• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really think we're at a time where we should aim to do different things.

I'm playing Jedi: Survivor, and there's so much detail everywhere that it almost feels like noise. I mean, something like TLOU 2 can look pretty clean sometimes. Just adding geometry and textures doesn't make for a good-looking game.

RDR 2 is still the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, and that's because of the lighting and simplicity.

Maybe we could focus more on great lighting and physics and less on infinite geometry and details.
I am with you on noise, but I think Star Wars is pretty good about it compared to Horizon.

The problem with star wars is that it is using really poor quality upscaling introducing bad artifacts and and it produces a really blurry image. Otherwise, it's actually kind of a good compromise between Cyberpunk's THROW EVERYTHING AT THE KITCHEN SINK style of detail and TLOU's lets not have any detail indoors. I really really like the scifi look of the first level and part of it is that it isnt giving me sensory overload like i get when im playing cyberpunk.

Agreed on RDR2. It is a remarkable looking game thanks mostly to its lighting and simplicity. Very well said.

I think Naughty Dog, Sony Bend, Sucker Punch, Ninja Theory, and Rockstar get it. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should. Hopefully, they take that extra horsepower and use it to enhance interactivity and physics.

GOW: R looks better and runs at higher fps/res.
All from 60fps mode
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221113022626.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221112012923.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221112013628.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221111170750.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221114212348.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221228044522.png
Have Ragnarok also it's geometry is behind star wars in several aspects and the lighting is years behind. Ragnarok still looks very good in some scenes. God of Wars performance river dances all over survivor though lol.

Last edited:
In fairness, Jedi Survivor is one amazing looking game with a level of detail that is beyond the likes of Ragnorok, however its not that much better to justify the abysmal performance. They need to remove ray tracing on consoles and optimise the game. 40fps is likely possible in the resolution mode, I'm sure. If only they could have used Decima. Sony probably wouldn't allow it.The geometry in Burning Shores is superior while attaining a sold 60. Unreal needs to be dropped.

mrqs

I am with you on noise, but I think Star Wars is pretty good about it compared to Horizon.

The problem with star wars is that it is using really poor quality upscaling introducing bad artifacts and and it produces a really blurry image. Otherwise, it's actually kind of a good compromise between Cyberpunk's THROW EVERYTHING AT THE KITCHEN SINK style of detail and TLOU's lets not have any detail indoors. I really really like the scifi look of the first level and part of it is that it isnt giving me sensory overload like i get when im playing cyberpunk.

Agreed on RDR2. It is a remarkable looking game thanks mostly to its lighting and simplicity. Very well said.

I think Naughty Dog, Sony Bend, Sucker Punch, Ninja Theory, and Rockstar get it. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should. Hopefully, they take that extra horsepower and use it to enhance interactivity and physics.

I think I agree with you! Maybe because of the poor upscaling, it's making me feel more weirded out by the visuals. Maybe if Jedi: Survivor was native 4K I would enjoy the visuals more.

This keeps happening. Hogwarts Legacy had a lot of potential, but the muddyness makes all the visuals worse than they actually are.

Maybe we're at a midpoint in this generation where upscalers aren't great enough yet, but they might get much better in a few years, as we've seen on UE5 demos.

But still, Cyberpunk is a great example, that game can look incredible at points, but it's so noisy that it's even hard to truly appreciate it.

I hope this next batch of events (the Xbox and PlayStation showcase) really can show what the next few years might be. Spiderman 2 is bound to look incredible!

SlimySnake

Gotta give Jedi Suvivor a shout out here. It might not look next gen but man it is a very good looking game. The lighting and level of detail is definitely a cut above some other last gen.

I dont know. On one hand, you see the character models and open world assets and you;re like horizon looks better and its last gen. but then at times, the game looks straight up Ratchet quality. Beautiful neon lights. Great lighting even in the non-RT mode. just an insane level of detail in the levels. the second world which looked very ordinary at the start looks amazing once you get to the forest area. It's full of these dense foliage and trees everywhere, and Im like where the hell did this come from? The lighting is definitely making these levels look way better than they should too, and they do that without giving the game a very saturated overblown look like HFW does.

