Just like for movies and other things casual hardcore hops on thing over trends/hype. Look at The Witcher 3 and how many people bought that over all those memes and consider how many people never even beat that game i.e. people who bought and thought they'd enjoy the game. CDPR even said themselves the game had a super low completetion rate based on their own metrics. And look how despite us people who frequent gaming sites knowing the cyberpunk games are super glitchy a shit ton of people still bought it. Because they don't electively read gaming news it gets pushed to them sometimes and all they can see is either people posting clips (good or bad) of them playing and be like wow this game is popular I want to be a part of this and they buy it.

And again Horizon being heavily buindled puts Ghots at a disadvantage because game companies often count those as game sales too.

Dolodolo

PC release will push them past 10m
Don't be idiocy.
Sony releases its games to pc when they lose financial value on consoles.
Ghost of Tsushima is still selling great, but huge discounts are not working out.
It will be released on pc in 2024, with the announcement of the sequel.
And by that time it will have sold about 15 million copies.

yurinka

This is crazy Sony let their teams ditch their old franchises & try new genres & it paid off for just about every team

Who would have thought a game like this would end up bigger than Sly Cooper or that Uncharted & The Last Of Us would be bigger than Crash Bandicoot & Jak & Daxter , Horizon bigger than Killzone . Can't say that anyone was shocked about Spiderman being bigger than Ratchet & Resistance because it's freaking Spiderman.
Yep, happened with almost all their teams.

GoT is the most successful Sucker Punch game ever, Horizon is the most successful Guerrilla game ever, Spider-Man is the most successful Insomniac game ever, GoW 2018 reboot is the most successful SSM game ever, Days Gone was also the most successful Bend Studio game ever, Detroit the most successful Quantic Dream ever, Returnal is the most successful Housemarque game ever and Death Stranding is on track to become the best selling Kojima game ever.

I think this generation we'll see this from Firesprite (their top staff are mostly former SCE Liverpool, Evolution Studios and Bizarre Creations people), Pixel Opus (they are growing with each game and now are partnering with Sony Pictures Animations for a game) and Team Asobi (previously known as Japan Studio), and who knows if Bluepoint too if their move to create original content isn't only dlcs or sequels.

And who knows if with Cory's new IP at SSM's, but seems very difficult because GoW is too big. Same goes with Polyphony, their boss said they are interesting on doing something else other than Gran Turismo, but some GT games had insane sales that is going to be very hard to beat.

We don't know Dreams' results, I assume didn't become their most successful game because they would have mentioned it, but I see potential growth with possible PSVR2 and PC ports. Same goes with London Studio, they are supposed to be working on a big AAA game so it may become their best selling game up to date too.

Last edited:
Yep. GoT is the most successful Sucker Punch game ever, Horizon is the most successful Guerrilla game ever, Spider-Man is the most successful Insomniac game ever, GoW 2018 reboot is the most successful SSM game ever, Days Gone was also the most successful Bend Studio game ever, Detroit the most successful Quantic Dream ever, Returnal is the most successful Housemarque game ever and Death Stranding is on track to become the best selling Kojima game ever.

I think this generation we'll see this from Firesprite (their top staff are mostly former SCE Liverpool, Evolution Studios and Bizarre Creations people), Pixel Opus (they are growing with each game and now are partnering with Sony Pictures Animations for a game) and Team Asobi (previously known as Japan Studio), and who knows if Bluepoint too if their move to create original content isn't only dlcs or sequels. And who knows if with Cory's new IP at SSM's, but seems very difficult because GoW is too big.

This is why i like to see sony make deals with or acquire small teams like lucid, ember lab, arrowhead etc. they have the potential to put out games on the level of their big studios

Why i also think sony never needs to buy a big publisher, they got more than enough talent and IP on their own

Last edited:

yurinka

This is why i like to see sony make deals with or acquire small teams like lucid, ember lab, arrowhead etc. they have the potential to put out games on the level of their big studios

Why i also think sony never needs to buy a big publisher, they got more than enough talent and IP on their own
Yes, they have a lot of talent and successful IPs, many of them sleeping because they don't have enough manpower to work in all of them.

So it's a good move on Jimbo's side to grow all these studios a lot and to acquire support and port teams, to make sure they have multiple teams inside each studio, so they could develop multiple games at the same time, both sequels and new IPs, with someone else handling ports/remasters/remakes.

I think it would be a good idea to acquire Lucid and integrate it into Firesprite as they did with Fabrik. Because Lucid has some former staff from SCE Liverpool, Evolution and specially Bizarre Creations. And Firesprite and Fabrik also had many former people from these teams.

I see potential for Ember Lab and Arrowhead acquisitions, they can grow and with Sony's help could improve a lot. But I think on Ember Lab's case first they'd need to make a 2nd successful game, probably as a 2nd party game as a test before buying them. Something that seems they are doing from the previous creators of Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed, CoD BO and Destiny.

Last edited:
Like clockwork.
To be fair, and this is coming from a BIG PlayStation guy, I want to know, too. It's funny how the last big Sony releases have all been getting constant updates on how they're selling once or twice a year, yet they are silent when it comes to TLOU2. They weren't for the last installment. I think the obvious answer is it's not selling as well as they want it to. But I guess to some people the logical answer is it's just selling so well that it's hard for Sony to keep up the numbers so they can't possibly give them out.

@ OP

Well deserved. Just started playing this game over the holiday break. Not only is it a good game to just look at on the PS5, but the combat is so satisfying. Once you get the hang of all it's mechanics you start to feel like a badass samurai.

Edit: Whoops, just saw the warning. Won't continue that part of the discussion further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom