• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Banned
Yeah but games are interactive and unlike movies 24fps isn't enough, and this game drops to framerate like that.

Different developers can do such things, HFW runs above 60FPS and some people may say that it looks better than DD2.

30 is fine. Stop snobbing and you will be happier or get a pc.
24 is just for occasional drops. Stuff exploding etc. You won’t be thinking about controls :p

I replayed earth defense force 2017 on Xbox 360 in split screen with a friend few years ago.
That’s the worst performance I’ve ever seen. Very often in single digits for a hole fights. Game crawls. And it’s 60fps with double buffered vsync. It’s never 60 and it’s basically never even 30 lol.
And guess what? We never had such a good time lol.

bbeach123

The volumetric lighting and bloom remind me of rdr2 , very atmospheric and beautiful . I wonder how FF7 rebirth look if it have this kind of lighting .

GymWolf

Gold Member
Incredible animations. This might not look next Gen but it sure feels next Gen. Hfw and avatar might prettier while flying but the scale here is simply amazing.
We finally reached china ladies and gentleman.

What is the next step? Falling from the planet?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Those look atrocious. Didnt realize these games had such poor asset quality on consoles. Im surprised DF never mentioned it.
Remember when i told you that the ground textures in avatar were atrocious and you denied?

Never doubt me when it comes to spot low res assets, i'm a fucking hunter for that.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
24 is just for occasional drops. Stuff exploding etc. You won’t be thinking about controls :p

I replayed earth defense force 2017 on Xbox 360 in split screen with a friend few years ago.
That’s the worst performance I’ve ever seen. Very often in single digits for a hole fights. Game crawls. And it’s 60fps with double buffered vsync. It’s never 60 and it’s basically never even 30 lol.
Rofif my man, not enjoying 30fps is not snobbery, it's merely sensitivity to inferior outputs. You're just gonna have to accept some people much prefer higher framerates unlike you.

Us fake gamers have to stick together you know

Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Bojji

This game drops frames exactly when they are needed, in fights requiring inputs from the players. Performance setup is absolutely terrible, 31FPS AVERAGE for game with unlocked framerate is terrible because there have to be massive drops to achieve that, console games that are 30FPS locked run mostly in 35FPS or above to not have drops. If they are using RT like someone suggested they really fucked themselves in the ass, without it they could easily aim for 60FPS, RT on RDNA2 can half framerate (or more).

So far this game looks like incompetent job, just like DD1 on PS3 and 360, they don't give a single fuck about performance. 30FPS with good motion blur and low input lag can be playable but this game is absolutely not there (so far, we will see at launch).

Quezacolt

If they are using RT like someone suggested they really fucked themselves in the ass, without it they could easily aim for 60FPS, RT on RDNA2 can half framerate (or more).
the pc version requeriments mention RT, so i guess it´s always on in the console versions.
capcom has been adding RT to their games since DMC5 was released to current gen

yamaci17

This game drops frames exactly when they are needed, in fights requiring inputs from the players. Performance setup is absolutely terrible, 31FPS AVERAGE for game with unlocked framerate is terrible because there have to be massive drops to achieve that, console games that are 30FPS locked run mostly in 35FPS or above to not have drops. If they are using RT like someone suggested they really fucked themselves in the ass, without it they could easily aim for 60FPS, RT on RDNA2 can half framerate (or more).

So far this game looks like incompetent job, just like DD1 on PS3 and 360, they don't give a single fuck about performance. 30FPS with good motion blur and low input lag can be playable but this game is absolutely not there (so far, we will see at launch).
he literally told you game dropped to single digits in actual fights so he covered that base lol. dont try to argue with him

since his comments about how no one should play/target 1080p with run off the mill 2060 super and "you should make PC worthwhile, otherwise it is pointless" comments I cannot take him serious in these discussions. if it is on console, it can ran at 500p, drop to single digits FPS but they can have the time of their life. but no one can "just enjoy" gaming at 1080p/60 fps on pc with a budget GPU. how dare someone use something like 2060 super when ps5 exists? its gotta be 3080 or higher or bust.

for him, ps5's 4k/30 fps mode is superior to someone enjoying a game at 1080p/150 fps

but also, if ps5 drops to 500p 20 fps, it will be no problem.

there simply is no coherency with their arguments when it comes to pc/ps5.

Last edited:

Bojji

the pc version requeriments mention RT, so i guess it´s always on in the console versions.
capcom has been adding RT to their games since DMC5 was released to current gen

Yeah but it was optional, forcing those poor consoles (and players to suffer) to do RT is not very wise.

he literally told you game dropped to single digits in actual fights so he covered that base lol. dont try to argue with him

since his comments about how no one should play/target 1080p with run off the mill 2060 super and "you should make PC worthwhile, otherwise it is pointless" comments I cannot take him serious in these discussions. if it is on console, it can ran at 500p, drop to single digits FPS but they can have the time of their life. but no one can "just enjoy" gaming at 1080p/60 fps on pc with a budget GPU. how dare someone use something like 2060 super when ps5 exists? its gotta be 3080 or higher or bust.

for him, ps5's 4k/30 fps mode is superior to someone enjoying a game at 1080p/150 fps

but also, if ps5 drops to 500p 20 fps, it will be no problem.

there simply is no coherency with their arguments when it comes to pc/ps5.

Yeah I don't get that mentality of "just enjoy what they give you", with that we would still be working just like victorian era workers (up to 14 hours a day, six days a week).

Developers often make dumbfuck decisions and I don't have to like them, of course if I'm interested in the game and there is PC version then I will gladly choose that and make my own performance profile.

But there are games where there is no PC version and I have to suffer because some motherfuckers thought that 30fps target with both resolution and framerate drops is a good decision (FFXVI).

I'm not interested in DD2 but I don't think that majority of console players will like this atrocious unlocked 30FPS that barely exceeds that in average. Developers aren't "always right", Jedi devs finally admitted their mistake after few month and removed RT from performance mode, and this could have been done done day 1 but they were too stubborn/stupid.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Yeah but it was optional, forcing those poor consoles (and players to suffer) to do RT is not very wise.
game will probably look odd without ray tracing like jedi survivor does

some of these devs have actually started to use what ray tracing was meant for actually: letting developers skip a lot of raster optimizations/works they have to do. in jedi survivor's case, you have to live with cal's hair becoming glowy orange whenever you're open in the sun. it looked so horrible that even I had to force myself to enable ray tracing despite getting unstable %1 lows. also ssr artifacts in that game was something fierce.

sadly we're nearing times where "disable ray tracing" will come with graphical errors and artifacts and glitches. this could be one of those cases. it is also why they probably are so adamant on forcing ray tracing at all costs.

but at least they did fix cal's hair thing.

6BtSxTg.png

at some point they will take big shortcuts with ray tracing that falling back to rasterization will probably require years of optimization... but of course they won't do that.

it is why I kind of hoped for consoles to not bring any ray tracing at all to the mix. so that developers would be forced to optimize rasterization for graphical coherency. but now they don't have to. especially considering people will keep buying these games.

it is just how rasterization is anyways. it needs special tricks and tweaks to stay relevant. it is why ray tracing is the future. at some point you have to automate certain stuff to go forward and give more time to other departments of graphics/optimization/gameplay etc. in this case however it is clear that both jedi survivor and dragon dogma 2 used it to speed up the development. some devs will use the extra time they have gotten from ray tracing to improve other aspects of the game/graphics. but I guess we will see those titles at the end of the generation.

Funny part is though it is actually an extreme CPU limitation. for GPU they could always reduce the resolution more aggresively to attain that perfect 30 FPS lock. they can't because:

not only framerate avg. cannot go beyond 30 fps. or so, it consistently drops frames like ps5 does in jedi survivor and dragons dogma 2. if they could get decent %1 lows on lowend CPUs with their ray tracing implementation they probably would've gotten away with it.

But when this exists... you question how unoptimized the ray tracing cpu code has to be with jedi and dragons dogma 2. spiderman clearly does it better. and from my knowledge, you need the very same BVH for all kind of ray tracing effects. so technically spiderman would get similarly consistent and stable framerates with ray traced global illumination too.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Oh boy I´m kinda interested in DD2 at this point but the more I see of it the more it looks like I´ll absolute need some kind of demo or performance-benchmark before I´d consider buying it. This looks already rough on consoles, and I don`t have the biggest faith in capcom when it comes to PC optimization.

@rofifs usual "30 fps is fine and framedrops are cool, too. My dad/brother/dog agree with me"- nonsense :

Drugs Drogue GIF

Last edited:

yamaci17

Oh boy I´m kinda interested in DD2 at this point but the more I see of it the more it looks like I´ll absolute need some kind of demo or performance-benchmark before I´d consider buying it. This looks already rough on consoles, and I don`t have the biggest faith in capcom when it comes to PC optimization.

@rofifs usual "30 fps is fine and framedrops are cool, too. My dad/brother/dog agree with me nonsense" :

Drugs Drogue GIF
disabling ray tracing on pc will fix all the performance issues of the game. and if it looks semi decent without ray tracing, everyone will happily play the game and move on. developers will take 4-5 months to add rasterization performance mode to consoles and everyone will calm down

exact same story as jedi survivor. only question will be how severe artifacts and graphical errors will be. though most people wont care because this is a gameplay oriented game.

it is clearly severe enough for developers to adamantly force ray tracing on consoles. series s will probably run this game smoother than series x/ps5 because they will have to disable ray tracing for that console.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks nice but that ~31FPS average framerate : /
I thought you were being sarcastic at first.

The game will be 60 fps on PC which is where you will play it. 31 fps is retarded but if it ships with 30 fps capped, it will be fine. consoles cant do 60 fps in these massive RPGs. Starfield was the same way. Its fine. besides, this is a graphics fidelity thread. We are talking about graphics fidelity here and that looks remarkable.

Different developers can do such things, HFW runs above 60FPS and some people may say that it looks better than DD2.
Two completely different games. Horizon doesnt even let you shoot arrows when you are flying, let alone walk around giant flying beasts. HFW is a very basic last gen action adventure game with next gen visuals so they are likely not CPU bound like RPGs typically are.
Lol in a world where hfw run at 1440p60 and looks 3x times better that is not an excuse dude.
The 60 fps mode effectively runs at 1296p and looked like dog shit at launch for a good 5 months before they fixed it by completely rewriting their upscaling algorithm.

GymWolf

Gold Member

The game will be 60 fps on PC which is where you will play it. 31 fps is retarded but if it ships with 30 fps capped, it will be fine. consoles cant do 60 fps in these massive RPGs. Starfield was the same way. Its fine. besides, this is a graphics fidelity thread. We are talking about graphics fidelity here and that looks remarkable.

Two completely different games. Horizon doesnt even let you shoot arrows when you are flying, let alone walk around giant flying beasts. HFW is a very basic last gen action adventure game with next gen visuals so they are likely not CPU bound like RPGs typically are.

The 60 fps mode effectively runs at 1296p and looked like dog shit at launch for a good 5 months before they fixed it by completely rewriting their upscaling algorithm.
I was obviously talking about the final form of the perf mode.

Now it looks decently sharp with almost locked 60 fps.

Remember the game is a crossgen, they had to work on 2 consoles, dogma is fully nextgen, they have less excuse for fuck ups.

SlimySnake

Rofif my man, not enjoying 30fps is not snobbery, it's merely sensitivity to inferior outputs. You're just gonna have to accept some people much prefer higher framerates unlike you.

He is replying to a post that dismissed the incredible gif because the game ran at 30 fps. Sorry, you just cant do that. Especially when the game is on PC on day one and will easily run at 60 fps on better CPUs than the trash thats in consoles. Thats like dismissing the Matrix gifs because they ran at 30 fps on consoles with some drops to 25 fps.

I prefer higher framerates too. Thats why i spent nearly two grand on my PC at the start of the gen. It is inarguably the better experience. I just dont think we should be downplaying the few games that are doing some remarkable things just because they had to settle for 30 fps on consoles.

Remember the game is a crossgen, they had to work on 2 consoles, dogma is fully nextgen, they have less excuse for fuck ups.
Or they have an actual excuse where they are actually using the CPU to do shit HFW wasnt doing. The animation work on the griffon is astounding. The fact that you have full control over your character while flying is something we just havent seen since SOTC. The fact that its open world unlike SOTC is remarkable. These are things we didnt see in HFW or even Avatar. Sure, the game doesnt look as good but its still doing things those other games arent doing.

You and I both know the shortcuts HFW took. the 1v1 finales. The hilarious cutscene battle where the dinobots and alien robots fight and aloy just runs away. The ridiculously slow flying speeds. The complete lack of combat options in the air. It is a last gen game through and through which is why they are able to do 60 fps. There is not much going on under the hood.

yamaci17

8:52

guys guys, you see there's this amazing animation work. look at how his lightsaber glow. how he runs. amazing stuff that requires insane cpu load. of course it will run around 30 40 fp.

of course disabling ray tracing made it to lock to 60 but all I said was true!! this game has nextgen animations and cpu bound stuff. totally justified! it cannot be due to ray tracing! it is due to nextgen flying. oh sorry it is due nextgen running animations never seen before

bookmark his messages. in case developer lets go ray tracing and magically console gets a 60 fps lock output, I'd like to see what kind of "slimy" excuse he will then come up with.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
He is replying to a post that dismissed the incredible gif because the game ran at 30 fps. Sorry, you just cant do that. Especially when the game is on PC on day one and will easily run at 60 fps on better CPUs than the trash thats in consoles. Thats like dismissing the Matrix gifs because they ran at 30 fps on consoles with some drops to 25 fps.

I prefer higher framerates too. Thats why i spent nearly two grand on my PC at the start of the gen. It is inarguably the better experience. I just dont think we should be downplaying the few games that are doing some remarkable things just because they had to settle for 30 fps on consoles.

