• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

Filben

But... why? It's a single-player game.
For the consumer: PlayStation services like trophies, friend list, seeing who plays what, etc.
For Sony: data, control, growth and engagement of network members.

The implications are speculative but possible outcomes nonetheless. They could deny you access to games, either by mistake or willful, e. g. if you break the TOS or because licence agreements change and/or you don't agree with the changes. For online games they could require your account having PlayStation Essential even on PC. A security breach could mean your data is compromised as well even if you play on PC only.

For critics of this service it's just another layer of security risks and control. PC users are historically critical of such things because they are used to much greater control over their data, environment, how the OS behaves, how they want to run their games etc. There are people who wouldn't touch Windows with pliers and prefer Linux for gaming. It's a spectrum and Sony's idea is pushing it towards a mostly unwanted direction of that spectrum.

spons

Gold Member
Watch it being cracked within nanoseconds, with the pirates having no tracking of user data and forced external accounts, and the paying consumers being shafted by bullshit.
Any company publishing games should ask itself whether pirates have the better deal. If yes, fix it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Who the truck cares? You input your information just about everywhere, but this is the last drop?

Ive got a PSN account.
But Sony has delisted the game.
So I care.

FMOi0Lv.png

Wunray

The problem isn't making an account, for people like me, we can't even buy it. This move is dumb idk why Sony is doing this.

Black_Stride

I'm pretty sure most of the countries that don't have PSN have bigger problems than that as well btw.

Thats incredibly reductive, especially for a post on a gaming forum.
Pretty sure PSN isnt a priority for any country regardless of whether its supported or not.

Black_Stride

Any game can be delisted if the publisher wants. Get a console + disc if you want to avoid digital license issues.

We arent talking about any game, we are talking about Sony published titles going forward......the number of major titles that get delisted for arbitrary reasons is going to be filled with Sony titles.
So might as well make a stink so they consider changing their policy (of delisting).

Get a console?
But then id have to play on console?
dacekgd.png

MH3M3D

We arent talking about any game, we are talking about Sony published titles going forward......the number of major titles that get delisted for arbitrary reasons is going to be filled with Sony titles.
So might as well make a stink so they consider changing their policy (of delisting).

Get a console?
But then id have to play on console?
dacekgd.png
Didnt they just delist to add the PSN requirement? They made it mandatory from day 1 going forward for all their games. But do you know theres a way to avoid different launchers and accounts? CONSOLES!! Just 1 account to play all the games you want!

Black_Stride

Didnt they just delist to add the PSN requirement? They made it mandatory from day 1 going forward for all their games.

HellDivers 2 was delisted then never came back.
Ragnarok and Until Dawn were just never listed in those regions.

They simply need to remove the need for official PSN support in that region, they can have a mandatory account bullshit for one time activation, but needing to be in an official region doesnt make sense.
No other account asks for that, why should they?

But do you know theres a way to avoid different launchers and accounts? CONSOLES!! Just 1 account to play all the games you want!

Go back to console gaming....no launchers, one account, "all the games"...........

28HGliE.gif[

Perrott

Yeah just give your data away for free for no reason, you dumb fucks.
I find it really hard to believe that any consumer of traditional videogames has not interacted in any way, shape or form with the PlayStation - or Xbox, or even Nintendo - ecosystems over the past 20 years of the industry having network services on consoles, for the console manufacturers (yes, three of the I'd say four companies that constitute the traditional videogames industry as a whole, not some random Chinese start-up with ties to their shady government) to not have your data* already.

*Data that isn't valuable or worth being a bitch about to begin with, and that I'm pretty certain you've already given at some point in your life to much more questionable entities - Meta, Amazon, Google - than... the company that makes the PlayStation videogame console - or any other videogame hardware for that matter.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is probably one of the reasons Sony is releasing games to PC in the first place.

Honestly I don’t love it but it’s not the end of the world to me personally.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
EA requiring a login on Steam Games - Fine.
Ubisoft requiring a login - Fine.
Microsoft now requiring an account for their first party games - fine.

giphy.gif

Sony requiring a login...
giphy.gif

The funny thing is that the PSN login is about as unintrusive a login as I have seen.

