• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök music production intern Jessica Mao says she wasn't credited for contribution to the game

mortal

Gold Member
If you do work, you get paid and you get credit. It really should be that straightforward and simple.
I don't understand why publishers & developers make it more confusing and frustrating than it needs to be. All it ever does is invite unnecessary grievance and bad press.
They have nothing to lose by properly crediting someone that did the job, whereas the person benefits from having that credit go to their resume/CV for their career.

Last edited:

midnightAI

They don't have to credit anyone in the credits unless it is in the employment/contractor/intern contract. Normally companies will credit people who have worked on the game but they are under no obligation to do so (unless under contract as mentioned), heck, you don't even need to include a credit section in your game (it does get more complicated if you contract someone to do work and in that contract it states they will get credit and then you don't have a credits section in your game however, that's very rare though as most want a credits section in their game)

Also, even if you do have a contract it was proposed that you still need to have worked on the game for 5% of the total game development (or 30 days, whichever is least), something like that anyway (I'm a solo dev so dont have these issues, well, unless I decide to leave myself out of the game credits, then I'll be in trouble with myself and I'll see myself in court where I'll sue myself for not displaying credits for err, myself)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I did some more useless research. Santa Monica Studios states that their interns will be credited for their work.

"We want you to bring your contagious excitement and fresh perspectives! As an intern, you'll work on our current projectalongside us and be credited on the game. Sound awesome? Apply to one of our intern roles!"

I did some more useless research. Santa Monica Studios states that their interns will be credited for their work.

"We want you to bring your contagious excitement and fresh perspectives! As an intern, you'll work on our current projectalongside us and be credited on the game. Sound awesome? Apply to one of our intern roles!"

Thanks. Appreciate the useless research fool

bender

What time is it?
No idea who that is.
d2d0a873-ea4e-40aa-8318-4c9dbd648e27_text.gif

lol...I never said she shouldn't be credited. I asked if interns normally are. If you are going to point to the "fools brigade" then start with the fools who are advocating rushing to judgement without all the facts.

In this case, that would be you.
The Lady worked on this project and hasn't been credited. Its absolutely irrelevant whether she's an intern or not. What facts are you talking about? The information is as straightforward as it gets 🤣

I understand you and Ass are the Gaf equivalent of Beavis and Butt-head but the levels of stupidity is off the charts at this point.

Drizzlehell

Banned
If she'd contribute to the project in any significant way then adding her to the list of credits is such a non-issue that under regular circumstances wouldn't require her to take to twitter to stir up shit about it.

After glancing at that LinkedIn profile, my guess is that she probably just did some legwork on it for a day or two that someone else delegated to her because they didn't have time to do it themselves and she was an intern that you usually use as a toilet for whatever mundane, repetitive tasks that you don't wanna do yourself. And now nobody can even trace that work back to her because it was such a menial task that no one paid attention to who actually did it. And now that the game is such a huge success, she obviously wants to put her name on it for some street cred.

Funny because back in the day that's what you'd call "paying your dues" before striking it big time somewhere, and you would just put that kind of uncredited work on your resume without making a big fuss out of it. Nowadays everyone is so fucking entitled to everything. Makes your eyes roll.

Imtjnotu

The Lady worked on this project and hasn't been credited. Its absolutely irrelevant whether she's an intern or not. What facts are you talking about? The information is as straightforward as it gets 🤣

I understand you and Ass are the Gaf equivalent of Beavis and Butt-head but the levels of stupidity is off the charts at this point.
Hack And Slash Trailer GIF by Xbox

Get that white knight shit out of here

Thabass

I got credited for helping a game's Discord.

This person absolutely should be credited for making assets and editing for the music team. Nonsense that they're not credited.

Last edited:

Nydius

Every time you post something, you look even more foolish.

Topher added relevant details to the discussion twice. All you've done is bitch and moan while trying to derail the topic into console warring nonsensical bullshit. Now you've graduated to personal attacks.

You have contributed nothing to this thread except salt.

Just. Stop. Posting.

Every time you post something, you look even more foolish.

Topher added relevant details to the discussion twice. All you've done is bitch and moan while trying to derail the topic into console warring nonsensical bullshit. Now you've graduated to personal attacks.

You have contributed nothing to this thread except salt.

Just. Stop. Posting.
What relevant information? It's actually the opposite. It's like a morons convention in here for crying out loud. Take your own advice mate, you've come across as an Asshat in one post.

Any information related to this might give some insight as to why this might've happened, dumbass. They never defended it.
Listen dickhead this lady felt strong enough about this to highlight her work on Twitter, because a big studio owned by Sony couldn't be arsed to credit her for her work. I know from your post you're not very bright but this guy would defend PS to his last dying breath, that's why he posted that bullshit, you know it, I know it and he definitely knows it.

Boneless

Listen dickhead this lady felt strong enough about this to highlight her work on Twitter, because a big studio owned by Sony couldn't be arsed to credit her for her work. I know from your post you're not very bright but this guy would defend PS to his last dying breath, that's why he posted that bullshit, you know it, I know it and he definitely knows it.

You took the wrong exit dude, resetera is the other way.

Hugare

lol at "music producer" in the title

According to her LinkedIn profile, she was an Intern at SMS for four months.

qPGbv9C.png

[/URL][/URL]

Are interns normally credited? I have no idea.
So she was an intern, worked there for 4 moths, and from the description it was a very minor intern kind of job

Still, if she worked on it, even for a day, she deserved to be put in the credits. Legaly, they have no obligation to do so, so tough luck.

One thing is certain tho: making it public and painting SSM in a bad light is not a good look if you want to keep working on the videogame industry.

Send them an e-mail, hire a lawyer. Taking things to Twitter is not the right way, even when you are right.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Somehow it seems like the title is inaccurate. Seems like it should read "former intern" instead of "music producer" or something.

Comandr

lol at "music producer" in the title

So she was an intern, worked there for 4 moths, and from the description it was a very minor intern kind of job

Still, if she worked on it, even for a day, she deserved to be put in the credits. Legaly, they have no obligation to do so, so tough luck.

One thing is certain tho: making it public and painting SSM in a bad light is not a good look if you want to keep working on the videogame industry.

Send them an e-mail, hire a lawyer. Taking things to Twitter is not the right way, even when you are right.
This. Fucking this. I was just about to post essentially this same thing. Thanks to Topher Topher 's exhaustive research, we discovered that while an intern, she did deserve to be credited, as per SSM's hiring page. That said, going out and posting about it twitter is not the place to do it, or the way to handle it like a professional adult. My name isn't in credits on games I've worked on, and I fuckin' got over it. If I really wanted to, I could have sent an email to the team lead asking about it, and that email would have gone up and up and up the chain until someone glanced at it and forgot about it. This is SSM essentially saying "We forgot you and you are too small of a speck to be worth the effort." Is it shitty? Yes. Is it also true, also yes. Do I think slinging shit at a major developer on twitter is a good look? No.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Music was the best upgrade from 2018. She did an amazing job .

Edit: oh she didn’t make the soundtrack. Lol. Her and Bayonetta should share a bunk bed.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
We really need to know how more if she says she should be credited.

For example in the film industry Scriptwriters only get credited if they contribute a certain amount. Imagine contributing two pages worth of material in a 120 page script and asking to be in the film credits…

Last edited:
Top Bottom