Or they have an actual excuse where they are actually using the CPU to do shit HFW wasnt doing. The animation work on the griffon is astounding. The fact that you have full control over your character while flying is something we just havent seen since SOTC. The fact that its open world unlike SOTC is remarkable. These are things we didnt see in HFW or even Avatar. Sure, the game doesnt look as good but its still doing things those other games arent doing.

You and I both know the shortcuts HFW took. the 1v1 finales. The hilarious cutscene battle where the dinobots and alien robots fight and aloy just runs away. The ridiculously slow flying speeds. The complete lack of combat options in the air. It is a last gen game through and through which is why they are able to do 60 fps. There is not much going on under the hood.
The fact that you notice the animations on the griffon but you never spoke about how incredibly well animated are the dinobots (all 50 of them) kinda make me think that you are very biased right now.

I'm pretty sure that animating a giant robo snake with a lot of moving parts is much more complicated and impressive than ani,atimg what is basically an horse with wings, sorry if after playing horizon (or stuff like monster hunter or even souls games), the animations in dogma2 doesn't move my dinky at all...

And we already had this discussion about the secret, super impressive underlying systems of dogma 2 that nobody has seen yet, i already explained you how all of what dogma2 does was already being done during ps3 era.
And fucking lol at grabbing and moving into an enemy being a reason for 30 fps...at the very best is a neat gameplay choice that really doesn't impact performance, and if they really lose performance just for the act of moving a character grabbed on a monster, then they really are a bunch of inept, and you know it.

Lmao if these are the underlying systems that kill the framerate i'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Remember when i told you that the ground textures in avatar were atrocious and you denied?

Never doubt me when it comes to spot low res assets, i'm a fucking hunter for that.
lol the ground is almost always covered with foliage. I honestly never saw it. I did record and post a video of the rocks on the ground for you IIRC. The rocks and pebbles were extremely highly detailed. Why would they use high res textures and waste their memory budget on shit that will be covered 99% of the time? You guys are like PC gamers looking at 1% lows instead of average framerates lmao. focus on the bigger picture.

HG5bf53.gif

AZ6eTG6.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol the ground is almost always covered with foliage. I honestly never saw it. I did record and post a video of the rocks on the ground for you IIRC. The rocks and pebbles were extremely highly detailed. Why would they use high res textures and waste their memory budget on shit that will be covered 99% of the time? You guys are like PC gamers looking at 1% lows instead of average framerates lmao. focus on the bigger picture.

HG5bf53.gif

AZ6eTG6.gif
Meh, i said multiple times that avatar has the best looking outdoors in the market, but it alzo has terrible ground textures here and there, one fact doesn't erase the other.

First person make difficult to ignore bad textures, you crouch a lot for stealth so you end up noticing the ground textures.

No need for gifs, i played the game with better settings than you (unless your 3080 go like my 4080) :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Last edited:

yamaci17

The fact that you notice the animations on the griffon but you never spoke about how incredibly well animated are the dinobots (all 50 of them) kinda make me think that you are very biased right now.

I'm pretty sure that animating a giant robo snake with a lot of moving parts is much more complicated and impressive than ani,atimg what is basically an horse with wings, sorry if after playing horizon (or stuff like monster hunter or even souls games), none of the animations in dogma2 doesn't move my dinky at all...

And we already had this discussion about the secret, super impressive underlying sustems of dogma 2 that nobosy as seen yet, i already explained you how all of what dogma2 does was already being done during ps3 era.
And fucking lol at grabbing and moving into an enemy being a reason for 30 fps...at the very best is a neat ameplay choice that really doesn't impact performance, andif they really lose performance just for the act of moving a character grabbedon a monster, then they really a bunch of inept, and you know it.

Lamo if these are the underlying systems that kill the framerate i'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off.
they're not trust me. if jedi survivor is any indication, it is just ray tracing being heavy on console CPUs and clogging all cache/single thread resources. jedi survivor went from being a game that was dropping to 20s with ray tracing (it just can't be gpu bound, no sense at all. far weaker GPUs on PC with powerful CPUs get much better resolution/framerate target than PS5/xbox series x) magically upgraded to a seamless rock solid 60 fps output

it is just blatant ray tracing implementation that probably hogs the limited cache of console CPUs. ray tracing on PC scales very well with cache amount.

"You guys are like PC gamers looking at 1% lows instead of average framerates lmao. focus on the bigger picture."

%1 lows are the one main reason many people question why their games does not feel smooth like it does on console. a game that has consistently has %1 lows to 30-40 fps range while average framerate is 70-80 will not really be that far from visually looking like a console game if your frames consistently are disrupted by 33.3 ms stalls. you will overall get responsive gameplay all the time, that is true, but that is not the whole picture. %1 lows are relevant and even more important than textures, but even then, wolf is right that texture quality is lacking and between the series s and 8 gb vram gpu spam, and even the budget ps5/sx has for nextgen games, texture improvements in this gen will be super lackluster anyways.