Last edited:

Gp1

I called the fbi and told about you

Advocating piracy? Shame on you, sir.

I couldn't care less buddy. I advocate on better business practices with my wallet.

Shame on the company that excludes more than half of the globe.

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

T4keD0wN

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The funny thing is that the PSN login is about as unintrusive a login as I have seen.
The issue is not the login, the issue is the lack of capability to even buy the game in the first place which completely precedes the login part, cant even get to the login part if youre one of the 2.5 billion of people which live in the countries where its unavailable for purchase.

Last edited:

Braag

Nooo, how are my mates in Zambia gonna play this now :messenger_loudly_crying:

Seriously though, PSN should broaden up at least a bit. 121 countries is a lot, despite being small markets. I was surprised to see Estonia in the list, I know it's a small country, but a lot of them that I've met have been into gaming, PC mostly though.

S0ULZB0URNE

You didn't explain anything. I asked 3 specific questions and you said "exclusives=identity". That's not an answer for why anyone not affiliated with a company should care.

Why do YOU care?
Because I am the consumer.
I don't want exclusives of brands/products I buy going elsewhere.

The bigger issue is anyone who won't spend $400 for a console to play these games but will spend thousands on PC builds.

Thankfully this type is a very small minority who only bark loudly in game forums.

The PSN account itself doesnt restrict you registering from anywhere.
But Sony delists the game in countries it doesnt officially support.
So you cant purchase or activate the game if Steam detects you are from a delisted region.

Ive lived on every continent sans Antarctica....my ass too black for that shit.
Lo and behold im now "stuck" in an unsupported region by Sony titles.
My stint is almost over here and Asia is calling, decisions decisions.

Mate.
I dont live in a supported country, as the first screenshot shows, so I cant officially buy or activate the game.
I just so happen to be a Sith so some unnatural acts let me circumvent the region lock.
Not everyone has the same privilege and I honestly would rather just do it the easy way.

main-qimg-c3235fe95d1844822834c5f0c9937166
Sad

Roxkis_ii

As a gaming laptop owner, I am simply appalled by this decision and will be protesting by not spending money on this game!

devilish-grin.gif

Reactions: Gp1

Soodanim

The bigger issue is anyone who won't spend $400 for a console to play these games but will spend thousands on PC builds.

Thankfully this type is a very small minority who only bark loudly in game forums.
Why is it an issue that not all people want consoles?

Sleepwalker

I couldn't care less buddy. I advocate on better business practices with my wallet.

Shame on the company that excludes more than half of the globe.

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

That's all fine and dandy but if you want to steal the game go ahead and do it without the grandstanding. Your decent option is to not buy it and not steal it if you disagree with their policies.

I don't like iPhones so I vote with my wallet by not buying iPhones. Not by robbing an apple store.

Last edited:
The issue is not the login, the issue is the lack of capability to even buy the game in the first place which completely precedes the login part, cant even get to the login part if youre one of the 2.5 billion of people which live in the countries where its unavailable for purchase.
Even before HD2 was delisted from all these countries, everybody on Steam was freaking out over the login to PSN. Don't act like it is not the main issue. Yes, 2.5 billion sounds like a lot of people, but I bet they account for less than 5% of steam sales.

People acting all high and mighty that its about the people who can't play the game, which in reality, its so you don't have to login to a PSN that takes 2min to create

T4keD0wN

Even before HD2 was delisted from all these countries, everybody on Steam was freaking out over the login to PSN. Don't act like it is not the main issue. Yes, 2.5 billion sounds like a lot of people, but I bet they account for less than 5% of steam sales.

People acting all high and mighty that its about the people who can't play the game, which in reality, its so you don't have to login to a PSN that takes 2min to create
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Those 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Please keep in mind that its very unlikely to see people complaining about that stuff on an english forum since most of those countries use completely different languages and sites, not to mention that given that the game is completely hidden for them so they might not even be aware of it, so dont form a warped viewpoint just because you see people on english sites who are not affected only complaining about a small login nuisance, the only part that actually affects them and even if it was just a few people, so what? It wont hurt if theyre able to buy the new Sony games just like they could until very recently.

