• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are way overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not just overrated but “way overrated”

I really loathe these overrated/underrated posts. Just because you didn’t care for something that the overwhelming majority did doesn’t make the thing overrated. Same goes with something you love but most do not…doesn’t make it underrated. They’re rated exactly as they should be as judged by the masses.
No, you're just being salty that someone took a big steaming dump on a game you thought was brilliant or whatever. Saying that something is overrated or underrated absolutely has merit and I can explain why on this example.

Now, here's the thing: it's all too easy to dupe someone into thinking something is awesome by waving a shiny object in front of their face. But just because it looks like a million bucks and stands tall on the impeccably polished production values, with a killer soundtrack and talented cast of actors to carry the story, doesn't mean that there's a top-tier game hiding there under the surface. Those are just parlor tricks designed to satisfy the indifferent masses who care little about the more nuanced details of the gameplay. The truth is, beneath all the glitz and glamor, there's very little actual substance to the new God of War games. It's a stunning illusion that only becomes apparent when you examine it more closely and scrutinize it with a critical eye.

This is the same bag of tricks that propelled all those shitty Marvel movies to stratospheric success. Most audiences simply don't demand a transcendent experience; they're content with something that's merely adequate and provides a momentary shot of dopamine that will wear off as soon as they shut off the console and go have a brunch with their family or whatever. And that's exactly what these new God of War games are: adequate. There's nothing about them that would have you keep coming back for more, and if this thread is anything to go by, it sounds like most people from around here feel the same. Hell, I would even bet that many people who defend these games rarely go back to play them again - if ever.

Last edited:
I realize that it's a spicy thread premise but I hope that at least it grabbed your attention.

Now, before I move on, let me be clear - those are perfectly fine games. I don't really have any major complaints about them beyond the fact that I'm just not into them. If you're into the sort of experience that they're offering, then I'm sure you're gonna have a great time.

My main problem with these games is that they're way too focused on everything except what used to make this series great.

They're long, they take forever to get anywhere, the combat is a slog, the story is pretentious, and watching the behind-the-scenes footage makes the creators of the game seem way too preoccupied with the notion that they're creating some form of high-brow art. But personally, the story being told in this game resonated with me about as much as a loud fart resonates inside of my toilet bowl.

You know what I used to love about God of War? The fact that as soon as I put the disc into my console, it greeted me with a title screen that immediately got my blood pumping:

It's the fact that as soon as you pressed the Start button, a really pissed off Kratos made sure to let you know that you're in for a mean ride, and you don't wanna be there once he starts passing tickets around. Those classic games didn't fuck around. They told great, heroic tales too, but they never spent more time dishing out the plot than it was necessary and you spent most of the time curb stomping monsters and wearing their entrails like a necklace. It was a pure, unapologetic, testosterone-fueled power fantasy, and its main concern was to make sure that you have a raging power-boner the entire time while playing.

And what do we have in those new games? A 45-hour journey following an elderly man and his soy boy son as they endlessly walk through forgettable forests and mountains and engage in small-scale battles with a limited number of monster types.

Now, to be fair, there are some epic moments here and there. However, the overall emphasis on emotional storytelling over balls-to-the-wall action and gory combat felt severely underwhelming for me. While the story may be engaging for those who appreciate it, there isn't much replay value after completing it once. I struggled to finish a second playthrough of the 2018 game in preparation for Ragnarok, and by the time I got to Ragnarok, I was utterly exhausted with the gameplay style and simply pushed through it to reach the end. I doubt I will ever revisit this game when I could instead replay God of War 2, which remains a high point in the series for me.

So yeah, happy for everyone involved in the making of that game, glad that Chris Judge had his moment on stage, but I don't really care about those games.

No

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, you're just being salty that someone took a big steaming dump on a game you thought was brilliant or whatever. Saying that something is overrated or underrated absolutely has merit and I can explain why on this example.

Now, here's the thing: it's all too easy to dupe someone into thinking something is awesome by waving a shiny object in front of their face. But just because it looks like a million bucks and stands tall on the impeccably polished production values, with a killer soundtrack and talented cast of actors to carry the story, doesn't mean that there's a top-tier game hiding there under the surface. Those are just parlor tricks designed to satisfy the indifferent masses who care little about the more nuanced details of the gameplay. The truth is, beneath all the glitz and glamor, there's very little actual substance to the new God of War games. It's a stunning illusion that only becomes apparent when you examine it more closely and scrutinize it with a critical eye.

This is the same bag of tricks that propelled all those shitty Marvel movies to stratospheric success. Most audiences simply don't demand a transcendent experience; they're content with something that's merely adequate and provides a momentary shot of dopamine that will wear off as soon as they shut off the console and go have a brunch with their family or whatever. And that's exactly what these new God of War games are: adequate. There's nothing about them that would have you keep coming back for more, and if this thread is anything to go by, it sounds like most people from around here feel the same. Hell, I would even bet that many people who defend these games rarely go back to play them again - if ever.

Id love to see the trophy lists of all the people dropping empathy emojis and making comments. Not that they would share their honest opinions, I literally put the game down until like February or March because I was that bored with it. I had to wait for the staleness to wear off then I forced myself through it and the loki sections, were absolutely terrible.

Once you are fully upgraded and you are playing as Kratos and doing challenges, there is absolutely solid fun gameplay there, but there is also a lot of shite. The berserkers for the most part or terrible. Don't get me started on the poison one that is a sheer example of how the combat just falls apart with multiple enemies. That fight is embarrassingly bad.

I enjoyed the Valk fight and some of the berserker fights but overall, the constant noise from your team mates...and well the flaws are multiple.

I think all the empathy tab guys and others should show their trophy lists, test the theory...how many of them have completed it, how much time did they spend? were they really invested in the game? It would be interesting to see.

People saying the combat is better have no idea what they’re talking about.

Gow Ascension was peak Gow combat from a design perspective. Trials of archimedes were wicked!
Lol no. The combat in the Norse saga is far better than anything the games did previously by a large margin. It just needed more of it.

Freeman76

Playing Ragnarok atm and to me its great, but at the same time annoying. The constant switching of characters gets on my tits, the menu/upgrade system is a bit of a mess, and there is too much downtime. Other than that though, I love it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Playing Ragnarok atm and to me its great, but at the same time annoying. The constant switching of characters gets on my tits, the menu/upgrade system is a bit of a mess, and there is too much downtime. Other than that though, I love it.
I don't want to contest your opinion or anything but what you're saying kinda sounds like a symptom of what I described in my previous post. It's like this strange dissonance that you feel when you play a game that overall looks like something that should be great, but then there are all these serious problems that you have with it, which make it sound like it's not that great after all.

Honestly, a great game is one that, if it gets name-dropped, I will immediately be like "oh fuck yeah man, that's my jam, I wanna play this right now." I will never be ambivalent about whether or not God of War 2 is great because that game kicks a titan-sized ass and I will always gladly pick up a controller to play it.

Last edited:

Vick

A random encounter with 4 random enemies in ragnarock is mechanically better and more challenging than 95% of those setpieces and boss battles tho.

As an action GAME, ragnarock piss on gow3 from such a great height is not even funny.

I know people love giant boss battles but those battles are UTTER SHIT compared to the fights against strong humanoids in gow2018 and ragnarock, they are all spectacle and zero substance.
Don't even bother, this place feels unredeemable lately.

Freeman76

I don't want to contest your opinion or anything but what you're saying kinda sounds like a symptom of what I described in my previous post. It's like this strange dissonance that you feel when you play a game that overall looks like something that should be great, but then there are all these serious problems that you have with it, which make it sound like it's not that great after all.

Honestly, a great game is one that, if it gets name-dropped, I will immediately be like "oh fuck yeah man, that's my jam, I wanna play this right now." I will never be ambivalent about whether or not God of War 2 is great because that game kicks a titan-sized ass and I will always gladly pick up a controller to play it.

Its a wierd game for sure. I can swing from thinking 'this is one of the best games ive played in ages' to 'fucks sake not more bullshit' in a matter of minutes. It definitely isnt, overall, a classic game but it does have some fucking great aspects to it

Guilty_AI

Now, here's the thing: it's all too easy to dupe someone into thinking something is awesome by waving a shiny object in front of their face. But just because it looks like a million bucks and stands tall on the impeccably polished production values, with a killer soundtrack and talented cast of actors to carry the story,
I honestly thought 18 had rather forgettable pieces. I remember nothing besides the main leitmotif and the music that plays when they're burning the wife's body.

Schmendrick

The last 2 GoW games were fantastic experiences..buuut from a purely fun/minute standpoint, nothing comes close to GoW2 and 3 for me.

Guilty_AI

Nah, 2018 had a good soundtrack. Bear McCreary is an awesome composer.
Maybe it works as background music, but as i said i honestly can't remember any particular piece aside from the two mentioned. I remember even a bunch of Elden Ring pieces despite how incredibly subtle most of them tend to be.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Maybe it works as background music, but as i said i honestly can't remember any particular piece aside from the two mentioned. I remember even a bunch of Elden Ring pieces despite how incredibly subtle most of them tend to be.
Probably because they play such an important role in building the soundscape for the game. Music in Elden Ring is usually the main thing that you'll be hearing and focusing on while exploring the world and it's amazing at building the atmosphere.

God of War's music is mostly absent during exploration, and it's what you spend the vast majority of the game on. And when it finally picks up then it's usually when you get into pitched battles and by then it kinda gets drowned out by the cacophony of combat noises (which is yet another trend in many modern games that I just hate). But I listened to the soundtrack album on its own many times and it's good shit. There are some sparse moments throughout the game when a more moody or introspective music is used during slower cinematic moments and that's where it shines the brightest.

Hot5pur

That video of how the new GoW ruined the series is very perceptive.
I actually forgot how dull some parts of GoW 2018 were. It's probably a decent third person game but it's not a GoW game, which is the biggest problem with it.
I can't imagine going back to replay it, but I've replayed the originals several times.
Was also disappointed that GoWR improved the combat and made it good, but then also doubled down on the crappy walking simulator portions or mundane activities. At first I was thinking getting a PS5 to play the exclusives faster like GoWR, then I figured I'd wait for the eventual PC release, now I'm in the wait for $20 or not play at all, mostly because of how bad and tedious these Atreus sections are. Why put so much emphasis on arguably the worst character in the game?
I don't know, this thread makes me less optimistic about enjoying GoWR when/if I eventually get around to it.

That video of how the new GoW ruined the series is very perceptive.
I actually forgot how dull some parts of GoW 2018 were. It's probably a decent third person game but it's not a GoW game, which is the biggest problem with it.
I can't imagine going back to replay it, but I've replayed the originals several times.
Was also disappointed that GoWR improved the combat and made it good, but then also doubled down on the crappy walking simulator portions or mundane activities. At first I was thinking getting a PS5 to play the exclusives faster like GoWR, then I figured I'd wait for the eventual PC release, now I'm in the wait for $20 or not play at all, mostly because of how bad and tedious these Atreus sections are. Why put so much emphasis on arguably the worst character in the game?
I don't know, this thread makes me less optimistic about enjoying GoWR when/if I eventually get around to it.

You can easily tell. GoW 2018 was the talk of town for a huge amount of time. Ragnarok tho? I swear, no one gives a shit about it. They really fucked up even if its a good game.

GHG

Id love to see the trophy lists of all the people dropping empathy emojis and making comments.

Same goes for all the people claiming it's so terrible, egging on bad takes and even giving gold to the OP to try and make this thread highlighted in a dire time of need.

It's basically amounting to "you see those games that are so successful and so many people love - please don't like them".

Meanwhile those same people are going to sit there with a straight face and signal boost crappy/derivative/generic upcoming GAAS co-op games. It's sad.

Guilty_AI

You can easily tell. GoW 2018 was the talk of town for a huge amount of time. Ragnarok tho? I swear, no one gives a shit about it. They really fucked up even if its a good game.
You also have to take into consideration the context. GOW18 released not long after the Battlefront 2 fiasco, it was also a time players noticed singleplayer releases were slowing down in frequency and that there was a lot of push towards MP and GAAS. At the time kept propping the game up as some "Fuck EA!" "Screw multiplayer! ""Singleplayer isn't dead!" symbol, and i think thats most of what made the game gain such recognition in the first place.

Hot5pur

GoW had a lot of things going for it, like amazing graphics, high production values, highly cinematic. There was a lot of novelty there, and it was taking the series in a different direction.
I do kinda agree with the author of that video, maybe Santa Monica is too busy smelling their own farts on this one, thinking of themselves as some master writers/storytellers, and they let their artistic ambitions overtake the main goal of their job: make a fun game. If you want to be master storytellers, you're in the wrong industry, what they need to be doing is focusing on gameplay, and not trying to make games into movies because they get some sort of free pass as "it's really supposed to be a video game, but isn't it amazing that it's actually like a movie??!?". No, it's supposed to be a video game first.
Just like with Ninja Gaiden, unless there is some miracle, we'll likely not see GoW return to form, perhaps what they'll do is they keep the good bits of gameplay they've developed and strip out all the walking simulator stuff. I can't see it happening though, it seems Sony and its studios have an easy time recycling the same game (eg. Horizon) by putting in nicer visuals and more cinematic moments, and certain people will just eat it up. I heard similar criticisms that Horizon FB gets mundane rather quickly, but I still plan to check things out for myself.

Vick

I think you might need to accept the notion you simply think too highly of yourself.
The fact you're fishing with dynamite in a place like this shouldn't inebriate you into thinking your (flawed) opinion holds more value than it actually does, which is objectively nothing.

I'm not here personally to defend a game like Ragnarok, which left me nothing aside from a few cool boss battles and good moments, but the way you speak of GoW 2018, or general gameplay of this rebooted series in this pretentious post is only making apparent for many what kind of "gamer" you really are.. which is the underserving of greatness kind.

The "very little substance" you proclaim is nothing more than a mirror of yourself as player and level of skills you possess, as, in fact, those systems are the most pure definition of depth as they 100% suit every playstyle, from the regular, boring average players composing the entirety of whatever Youtube walkthrough many of you saw, to talented players:

To superhuman players:

Because these games objectively feature the best gameplay/combat systems ever developed by a western studio by a country mile, which never fail to make these kind of takes like yours transparent and clear as river water when they admit missing literal QTE's and button mashing systems deep as a paper sheet in cinematic, fixed-camera games 1/10th of the lenght, depth and freedom in every aspect offered by those new iterations.. who turned a dead franchise into the #1 system seller of its maker.

"Way overrated" might sound catchy and even make you feel you're bringing justice to the ether when it in fact means absolutely nothing. Overrated by who? The utter imbeciles who got somehow hypnotized by graphics average by even 2018 standards like you implied?
Every reviewer/critics in general including and especially those who went on record with things like these?

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

Or actually, again, regular gamers which according to your presented logic are all tragically braindead?

FAkcUR4X0AI1_WV.jpg:large

Perhaps they are guilty of being biased, which is an element certainly worthy of being considered as beautifully portrayed by all these beautiful "feeding frenzy Threads" always somehow reserved for certain games only.

But what would then be the explanation for this?

W17hQ2U.png

Plot thickens.. the game is actually way overrated by both critics and gamers alike, of every spectrum and from the entire planet, even the kind historically prone to hate a certain brand and its products.

The only reasonable conclusion here is the objective opinion on this piece of work is held by Drizzlehell Drizzlehell and those who agree with him, which is adequate and nothing more. Afterall only an adequate game would put in place systems allowing you to pull off things making people believe you hacked the software, as people in the GBG video commented:

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

@ GodsBattle Yeah I’ve tried too, it’s difficult.

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

Objectively, adequate is the only word coming to someone's mind after either playing the game the way it's supposed to be played, or witnessing how the whole thing came to be, piece by piece and one stroke of genius after the other:

Thank you then for being here enlightening the ungifted, unthinking and tasteless masses Drizzlehell Drizzlehell .

Last edited:

GHG

GOW 2018 was actually fresh and new at the time, especially for the series. I also don't think many people expected it to turn out to be as great as it was. Ragnorak is a continuation of that, there's not that much that can be said about the first game in the reboot series that doesn't also apply to Ragnorak. The bar was high and it was met, no surprises either way.

GOW 2018 was actually fresh and new at the time, especially for the series. I also don't think many people expected it to turn out to be as great as it was. Ragnorak is a continuation of that, there's not that much that can be said about the first game in the reboot series that doesn't also apply to Ragnorak. The bar was high and it was met, no surprises either way.

They could've raised the bar even higher, but they played it safe.

Reactions: GHG

Cashon

Banned
Same goes for all the people claiming it's so terrible, egging on bad takes and even giving gold to the OP to try and make this thread highlighted in a dire time of need.

It's basically amounting to "you see those games that are so successful and so many people love - please don't like them".

Meanwhile those same people are going to sit there with a straight face and signal boost crappy/derivative/generic upcoming GAAS co-op games. It's sad.
I pretty much strictly play single-player games, and hate the general trend of Games-As-A-Service (partially because I feel like it ruined the Forza Horizon series and partially because I don't like how it's creeping into single-player games); I still think God of War 2018 is overrated. I agree with the person earlier who said (paraphrasing) that it seems like people just get distracted by the production values and can't see how basic the gameplay is.

Guilty_AI

I think you might need to accept the notion you simply think too highly of yourself.
The fact you're fishing with dynamite in a place like this shouldn't inebriate you into thinking your (flawed) opinion holds more value than it actually does, which is objectively nothing.

I'm not here personally to defend a game like Ragnarok, which left me nothing aside from a few cool boss battles and good moments, but the way you speak of GoW 2018, or general gameplay of this rebooted series in this pretentious post is only making apparent for many what kind of "gamer" you really are.. which is the underserving of greatness kind.

The "very little substance" you proclaim is nothing more than a mirror of yourself as player and level of skills you possess, as, in fact, those systems are the most pure definition of depth as they 100% suit every playstyle, from the regular, boring average players composing the entirety of whatever Youtube walkthrough many of you saw, to talented players:

To superhuman players:

Because these games objectively feature the best gameplay/combat systems ever developed by a western studio by a country mile, which never fail to make these kind of takes like yours transparent and clear as river water when they admit missing literal QTE's and button mashing systems deep as a paper sheet in cinematic, fixed-camera games 1/10th of the lenght, depth and freedom in every aspect offered by those new iterations.. who turned a dead franchise into the #1 system seller of its maker.

"Way overrated" might sound catchy and even make you feel you're bringing justice to the ether when it in fact means absolutely nothing. Overrated by who? The utter imbeciles who got somehow hypnotized by graphics average by even 2018 standards like you implied?
Every reviewer/critics in general including and especially those who went on record with things like these?

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

Or actually, again, regular gamers which according to your presented logic are all tragically braindead?

Perhaps they are guilty of being biased, which is an element certainly worthy of being considered as beautifully portrayed by all these beautiful "feeding frenzy Threads" always somehow reserved for certain games only.

W17hQ2U.png

Plot thickens.. the game is actually way overrated by both critics and gamers alike, of every spectrum and from the entire planet, even the kind historically prone to hate a certain brand and its products.

The only reasonable conclusion here is the objective opinion on this piece of work is held by Drizzlehell Drizzlehell and those who agree with him, which is adequate and nothing more. Afterall only an adequate game would put in place systems allowing you to pull off things that make people believe you hacked the game, as people in the GBG video commented:

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

Objectively, adequate is the only word coming to someone's mind after either playing the game the way it's supposed to be played, or witnessing how the whole thing came to be, piece by piece and one stroke of genius after the other:

GHG

To superhuman players:

- SkillUp

W17hQ2U.png

The only reasonable conclusion here is the objective opinion on this piece of work is held by Drizzlehell Drizzlehell and those who agree with him, which is adequate and nothing more. Afterall only an adequate game would put in place systems allowing you to pull off things that make people believe you hacked the game, as people in the GBG video commented:

Ian Cassady

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle

Thanos
@ GodsBattle

Thank you for being here enlightening the ungifted, unthinking and tasteless masses Drizzlehell Drizzlehell .

The end. Nothing more can be said. I'm sorry to say it but I'll say it (most recently this also applied to Prey 2017, especially those who said it was "boring") - If you don't like it then it's a you problem and unfortunately you're in the minority so no amount of crying will change anything.