Last edited:

yamaci17

PS5 in resolution mode (performance mode disabled) uses a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 2346x1320 and the lowest resolution found being 1728x972. PS5 in resolution mode uses FSR 2 to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

this 22-24 fps thing is purely cpu limitation. exact same scene runs at a rock solid 60 fps without ray tracing.

VjBwcuL.png

rx 6600xt which is give or take near ps5's performance has no problem staying near 30 fps at NATIVE 1440p with ray tracing on a more competent CPU

so dynamic resolution would've saved the ps5 if not for the horrible cpu bound performance caused by ray tracing. you can literally see the exact same scenario happening with dragons dogma 2. console zen 2 cpu simply cannot handle ray tracing for these two specific games. it has nothing to do with game being nextgen or some mythical animation quality or lod or draw distance or AI.

SlimySnake

I'm pretty sure that animating a giant robo snake with a lot of moving parts is much more complicated and impressive than ani,atimg what is basically an horse with wings, sorry if after playing horizon (or stuff like monster hunter or even souls games), none of the animations in dogma2 doesn't move my dinky at all...

And we already had this discussion about the secret, super impressive underlying sustems of dogma 2 that nobosy as seen yet, i already explained you how all of what dogma2 does was already being done during ps3 era.
And fucking lol at grabbing and moving into an enemy being a reason for 30 fps...at the very best is a neat ameplay choice that really doesn't impact performance, andif they really lose performance just for the act of moving a character grabbedon a monster, then they really a bunch of inept, and you know it.

Lamo if these are the underlying systems that kill the framerate i'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off.
I post more gifs of HFW in this thread than anyone else. If anything, im biased in favor of HFW.

The animations in HFW are fine, but the animations on that griffon look incredible to me. i mostly spend all my time in HFW just flying around and the griffon animations here are simply better. HFW is going for very robotic and thus stilted animations so its probably not a fair comparison, but I am just pointing out that these animations look better. And

JWO4wRp.gif

If the game could run at 60 fps, the uncapped mode would be running at 60 fps. There is something here that is causing the framerates to tank. They are typically a CPU bottleneck. If the game is dropping to 1080p and running at 31 fps then there is simply too much going on in the CPU. if they are running this at native 4k 31 fps then its sheer incompetence i agree. They should lower the resolution and see if they can get to 60 fps. But my guess is that they have already tried that and it didnt work. a youtuber said that the game was running at 1080p upscaled to 4k so some kind of FSR or checkerboard solution like RE4 and Village.

This game is built on the RE engine. its NOT an engine bottleneck. DMC, Street Fighter 6, RE4, RE Village all run at 60 fps. DMC can hit 120 fps. But those games are you average action adventure games. Very basic in comparison to RPGs like Dragons Dogma. Uncharted and GOW looked a generation ahead of games like Dragons Dogma and Elder Scrolls during the PS3 era. But people mostly understood there was a reason for that. I have no idea why we are throwing away decades of understanding of RPGs being more CPU intensive than basic action adventure games. We wont know for sure until we play the games but ive seen enough here to at least guess that this might be more CPU heavy than your average action adventure game.

yamaci17

Meh, i said multiple times that avatar has the best looking outdoors in the market, but it alzo has terrible ground textures here and there, one fact doesn't erase the other.

First person make difficult to ignore bad textures, you crouch a lot for stealth so you end up noticing the ground textures.

No need for gifs, i played the game with better settings than you (unless your 3080 go like my 4080) :messenger_kissing_smiling:
it is often he will come up with weird responses like "that looks like series s version" "that looks like low settings" "that looks like low resolution (this argument is countered by himself by his claim of hfw looking fantastic on ps4 at 900p. he will literally change his tune on how horizon forbidden look on ps4 depending on the screenshots posted. if you post an ugly screenshot, he will say ps4 does not do the game justice and it does not look good there and is not representative of how game looks on PS5/high end PC/yadda yadda. when he shares his own gifs and screenshots, he will talk about how they achieved this on 1.8 tflops. lol)

if these do not work he will be like:

"maybe a bug or loading issue or something i don't know, I can't be wrong, you're wrong, there's problem in your findings... ummm... maybe your PSU sucks, can't deliver watts on time, GPU bails out and refuses to load textures?! oh you have good PSU... maybe air quality in your room sucks and GPU does not want to render proper Avatar graphics under such conditions since it needs to move air to reduce the heat on the heatsinks. so it goes into this mythical gtx 480 mode where it lowers the graphics"

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sorry i don't see anything in that griffon that beats the dinobots of horizon, or the monsters in monster hunter or the boss in souls games, nothing at all.

What i read from you sound more like a hope that they actually have these underlying systems more than a certainty.

I'm gonna call em lazy fucks until i actually play the game and see what these systems are, because what they showed until now it's unimpressive as fuck.

Helldivers 2 tech wise piss on dogma 2 from great heigh, it has way more stuff on screen, almost total destruction and heavy effects on screen, ground destruction, and it manage to have a 1080p60 mode, dogma2 still has to show me a single impressive thing tech wise, one single fucking thing, just one...

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

You are not a different human than I am.
Brain can adjust

@rofifs usual "30 fps is fine and framedrops are cool, too. My dad/brother/dog agree with me"- nonsense :

Drugs Drogue GIF
drops are not cool. 30 can be fine.
But fuck me bad performance is never a reason for me to skip a game even if I wish it was 240fps.

GymWolf

Gold Member
it is often he will come up with weird responses like "that looks like series s version" "that looks like low settings" and if these do not work he will be like:

"maybe a bug or loading issue or something i don't know, I can't be wrong, you're wrong, there's problem in your findings... ummm... maybe your PSU sucks, can't deliver watts on time, GPU bails out and refuses to load textures?! oh you have good PSU... maybe air quality in your room sucks and GPU does not want to render proper Avatar graphics under such conditions since it needs to move air to reduce the heat on the heatsinks. so it goes into this mythical gtx 480 mode where it lowers the graphics"
Oh i love slimy, we are brother from another mother, i don't over analyze what he say, i say a lot of stupid shit aswell, we are just having fun in our own way :lollipop_squinting:

yamaci17

Brain can adjust

drops are not cool. 30 can be fine.
But fuck me bad performance is never a reason for me to skip a game even if I wish it was 240fps.
accepting bad performance for me is only acceptible if you play on suboptimal hardware.

when I had a GPU that wasn't even on spec sheets and was the bottom of the barrel, I had no qualms with games dropping to 20s. PS5 is not bottom of the barrel and should not be treated as such. by accepting that kind of performance, you just accept it being the bottom of the barrel.

whole point of accepting 30 fps is for stability to begin with. not being able to provide players a stable locked decent 30 fps experience should be called out and one should not reward such approach from developers. only reason a game should be locked to 30 to begin with is that game performs between 32-50 fps wildly and 60 fps target cannot be met. even last of us part 2 often runs above 40 fps on base ps4 when fps is unlocked and uncharted 4 is able to shoot for 50+ fps most of the time at lower resolutions

they literally refuse to do cpu bound optimization and you think we should accept that. this is the core problem. and they actually cause the problem themselves by enforcing ray tracing (probably). and that is even worse.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Brain can adjust
I've tried, I played HZD and Bloodborne on my PS4 and just never got used to 30fps, especially BB because of obvious reasons. It's just a compromise I'm not willing to make anymore and why I'm basically 100% PC now. I wasn't going from 60 to 30, I played for tens of hours just playing 30fps trying to get used it and it just couldn't.

Was the same with RDR which I never played on release, went back to play it and fucking hated 30fps. I finally played it a few years later on Xenia at 60 and it finally felt right. We just have different priorities, tolerances and preferences I guess.

Bojji

You are talking about tiny gif, this game is not really next gen, graphics quality is not comparable to horizon:

oRbqP78.jpg
FebXccP.jpg
epjDbBg.jpg
eAsVSY2.jpg
w4nOFfn.jpg

On gifs Killzone 2 is the best game ever. I also don't see anything special about "systems" this game supposedly have, most open world games operate in similar fashion for many years now.

Horizon is doing a lot, I remember triggering fight between thunderjaws and was amazed that "weak" PS4 can handle that. You can do fights like that in FW:

Starfield is a CPU hog because engine is ancient and inefficient, this game is probably rendering some dumb stuff that kills CPU and GPU just like yamaci17 yamaci17 mentioned.

RT alone is halving framerate on 6600xt in another RE game:

nAGUBJn.jpg
DB7o5z7.jpg

yamaci17

You are talking about tiny gif, this game is not really next gen, graphics quality is not comparable to horizon:

On gifs Killzone 2 is the best game ever. I also don't see anything special about "systems" this game supposedly have, most open world games operate in similar fashion for many years now.

