• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Jotnar Edition $259 (no disc)

Ellery

In a parallel universe we have the opposite thread on Paleogaf where Digital PS5 owners complain about God of War Ragnarok coming on a physical disc they can't use with their PS5 Digital Edition.

dEvAnGeL

I actually prefer this. I share accounts with my brother. We take turns buying games and i also like to collect these editions. Before i had to buy the game again digital if i purchased CE's. Now I can just wait a few years for the physical games to go on sale a grab it for $5 or so.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
FOR THE PAYERS
Or you pay $19.00 for it 4 months after release.

psychic adult swim GIF by HULU

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hate this. I mean, I get that some people would want the collector's items but still have the game digitally, but why not make one edition with the physical game and one without it then? I would personally never buy this. I mean, I wouldn't anyway as I know those items will just end up collecting dust (I've done it a few times, although never these mega editions), but not having the actual game included makes it very easy.

Last edited:
I hate this. I mean, I get that some people would want the collector's items but still have the game digitally, but why not make one edition with the physical game and one without it then? I would personally never buy this. I mean, I wouldn't anyway as I know those items will just end up collecting dust (I've done it a few times, although never these mega editions), but not having the actual game included makes it very easy.
That would mean at least 3 versions of each collectors editions. 1 PS4 version with disc, 1 PS5 version with disc and 1 PS5 version without disc.

Makes zero sense when you can just include a code which can be used for all versions without any issues. As a PC gamer I haven't even bought any discs for a decade. Don't even have a disc drive anymore.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
But what if you have a digital ps5 only?

How would you play the disc?
You know my gut reaction was being annoyed - but you're absolutely right, I totally forgot they make digital only PS5 -- and I couldn't see them including both, -- so this actually, begrudgingly, makes the most sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That would mean at least 3 versions of each collectors editions. 1 PS4 version with disc, 1 PS5 version with disc and 1 PS5 version without disc.

Makes zero sense when you can just include a code which can be used for all versions without any issues. As a PC gamer I haven't even bought any discs for a decade. Don't even have a disc drive anymore.

Well, I still buy big releases on disc, partly because it's cheaper (new releases are ridiculously expensive on the PS Store in Sweden), partly because I'm old and like having a physical collection. So buying this big physical collector's edition but NOT getting a physical copy of the actual game is just all kinds of fucked up to me.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
No, the comment doesn’t stand at all and I didn’t say a single thing in your post about it not costing them anything, an infinite supply, etc. either, so idk what the fuck you’re on about.

Some of you legit channel DORY like nobodies bidness. Go read your original comment. Your whinging that the CE isn't a complete package when clearly it is, and it is immediately obvious given the PS5 SKU's why it doesn't come with a physical disc a disc that someone can easily obtain because - again - the CE comes with a code instead of an actual game disc which would have pushed the cost of the CE up.

. . .also, CLEARLY people want this as the thing has already sold out.

Pre-ordered the collector's edition as I really want the mjolnir.

No disc indeed sucks tho, but I guess I can live with the empty steelbook as I display them on the wall like this.
LlQaAjV.jpg

That FC6 case is fantastic. I wonder if that is Giancarlo's handwriting.

Alebrije

I find it expensive since basically is a plastic hammer a and the other stuff is useless ,. The Horizon collectors edition is far superior.

But both share the no disc trending ...do not get why they put just the case.

Honestly I expected something better for this game , specially since could end a saga ,. The fate of Kratos is o the table.

TexMex

Some of you legit channel DORY like nobodies bidness. Go read your original comment. Your whinging that the CE isn't a complete package when clearly it is, and it is immediately obvious given the PS5 SKU's why it doesn't come with a physical disc a disc that someone can easily obtain because - again - the CE comes with a code instead of an actual game disc which would have pushed the cost of the CE up.

. . .also, CLEARLY people want this as the thing has already sold out

I do say it is incomplete. I said I never commented about cost, supply or anything else in your post. I also never said people don’t want it either. I only speak for myself. So again, the fuck are you on about? Going to move the goal post every time you reply?

killatopak

I am a huge physical fan.

I do however understand their position since both Xbox and Sony have a digital only console so I can't fault them for it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I do say it is incomplete. I said I never commented about cost, supply or anything else in your post. I also never said people don’t want it either. I only speak for myself. So again, the fuck are you on about? Going to move the goal post every time you reply?

Go back and read your original comment mate.

TexMex

Go back and read your original comment mate.

I said, very specifically, outside of the context of a “collectors edition” that people would not go buy a plastic god of war hammer on its own for $200 and I 100% stand by that.

ZoukGalaxy

These editions are pure shame: a physical edition for collectors, including a STEELBOOK, with no physical game at an insane price.

SONY: put this hammer deep where it belongs.
Halloween GIF

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Agree with you both. And Lunar wasn’t collectors either. I still have my Ultima IX big box. What a great package and one of my favorite Ultima games by far.

True. It's amazing the love and care that Working Designs put into their releases. It's amazing that we went from that to Halo cat helmets.

Three

I believe EA started this and as with most bad ideas that EA create everyone soon follows.
I'll be interested to know what EA game this started with. I remember the £200 Halo Collectors edition in 2015 having no disc and that kicking up a storm. We should pressure them to offer a disc in exchange for the collectors edition digital code in the same way.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'll be interested to know what EA game this started with. I remember the £200 Halo Collectors edition in 2015 having no disc and that kicking up a storm. We should pressure them to offer a disc in exchange for the collectors edition digital code in the same way.

Ah when people say "no game" I mean not even a copy of the game physical or digital. They sell you the collectors edition stuff and then you have to go and buy the game separately on top. Their excuse is this way they only have to make one collectors edition set and then you just pick the correct platform of the game yourself. The issue is that these CE's without a game cost the same as the ones that used to include a game for a platform... so people where not happy.

I believe EA started that with Battielfield 1 in 2016, Mass Effect Andromeda soon followed.

Last edited:

Three

Ah when people say "no game" I mean not even a copy of the game physical or digital. They sell you the collectors edition stuff and then you have to go and buy the game separately on top. Their excuse is this way they only have to make one collectors edition set and then you just pick the correct platform of the game yourself. The issue is that these CE's without a game cost the same as the ones that used to include a game for a platform... so people where not happy.

I believe EA started that with Battielfield 1 in 2016, Mass Effect Abdromeda soon followed.
Oh I see. For what it's worth this includes the digital PS4 and PS5 copy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I loved Witcher 2’s CE where you got currency from the game, dice from the mini game, a good sized art book, and a statue bust. I have a bunch of maps from Rockstar’s base game. I still have the Dragon Age cloth map. A lot of those maps I don’t know how to display, so they’re just a stack of cool maps.

Oh yeah and a deck of Witcher 2 themed cards, a strategy guide, the making of, and the soundtrack. Anymore they highlight the figure and that’s about it.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I would rather have the disc tbh but it's not going to stop me.

I've been waiting for this impatiently ever since the ending of 2018.

taizuke

There's been special editions with the steelbook and disc that's usually $20 more expensive. Why can't we get that?

Last edited:
People out here spending $250 for 1 game.
Imagine spending $200+ for a toy hammer and trinkets that will never be used ....

Everyone is entitled to spending their money on what they want but its no wonder companies keep taking advantage of customers. Its crazy that this actually sold out and going for scalper prices.

Top Bottom