I think the problem with the game might be the FSR2.0 implementation. They arent using the latest FSR2.2 drivers which means its relying on fewer pixel data which causes a very blurry image. On consoles, its upscaling from sub 1080p, hell sub 900p even in quality mode at times. The game looked really muddy when i was on 1440p native which apparently becomes 1080p if i switch to high settings and it looked grainy and muddy. But switched to 4k and man, it is a beautiful game with incredible textures work and object detail.

P.S A short 1 minute FF16 video posted today shows a fight in a foliage rich area and this is exactly what im talking about. The level of foliage here is just not possible on PS4. let alone in an open world game.

So yeah, while Star wars and FF16 might not be what I expect from next gen, they are definitely doing stuff not possible on last gen hardware.

SlimySnake

I haven't played the game myself but from what I've seen it looks amazing outside of some poor reflections. It looks amazing in stills and in motion.

I was a little bit confused watching DF video. They were not impressed with the graphics. Weird.
DF video was bizarre. I went and watched their coverage after being impressed by the screenshots posted here and they ran through that video like they wanted nothing to do with it. really weird stuff from people who spend 40-50 minutes jerking off over Path traced lighting in cyberpunk and fans casting shadows in TLOU. here is a game that is doing some phenomenal work with its lighting and object quality but because they didnt an RT checkbox or wasnt made by their favorite devs, they completely dismiss it. I remember Alex covering Dying Light 2 over and over again, literally having orgasms over extremely minor RT ambient occlusion under bridges and inside buses. The game looked like shit and had a huge downgrade.

This game looks marvelous and doesnt need to do any bullshit RTGI or RTAO to look that good. I really hope to see this engine in another game because first person zombie melee games are not my thing.

Piggoro

Gotta give Jedi Suvivor a shout out here. It might not look next gen but man it is a very good looking game. The lighting and level of detail is definitely a cut above some other last gen.

I dont know. On one hand, you see the character models and open world assets and you;re like horizon looks better and its last gen. but then at times, the game looks straight up Ratchet quality. Beautiful neon lights. Great lighting even in the non-RT mode. just an insane level of detail in the levels. the second world which looked very ordinary at the start looks amazing once you get to the forest area. It's full of these dense foliage and trees everywhere, and Im like where the hell did this come from? The lighting is definitely making these levels look way better than they should too, and they do that without giving the game a very saturated overblown look like HFW does.

I think the problem with the game might be the FSR2.0 implementation. They arent using the latest FSR2.2 drivers which means its relying on fewer pixel data which causes a very blurry image. On consoles, its upscaling from sub 1080p, hell sub 900p even in quality mode at times. The game looked really muddy when i was on 1440p native which apparently becomes 1080p if i switch to high settings and it looked grainy and muddy. But switched to 4k and man, it is a beautiful game with incredible textures work and object detail.

P.S A short 1 minute FF16 video posted today shows a fight in a foliage rich area and this is exactly what im talking about. The level of foliage here is just not possible on PS4. let alone in an open world game.

So yeah, while Star wars and FF16 might not be what I expect from next gen, they are definitely doing stuff not possible on last gen hardware.

I'm trying to see next gen in this FF16 vid but this (almost?) completely static grass doesn't look impressive at all to me. I can't see how it is better than Witcher/Horizon/etc. At least from my memory.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I only wanna see a true next gen Mario on Switch 2, and a real graphic jump from Miles Morales to Spider Man 2 !
If the next Switch is indeed using the T239 chip codenamed "Drake" then there's a real possibility they're going to blow a lot of people away visually with the next 3D Mario especially when you look at what they done visually with Super Mario Odyssey using 3 weak ARM CPU cores from 2012 (clocked at just 1GHz), an underclocked mobile GPU from 2015 and 3gb of insanely slow ram. Odyssey running at 1440p or 4k is a sight to behold as the textures and material properties are incredibly impressive for a Switch game targeting (and 99% of the time hitting) 60fps.

The next Mario Kart will also drop jaws using that chip because even if you underclock the chip to the point it doesn't save battery life any longer it's still going to be at least 1TFLOP in mobile mode and 2TFLOP in docked mode with Ray Tracing and DLSS as cherries on top (I think the GPU is more likely to be 1.5TFLOP mobile and 3TFLOP docked). An increase in CPU performance on par with the leap between PS4 and PS5 CPU performance and an increase of ram from 3gb of useable memory for games up to 6gb for games (at much higher bandwidth) will also help a huge amount although I think they'll go with 12gb of ram over 8gb with 10gb used for games for parity with Series S at least in amount of ram.

Represent. Represent.

Stop being such a little bitch by using the triggered emoji on me just because I don't jerk off nightly to my 1246 saved pictures of Aloy's peach fuzz.

If you read my posts I said Burning Shores is stunning looking just like Forbidden West. I have over 50 hours in FW and have done everything in the latest DLC. I enjoyed them both. I also listed Burning Shores in my personal top 5 best looking games of this generation. Are you this much of a baby in real life just because someone agrees with 98% of your opinion but not 100%? Grow up.

SlimySnake

I'm trying to see next gen in this FF16 vid but this (almost?) completely static grass doesn't look impressive at all to me. I can't see how it is better than Witcher/Horizon/etc. At least from my memory.
It's the sheer density of it. It is way better than Witcher 3 which had some of the ugliest foliage ever, and on par with the PS5 version of HFW which really pushed the foliage density above the base PS4 versions.

SlimySnake

If the next Switch is indeed using the T239 chip codenamed "Drake" then there's a real possibility they're going to blow a lot of people away visually with the next 3D Mario especially when you look at what they done visually with Super Mario Odyssey using 3 weak ARM CPU cores from 2012 (clocked at just 1GHz), an underclocked mobile GPU from 2015 and 3gb of insanely slow ram. Odyssey running at 1440p or 4k is a sight to behold as the textures and material properties are incredibly impressive for a Switch game targeting (and 99% of the time hitting) 60fps.

The next Mario Kart will also drop jaws using that chip because even if you underclock the chip to the point it doesn't save battery life any longer it's still going to be at least 1TFLOP in mobile mode and 2TFLOP in docked mode with Ray Tracing and DLSS as cherries on top (I think the GPU is more likely to be 1.5TFLOP mobile and 3TFLOP docked). An increase in CPU performance on par with the leap between PS4 and PS5 CPU performance and an increase of ram from 3gb of useable memory for games up to 6gb for games (at much higher bandwidth) will also help a huge amount although I think they'll go with 12gb of ram over 8gb with 10gb used for games for parity with Series S at least in amount of ram.

Represent. Represent.

Stop being such a little bitch by using the triggered emoji on me just because I don't jerk off nightly to my 1246 saved pictures of Aloy's peach fuzz.

If you read my posts I said Burning Shores is stunning looking just like Forbidden West. I have over 50 hours in FW and have done everything in the latest DLC. I enjoyed them both. I also listed Burning Shores in my personal top 5 best looking games of this generation. Are you this much of a baby in real life just because someone agrees with 98% of your opinion but not 100%? Grow up.
Man I love your optimism but I dont expect anything decent from Nintendo even if the hardware is 3 tflops with ray tracing and dlss. Just look at what Cerny and Philbo gave their engineers. 10-12 tflops with insanely fast SSDs and incredible CPUs and these guys have spent the last 3 years doing fuck all.

The next mario and metroid will be cross gen specially since they started dev like 6 years ago back when there was no such thing as a switch 2. And then even they will run into the same challenges devs like Respawn ran into. RT is expensive and a game rendering below 900p will look like shit on any tv. I watched the Mario movie last month depressed through out the movie knowing Nintendo will never get there. because insomniac tried with 10 tflops and didnt even come close to the visual fidelity of the mario movie. how can nintendo whose devs havent even made PS4 quality visuals get there with 1.5 tflops?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Represent. Represent.

Are you in a bad mood? Chill the fuck out lol

I used the triggered emoji on literally ONE of your posts, like a week ago... Thicker skin. Grow some.

Ridiculous lol.

The game looks incredible, to me its the best looking thing out, you're entitled to your opinion, Im entitled to my triggered emoji usage. Moving on

SlimySnake SlimySnake nice lol

Last edited:
I think I agree with you! Maybe because of the poor upscaling, it's making me feel more weirded out by the visuals. Maybe if Jedi: Survivor was native 4K I would enjoy the visuals more.

This keeps happening. Hogwarts Legacy had a lot of potential, but the muddyness makes all the visuals worse than they actually are.

Maybe we're at a midpoint in this generation where upscalers aren't great enough yet, but they might get much better in a few years, as we've seen on UE5 demos.

But still, Cyberpunk is a great example, that game can look incredible at points, but it's so noisy that it's even hard to truly appreciate it.

I hope this next batch of events (the Xbox and PlayStation showcase) really can show what the next few years might be. Spiderman 2 is bound to look incredible!

Totally agree. Games are being ruined by shitty upscaling this gen (on console).

Cyberpunk 2077 looks SO much worse after they added FSR especially in performance mode

Modern Warfare 2 looks worse on Ps5 than MW 2019 did on my One X- it's muddy and has severe artifacting and pixel crawl

There are many more

Edder1

DF video was bizarre. I went and watched their coverage after being impressed by the screenshots posted here and they ran through that video like they wanted nothing to do with it. really weird stuff from people who spend 40-50 minutes jerking off over Path traced lighting in cyberpunk and fans casting shadows in TLOU. here is a game that is doing some phenomenal work with its lighting and object quality but because they didnt an RT checkbox or wasnt made by their favorite devs, they completely dismiss it. I remember Alex covering Dying Light 2 over and over again, literally having orgasms over extremely minor RT ambient occlusion under bridges and inside buses. The game looked like shit and had a huge downgrade.

This game looks marvelous and doesnt need to do any bullshit RTGI or RTAO to look that good. I really hope to see this engine in another game because first person zombie melee games are not my thing.
Hard disagree. Imo Survivor is an upgrade over Fallen Order, but it's just slightly better looking and slightly more dense, nothing more. It's also unfair to have a go and DF when many people share this view, including NX Gamer who wasn't that impressed by the upgrades in this game. The game just has unimpressive image quality and really falls flat on its face when compared to something like Forbidden West (a cross gen game). So in reality this is a current gen only game that looks worse than some cross gen efforts, so not exactly sure what people are supposed to be impressed by.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned

Represent. Represent.

I'm tottally agreed with you, cause all those specs are basically more realistic than thinking on a 4 Teraflops Portable console... I really think we'll see a 1,5 or 1,8 TF portable Switch and a 2,6 or 3,0 TF docked Switch.

And remeber that 1,5 TF from a tottally new archtecture is different than a 1,5 TF from an old archtecture, and we're talking about a Nvidia hardware that use to be better optimazed than AMD hardwares... Teraflops from Nvidia use to render better than AMD Teraflops, as we all know playing games using AMD GPU in comparison with Nvidia GPU...

Well, I hope to see a New Super Mario 3D, using the power of this next gen hardware, at least in 1080p 60fps, better geometry, more elements on screen and better animations and textures... I hope to see something near to the 2023 Mario's Movie, but I know that the movie was made in a render farm extremelly expensive... But I hope to see some similar artistic concep from the movie in the Game...

What do you expet, from Spider Man 2 graphically ??

H . R . 2

I believe RDR2, a last-gen title, has already beaten these pseudo-next-gen games in terms of foliage and interactivity.
Crysis 3 also set a great precedent in this regard

I think what you're referring to here might be less about the technical aspect of the visuals and more about
the aesthetic choices and designs involved in creating realistic-/good-looking environments which are powered by new but not necessarily ground-breaking technology

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What’s baffling are the people in the comments saying this is unnecessary, I mean why? Literally everybody benefits from this. A Pro will mean the original becomes cheaper, a Pro means more units out there to buy, and a Pro means more optimized games for those who want it. It doesn’t make an iota of this to say this is unnecessary.