Horizon is doing a lot, I remember triggering fight between thunderjaws and was amazed that "weak" PS4 can handle that. You can do fights like that in FW:

Starfield is a CPU hog because engine is ancient and inefficient, this game is probably rendering some dumb stuff that kills CPU and GPU just like yamaci17 yamaci17 mentioned.

funny part about starfield is that you would still get 60 fps locked %90 of the time even with console CPU

it is just that new atlantis and probably akila that drops to CPU to 45 FPS range and probably nothing else. I literally do not remember any other place that I was not able to get 60 FPS. I will probably do some videos from select different locations showcasing how I'm getting 90+ fps with mythical nextgen starfield mechanics on a lowend CPU lol

only reason it is still stranded to 30 fps is bethesda pettiness and their incompetence of bringing new atlantis to a locked 60. I guess it is going to hurt their ego when their touted performance mode drops below 45 fps in new atlantis so they won't do it. funny thing is you only run and walk around in new atlantis and those kind of "locations" does not consist of any action.

the %99 of the places where action takes place will run at 60 fps (or in other terms, the "nextgen" mechanics or gameplay or whatever).

and yes primary reason new atlantis can't hit 60 on most lowend CPUs (I say lowend, because midrange and above actually can) is extreme amount of drawcalls that creation engine was never designed for. and even with that, the city is not even a city but a mere shallow village. it is just maybe 2-3 tiers above compared to something like riverrun or solitude in skyrim which apparently is enough to clog modern CPU IPC.

it is also perfectly possible, NOW, a 40 fps mode. the game would %99.99 lock to 40 fps. they probably don't do it because it will rile up 60 hz folks being stranded to 30 fps. that's sad too. sony can do it because their 40 fps mode games also support 60 fps so 60 hz folks have an option.

Last edited:

hlm666

It's wild all the talk before this gen was how good the cpu upgrade was and all the cool things it would enable, and we are back to being cpu bound without any of the expected upgrades (ai/physics/framerate). I've said it a few times in other threads, but cpu contention and bandwidth none linear loss when cpu and gpu is being used seems to be an issue for these systems.

rofif

Banned
I've tried, I played HZD and Bloodborne on my PS4 and just never got used to 30fps, especially BB because of obvious reasons. It's just a compromise I'm not willing to make anymore and why I'm basically 100% PC now. I wasn't going from 60 to 30, I played for tens of hours just playing 30fps trying to get used it and it just couldn't.

Was the same with RDR which I never played on release, went back to play it and fucking hated 30fps. I finally played it a few years later on Xenia at 60 and it finally felt right. We just have different priorities, tolerances and preferences I guess.
Bloodborne 30fps is some of the fastest there is to control, so if You can't do that, then there is little hope for you and 30fps

Bojji

funny part about starfield is that you would still get 60 fps locked %90 of the time even with console CPU

it is just that new atlantis and probably akila that drops to CPU to 45 FPS range and probably nothing else. I literally do not remember any other place that I was not able to get 60 FPS. I will probably do some videos from select different locations showcasing how I'm getting 90+ fps with mythical nextgen starfield mechanics on a lowend CPU lol

only reason it is still stranded to 30 fps is bethesda pettiness and their incompetence of bringing new atlantis to a locked 60. I guess it is going to hurt their ego when their touted performance mode drops below 45 fps in new atlantis so they won't do it. funny thing is you only run and walk around in new atlantis and those kind of "locations" does not consist of any action.

the %99 of the places where action takes place will run at 60 fps (or in other terms, the "nextgen" mechanics or gameplay or whatever).

and yes primary reason new atlantis can't hit 60 on most lowend CPUs (I say lowend, because midrange and above actually can) is extreme amount of drawcalls that creation engine was never designed for. and even with that, the city is not even a city but a mere shallow village. it is just maybe 2-3 tiers above compared to something like riverrun or solitude in skyrim which apparently is enough to clog modern CPU IPC.

it is also perfectly possible, NOW, a 40 fps mode. the game would %99.99 lock to 40 fps. they probably don't do it because it will rile up 60 hz folks being stranded to 30 fps. that's sad too. sony can do it because their 40 fps mode games also support 60 fps so 60 hz folks have an option.

Yep, they made stupid decision with that FPS lock and not offering performance mode, just like Baldurs Gate 3 runs in 30fps in act 3 but act 1 and 2 easily run in 60fps on consoles - devs didn't lock entire game to 30fps because of that.

Starfield is also super heavy on GPU so that 1440p resolution wouldn't be maintained on Xbox but there is no good reason to not offer that mode, it would drop to ~45FPS in NA and Aquila but majority of the game would be 60FPS.

SlimySnake

The fucking dragon in the first pic legit looks inferior to the dragon you fight in gow2018...
Dude thats an arena fight lmao. That game is basic as fuck.

oRbqP78.jpg
FebXccP.jpg
epjDbBg.jpg
eAsVSY2.jpg
w4nOFfn.jpg

nAGUBJn.jpg
DB7o5z7.jpg

I never realized RT in that engine was that inefficient. Removing RT should give them enough headroom to hit 60 fps on consoles. I wonder why they are not doing that. PC should have a toggle to disable it.

Starfield might be a CPU hog but runs fine on modern PC CPUs at 60 fps. its not their fault the zen 2 CPUs in consoles are trash. I bet the same thing will happen on PCs with this game. If it doesnt and we are all running the game at 30 fps on our $2,000 PCs then sure thats incompetence.

yamaci17

Yep, they made stupid decision with that FPS lock and not offering performance mode, just like Baldurs Gate 3 runs in 30fps in act 3 but act 1 and 2 easily run in 60fps on consoles - devs didn't lock entire game to 30fps because of that.

Starfield is also super heavy on GPU so that 1440p resolution wouldn't be maintained on Xbox but there is no good reason to not offer that mode, it would drop to ~45FPS in NA and Aquila but majority of the game would be 60FPS.
yep baldurs gate 3 did the perfect thing there. imagine stranding the %85 of the game to 30 FPS UI just because %15 portion of the game will run near 30 FPS. that is just bad design and starfield suffers from the exact same fate.

it is true starfield is heavy on GPU. it made my 3070 feel like a joke despite using it with a lowend CPU. Game was heavily hammering the GPU at 4k/dlss quality (xbox sx equivalent upscaled scenario). I had to play at 1440p and dlss quality to ensure my GPU was not dropping below 16.6 ms GPU render target which was insane

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I never realized RT in that engine was that inefficient. Removing RT should give them enough headroom to hit 60 fps on consoles. I wonder why they are not doing that. PC should have a toggle to disable it.

Starfield might be a CPU hog but runs fine on modern PC CPUs at 60 fps. its not their fault the zen 2 CPUs in consoles are trash. I bet the same thing will happen on PCs with this game. If it doesnt and we are all running the game at 30 fps on our $2,000 PCs then sure thats incompetence.
But it still has to run on a 1.8 teraflop machine with notebook cpu and a 5400rps hard disk tho.

And you can see the dragons even in the large as fuck levels where you free them, but nice try.

Do you want some pics from mhw that has large sandbox areas with an entire animaol ecosystem and a lot of world interactions and has to run on an even lesser machine? Because dragons also looks better in that game...

Last edited:

Bojji

ASSUMING that this game has RT because so far we are speculating, but looking at water in the trailer I'm pretty sure it does. RT is a massive performance hit and no sane developer should force it on console games, only Insomniac and Metro devs delivered good performance with RT so far rest of the devs aren't able to do that.

Without RT this game could have at least solid 40fps mode, perhaps even 60.

yep baldurs gate 3 did the perfect thing there. imagine stranding the %85 of the game to 30 FPS UI just because %15 portion of the game will run near 30 FPS. that is just bad design and starfield suffers from the exact same fate.

it is true starfield is heavy on GPU. it made my 3070 feel like a joke despite using it with a lowend CPU. Game was heavily hammering the GPU at 4k/dlss quality (xbox sx equivalent upscaled scenario). I had to play at 1440p and dlss quality to ensure my GPU was not dropping below 16.6 ms GPU render target which was insane

Exactly, I think AAAA S&B suffer from the same fate and many other games that are 1080p locked on consoles in performance modes, I admire that developers wanted to keep consistent performance but when game drops fps in few places there is no reason to lock entire experience to 1080p when rest of the game could be running in 1440p. DSR solves that but many games don't support that for reason.

SlimySnake

But it still has to run on a 1.8 teraflop machine with notebook cpu and a 5400rps hard disk tho.

And you can see the dragons even in the large as fuck levels where you free them, but nice try.

Do you want some pics from mhw that has large sandbox areas with an entire animaol ecosystem and a lot of world interactions and has to run on an even lesser machine? Because dragons also looks better in that game...
i dont remember that. the three dragons you free are much smaller in size, and they are all chained with just one fire attack. then they just fly away. the dragon fights here are far more dynamic.

the boss fight with the big dragon is limited as fuck. its probably the most underwhelming boss fight in the game. it has like three attacks. The dragon fight in Elden Ring is an actual dragon fight. Ragnorak's dragon fights in that hidden open world are better, but they are tiny dragons and dont look much better than this.

Monster hunter looks like a PS3 game. I dont know why you are bringing that up. At least this game looks like a PS4 game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Drugs Drogue GIF
30fps is fine.
This is a graphical fidelity thread, not a framerate thread. Games look better at 30fps on consoles end of story.

I am desperately waiting for someone to create the "Framerate I Expect This Gen" thread.

please.

yall have a blast in there - so much to talk about.

Last edited:

mrqs

30fps is fine.
This is a graphical fidelity thread, not a framerate thread. Games look better at 30fps on consoles end of story.

I am desperately waiting for someone to create the "Framerate I Expect This Gen" thread.

please.

yall have a blast in there - so much to talk about.

I think he's being ironic? Not sure.

Either way, 30fps is more than fine on a nice TV set. Most of the greatest games of all time were 30fps. This 60fps nonsense is the new generation getting into gaming and not understanding much about it.

Top Bottom