• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok - is likely a journey through all 9 realms [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Please no.

20/30 would be great I think.
This.

I understand that they're ending the Norse saga with this game, but I really do wish they spread the plot out over two more games (to make it a trilogy).

The Greek mainline trilogy was amazing, and the distribution of the Greek gods across the games was almost perfect. At no point did you feel like "oh I'm only fighting these B-tier gods because this is the first game." No, each game had at least one A-tier god that had high stakes and high tension.

Unlike the Norse saga, where in the first game you fought Baldr over and over and over, and now in this game you get the dump of the rest of the gods. Hopefully they'll make the fights awesome, and the lead up to Thor and Odin should have a lot of impact.

I knew this timeless excuse will be used.

"We reduced scope of out game cause we are limited by mythology".

7EkhQy3.gif

Bragr

Banned
Please don't be filled with open-world side stuff like the first to extend playtime, the paddling around on the lake was the worst part, alongside that elf realm of course.

Swift_Star

Banned
2 new realms. They were right on money.

It should have 9 brand new realms to be not called a DLC.
The fact that this game will probably be one of the GOAT seems to trouble you. I wonder why… team 2023 avatar lol
The dlc feeling was never about scope, but because the reveal was a bit samey in graphic and animations, for many it felt like a small upgrade visually.

Sure the game still looks better than many many games but that was not the point.

Tlou1 remake is gonna look better than most games but that doesn't mean that it doesn't look a bit too much like tlou2 in a much more powerful console.
Well, I guess we can call all Forza Horizon games DLC of each other then. Also all the Dark Souls games are glorified DLC. What else?

Last edited:

GymWolf

The fact that this game will probably be one of the GOAT seems to trouble you. I wonder why… team 2023 avatar lol

Well, I guess we can call all Forza Horizon games DLC of each other then. Also all the Dark Souls games are glorified DLC. What else?
Car games always look very similar with small differences between one and another and nobody expect good graphic or big jumps in souls games (i mean from software, cmon), with sony first party 3rd person action games the narrative is a bit different, you just had to look at ratchet and horizon 2, even if they are not another universe compared to the prequel, they still look considerably better.

In gow you have to zoom 400x to notice some better texture here and there, even big sony fanboys were not excatly excstatic with the graphic\animation\samey feeling part, the first one was my number 2 gotg from past gen so i can assure you that i'm not hating, just aggressively hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Car games always look very similar with small differences between one and another and nobody expect good graphic or big jumps in souls games, with sony first party 3rd person action games the narrative is a bit different, you just had to look at ratchet and horizon 2, even if they are not another universe compared to the prequel, they still look considerably better.
So sequels are glorified DLCs until they aren’t.
course diss GIF

GymWolf

So sequels are glorified DLCs until they aren’t.
course diss GIF
Jesus dude, it's not fucking hard to understand or a matter of moving goal post, i don't give a fuck about winning this argument, i hope to lose because i want ragnarock to look as best as possible, but if you wanna blindly defense anything from sony i'm not gonna waste my time with you, where is the lie in noT expecting nothing graphically from fromsoftare or car games looking extremely samey because the level of detail is already skyhigh? are you telling me thet people doens't expect first party sony to battle between each other for who make the best graphic? fucking please...

If you can't notice how samey ragnarock looked overall or if you are happy with that then good for you, many other people expected more, especially when a full fledged big ass game like horizon fw look much much better and they are both crossgen.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Jesus dude, it's not fucking hard to understand or a matter of moving goal post, i don't give a fuck about winning this argument, i hope to lose because i want ragnarock to look as best as possible, but if you wanna blindly defense anything from sony i'm not gonna waste my time with you, where is the lie in non expecting nothing graphically from fromsoftare or car games looking extremely samey because the level of detail is already skyhigh?

If you can't notice how samey ragnarock looked overall or if you are happy with that then good for you, many other people expected more, especially when a full fledged big ass game like horizon fw look much much better and they are both crossgen.
You’re wrong. There’s nothing else to discuss.

Eric Williams in charge of Ragnarok. He was a big influence on the combat / gameplay mechanics of the original games including the set pieces.

I can't imagine what kind of spectacle Kratos vs Odin is going to be at the end.

