• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 PSVR2 Hands-On Impressions

They need to put VR kiosks in Bestbuys and Gamestops. Thats what sold me PSVR back in 2016. I need to see GT7 running in vr or im going to pass.

quote inception GIF

mortal

Gold Member
Holy shit. GT7 VR is about the change the destiny of VR. Mark my word. It's a game changer for VR.
Hell, I think full VR support is a game changer for Gran Turismo going forward.
I can see the potential with future iterations of Gran Turismo VR being the ideal way to play.

There is nothing more convincing than experiencing it firsthand. VR really can't be fully appreciated just passively witnessing.

Last edited:

Romulus

I don't understand why people are surprised honestly. Any competent racing game ported to VR is superior. Psvr2 is the next level of VR in many ways so yeah. This is going to feel like a legitimate next gen console experience for new VR users, like 1990s levels of leaps forward. Hell even psvr1 felt like the first time playing n64. Psvr2 is miles better in every way than psvr1.

Sony told Ryan from. IGN it's 120fps. Not sure if that's reprojection or not but it will feel smooth as butter. Probably more like 90fps native.

Last edited:

NickFire

IGN hype coming right on the heels of the false Bloomberg report. When AAA companies say jump, IGN gets on its knees and starts sucking.
Are you paying attention as to the specific people at IGN who are praising this tech???

It might not be exactly the same as if Phil was praising it, but it isn't far off IMO.

kyliethicc

I don't understand why people are surprised honestly. Any competent racing game ported to VR is superior. Psvr2 is the next level of VR in many ways so yeah. This is going to feel like a legitimate next gen console experience for new VR users, like 1990s levels of leaps forward

Sony told Ryan from. IGN it's 120fps. Not sure if that's reproduction or not but it feel definitely feel smooth as butter.
wouldn't surprise me if its running at 120 fps due to foveated rendering & eye tracking allowing most of the game to be lower res until it needs to be higher

PS5 can run the game at 2160p 60 fps
so ~ 1080p 120 fps should be doable (with the area you're looking at being higher res of course)

Danknugz

wouldn't surprise me if its running at 120 fps due to foveated rendering & eye tracking allowing most of the game to be lower res until it needs to be higher

PS5 can run the game at 2160p 60 fps
so ~ 1080p 120 fps should be doable (with the area you're looking at being higher res of course)
if it were running fovested rendering and eye tracking in this game i'm sure we would have heard of it by now

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
quick notes

full game (except local split screen obviously)
every mode, car, track, online, full AI, full dynamic weather, etc
play with dualsense or wheel, not sense controllers
new VR exclusive showroom mode to look at cars
foveated rendering eye tracking
4K HDR 120 hz
oh man.
I am starting to feel some small hype.
I do have the money.... but it would empty my budget :p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Didnt go through. it let me order but immediately cancelled due to 'returns violation'. they are probably mass cancelling these orders lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

kyliethicc

if it were running fovested rendering and eye tracking in this game i'm sure we would have heard of it by now
lol

we have

it is

in gt7 though? i thought that was just a rumour.
watch listen

read

"PSVR2 has eye-tracking, so it knows exactly what you are looking at on the screen. This means it only has to render a small area in full detail. Everything in your peripheral vision is rendered in a lower resolution, which focuses the console’s processing power on what actually matters.

This process is called “foveated rendering”, and it works so well while you are actually using the PSVR2 that you would never even know it’s happening. It’s impossible to look at a lower resolution area because the headset detects your eyes have moved and updates the new focus area in milliseconds.

That’s amazing, but when you export that frame to a “flat” image that you see on a regular computer screen or phone, those lower-resolution areas are now visible.

So, when you’re looking at these screenshots and this gameplay footage, keep in mind that’s not what the experience of playing it actually looked like. VR is a unique thing, and unfortunately there’s really just no good way to show what it really looks like unless you can try a headset on and experience yourself, so just keep this in mind as we continue.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Several previews have specifically mentioned foveated rendering in GT7 so im guessing the Sony PR guys were parroting it during the preview event.

The fact that its full 4k 120 fps means they were able to get some extra performance out of the PS5. The downgrade in the videos doesnt seem to be that massive compared to the PS5 version.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Several previews have specifically mentioned foveated rendering in GT7 so im guessing the Sony PR guys were parroting it during the preview event.

The fact that its full 4k 120 fps means they were able to get some extra performance out of the PS5. The downgrade in the videos doesnt seem to be that massive compared to the PS5 version.
It was in PlayStation's blog post. And you can see it in the videos when people captured stills at different points where the rendering was at the time (it was moving around based on eye/head tracking).

