• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

Soodanim

Adult consumers have a right to want exclusivity for the products they purchase.

Exclusivity not only separates products but it also gives the brand/s a identity and reason to own multiple products.

Children like is wanting everybody's toys.
I don't understand your reasoning. Your justification only raises the same question again: why would you care?

Specifically: why would you care about product separation, why would you care about Sony's identity, and why do you want Sony to give you reasons to own multiple products?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think it's dumb for single player titles, but I can see why they're doing it.

They not only want to boost their MAU but they want to track their activities as well.

- How many PC players own Playstation consoles
- How many users are purchasing the game twice.
- How many players do not own a PS console.

And more...

It's valuable data.

People didn't like the PSN requirement for GoT and it ended up being their biggest single player game on Steam to date. And to be fair, it was only for the online mode.

Sony is expecting this to blow over.

If God of War Ragnarok performs well then it might not be an issue a year from now.

RickSanchez

Does this even benefit the player in any way ? For example, will my PS5 save carry over, so that i can start a PC playthrough directly as a NG+ ?

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's ok by me, I don't see the issue as long as:

1. They specify it beforehand so people don't waste their money on a game they can't use all our any feature

2. Don't make me download a launcher, my PC is very console like with SBP so I'd rather not take my experience from there... Tho it's not a big deal most of the time, I have a small keyboard with a trackpad aside.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't understand your reasoning. Your justification only raises the same question again: why would you care?

Specifically: why would you care about product separation, why would you care about Sony's identity, and why do you want Sony to give you reasons to own multiple products?
I buy Sony's consoles for Sony's games,I buy Nintendo's gaming devices for Nintendo's games and I used to buy Xbox consoles for Xbox games.

Exclusives=identity it's not hard or my fault you can't see this.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I buy Sony's consoles for Sony's games,I buy Nintendo's gaming devices for Nintendo's games and I used to buy Xbox consoles for Xbox games.

Exclusives=identity it's not hard or my fault you can't see this.
I still don't see why a grown man would care in the slightest about a corporation's identity unless you have some sort of autistic spectrum disorder, but this will only go in circles so I'll thank you for the reply and leave you to it. Cheers.

I think the pushback is valid for multiple reasons.
  1. People don't want anything that approaches always online single player games
  2. People don't want more launchers
  3. People might live in one of the unavailable countries
Both 1 and 2 are because people know corporations will keep pushing, and if it's not necessary then it's probably in there to serve an ulterior motive. I personally don't want more launchers, and I avoid EA/Ubi/Rockstar/EGS because of it.

Fabieter

If they're making it clear PSN's required before launch then no problems.

The Helldivers 2 situation was bad because they grabbed everyone's money and then forced the requirement on everyone after all was said and done even while people already knew that the game could work without PSN.

The only complaint I have here is.... Why God of War specifically? That game doesn't even have an online mode? And is this from any official source?

Every release with forced psn also gives them data with the real overlap between consoles and pc.

kikii

Gold Member
Good. Let this shit flop so they don't violate my State of Plays with the fucking trash.
KijYbCQ.jpg

3cQH6bs.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They kind of need you to sign into a psn account to track important data for them.

It does kinda suck, but if it introduces cross save etc I'll take it.

S0ULZB0URNE

I still don't see why a grown man would care in the slightest about a corporation's identity unless you have some sort of autistic spectrum disorder, but this will only go in circles so I'll thank you for the reply and leave you to it. Cheers.

I think the pushback is valid for multiple reasons.
  1. People don't want anything that approaches always online single player games
  2. People don't want more launchers
  3. People might live in one of the unavailable countries
Both 1 and 2 are because people know corporations will keep pushing, and if it's not necessary then it's probably in there to serve an ulterior motive. I personally don't want more launchers, and I avoid EA/Ubi/Rockstar/EGS because of it.
This grown man wants his exclusives.
It's not corporate at all. I already explained it to you.
You saying I have a autistic spectrum disorder? Or is it that you are just to dense to understand?

But... why? It's a single-player game.

Lots of reasons why Sony might want to do this.

• Data
    • Knowing if existing PSN accounts registered against PS3, PS4, and PS5 are playing these games or new accounts created on PC for the first time
    • Allows them to track whether or not someone is double dipping
    • Allows them to track whether any PC registered accounts end up registering on a PS5 in the future
  • Security
    • Allows Sony to ban players who are toxic across games
    • Probably allows Sony better visibility into whether the game has been pirated by cross checking steam purchase
      • If Sony doesn't see a purchase in a qualified store, the game doesn't play
  • Standardization
    • By requiring it for all games, you make it clear that it's a requirement and the push back will die down
    • People with PSN accounts will be more likely willing to jump ship to a PS PC Launcher/Storefront, especially if games end up exclusive or timed exclusive over there
    • Making exceptions just creates additional confusion and prevents accurate metrics

hemo memo

Gold Member
Show me the receipt for "so many people complaining about EA or Ubi too". I'm waiting.
Anyway, you did not read. One last attempt: the account linking will work from day one with GOWR, without people getting access to the game without an account AND THEN making it mandatory. This is a totally different situation.

I mean I don't get what's so hard to understand, unless you're being disingenuous.
How many time do we need to repeat this? Okay one more time for the low IQ. PSN account linking is not what caused the outrage. Making people buy the game and later decided to flip the switch and say the game you’ve bought you’ll not be able to play as we don’t support your region is.

Account linking sucks but now you know what you’re getting into, as opposite to what happened in Helldivers 2.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I personally don't mind the PSN thing, I did it ages ago with Spider-Man. The only major drawback for users would be those in countries that don't have PSN support.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Like you ever cared about gaming in those countries.

For many years many games and services weren't available in certain countries.

It's a problem now because PlayStation.

Its a problem now because it affects me.
I dont think any other major release has ever affected me playing a game even if I lived in a region not officially supported by the company.
Region locking PC games and locking out 100s of countries wasnt a thing......so yeah its a problem now.

FMOi0Lv.png

But we are Sith.

Ijh2VuN.png

main-qimg-3fa73ec7be19b84586aa66153e98dc98

We shouldnt have to do unnatural acts just to play a game.

So what?
Make a account over vpn and that's it

The PSN account isnt actually the issue(for me), because you can literally make an account from any region.
Its that Steam doesnt allow you to then activate and play the game in delisted regions..................unless.

I dont think any other major release has ever affected me playing a game even if I lived in a region not officially supported by the company.
Region locking PC games and locking out 100s of countries wasnt a thing......so yeah its a problem now.

FMOi0Lv.png

I always thought those countries were just a myth. Are you telling me you actually exist?

Mithos

Just picking another region gets around it.
Lots of people have multiple region accounts already.
I do too.
But I would NEVER spend any money on them because they are against TOS, any PSN account that's not in my region is for free stuff only, I would also NEVER link those accounts to any other accounts.

Since the HD2 farce I know that Sony has to expand in a lot of countries, probably a lot of countries that are not very important right now, but exactly for this reason a potential growth space.
But also shows how much the Arrowhead CEO fucked up. Sony wanted to have this rule and that mp game fucked up and put the spotlight on a perceived policy reversal that he basically fabricated. Now sp games get more bad press, since of course everyone asks why they need some online shit and joining a bandwagon is modern journalism and hivemind.
Similar story as with CS and HL I suppose, but Valve has fought and won the battle already and Sony is just very late to this party.

Killjoy-NL

FMOi0Lv.png

But we are Sith.

Ijh2VuN.png

main-qimg-3fa73ec7be19b84586aa66153e98dc98

We shouldnt have to do unnatural acts just to play a game.

The PSN account isnt actually the issue(for me), because you can literally make an account from any region.
Its that Steam doesnt allow you to then activate and play the game in delisted regions..................unless.
So you live in a supported country but can't buy the game? Why?

And it's easily solved by buying a Playstation, btw.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just picking another region gets around it.
Lots of people have multiple region accounts already.
The PSN account itself doesnt restrict you registering from anywhere.
But Sony delists the game in countries it doesnt officially support.
So you cant purchase or activate the game if Steam detects you are from a delisted region.

I always thought those countries were just a myth. Are you telling me you actually exist?
Ive lived on every continent sans Antarctica....my ass too black for that shit.
Lo and behold im now "stuck" in an unsupported region by Sony titles.
My stint is almost over here and Asia is calling, decisions decisions.

So you live in a supported country but can't buy the game? Why?

Mate.
I dont live in a supported country, as the first screenshot shows, so I cant officially buy or activate the game.
I just so happen to be a Sith so some unnatural acts let me circumvent the region lock.
Not everyone has the same privilege and I honestly would rather just do it the easy way.

And it's easily solved by buying a Playstation, btw.

main-qimg-c3235fe95d1844822834c5f0c9937166

Killjoy-NL

Mate.
I dont live in a supported country, as the first screenshot shows, so I cant officially buy or activate the game.
I just so happen to be a Sith so some unnatural acts let me circumvent the region lock.
Not everyone has the same privilege and I honestly would rather just do it the easy way.
In that case, you're the rare person on Gaf that has a right to complain about this and you can disregard any comment I made towards you, as you're criticism is valid.

Laptop1991

I already don't do this with Ubisoft games when i have to use Ubisoft connect and Steam to play on Steam, as i don't want more than one launcher or client running to play 1 game, so i'm not going to do it to play the odd Sony game i may be interested in either, so yeah it's a deal breaker for me, as it turns out, i'm only interested in Ghosts of Tsushima at the minute, and don't want to play GOW Ragnorak anyway, so it won't affect me, some PC gamers may do it, but i think most that don't mind already have a PSN account anyway so it doesn't bother them, but i won't and i don't think this tactic will work in high numbers personally, too many launchers accounts and clients, that's why i like GOG, which i can play offline like the old days if i choose to.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I already own the game digitally on ps5.. so it is tied to my account. That means I get the pc version for free since they want me to use that account right Sony? .. right?

Who the truck cares? You input your information just about everywhere, but this is the last drop?
PC gamers should just own the fact that they're either stubborn, hate Sony or just can't be bothered creating a PSN account. Don't why they're pretending to care about the lack of PSN availability in other countries or privacy concerns all of a sudden. It's okay to say "I have too many online accounts already". Don't know why they're being weird about it.

Whatever, I have way too many games to play that don't require extra accounts and logins (currently replaying OoT, then the Boltgun DLC in a few weeks, Visions of Mana "this summer", Space Marine 2 in September, and a Switch backlog longer than I would admit) to bother with that crap anyway.

StereoVsn

I think it's dumb for single player titles, but I can see why they're doing it.

They not only want to boost their MAU but they want to track their activities as well.

- How many PC players own Playstation consoles
- How many users are purchasing the game twice.
- How many players do not own a PS console.

And more...

It's valuable data.

People didn't like the PSN requirement for GoT and it ended up being their biggest single player game on Steam to date. And to be fair, it was only for the online mode.

Sony is expecting this to blow over.

If God of War Ragnarok performs well then it might not be an issue a year from now.
I still think this is dumb for SP games. They are losing sales in over 100 countries. That includes China. And even if the other countries don’t sell much individually, it still adds up.

Plus the move is still annoying a portion of PC audience. I think it’s a shortsighted move. Especially since there are no benefits to the customers from this. They could have at least done cross-save or something else to entice folks.

Soodanim

This grown man wants his exclusives.
It's not corporate at all. I already explained it to you.
You saying I have an autistic spectrum disorder? Or is it that you are just to dense to understand?
You didn't explain anything. I asked 3 specific questions and you said "exclusives=identity". That's not an answer for why anyone not affiliated with a company should care.

Why do YOU care?

Top Bottom