Kratos Vs Thor could be like Kratos Vs Baldur on steroids. I want to see the crazy stuff that big guy can do with his hammer.

GymWolf

You’re wrong. There’s nothing else to discuss.
I give 2 fucks about what you think is wrong or correct tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Me and many people were not impressed, deal with it.

P.s. like i already said, i hope to be wrong since i'm super hyped for ragnarock and i want the best for the game, ready to eat crow with mucho gusto.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Car games always look very similar with small differences between one and another and nobody expect good graphic or big jumps in souls games (i mean from software, cmon), with sony first party 3rd person action games the narrative is a bit different, you just had to look at ratchet and horizon 2, even if they are not another universe compared to the prequel, they still look considerably better.

In gow you have to zoom 400x to notice some better texture here and there, even big sony fanboys were not excatly excstatic with the graphic\animation\samey feeling part, the first one was my number 2 gotg from past gen so i can assure you that i'm not hating, just aggressively hoping for the best.
Who?

begotten

I'm still waiting for someone to say why Ragnarok looking like 2018 is a bad thing and what exactly do they need to see for it to look like a new game - that also makes sense logically.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
For me the step up from GoW to GoW:R feels the same as the step up from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

This is not a bad thing.

GymWolf

So you expecting EVERY sequel to build from ground up!? Is not exactly practical!

They already put time and money building engine and assets from original game and you want them throw all away for sequel?
No, i expect a sequel from santa monica on a new system to look considerably better, even if it is crossgen.

Not every dev is the same and expectations change accordingly.

Maybe that trailer was just old footage (obviously), i expect big things from the next trailer.

GymWolf

For me the step up from GoW to GoW:R feels the same as the step up from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

This is not a bad thing.
That would be big (and hard to achieve) since gow2018 was a much much better game than uncharted 1, so the baseline is much higher here.

Finger crossed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Go in the reveal topic or any topic related to that trailer, i remember at least slimysnake but there was someone other.

The thing is, do you only take for good opinions from sony fanboys?

Like i said gow2018 was my gotg number 2 in the past gen, but i'm pretty much console neutral when it comes to console war, is my opinion not good enough because only sony fanboys have honest opinions?

On the good side, i always liked the model for the dwarf with the octopus and loved the model for angrboda, imo the most realistic face in the entire game from what they showed, i was a bit bisappointed by the very small upgrade to kratos, freya and little shit models.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Go in the reveal topic or any topic related to that trailer, i remember at least slimysnake but there was someone other.

The thing is, do you only take for good opinions from sony fanboys?

Like i said gow2018 was my gotg number 2 in the past gen, but i'm pretty much console neutral when it comes to console war, is my opinion not good enough because only sony fanboys have honest opinions?

On the good side, i always liked the model for the dwarf with the octopus and loved the model for angrboda, imo the most realistic face in the entire game from what they showed, i was a bit bisappointed by the very small upgrade to kratos, freya and little shit models.
SlimySnake is notorious for his near constant bitching and whining about all manner games, and things related to gaming.

I can believe you're taking him seriously as a source for any kind of judgement on GoW Ragnarok. As soon as the game was revealed to be cross-gen he's been dead set against it, and complaining endlessly.

Swift_Star

Banned
SlimySnake is notorious for his near constant bitching and whining about all manner games, and things related to gaming.

I can believe you're taking him seriously as a source for any kind of judgement on GoW Ragnarok. As soon as the game was revealed to be cross-gen he's been dead set against it, and complaining endlessly.
Agreed. The guy is miserable all the time. It’s why I put him on ignore.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think its important to think about the release date, its the 9th, 9 realms? coincidence?

or perhaps someone just really likes 9/11, I know I do.

GymWolf

He praise the graphic of forbidden west to no end, he even compared ragnarock to fw more than one time to prove a point so i guess he doesn't hate everything and he apprecciate when even a crossgen is a big jump from the prequel in terms of graphic, so what you say is factually false althought he is known for bitching a bit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And i take my eyes and brain as a source of everything dude, you just asked to name a sony fanboy who was not happy with the reveal, but you can find someone else between the sony fans, and many neutral like me who were not impressed, even slimy started bitching kinda recently, he always was one of the biggest soners in here.