Last edited:

Danknugz

What do you mean?
they didn't give any details on the implementation or performance improvements before/after, and with racing games features like this have a history of being relegated to only certain modes like photo mode in forza only supporting rtx etc. not saying it's the case because i don't know, and i think it's awesome if they did manage to achieve a significant performance increase in the actual racing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
they didn't give any details on the implementation or performance improvements before/after, and with racing games features like this have a history of being relegated to only certain modes like photo mode in forza only supporting rtx etc. not saying it's the case because i don't know, and i think it's awesome if they did manage to achieve a significant performance increase in the actual racing.
This is during gameplay. That is how they are able to keep such great fidelity/performance on what you are focused on with your eyes, and reduce the detail in your peripheral which won't be noticed.

You don't need foveated eye tracking for photo modes.

Danknugz

This is during gameplay. That is how they are able to keep such great fidelity/performance on what you are focused on with your eyes, and reduce the detail in your peripheral which won't be noticed.

You don't need foveated eye tracking for photo modes.
i understand how it works, it's promising for other headsets moving forward but would still be nice to know the actual performance gain such as fps before / after foveated rendering because this has been a highly discussed topic in VR in the past few years.

you might not need it for photo mode but there's nothing stopping them from using it there and anywhere else. developers have a tendency to be kind of smoke and mirrors about new features like this, it's not just sony but MS too.

i understand how it works, it's promising for other headsets moving forward but would still be nice to know the actual performance gain such as fps before / after foveated rendering because this has been a highly discussed topic in VR in the past few years.

you might not need it for photo mode but there's nothing stopping them from using it there and anywhere else. developers have a tendency to be kind of smoke and mirrors about new features like this, it's not just sony but MS too.
I understand the Concern TM, but pictures have been released with the foveated rendering working. You can clearly notice that where the guy is not looking, you see artifacts. And where he is looking looks pin sharp.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone who thinks this launch is not strong is in denial. If alyx is the 1 game in it's class of production value, psvr2 is about to add 3 more on launch day.
If GT is among those why do the several high quality PC VR race rims, from Automobilista 2 to F1 2022, not count? And if sim racing counts why not sim flying etc., to add even more on that count with the likes of Microsoft Flight Sim and DCS? Would that only count if it was Sony FS/on PSVR2?

Last edited:

Crayon

If GT is among those why do the several high quality PC VR sims/racers, from Automobilista 2 to F1 2023, not count? And if sim racing counts why not sim flying etc., to add even more on that count with the likes of Microsoft Flight Sim and DCS? Would that only count if it was Sony FS/on PSVR2?

Good point. The only reason GT would stand apart would be the pedigree/popularity/sales and not the quality of the game since there are other simulators right up there. So nice simulators are actually the majority of AAA vr games.

kyliethicc

"Gran Turismo 7 uses the PSVR2’s eye-tracking system to deliver foveated rendering.

Upon completion of a brief eye-tracking setup procedure, reminiscent of an optician’s appointment, the game will be able to follow your eyes. This means, the processing power is allocated to what you’re looking at, and not as much in the peripheries.

In this application, during a brief hands-on preview, the effect is so subtle and you’re so focussed on the racing, that any changes in periphery resolution are negligible."

coffinbirth

Anyone who thinks this launch is not strong is in denial. If alyx is the 1 game in it's class of production value, psvr2 is about to add 3 more on launch day.
I don't think the launch lineup is bad by any stretch, but the price barrier is problematic and makes it hard to see this being successful enough to warrant devs investing beyond older ports or even Sony themselves supporting it PROPERLY. Hope I'm wrong though.

The Alyx situation is quite a bit different though, as that game is (without mods) locked to a VR platform, and was the first entry in the series in fucking forever. Hype factor alone took a giant shit all over absolutely everything else in the space, if you'll recall.

That being said, I don't think it's "system sellers" that actually matter in this space so much as a robust enough library to warrant the investment. Sure, GT7 is obviously great, but IMO, stuff like Moss and Astro Bot are why I bought a PSVR, and likely why I'd buy PT.2: Foveated Boogaloo.

Crayon

I don't think the launch lineup is bad by any stretch, but the price barrier is problematic and makes it hard to see this being successful enough to warrant devs investing beyond older ports or even Sony themselves supporting it PROPERLY. Hope I'm wrong though.

The Alyx situation is quite a bit different though, as that game is (without mods) locked to a VR platform, and was the first entry in the series in fucking forever. Hype factor alone took a giant shit all over absolutely everything else in the space, if you'll recall.

That being said, I don't think it's "system sellers" that actually matter in this space so much as a robust enough library to warrant the investment. Sure, GT7 is obviously great, but IMO, stuff like Moss and Astro Bot are why I bought a PSVR, and likely why I'd buy PT.2: Foveated Boogaloo.

I still think a big success is like 8 million lifetime. There's no way they are hoping for 15, 20, etc.. As far as sony support, AAA-grade VR is basically completely on them and they likely know that, too. They need to either make the games themselves or pony up like they did with RE8. The launch is strong but I hope they have a plan to keep it fed on a relatively small userbase. All we know now is that the launch is good and early adopters ony have faith to go on from there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom