• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Awards 2015 aka The Tina and Amy Show - 5pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasteman

Banned
How much does Theory Of Everything focus on the scientific attributes of Hawkings life? I have absolutely no interest in his love life.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Truth is Best Picture contenders this year were all an equal level of fantastic. But its easy to point to the one with the novelty of spanning 12 years and declare it the winner, which is why i think it will win the Oscar as well. Everyone else cancels each other.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yep, this might be one of the worst posts I've ever read on this forum. Is Koyaanisqatsi not a film? Is something like The Trip not a film?

Who are you to decide the definition of a film? How big is your ego to say something like that?

Who are you to decide that this is the worst post ever on neogaf?!?! How big is your ego to say something like that?

Gobias

Banned
Boyhood didn't really grip me that way I hoped it would. I love the idea of it and have no problem with there being no plot, but I couldn't help to feel disappointed about it. Maybe it's the performances but some of the scenes just didn't resonate with me. I still liked it overall though.

Choomp

Banned
How much does Theory Of Everything focus on the scientific attributes of Hawkings life? I have absolutely no interest in his love life.

Been wondering this too. I liked The Imitation Game more than expected because it's love arc was pretty unique,
mm Keira Knightley
but I feel that's all TTOE focuses on so I never saw it

overcast

I haven't seen the other dramas, but I was figuring it would be Birdman vs Boyhood for the globes. Looks like Boyhood will win pretty handily.

Although, Selma could definitely pick up steam.

Smidget

Boyhood didn't really grip me that way I hoped it would. I love the idea of it and have no problem with there being no plot, but I couldn't help to feel disappointed about it. Maybe it's the performances but some of the scenes just didn't resonate with me. I still liked it overall though.

I greatly enjoyed it but some of the acting was a bit stiff.
The scene where they are being cool and drinking beer was just so horribly done and acted.

Dominator

I didn't dislike Boyhood, I just don't think it was that special. It was a fine movie for the spectacle of watching something that had a span of 12 years, but the actual content of the movie was quite bare. And the things Mason was going through didn't really have any connection with me. Cool movie though.

Choomp

Banned
These were good, it wasn't until tonight that I realized how good of a year for films this was. I'm pumped for Thursday with the Oscar nominees now, there's something about that show I like more than any other awards still.

Toxi

Banned
Boyhood was good, but... I don't know, it's one of those movies that didn't grab me. Some of the characters were way too exaggerated and cartoony for the realistic tone of the movie, especially random minor characters like the MC's boss at that fast-food joint.

I can't judge the decision though, I haven't seen all of the movies nominated.

If Boyhood is a gimmick, all films are. Every film deals with the passage of time to some extent. The 12 year idea is the most accurate and believe able way to tell the story Linklater wanted to tell. Yes if you took that away it wouldn't be the same film. But you can take an essential component out of any film and it wouldn't be the same. It's such a silly thing to point out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Boyhood sucks. The other movies must have been even more mediocre for Boyhood to win.

The movie i thought was the best wasnt even nominated (Whiplash) and no, the other movies were actually fantastic. Like i said Boyhood did something unique in a sea of movies that all matched each other. Makes the decision easy.

It's not a movie, there's almost no plot to it. At this point people are just seeing what they want to see. It's almost just a bunch of random scenes thrown together and he called it a movie.

Except you just described a lot of films, including one of Linklater's first (see: Slacker).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom