• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

RickMasters

They may aswell get more serious and just open a PSN store on PC. They could even port a bunch of PS2 and PS1 and even PS3 games to make the service more attractive on PC. If they are gonna start making mandatory sign ins to PSN on all their PC ports…. May aswell have the store there too, for playstion-PC games

Astray

If a PSN account is required then the game cant be activated in countries that dont have PSN.

hell-divers-2-delisted-in-all-these-countries-due-to-psn-v0-nooj56uiomyc1.png
It's because people concern trolled (and organized a mass-refund campaign) over it instead of just making an account with whatever region you want and linking it to a (then-open) Steam account.

My psn account is US region and I linked it to my local region Steam account with zero problems.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's because people concern trolled (and organized a mass-refund campaign) over it instead of just making an account with whatever region you want and linking it to a (then-open) Steam account.

My psn account is US region and I linked it to my local region Steam account with zero problems.

Is you local region supported by PSN as such actually able to purchase and activate the game?
Because, mine isnt so I cant activate the game either way..........and region circumvention tactics can get your account banned from Steam, especially if the reason you are region jumping is to dodge a restriction.....such as in this situation.

Astray

Is you local region supported by PSN as such actually able to purchase and activate the game?
Because, mine isnt so I cant activate the game either way..........and region circumvention tactics can get your account banned from Steam, especially if the reason you are region jumping is to dodge a restriction.....such as in this situation.
My steam region has PSN account support, so i can still see and buy Sony games on Steam.

I still chose to go with US for my PSN account with no issues (to evade local censorship), and then later linked my local account to my US PSN account for Spiderman costumes with no problems as well.

The whole thing was a nothing burger that got turned into a serious issue by an ill-advised consumer mass refund campaign.

No sane company would choose to subject itself to a mass refund risk like this again (refunds and chargebacks cost extra because of additional payment processing costs).

gerth666

EA requiring a login on Steam Games - Fine.
Ubisoft requiring a login - Fine.
Microsoft now requiring an account for their first party games - fine.

giphy.gif

Sony requiring a login...
giphy.gif

The funny thing is that the PSN login is about as unintrusive a login as I have seen.
I'm sure there are some people who are effected by this, and sucks for them if they're interested in buying playstation games on pc. This is what I think, most of the fake outrage for this comes from platform wars. You see over years I've been following the games industry I've noticed that a great lot of pc players have a large dislike for playstation, a dislike they don't share for Microsoft, in fact a lot of them on this forum I notice seem to war in favour of Xbox. It always amuses me when I see it. So that is why I believe they don't have issues with other publisher's requiring sign ups, it all comes down to a strong phobia of playstation.

Black_Stride

My steam region has PSN account support, so i can still see and buy Sony games on Steam.

I still chose to go with US for my PSN account with no issues (to evade local censorship), and then later linked my local account to my US PSN account for Spiderman costumes with no problems as well.

The whole thing was a nothing burger that got turned into a serious issue by an ill-advised consumer mass refund campaign.

No sane company would choose to subject itself to a mass refund risk like this again (refunds and chargebacks cost extra because of additional payment processing costs).

PWXnwK.gif

What do mass refunds have to do with delisting the game?
The people who adamantly dont want to link to PSN wont buy the game either way.
Let people willing to link buy the game.

Are you assuming the people who were doing those refunds were mostly from unsupported regions?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Standard.
Exactly
We don't only game on our PC. Also can I play Total War games, Age of Empires, HL Alyx, Rimworld etc etc... on consoles? Can I emulate the Dreamcast/N64/PS2/PS3 on consoles? Can I use the controller of my choice on consoles rather it is M+K or DS4 or Xbox controller? Can I customize 99% of my games with mods to better fit my liking if I want to? Can I play all games maxed out with 144Hz/FPS on consoles? And I'm not talking about one or two small games. I'm talking about every single game.

If you are fine with playing on console it's ok, no need to throw shit to other people who like different things.

To download it? And once it's done you can switch to offline mode and never be bothered again if you want to. So just like on consoles. Not to mention that Steam offer A LOT of cool features like family sharing, cloud saves, workshop etc etc... What am I getting for logging in to the PSN. Trophies? It's already there on Steam. Friend list? Same. So what's the point?
All of that has nothing to do with spending $400 to play games you want instead of port begging like many do.

Are you turning this into a vs thing? We all have our opinions and if so I prefer PlayStation and it's ecosystem over PC/Steam.
FuemU1d.gif

So that Steam knows which user is playing whether online or offline.
Same reason you login to your profile on your console whether online or offline.

You didnt think that one through did you?
You need to login period.
Are you okay mate?
PC gamers almost never complain about wokeism because if they dont like thing, they just mod it.

Think The Last of Us would be better as an FPS?
Go for it.
TLOU-1st-Person-scaled.jpg

Miss the Julia Voth Face?
Why not:
maxresdefault.jpg

Like them in the heavyweight division?
We dont judge:
fd684c8c23b6ec29d4ed8a3716dfac9cb6d0d06a.jpeg

So if theres anything "woke" in a game the chances of PC gamers complaining about it, is slim cuz theyll just sort it out.
Though complaining about wokeism in the first place is the biggest snowflake move.

sKpXLwb.jpeg

This thread alone shows this not to be the case.

Oh and you can't go any lower than defending woke shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

S0ULZB0URNE

They may aswell get more serious and just open a PSN store on PC. They could even port a bunch of PS2 and PS1 and even PS3 games to make the service more attractive on PC. If they are gonna start making mandatory sign ins to PSN on all their PC ports…. May aswell have the store there too, for playstion-PC games
If they stay with this experiment... you know it's coming.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Exactly

All of that has nothing to do with spending $400 to play games you want instead of port begging like many do.
And what's the big deal? People can't ask for a game without a stupid log in? What's the problem if Sony can recoup some cost by porting a game to PC? Why do I feel you are just butthurt that this is happening?

The bigger issue is anyone who won't spend $400 for a console to play these games but will spend thousands on PC builds.
This is why I'm telling you there is a lot more to do with a PC. We don't only game, and many PC players don't see the need to spend 400 bucks to play a bunch of games in a very closed system (a thing PC players don't like at all)

Are you turning this into a vs thing? We all have our opinions and if so I prefer PlayStation and it's ecosystem over PC/Steam.
You are the one who doesn't game on PC (apparently) talking about things you don't use. You are here saying how awful it is to log in into Steam while you don't see the big limitations of a closed ecosystem like a console.

Again, what do we get for login in to the PSN?

You need to login period.
Just like on your PS5

S0ULZB0URNE

And what's the big deal? People can't ask for a game without a stupid log in? What's the problem if Sony can recoup some cost by porting a game to PC? Why do I feel you are just butthurt that this is happening?

This is why I'm telling you there is a lot more to do with a PC. We don't only game, and many PC players don't see the need to spend 400 bucks to play a bunch of games in a very closed system (a thing PC players don't like at all)

You are the one who doesn't game on PC (apparently) talking about things you don't use. You are here saying how awful it is to log in into Steam while you don't see the big limitations of a closed ecosystem like a console.

Again, what do we get for login in to the PSN?

Just like on your PS5
No you can't expect to play a digital game without a log in.

You keep bringing up irrelevant other things we can do with a PC.

If you want to play certain games you should have to spend $400 to buy a device to do so and this should not be a issue for a non fanboy PC gamer that already spends good money on builds.

Wait wait because I don't agree with some of you and because I prefer consoles over PC that means I don't game on and use PC's? Lmao

T4keD0wN

You can play God of War 2018 for eternity without a login (after you buy it once) since its on GoG.
If you want to play certain games you should have to spend $400 to buy a device to do so and this should not be a issue for a non fanboy PC gamer that already spends good money on builds.
Youre right that Sony can set up whatever conditions they want for selling their own games, but come on, even Sony disagrees with this since theyre putting Ragnarok on PC.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You can play God of War 2018 for eternity without a login (after you buy it once) since its on GoG.

Come on, even Sony disagrees with this since theyre putting Ragnarok on PC.
Gog is a incredible service but not the norm.

I'm ocd like as I don't like any launchers running in the background when I game.

Only gog lets me close it out while I game.

Not releasing day one with single player plus what they said recently paints a different picture.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yeah? Never said otherwise.

You keep bringing up irrelevant other things we can do with a PC.
I'm explaining to you why we prefer to game on PC. Since for you we should just buy a PS5

Again why do you care? I (and many other person) don't see the use of a PS5, that is it.
Paying an extra 400$ to play 2 or 3 game 1 or 2 years before they arrive on PC is nonsense. What's hard to understand?

And what am I getting to log into the PSN on PC. Please answer those.

Wait wait because I don't agree with some of you and because I prefer consoles over PC that means I don't game on and use PC's? Lmao
That's why I said apparently. Again reading comprehension problem. Btw, do you game on PC?

S0ULZB0URNE

Yeah? Never said otherwise.

I'm explaining to you why we prefer to game on PC. Since for you we should just buy a PS5

Again why do you care? I (and many other person) don't see the use of a PS5, that is it.
Paying an extra 400$ to play 2 or 3 game 1 or 2 years before they arrive on PC is nonsense. What's hard to understand?

And what am I getting to log into the PSN on PC. Please answer those.

That's why I said apparently. Again reading comprehension problem. Btw, do you game on PC?
I never asked you why you game on PC nor is it relevant to this discussion m8.

It's you and a small 'but LOUD' minorities opinion that having a computer and a PS5 isn't the most logical combo.

Why do I care? Why do you care?

I don't need to answer questions about things I haven't said.

I am not the one with the reading and comprehension problem as I showed in quotes of what you said.
I thought we chalked it up as English not being your native language already?

Yes I game on PC and been doing so since around 1998 intel Pent 266mhz with my first gpu being a voodoo 2.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I never asked you why you game on PC nor is it relevant to this discussion m8.
I disagree. It's to explain that there is a lot of differences between a console and a PC, and this is why a lot of people won't switch no matter what and/or don't see the point in spending $400.. There is a lot of other things that can be bought with this (like... games)

It's you and a small 'but LOUD' minorities opinion that having a computer and a PS5 isn't the most logical combo.

Why do I care? Why do you care?
So you don't have an answer. I already told you why I care. Explaining over and over again serve no purpose when you don't want to understand.

I don't need to answer questions about things I haven't said.

I am not the one with the reading and comprehension problem as I showed in quotes of what you said.
I thought we chalked it up as English not being your native language already?
But yet again you are the one confounding words. Don't make me quote this.

Yes I game on PC and been doing so since around 1998 intel Pent 266mhz with my first gpu being a voodoo 2.
Nice! So you should easily understand.

Nahhhh it's more like people are finding reasons to be mad at Sony.

But you already know this.
Most of them (like me) just go with it and connect their already existing account. The point is to at least push back against unnecessary practice and there is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing our opinion. You can call people crybabies, kids, stupid, slow brains or anything (not saying you did, just for the example), at the end of the day it takes 1 minute to write a message on a forum to say "this is shit I don't like this account things" or to modify a review.

So yeah, I don't get why you need to call people out or saying things implying voicing his opinion is bad or stupid.

gatti-man

Of all the things to get mad about a stupid log in is not on my list. If this is how some pc gamers react lord help them when Microsoft buys their beloved Steam (that literally did this exact same thing decades ago to force gamers to download it). Most hypocritical stand ever. The reason Steam is so prevalent is bc it attached itself by force to half life 2. It literally inspired all of this behavior we see now.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I disagree. It's to explain that there is a lot of differences between a console and a PC, and this is why a lot of people won't switch no matter what and/or don't see the point in spending $400.. There is a lot of other things that can be bought with this (like... games)

So you don't have an answer. I already told you why I care. Explaining over and over again serve no purpose when you don't want to understand.

But yet again you are the one confounding words. Don't make me quote this.

Nice! So you should easily understand.

Most of them (like me) just go with it and connect their already existing account. The point is to at least push back against unnecessary practice and there is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing our opinion. You can call people crybabies, kids, stupid, slow brains or anything (not saying you did, just for the example), at the end of the day it takes 1 minute to write a message on a forum to say "this is shit I don't like this account things" or to modify a review.

So yeah, I don't get why you need to call people out or saying things implying voicing his opinion is bad or stupid.
1+2. And I disagree that it's relevant.
Like I already stated It's not a lot of PC  gamers who don't also own consoles it's just the small amount that do are very vocal fanboys on social media.

3.No answer because the question is another issue that I'm not speaking on.

4.No I don't understand and it's not relevant see above.

5.Haven't done this but in this very thread it was done to me.
Don't see you quoting that person.....

6.Instead I see you and that vocal minority trying to police your perspectives on everyone who don't agree.
Hence the multiple times I been quoted.

kingkenny76

If its actually required then that means alot of regions where PSN isnt officially supported wont be able to purchase the game......I dont think thats fake outrage.

hell-divers-2-delisted-in-all-these-countries-due-to-psn-v0-nooj56uiomyc1.png
Japan isn't officially supported for PSN? Where is this list from? I'm pretty sure the PSN is available in Japan 😂

Black_Stride

Japan isn't officially supported for PSN? Where is this list from? I'm pretty sure the PSN is available in Japan 😂

Japan doesnt use the universal steamkey for the game so it appears on the banlist.
There is a whole other entry for Japan only.

qfVxHwQ.png

Zathalus

Nahhhh it's more like people are finding reasons to be mad at Sony.

But you already know this.
Sure a lot of people are being a bit silly about the PSN thing, it's just an account not a launcher or seperate cliënt you need to install, but some have valid issues, such as those that cannot purchase the game in certain regions.

Still doesn't change the fact that some people are upset Sony is putting these games on PC, such as yourself.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
1+2. And I disagree that it's relevant.
It's not because you keep saying it that it's true.

Like I already stated It's not a lot of PC  gamers who don't also own consoles it's just the small amount that do are very vocal fanboys on social media.
Any proof of that? Any number? Because thousands of people voiced their opinion for HDII for example. Not a "small amount", rather you like it or not.

Whitney Houston GIF

You can't just throw your opinion out and call it a fact, show me proof.

3.No answer because the question is another issue that I'm not speaking on.

4.No I don't understand and it's not relevant see above.
"I don't want to answer" well of course because you know you are wrong and don't have anything relevant to say

5.Haven't done this but in this very thread it was done to me.
Don't see you quoting that person.....
Poor little thing. Maybe it's because you are responding from you high horse thinking you know everything while CLEARLY you are wrong.

6.Instead I see you and that vocal minority trying to police your perspectives on everyone who don't agree.
Hence the multiple times I been quoted.
Dude re-read your messages. You are being quoted because of how you express yourself and how wrong you are. That's it, stop playing the victim.

Radrigal

Hey, take your hands off your keyboard if you don't know what the hell you're talking about:

My country isn't officially supported by PSN.

I can't buy the game on Steam because Steam is blocking my country from purchases and from even viewing them because of the PSN requirement.

I already have a PSN account. I have been using it since the PS3. I have a US account and an Asian (Hong Kong) account. I have been using it with no problems on console.

I have been able to buy the previously released Sony games on PC. Now I can't because of this shitty new requirement. For offline single player games.

So permit me to be pissed at this stupidity unraveling right in my face.

Švejk

Sony just wants to tag folks who are going to base mod the fuck out of it... While Sweet Baby sits in a corner and watches.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine batting for a multi-billion dollar corporation and not being ashamed of it.
Gaming is a weird thing.

Funny thing is if you were to ask the same people if DVD/BR players, TV sets, PCs, stereo equipment etc... should all be open and can run any media, or if media should be locked behind different brands like Samsung gets this, LG gets that they'd all say every branded box should be able to run everything.

Fredrik

Gaming is a weird thing.

Funny thing is if you were to ask the same people if DVD/BR players, TV sets, PCs, stereo equipment etc... should all be open and can run any media, or if media should be locked behind different brands like Samsung gets this, LG gets that they'd all say every branded box should be able to run everything.
It’s not that weird, people want exclusives because they want the platform they’ve invested money on for decades to survive so they don’t lose access to the purchased content. Without exclusives the platform needs to be better than everything else or have to be cheaper or has to have some other differentiating benefit for it to survive.

For fun you could ask yourself this:
If you don’t need any store benefits and if Fallout TV show was available on other streaming services that you already have, would you still have signed up on Amazon Prime?

I know I wouldn’t. I signed up for one single reason. Fallout. Once I’ve seen that I’ll cancel the sub, unless there is some other exclusive I want to see.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
It’s not that weird, people want exclusives because they want the platform they’ve invested money on for decades to survive so they don’t lose access to the purchased content. Without exclusives the platform needs to be better than everything else or have to be cheaper or has to have some other differentiating benefit for it to survive.

For fun you could ask yourself this:
If you don’t need any store benefits and if Fallout TV show was available on other streaming services that you already have, would you still have signed up on Amazon Prime?

I know I wouldn’t. I signed up for one single reason. Fallout. Once I’ve seen that I’ll cancel the sub, unless there is some other exclusive I want to see.
This kind of fragmentation is how you increase pirating rates though. Also, subbing only one month and cancelling the sub afterwards doesn't grant them a very sustainable model.

Fredrik

This kind of fragmentation is how you increase pirating rates though. Also, subbing only one month and cancelling the sub afterwards doesn't grant them a very sustainable model.
Piracy is a different beast and sustainability too. I just know that I never sign up to a new service or buy new hardware if I don’t have to unless I get some benefits from it. Would feel like a complete waste of money.

But if a platform holder don’t want to be a platform holder anymore, then yeah, then exclusivity is 100% bad.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I really want to replay this game, but fuck me, those son moments are way too long. Especially that one where you’re riding that thing

Top Bottom