Last edited:

Gp1

That's all fine and dandy but if you want to steal the game go ahead and do it without the grandstanding. Your decent option is to not buy it and not steal it if you disagree with their policies.

I don't like iPhones so I vote with my wallet by not buying iPhones. Not by robbing an apple store.

And their decent option would be not requiring a psn account as a form of DRM for a single player game. Loved your "you wouldn't download a car argument" by the way.

I may buy the game at launch on Steam, wait for a hefty discount, GoG version maybe like Uncharted

The thing is... I have the option to do this but some don't and their only value offer may be "stealing the Apple Store".

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

We don't only game on our PC. Also can I play Total War games, Age of Empires, HL Alyx, Rimworld etc etc... on consoles? Can I emulate the Dreamcast/N64/PS2/PS3 on consoles? Can I use the controller of my choice on consoles rather it is M+K or DS4 or Xbox controller? Can I customize 99% of my games with mods to better fit my liking if I want to? Can I play all games maxed out with 144Hz/FPS on consoles? And I'm not talking about one or two small games. I'm talking about every single game.

If you are fine with playing on console it's ok, no need to throw shit to other people who like different things.

Why do you have to log into steam for single player games?
🥸
To download it? And once it's done you can switch to offline mode and never be bothered again if you want to. So just like on consoles. Not to mention that Steam offer A LOT of cool features like family sharing, cloud saves, workshop etc etc... What am I getting for logging in to the PSN. Trophies? It's already there on Steam. Friend list? Same. So what's the point?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Are You Stupid Antoine Dodson GIF

Tell me you can't read without telling me you can't read.

Sleepwalker

And their decent option would be not requiring a psn account as a form of DRM for a single player game. Loved your "you wouldn't download a car argument" by the way.

I may buy the game at launch on Steam, wait for a hefty discount, GoG version maybe like Uncharted, piracy, etc.

The thing is... I have the option to do this but some don't and their only value offer may be "stealing the Apple Store".
You are clearly not one of those people as you said. Those people are in a different situation.

And I'm not defending Sony, I won't buy their games on PC either and don't agree with this move but I'm not trying to justify pirating their shit because of a moral crusade. You do you though 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Pejo

I personally don't have a problem with this. At least they set the expectation early and didn't turn it on a few months into the game. The worst part is that this limits the sale of the game to territories officially supported by PSN unless you use a VPN.

Anyways, I hope they do something cool with the feature like cross-platform progress or whatever besides just syphoning off player data.

Let the 'PC Master race' keep crying. The same bunch who don't want 'snowflakes and wokeism' in their games, are also being incredibly woke & pathetic about an account registration. 🤣

Black_Stride

Let the 'PC Master race' keep crying. The same bunch who don't want 'snowflakes and wokeism' in their games, are also being incredibly woke & pathetic about an account registration. 🤣

Are you okay mate?
PC gamers almost never complain about wokeism because if they dont like thing, they just mod it.

Think The Last of Us would be better as an FPS?
Go for it.
TLOU-1st-Person-scaled.jpg

Miss the Julia Voth Face?
Why not:
maxresdefault.jpg

Like them in the heavyweight division?
We dont judge:
fd684c8c23b6ec29d4ed8a3716dfac9cb6d0d06a.jpeg

So if theres anything "woke" in a game the chances of PC gamers complaining about it, is slim cuz theyll just sort it out.
Though complaining about wokeism in the first place is the biggest snowflake move.

Im not even complaining about account registration as much as im complaining that with the PSN requirement, you must be in a region officially supported by PSN to activate the game......so instead of Sony just removing the region lock, they decided the logical thing would be to instead delist the game anywhere they dont officially support.

FMOi0Lv.png

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
If you really want to play this (I don't get why, tho), just buy it and then get the Repack by FitGirl et al that removes this shit.

Black_Stride

If you really want to play this (I don't get why, tho), just buy it and then get the Repack by FitGirl et al that removes this shit.

Its delisted due to PSN requirment............so we cant even see the store page to purchase it......and even if we purchased a CDKey Steam wont activate it.

DrFigs

This is for investors who are easily impressed by big numbers, like mau even if they dont actually mean more money

Last edited:
Top Bottom