I hate crossgen aswell but you can see me praising the graphic of fw or ratchet in the official topics or dedicated pics topics.

I don't have any obscure reason to not be impressed by ragnarock, i just wasn't, but i guess i'm grasping at straws because i don't have a constant erection while looking at the first trailer like some other people...

Last edited:

GymWolf

He’s just grasping at straws.
Lol dude i hope sony pay you enough to be such a warrior in a damn forum...put me on ignore aswell if you can't deal with people who have different opinions.

So people has to be impressed by ragnarock or they are grasping at straws? expecting a sequel to look much better in a new console especially when another sony first party team demonstrated that it can be possible even in a open world crossgen is probably asking the moon for you, lmao.
I even said that my opinion is not set in stone and i'm ready to change idea with literally the next trailer they are gonna show, don't forget to quote this part in case you wanna use this post as a gatcha in the future...

Dajin doens't give 2 fucks about graphic, he always says that in his posts, I don't even know why he is partecipating to this discussion or why he asked me that question tbh, i'm not sure if he even likes gow... he would be happy if the next 10 iterations of monster hunter would have the same graphic of rise :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

The hoops and excuses posters go through, when you give their own same logic, to games series they like.
I fucking hate driving games and if you read my previous posts i'm not even the biggest from fanboy in here, i even liked gow 2018 way more than bloodborne or sekiro, do you have any other smart things to say about my post or what?

Hoops and excuses, lmao.

Last edited:

Arachnid

I don't care how many realms there are as long as they have more enemy variety than the first. I got so tired of fighting the same flying bug guys, trolls, and Valkyries 20 times.

GymWolf

I don't care how many realms there are as long as they have more enemy variety than the first. I got so tired of fighting the same flying bug guys, trolls, and Valkyries 20 times.
The valkyrie were the best fights in the game easily, i hope there are more of that, but i can do with fewer trolls yeah.

Tbh the trolls were the worst offender, but the enemy variety was acceptable imo (WAY improvable of course)

Last edited:

SpokkX

I just hope the new realms a not reskins of another and basically features a big bridge and some linear paths + climbing puzzles

Replaying gow it is clear the game is severely lacking in level design

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
He praise the graphic of forbidden west to no end, he even compared ragnarock to fw more than one time to prove a point so i guess he doesn't hate everything and he apprecciate when even a crossgen is a big jump from the prequel in terms of graphic, so what you say is factually false althought he is known for bitching a bit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

And i take my eyes and brain as a source of everything dude, you just asked to name a sony fanboy who was not happy with the reveal, but you can find someone else between the sony fans, and many neutral like me who were not impressed, even slimy started bitching kinda recently, he always was one of the biggest soners in here.

I hate crossgen aswell but you can see me praising the graphic of fw or ratchet in the official topics or dedicated pics topics.

I don't have any obscure reason to not be impressed by ragnarock, i just wasn't, but i guess i'm grasping at straws because i don't have a constant erection while looking at the first trailer like some other people...
He whined about the 60hz mode way more than he praised the game.

Also complained about it being cross-gen.

Also moaned about the development time (Quelle surprise)

He's not a Song fanboy, as plenty of Discord users on here can attest to lol.

For all the complaints from a vocal few, my unofficial opinion is that far more people were impressed by the reveal than disappointed. And that's going to help propel the game to massive first week sales.

OZ9000

Banned
Please don't be filled with open-world side stuff like the first to extend playtime, the paddling around on the lake was the worst part, alongside that elf realm of course.
100%

I fucking hate it when games make you walk miles to reach your objective. It's such a shit way to artificially extend the game too.

Open world games aren't very cleverly designed in general.

I'm playing Borderlands 3 right now - having a lot of fun, but it also annoys me how much you have to travel for the side missions.

Arachnid

I actual get what you're saying. Ragnorok looking like it's the exact same game as the first isn't anything new either. People have been making that observation since the original reveal. People quoting you seem to be in defense mode but that same sentiment has been popping up all over the place.

If you like the first though, more of the same isn't necessarily bad. Those who enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn enjoyed Forbidden West for similar reasons.

Top Bottom