This guy gets it:

People are dumb. The rhetoric around the PS4 Pro was a lot more negative especially at launch. It was extremely toxic.

Represent.

Ehh, maybe its the quality of the video but this looks very last gen.

Fantastic. Hit reactions so far ahead of the game it's not even funny.

ReBurn

Gold Member
And now people look back and say "glad the PS4 Pro happened". These are the exact same people who didn't want it back then.
Not true. I was a fan of it back then and I'm still a fan of it now. Several other folks here are the same. The reasons are the same.

I think that 6 to 7 years between hardware refreshes is too long and games suffer for it. I think we need to move to every 4 years tops and that two Iterations max should be supported, giving developers 2 specs to work with at any one time.

People who don't want it are an upset because they paid $400 to $500 for a console and they want to get as much life out of it as possible, so they hold out hope that games are just naturally going to get better as developers have more time with the machine. But we don't see really bare metal improvements from anyone besides first party studios and we haven't in a long time. Long console generations just hold everyone back.

Last edited:
Ehh, maybe its the quality of the video but this looks very last gen.

Fantastic. Hit reactions so far ahead of the game it's not even funny.
Hard disagree, the geometry in this video, the draw distance, particles, effects, lighting and character models definitely do not look last gen. The enemy detail is top notch.

alloush

Not true. I was a fan of it back then and I'm still a fan of it now. Several other folks here are the same. The reasons are the same.

I think that 6 to 7 years between hardware refreshes is too long and games suffer for it. I think we need to move to every 4 years tops and that two Iterations max should be supported, giving developers 2 specs to work with at any one time.

People who don't want it are an upset because they paid $400 to $500 for a console and they want to get as much life out of it as possible, so they hold out hope that games are just naturally going to get better as developers have more time with the machine. But we don't see really bare metal improvements from anyone besides first party studios and we haven't in a long time. Long console generations just hold everyone back.
Maybe you were a fan but I had tons of people at work at the time who frowned upon it for some odd reason even though every dude and his dog AND his grandmother knew the Pro was needed even before the original came out.

As for people getting upset cuz they paid $500 for it, they can easily sell it for $300. Throw in a couple games u aint gonna play anymore and you will easily sell it for at least $300. I sold my PS4 Pro last year mind you for $360 I kid you not.

Represent.

Hard disagree, the geometry in this video, the draw distance, particles, effects, lighting and character models definitely do not look last gen. The enemy detail is top notch.

I agree the particle effects look solid. But im not seeing anything else here, in THAT clip. I've seen other videos/gifs of FF16 that impressed me more. I think its going to be a good looking game but an inconsistent one.

The foliage for example, looks a gen behind the screens below. It isnt even close to as detailed or dense. What is next gen about the foliage in that video? All of the foliage in the screens below move when touched, and it just flat out looks way better, and is 10x more thick and dense.

The bar has flat out been raised by Guerilla.

FvJX6O8WwA0JXlo

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

FuO-IV8WAAMwzwJ

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Man I love your optimism but I dont expect anything decent from Nintendo even if the hardware is 3 tflops with ray tracing and dlss. Just look at what Cerny and Philbo gave their engineers. 10-12 tflops with insanely fast SSDs and incredible CPUs and these guys have spent the last 3 years doing fuck all.

The next mario and metroid will be cross gen specially since they started dev like 6 years ago back when there was no such thing as a switch 2. And then even they will run into the same challenges devs like Respawn ran into. RT is expensive and a game rendering below 900p will look like shit on any tv. I watched the Mario movie last month depressed through out the movie knowing Nintendo will never get there. because insomniac tried with 10 tflops and didnt even come close to the visual fidelity of the mario movie. how can nintendo whose devs havent even made PS4 quality visuals get there with 1.5 tflops?
Nintendo have time and time again created games which visually shouldn't be possible on their own hardware especially the ones that target 60fps. I expect them to at least match Rift Apart visually mainly because of art direction and also having a combo of Nvidia hardware based RT cores and DLSS to render at a much lower resolution and then cheat their way back up to 1080p/1440p/2160p iq while using RT AO / reflections when in docked mode.

We shall see but considering what Nintendo done with Wii, Wii U and Switch all bets are off when it comes to what they can produce using 'limited' hardware imo.

Development budget will be the biggest limiting factor for Nintendo first party games long before the hardware holds them back. Outside of 3D Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart most of their games are probably sub $30 million to make.

HighPoly HighPoly

I expect Spider-Man 2 to take the crown as the best looking PS5 game and as such the best looking game of the generation so far come this holiday season.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Nintendo have time and time again created games which visually shouldn't be possible on their own hardware especially the ones that target 60fps.
You're mixing up the "art" and the "engine" teams.
Nothing about Nintendo's games is technically impressive.
They're good at maxing out their hardware but that's to be expected from the platform owners.

Last edited:
I agree the particle effects look solid. But im not seeing anything else here, in THAT clip. I've seen other videos/gifs of FF16 that impressed me more. I think its going to be a good looking game but an inconsistent one.

The foliage for example, looks a gen behind the screens below. It isnt even close to as detailed or dense. What is next gen about the foliage in that video? All of the foliage in the screens below move when touched, and it just flat out looks way better, and is 10x more thick and dense.

FvJX6O8WwA0JXlo

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

FuO-IV8WAAMwzwJ
The foliage in horizon is amazing looking but it looks very plastic to me especially the larger foliage. The moss looks superb. Whatever that red grass is that was in the first game as well that you hide in also looks bad. Horizon is an odd duck. It looks beautiful but is largely over done. Not overrated it looks amazing it's just I don't know, too much.

Hugare

I like how while AAA devs are producing cross gen looking trash, korean devs are producing MMOs that look next gen.

a659dcca6902a887b16722e3f13035d12903fd37-scaled.jpg

giphy.gif

"Running on PC"

Final game wont look anything like this. Even on PC.

The idea of a MMORPG looking this good (better than Demons Souls in some scenes) with spells all over the place, more than 15 players fighting a huge creature is just ridiculous

They are just baiting people for some media and preorders. Dont fall for it.

Wtf?....I seen a bunch of PC footage from the game and non of it looked like that.
Best case scenarios?

Well, having the HUD, quest markers, items and weapon on display makes your mind realize that its just a game. And every game nowadays look better in stills due to image reconstruction techniques.

But the game is a looker. Lighting is really impressive.

I love ray tracing, but baked lighting still has the best performance/quality balance, imo.
Some games that use it properly, like DI 2, can generate photorealistic scenes at great performance costs.

Hugare

They are targeting PS5 specs at native 4k with ray tracing. It will be impressive but nothing special.

This is what the reveal cinematic looked like.
spiderman2game-sony.gif

Hardly any better than the Miles cinematics.

spidermanMM_moves.gif
Lighting is way more impressive than Miles

That scene at the start of the trailer, when it shows the street corner, its gorgeous. Huge step up from the past games.

The volumetric fog also adds greatly to the atmosphere

SlimySnake

FvJX6O8WwA0JXlo

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

FuO-IV8WAAMwzwJ
Horizon also upped the foliage density and tree quality in the PS5 version. The assets dont look as good on PS4 either.

I am going off of memory here, but other best looking games of the gen like RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, AC Valhalla, Death Stranding, Far Cry games and Horizon Zero Dawn dont have this level of density and lighting fidelity we're seeing in Jedi and FF16.

Both are very uneven games, but at times they do give off that PS4.5 vibe we got from Demon Souls and Ratchet. Something just not possible on last gen hardware.

SlimySnake

FYI the new patch for Horizon Burning Shores seems to have greatly improved pop in thank goodness. It's by no means perfect but MUCH better.

TWPHBno.jpg
Just tried it. It fixes the big pop ins like entire islands loading but the foliage and other lods still load in front of you. The flying speed is painfully slow and we still see pop in. They really need to upgrade their engine. Cerny promised this shit would not happen.

Top Bottom