I pretty much strictly play single-player games, and hate the general trend of Games-As-A-Service (partially because I feel like it ruined the Forza Horizon series and partially because I don't like how it's creeping into single-player games); I still think God of War 2018 is overrated. I agree with the person earlier who said (paraphrasing) that it seems like people just get distracted by the production values and can't see how basic the gameplay is.

Yes, lets ignore the combat depth that exists in these games and pretend people only play them for the "production values". What a fantastic distraction, we were all duped.

They could've raised the bar even higher, but they played it safe.

I also would have liked them to raise the bar but lets be honest it would have been a tough one to raise and we would likely still be waiting for it. It's bizarre to me that these are the games that people want to have strong opinions about when they are objectively some of the best entertainment the industry has to offer, especially in recent times. In sporting terms it's like constantly telling Messi or Ronaldo they need to do better instead of the thousands of players that are clearly inferior to them.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Heres how the new god war went: cutscene time!, combat encounter time! puzzle time! Interaction time! Rinse repeat
Most games could be reduced to this

I like how you think our Gaf bubble is representative of most gamers and also how you think that your opinion is factual

So the many reviewers and gamers got it wrong but you got it right huh... 🤦‍♂️

Cashon

Banned
Yes, lets ignore the combat depth that exists in these games and pretend people only play them for the "production values".
The game could have the deepest combat in any game ever and it wouldn't change the fact that you probably spend most of the actual play time pushing up on the joystick, rather than fighting. Nor would it change the fact that you don't actually have to use any of the potential depth to play it.
I would be willing to bet you $5, were it possible to prove/disprove, that the vast majority of people who played this game didn't explore the depth of combat. Including the reviewers.
Additionally, any depth that this game has in its combat is mitigated by the choice of camera placement, which clearly wasn't implemented with combat in mind, but rather cinematic presentation.

GHG

The old god of war games can also be reduced to that.

Combat, open chest, platforming section, puzzle, more combat, open chest, boss battle.

The game could have the deepest combat in any game ever and it wouldn't change the fact that you probably spend most of the actual play time pushing up on the joystick, rather than fighting. Nor would it change the fact that you don't actually have to use any of the potential depth to play it.
I would be willing to bet you $5, were it possible to prove/disprove, that the vast majority of people who played this game didn't explore the depth of combat. Including the reviewers.
Additionally, any depth that this game has in its combat is mitigated by the choice of camera placement, which clearly wasn't implemented with combat in mind, but rather cinematic presentation.

Pushing up on the joystick? You mean like literally every other game out there? How does one expect to traverse between areas and activities in an action/adventure game if not for pressing forward? How does one move from area to area in Elden Ring?

Also just $5? Such confidence my friend. I love how it's gone from "it's basic" to "most people didn't explore the depth of combat" (yeh, like pretty much every game out there, most people who play games are casual and play on lower difficulties, shock). If you chose not to explore the combat mechanics/options available to you and/or to play on a lower difficulty then that's on you. But at least we can agree it's not basic, so got there in the end.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

What are your thoughts on ragnarok? What would you give it out of 10? Did you platinum it etc? Just interested where your thoughts are on it.

Luigi Mario Luigi Mario what about you? And who's alt are you? Lol

Cashon

Banned
The old god of war games can also be reduced to that.

Combat, open chest, platforming section, puzzle, more combat, open chest, boss battle.

Pushing up on the joystick? You mean like literally every other game out there? How does one expect to traverse between areas and activities in an action/adventure game if not for pressing forward? How does one move from area to area in Elden Ring?

Also just $5? Such confidence my friend. I love how it's gone from "it's basic" to "most people didn't explore the depth of combat" (yeh, like pretty much every game out there, most people who play games are casual and play on lower difficulties, shock). If you chose not to explore the combat mechanics/options available to you and/or to play on a lower difficulty then that's on you. But at least we can agree it's not basic, so got there in the end.
Your argument was that it's so beloved by so many not because of the production values, but because of the depth of combat.

My response was to indicate that you are likely wrong. The potential depth of a game has no bearing on why people like it if said people didn't explore it. So you have to ask *why* do people like it? What aspects of it did people actually engage with?

The game is basic because of how simple the whole, overall package is. You spend the first 15 minutes of the game doing nothing but walking/talking. The platforming is simply looking for yellow and then pressing in the direction of it. The exploration is simply walking down linear paths from which the *GOD OF WAR* cannot deviate, except to turn left down a dead-end path to complete a "puzzle" that is simply figuring out the order of *three* symbols.

It's incredibly basic.

Drizzlehell

Banned

I merely wanted to get off my chest what I don't like about those games. Frankly, I don't give a shit whether someone else likes them or not, or if they play them or not so you don't need to be so salty.

I didn't even expect this to blow up so much, it's just another stupid thread like dozens of others that I made before. But I suppose the reason why it might have gained this much attention is because many people feel similarly about this topic.

Oh I really don't, it's just my opinion. You can agree with it or not, I'm fine with either.

thegame983

2018 is fantastic. I have no issues except lack of gore and some repetitive mini bosses, but that's nitpicking.

Ragnarok is a downgrade. I'm playing NG+ and I've just reached Ironwood and now I want to kill myself.

Drizzlehell

Banned

I like how you think our Gaf bubble is representative of most gamers and also how you think that your opinion is factual

So the many reviewers and gamers got it wrong but you got it right huh... 🤦‍♂️
That's not really what I said but okay. Go ahead and misconstrue to make your whiny point.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You're entitled to your opinion but you can't just say that something is objective and then consider the discussion closed. That's not how it works, buddy.

You can also throw in as many review scores and quotes at me as you like but how is that going to change how I feel about those games personally? You're wasting your time with this. I'd be more interested if you could share your own rebuttal and explain exactly how is this game's combat so awesome. And don't you even dare telling me that older games were QTE filled button mashers because this is literally the only thing you have to say to make me think that you've no idea what you're talking about.

AngelMuffin

You completely missed my point. Had nothing to do with the your gripes with the game.

If your title was something like “I don’t care for the new GoW games and here’s why”, I wouldn’t have commented.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I agree with the person earlier who said (paraphrasing) that it seems like people just get distracted by the production values and can't see how basic the gameplay is.
In a thread full of rose-tinted glasses wearers, OP very much included, reminisce about the OG God of War trilogy because of its spectacle, how on earth is it the people who are on the new duology's side are the ones distracted by production values from acknowledging simplistic gameplay? Get a clue.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Well then we are fans of the series for different reason. Ive been through these arguments with DMC, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta fans who trash GOW 1-3 and even the latest GOWs as wanna be action games. Couldnt care less. GOW to me did setpieces better than any other franchise and its why that series was so beloved. That and kratos' brutality. Both of which were nerfed in Ragnorak.
In that case, never claim to want substance over spectacle in future.

Drizzlehell

Banned
In a thread full of rose-tinted glasses wearers, OP very much included, reminisce about the OG God of War trilogy because of its spectacle, how on earth is it the people who are on the new duology's side are the ones distracted by production values from acknowledging simplistic gameplay? Get a clue.
I mean, I don't think anyone's gonna argue that the originals weren't focused on the spectacle as well, but the difference between old and new is that old didn't waste any time before getting into the good stuff, and that it was able to back up its visuals with tightly focused and satisfying gameplay. The new games are sorely lacking both in pacing and in gameplay, and honesty, even in the story department I found the originals to be much more captivating.

Cashon

Banned
I haven't mentioned anything about the old God of War games. I've simply argued that 2018 is overrated.

Yoboman

Your argument was that it's so beloved by so many not because of the production values, but because of the depth of combat.

My response was to indicate that you are likely wrong. The potential depth of a game has no bearing on why people like it if said people didn't explore it. So you have to ask *why* do people like it? What aspects of it did people actually engage with?

The game is basic because of how simple the whole, overall package is. You spend the first 15 minutes of the game doing nothing but walking/talking. The platforming is simply looking for yellow and then pressing in the direction of it. The exploration is simply walking down linear paths from which the *GOD OF WAR* cannot deviate, except to turn left down a dead-end path to complete a "puzzle" that is simply figuring out the order of *three* symbols.

It's incredibly basic.
You so obviously haven't even played the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They good games and I think they deserve the score they have...but if the Original Trilogy was remade today and captured everything that made the originals great, you would not be able comprehend how epic it would be and those games would look overrated in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom