• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CamHostage

I like how while AAA devs are producing cross gen looking trash, korean devs are producing MMOs that look next gen.

...And whenever this game actually releases, we can compare it to these games that actually came to market using the technology of the time to produce their shipped games.

You keep posting these "WTF are these developers doing?!" posts comparing videos of games which are years off, and still in marketing-demo form (if not just straight bullshot work), to games already in hand. You've been talking since June 2021 about Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora as the game which embarrasses every other game on the market, yet none of us have been able to play that game still in any form base it still isn't done; no new footage even of it has been released since that first video. (Meantime, some supposed screenshots of Avatar have leaked, and as you yourself have said, it might not look as hot in reality as it was promised to be...) So many people on this thread are sharing UE5 indie/homebrew demos and asking why the fuck nobody is using UE5 in their games, but then you look on Steam and none of those UE5 indie projects which look so amazing in demos are anywhere near being playable games; we're finally getting some professionally-made UE5 games this month (which, for those of us familiar with the engine's roadmap or the history of UE4, is about on schedule,) and they're a remake of R-Type Final 2 and a Bloober game. The best playable work with UE5 is coming via Fortnite, and all of those impressive new Fortnite Creative projects with next-gen Lumen lighting and Nanite geometry also can be downloaded for play on Switch or a phone.

There's stuff on the horizon which will be evolutionary and hopefully transformative, but you're so convinced that everybody is doing everything wrong, and you're basing this on your impression of what should be and how the TFLOPs don't add up the way you think they should mathematically in end-result performance... you're angry at reality because you imagine it's supposed to be better. Nobody's going out of their way to deprive you of games which match up to your image of now. The state of games which you can buy now, that's reality, that's now. And we can talk about what's around the corner or even what's being under-utilized of the tech we have in hand, but to keep pointing to tech demos and distant release teaser trailers then saying that the present is fake "PS4.5" shit while the real good game work is what you can't touch yet but hear about and see hints of off in a wishful distance, that's going to continue to drive you batty.

(BTW, in the case of Chrono Odyssey, this was going to be on mobile as well as console and PC when it was first announced in 2020. It was literally going to be "cross-gen trash" the last time we heard about it; we'll see what it actually is whenever it is finally done.)

Last edited:

SABRE220

I like how while AAA devs are producing cross gen looking trash, korean devs are producing MMOs that look next gen.

a659dcca6902a887b16722e3f13035d12903fd37-scaled.jpg

giphy.gif

These Korean MMO,s always use ridiculously optimistic vertical slices running on insane PC,s in controlled test scenarios for trailers. These trailers are nowhere near close to the real-time fidelity on display when the game launches....its happened every gen dont get fooled.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
...And whenever this game actually releases, we can compare it to these games that actually came to market using the technology of the time to produce their shipped games.

You keep posting these "WTF are these developers doing?!" posts comparing videos of games which are years off, and still in marketing-demo form (if not just straight bullshot work), to games already in hand. You've been talking since June 2021 about Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora as the game which embarrasses every other game on the market, yet none of us have been able to play that game still in any form base it still isn't done; no new footage even of it has been released since that first video. (Meantime, some supposed screenshots of Avatar have leaked, and as you yourself have said, it might not look as hot in reality as it was promised to be...) So many people on this thread are sharing UE5 indie/homebrew demos and asking why the fuck nobody is using UE5 in their games, but then you look on Steam and none of those UE5 indie projects which look so amazing in demos are anywhere near being playable games; we're finally getting some professionally-made UE5 games this month (which, for those of us familiar with the engine's roadmap or the history of UE4, is about on schedule,) and they're a remake of R-Type Final 2 and a Bloober game. The best playable work with UE5 is coming via Fortnite, and all of those impressive new Fortnite Creative projects with next-gen Lumen lighting and Nanite geometry also can be downloaded for play on Switch or a phone.

There's stuff on the horizon which will be evolutionary and hopefully transformative, but you're so convinced that everybody is doing everything wrong, and you're basing this on your impression of what should be and how the TFLOPs don't add up the way you think they should mathematically in end-result performance... you're angry at reality because you imagine it's supposed to be better. Nobody's going out of their way to deprive you of games which match up to your image of now. The state of games which you can buy now, that's reality, that's now. And we can talk about what's around the corner or even what's being under-utilized of the tech we have in hand, but to keep pointing to tech demos and distant release teaser trailers then saying that the present is fake "PS4.5" shit while the real good game work is what you can't touch yet but hear about and see hints of off in a wishful distance, that's going to continue to drive you batty.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen​

I still consider TLOU II to be the one of the best looking games EVER made overall, counting animation, sound, graphics etc. This thread is to discuss future graphics and to show the best from the industry.

Literally discussing the topic of the thread is no longer allowed. What a time to be alive.

And I find it hilarious that you are more upset at my views than being upset at people who sold you two $500 next gen consoles that are effectively moonlighting as mid gen upgrades. Of course, I am convinced everyone is doing something wrong. I was just praising Star Wars in this thread, and yet the director himself admitted that they passed on UE5 early on in development. Well, after the disastrous launch, we can safely say they did something wrong. Especially since they did target 1440p 30 fps modes like ive been wanting, and yet despite dropping below 900p, their UE4 RTGI is cant produce Matrix quality visuals on a much smaller scale. The Dead Space devs released the game with VRS shitting up the image. They patched it out and it made zero difference to performance. Clearly, devs are prone to make mistakes. Stupid, dumb, greedy, moronic mistakes.

I think the only problem here is that you are on the side of devs who make trash like Redfall and try to pass it as a $70 game. Thanks but no thanks. I will continue to call out the industry in a thread that was literally about the future of graphics two years ago. We are in the future now, but the games look like they are from the past. Redfall looks worse than KZ2. Not shadowfall. KZ2.

SlimySnake

These Korean MMO,s always use ridiculously optimistic vertical slices running on insane PC,s in controlled test scenarios for trailers. These trailers are nowhere near close to the real-time fidelity on display when the game launches....its happened every gen dont get fooled.
I will give them props for trying.

P.S I dont remember korean devs releasing these trailers last gen or any gen before this. This is a fairly new phenomenon and im well aware that these games are likely vaporware. But those graphics clearly look realtime, not faked cutscenes, running on released PC hardware. There is 5 minutes of footage here. Of maybe a hundred different environments. They did not pre-render this stuff. It's running. likely on a 4090, but its running realtime.

HighPoly

Banned
They are targeting PS5 specs at native 4k with ray tracing. It will be impressive but nothing special.

This is what the reveal cinematic looked like.
spiderman2game-sony.gif

Hardly any better than the Miles cinematics.

spidermanMM_moves.gif
We are running the ending PS2 CGi level graphics, cause we've running also ray tracing as much as all PS2 CGi...
Well, I wanna see something from PS360 CGi leval, like this:

I know we can't wait that level from Ubisoft in the new Assassin's Creed, but maybe from Ghost of Tsushima 2 or even the next Naughty Dog game??

Last edited:

Musilla

Horizon also upped the foliage density and tree quality in the PS5 version. The assets dont look as good on PS4 either.

I am going off of memory here, but other best looking games of the gen like RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, AC Valhalla, Death Stranding, Far Cry games and Horizon Zero Dawn dont have this level of density and lighting fidelity we're seeing in Jedi and FF16.

Both are very uneven games, but at times they do give off that PS4.5 vibe we got from Demon Souls and Ratchet. Something just not possible on last gen hardware.
ezgif-1-1ec6f50774.gif

ezgif-2-f085a92e1b.gif

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
You're mixing up the "art" and the "engine" teams.
Nothing about Nintendo's games is technically impressive.
They're good at maxing out their hardware but that's to be expected from the platform owners.
I’m not.

Nintendo target 60fps in 90% of their published games from Splatoon, Smash, Kart to their sports games to their mainline Mario games and they do and did so on extremely limited hardware.

This isn’t as impressive as it used to be since we now have a bunch of ports, remasters and cross gen games running at 60fps on PS5/Series but just a few years ago 30fps was very much the norm on console and it looks to be already rearing its ugly head again with visually impressive games being 30fps or having performance modes with shit (in comparison to resolution modes) iq and even then bouncing between 45-60fps in performance mode.

Hitting 60fps in any art style is no joke. 16ms to render everything is insane then you look at the hardware they’ve consistently done it on (outside of N64 as it was the birth of polygons / 3D rendering on console).

People are dumb. The rhetoric around the PS4 Pro was a lot more negative especially at launch. It was extremely toxic.

The people who don't want it are rediculous. They don't like the idea of having to spend more money on another ps5 and don't want to feel bad about having a weaker base model.

Guys just trade in your ps5 to gamestop when the Pro comes out and pay the $250 difference for the better system. You won't regret it when you're getting to play games at good resolutions and framerates.

Here's my question though- how will developers even utilize these mid gen upgrades? Will they bother to make separate modes with more ray tracing features for the Pro? Or will it just be that we have higher fps and dynamic resolutions?

You know what else sucks? Jedi Survivor will never be good on next gen consoles even if a Pro comes out because the performance mode has such low resolution parameters. Only thing it can do is run performance mode at 60 fps and at the upper bounds of 1080p upscaled to 1440p.

Jedi will never look good at 60 fps on console what a shame.

SlimySnake

The people who don't want it are rediculous. They don't like the idea of having to spend more money on another ps5 and don't want to feel bad about having a weaker base model.

Guys just trade in your ps5 to gamestop when the Pro comes out and pay the $250 difference for the better system. You won't regret it when you're getting to play games at good resolutions and framerates.

Here's my question though- how will developers even utilize these mid gen upgrades? Will they bother to make separate modes with more ray tracing features for the Pro? Or will it just be that we have higher fps and dynamic resolutions?

You know what else sucks? Jedi Survivor will never be good on next gen consoles even if a Pro comes out because the performance mode has such low resolution parameters. Only thing it can do is run performance mode at 60 fps and at the upper bounds of 1080p upscaled to 1440p.

Jedi will never look good at 60 fps on console what a shame.
Well, i am running Jedi on a GPU 2x more powerful than the PS5 so I can provide some clarity here.

The main problem with Jedi is the CPU bottleneck. They've already optimized the CPU usage somewhat, but in GPU bound scenarios where my GPU utilization is at 99% I can go from hitting 55 fps at Epic Settings at 4k using FSR quality (1440p) to sub 35 fps in cpu bound areas like the bar and the main town as the GPU utilization crashes to just 70%. All they have to do here is figure out the cpu issues, multithread them and they will be able to get this game running at 60 fps 4k fsr quality on the PS5 Pro albeit at high settings. High to Epic is roughly a 20% hit to performance.

Most games nowadays are using dynamic resolution scaling anyway. Quality mode on the PS5 is using an internal resolution of 1440p before using FSR... same as what I am doing. It's just that in demanding areas it drops below 900p. So with the proper GPU, it will simply work and run it at 1440p if the GPU power is there without the need for a patch.

it's the game with no DRS or uncapped framerates is what we have to worry about. Something like TLOU Part 1 had the right idea allowing you to uncap the native 4k mode so that when that powerful GPU does come, no one will have to do anything. In Horizon's case they will need to uncap the framerate of the resolution and balanced modes which is really stupid because Insomniac and SSM did that with the VRR patch and it works flawlessly. Just tie it to VRR.

Schmendrick

I’m not.

Nintendo target 60fps in 90% of their published games from Splatoon, Smash, Kart to their sports games to their mainline Mario games and they do and did so on extremely limited hardware.

This isn’t as impressive as it used to be since we now have a bunch of ports, remasters and cross gen games running at 60fps on PS5/Series but just a few years ago 30fps was very much the norm on console and it looks to be already rearing its ugly head again with visually impressive games being 30fps or having performance modes with shit (in comparison to resolution modes) iq and even then bouncing between 45-60fps in performance mode.

Hitting 60fps in any art style is no joke. 16ms to render everything is insane then you look at the hardware they’ve consistently done it on (outside of N64 as it was the birth of polygons / 3D rendering on console).
... Nope..... It's all about render budget and that's, were the simplistic artstyle comes in. Every monkey can get to 60fps if he uses stick figure graphics hyperbolically speaking.
Nintendo takes a lot ...a LOT...of time to optimize, probably more than any other first party Producer (with their crappy hardware they kinda have to), but that doesnt make them tech wizards.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
... Nope..... It's all about render budget and that's, were the simplistic artstyle comes in. Every monkey can get to 60fps if he uses stick figure graphics hyperbolically speaking.
Nintendo takes a lot ...a LOT...of time to optimize, probably more than any other first party Producer (with their crappy hardware they kinda have to), but that doesnt make them tech wizards.
I never said they were tech wizards. I said it’s impressive they get things like Super Mario Galaxy out of a 12flop GPU, Mario Kart 8 out of a 176gflop GPU and Super Mario Odyssey out of a sub 400gflop GPU.

All of them with awful CPU’s. All of them with tiny amounts of RAM. All of those games were phenomenal looking at release and all of them were 60fps.

They will do miracles with a PS4 Pro levels of power and decent dedicated hardware for RT and DLSS.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
That's more unfounded faith than anything else.
Nintendo's track record with complex high fidelity games is.... Well zero.
It’s not unfounded faith. You know how modern development works right? Their models and textures will already be authored at far higher fidelity and scaled down to work on Switch. That’s how you get higher quality everything in cutscenes versus gameplay.

Schmendrick

It’s not unfounded faith. You know how modern development works right? Their models and textures will already be authored at far higher fidelity and scaled down to work on Switch. That’s how you get higher quality everything in cutscenes versus gameplay.
I better leave the mental gymnastics you did there uncommented..........

Fact is Nintendo has zero experience in that area and you're 100% speculating based on your current image of Nintendo, and I'll leave it at that.
Also what kind of "miracles" are you even talking about? Nintendo isn't gonna abandon their classical style and that one is nigh impossible to enhance to "miracle" level even if Nintendo hadn't quit the graphics race 15 years ago....
Are we talking nanite geometry POW blocks or HairFx-enhanced cat costumes?
What are you even expecting?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Ghosts is very uneven. I consider it one of the best looking games of last gen but it has some of the worst LOD pop-in ive seen. HFW and Burning shores do a very good job extending the foliage density to much farther away than what you see in Ghosts below, but the asset quality still downgrades with some trees looking very out of place. Again, Cerny said the fast ssd and IO would solve stuff like this.

EeUHNPhXsAAJyD3
EeUHGLwWsAAuZBU

P.S your gifs take too long to show up and are too big. Makes browsing on mobile very hard. Can you try uploading it to imgur which has faster download speeds or just reduce the gif quality. 10 MB gifs should be good. anything over that and it slows chrome to a halt especially if you post multiple gifs per page.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I better leave the mental gymnastics you did there uncommented..........

Fact is Nintendo has zero experience in that area and you're 100% speculating based on your current image of Nintendo, and I'll leave it at that.
Also what kind of "miracles" are you even talking about? Nintendo isn't gonna abandon their classical style and that one is nigh impossible to enhance to "miracle" level even if Nintendo hadn't quit the graphics race 15 years ago....
Are we talking nanite geometry POW blocks or HairFx-enhanced cat costumes?
What are you even expecting?
It’s not speculation it’s the way every major videogame company creates their content nowadays. Nintendo literally use their highest quality authored assets for promotional material.

As for what I’m expecting from their big AAA games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon, Luigi’s Mansion is in the ballpark of Ratchet PS5 through a mix of artistic talent, smart design, much more powerful hardware than Switch and deploying RT and DLSS in smart ways.

You need to pull yourself out the past 20 years when it comes to art direction. Look at how a current game uses Nanite, Lumen, RT and DLSS… oh yeah that game is Fortnite.

SlimySnake

It’s not speculation it’s the way every major videogame company creates their content nowadays. Nintendo literally use their highest quality authored assets for promotional material.

As for what I’m expecting from their big AAA games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon, Luigi’s Mansion is in the ballpark of Ratchet PS5 through a mix of artistic talent, smart design, much more powerful hardware than Switch and deploying RT and DLSS in smart ways.

You need to pull yourself out the past 20 years when it comes to art direction. Look at how a current game uses Nanite, Lumen, RT and DLSS… oh yeah that game is Fortnite.
I think the problem is that Nintendo is literally decades behind the curve at this point. We saw just how much Naughty Dog and Sony studios struggled with the PS3 transition. We saw a similar increase in dev time, costs, downgrades and a severe lack of polish in the transition to the PS4 era. The PS5 era has come with its own set of challenges with so-called next gen games dropping below 1080p. And UE4 games shipping in disastrous state despite having 5-7 dev cycles.

Nintendo devs has not gone through that and they will struggle just like everyone else. You could argue that the Wii U and the Switch are as powerful as the PS3 but i dont think a single game released on the Wii U or Switch approaches Uncharted, Killzone, TLOU or GOW caliber visuals. Put Mario Kart next to Motorstorm or GT5 and its not even close.

I remember reading a behind the scenes doc on Uncharted Drake's Fortune and how ND had to throw away a year's worth of work midway through development because their engine just didnt work with the PS3 architecture. This is the best damn studio in the business. Nintendo studios are going to go through these growing pains and looking at how much retro has struggled to develop a Metroid Prime sequel with PS3 era visuals (we have yet to see any footage from this mythical game that was announced in 2015) and how Mario Odyssey simply doesnt look as good as PS3 era Ratchets, I am not super convinced that Nintendo will hit a homerun even if they do get their hands on a Nvidia powered 3 tflops console with RT and DLSS tensor cores. Which lets face it is also an uncertainty given how much Nvidia loves to rip off its consumers.

I am cautiously optimistic that the main reason we havent seen a new mario kart game, a mario 3d game, and a metroid prime game on the switch is because Nintendo wised up and realized the switch is wii u lite. But after seeing ND ship TLOU Part 1 with identical visuals to TLOU2 despite having access to 10 tflops, im not sure if nintendo devs wont just give us a 1440p or 4k version of these very PS3 era looking games.

Last edited:

radewagon

That's more unfounded faith than anything else.
Nintendo's track record with complex high fidelity games is.... Well zero.
I can't tell if I agree with you because of your avatar choice (Last Unicorn for life) or because, well, I agree with you. Nintendo hasn't pushed the limit for a long time. The fact that their newest Zelda game is using basically just a rehash of the same graphical style they employed on the Wii with Skyward Sword says a lot. It's so utterly disappointing seeing them play it so safe.

Schmendrick

How a few switch era promotional or cutscene renders would implicate that Nintendo is capable or would even want to squeeze out ratchet level fidelity games including RT out of a maybe 4 tflop machine will forever be a mystery.

You're right, that's not speculation, it's simply nonsense. Having faith in a developer is ok, but let's stick to calling it faith then and not jump trough hoops to fabricate arguments to that end.

Last edited:

Ywap

The graphical fidelity i have come to expect lately is traversal stuttering and shader cache stuttering combined with shadow and texture pop-in.

It´s time to throw in the towel folks and just buy that PS5. After all, it seems like Sonys own studios are the only ones left that can produce high quailty gaming software :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
The graphical fidelity i have come to expect lately is traversal stuttering and shader cache stuttering combined with shadow and texture pop-in.

It´s time to throw in the towel folks and just buy that PS5. After all, it seems like Sonys own studios are the only ones left that can produce high quailty gaming software :messenger_pensive:
What is this? Jim Ryan's burner account or something? lol

Jokes aside, yes upside of the PS5 is you get quality game releases for the most part, and when there are issues they usually get resolved fairly quickly.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I haven't played the game myself but from what I've seen it looks amazing outside of some poor reflections. It looks amazing in stills and in motion.

I was a little bit confused watching DF video. They were not impressed with the graphics. Weird.
It looks great, hardly impressive.

If anything, It is impressive that it look that good after development hell.

The gore is the real star, no game does it better.

Last edited:

Ywap

Jokes aside, yes upside of the PS5 is you get quality game releases for the most part, and when there are issues they usually get resolved fairly quickly.
Haha, yeah, it might seem like that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

As a PC gamer it feels like things have gone south for a long time now. Personally i wouldn´t mind playing Demon´s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores, TLOU part 2, GOW Ragnarok etc.

In other words: Great games with solid 60fps performance without constant stuttering. (praying for those PS5 Pro rumors to be true btw.)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You guys really have to play Jedi Survivor. It has some stunning lighting. I went to the desert level today and this has to be the best looking desert in a game since Uncharted 3. The rock textures are almost ue5 Valley of the ancient quality. But it’s the lighting that sets it apart. I climbed on top of a canyon and the fight with the sky and clouds in the backdrop was almost cg quality.

I wish i could record some of this gameplay but my geforce now captures cause vram spikes. But trust me, it’s an uneven game at times but when it wants to look good, just wow.

He’s right. The ue4 traversal stutter is awful in open world games and apparently it’s even in the ue5 version of fortnite so it’s not going anywhere. Even re4 had this shit on every console. Star Wars is the worst example but every game from gotham knights to hogwarts, re4, dead space, and redfall have this stutter and I’m done with it.

SlimySnake

Since we were talking about di2

This is seriously impressive stuff. The lighting is excellent, but its in the indoor level of detail and world interactivity that impresses the most. I love that the sprinkler system still works and water can clean up blood and toxic chemicals.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You guys really have to play Jedi Survivor. It has some stunning lighting. I went to the desert level today and this has to be the best looking desert in a game since Uncharted 3. The rock textures are almost ue5 Valley of the ancient quality. But it’s the lighting that sets it apart. I climbed on top of a canyon and the fight with the sky and clouds in the backdrop was almost cg quality.

I wish i could record some of this gameplay but my geforce now captures cause vram spikes. But trust me, it’s an uneven game at times but when it wants to look good, just wow.

He’s right. The ue4 traversal stutter is awful in open world games and apparently it’s even in the ue5 version of fortnite so it’s not going anywhere. Even re4 had this shit on every console. Star Wars is the worst example but every game from gotham knights to hogwarts, re4, dead space, and redfall have this stutter and I’m done with it.
I saw a lot of shitty rock textures in the desert and nothing close to the ue5 demo.

The game is wildly uneven if anything, sure as hell not nextgen.

The set pieces with the witch was cool but as every "cool" setpiece, it was all spectacle and zero substance.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I saw a lot of shitty rock textures in the desert and nothing close to the ue5 demo.

The game is wildly uneven if anything, sure as hell not nextgen.

The set pieces with the witch was cool but as every "cool" setpiece, it was all spectacle and zero substance.
Yeah, i mentioned that it looks uneven but the rock textures I saw were absolutely stunning everywhere. Maybe the assets dont load fully in the rocks in the far distance but thats mostly because the game has an insane draw distance and doesnt use bullshit fog or hills to hide anything.

I will take a video tonight. Fought some ATSTs in the desert and at times it looked straight up CG. I was like wtf.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, i mentioned that it looks uneven but the rock textures I saw were absolutely stunning everywhere. Maybe the assets dont load fully in the rocks in the far distance but thats mostly because the game has an insane draw distance and doesnt use bullshit fog or hills to hide anything.

I will take a video tonight. Fought some ATSTs in the desert and at times it looked straight up CG. I was like wtf.
Meh, i noticed some pop in on the ground from very close.

Rdr2 remain the king of draw distance done right.

The game doesn't even has sand effects when you walk like horizon.

After playing burning shores or even dead island 2, this game doesn't impress me an an inch graphically.

Maybe i missed this misterious ue5 zone in the desert...

Last edited:

mrqs

Honestly, it's hard for me not to think what a terrible disappointment this generation has been so far. Maybe it's just me getting older?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think the problem is that Nintendo is literally decades behind the curve at this point. We saw just how much Naughty Dog and Sony studios struggled with the PS3 transition. We saw a similar increase in dev time, costs, downgrades and a severe lack of polish in the transition to the PS4 era. The PS5 era has come with its own set of challenges with so-called next gen games dropping below 1080p. And UE4 games shipping in disastrous state despite having 5-7 dev cycles.

Nintendo devs has not gone through that and they will struggle just like everyone else. You could argue that the Wii U and the Switch are as powerful as the PS3 but i dont think a single game released on the Wii U or Switch approaches Uncharted, Killzone, TLOU or GOW caliber visuals. Put Mario Kart next to Motorstorm or GT5 and its not even close.

I remember reading a behind the scenes doc on Uncharted Drake's Fortune and how ND had to throw away a year's worth of work midway through development because their engine just didnt work with the PS3 architecture. This is the best damn studio in the business. Nintendo studios are going to go through these growing pains and looking at how much retro has struggled to develop a Metroid Prime sequel with PS3 era visuals (we have yet to see any footage from this mythical game that was announced in 2015) and how Mario Odyssey simply doesnt look as good as PS3 era Ratchets, I am not super convinced that Nintendo will hit a homerun even if they do get their hands on a Nvidia powered 3 tflops console with RT and DLSS tensor cores. Which lets face it is also an uncertainty given how much Nvidia loves to rip off its consumers.

I am cautiously optimistic that the main reason we havent seen a new mario kart game, a mario 3d game, and a metroid prime game on the switch is because Nintendo wised up and realized the switch is wii u lite. But after seeing ND ship TLOU Part 1 with identical visuals to TLOU2 despite having access to 10 tflops, im not sure if nintendo devs wont just give us a 1440p or 4k version of these very PS3 era looking games.
I have to say I think it's hyperbole to say Nintendo are "decades behind" in terms of visuals. Some of their teams use Unreal Engine 4 and Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild both use PBR authored assets. Their pre baked lighting is also phenomenal in games like Mario Kart 8 and Animal Crossing. They use dynamic resolution scaling and FSR (which along with Unreal Engine 4 and PBR) are all current industry standards. You're talking like they've still not moved into the World of shaders and HD rendering yet lol. It's not 2011 pre Wii U which at that point I would have agreed with your statement. Texture / shadow / rendering resolution especially in their games that target 60fps are the main things that need to be improved to match their fantastic models, lighting and animation quality.

It's going to be very hard for Nintendo or anyone for that matter to match any of Sony's studios visually hell MS Studios games won't be able to do it (outside of maaybe Halo and Gears) and even then it will be subjective and not objective differences and MS have a console with a 2tflop GPU advantage.

My prediction is that if Nintendo uses the leaked "Drake" chip (10gb of ram for games at 100gb/s, a cpu ~10x the current Switch CPU performance and a 1.5tflop handheld / 3 tflop docked GPU, RT, DLSS 2.0) they will be able to produce results that the average person will say looks as good as Rift Apart. The Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda internal teams, Monolithsoft and Next Level Games are right up there with some of the best studios in the World imo in terms of art and animation especially given the hardware they are constrained by and especially considering some of their games target 60fps on such a limited 3 core mobile phone CPU from 2012, a 180gflop GPU from 2015 as the base for development and 3gb of ram for games at just 25.6gb/s.

Nintendo are primed and ready and light years ahead of where they were around the launch of Wii U era which is when they had the same issues every other developer had with the transition to HD. They have many more developers now all sharing assets all using a single platform and they all work in the same building now. They just need the hardware to let their work shine.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

I'm playing right now on PS5 in performance mode (with a VRR OLED display thankfully) and while it looks good it doesn't blow me away. The scale of the environments is what's being pushed over pure visual fidelity. This is the thing that's often forgotten. Dev teams have aims and for Jedi 2 they've went with much larger, more complex environments over just upping the visuals which I have to say I admire especially after coming from Burning Shores which is just like a second base from the second game with slightly prettier visuals.

Last edited:
Well, i am running Jedi on a GPU 2x more powerful than the PS5 so I can provide some clarity here.

The main problem with Jedi is the CPU bottleneck. They've already optimized the CPU usage somewhat, but in GPU bound scenarios where my GPU utilization is at 99% I can go from hitting 55 fps at Epic Settings at 4k using FSR quality (1440p) to sub 35 fps in cpu bound areas like the bar and the main town as the GPU utilization crashes to just 70%. All they have to do here is figure out the cpu issues, multithread them and they will be able to get this game running at 60 fps 4k fsr quality on the PS5 Pro albeit at high settings. High to Epic is roughly a 20% hit to performance.

Most games nowadays are using dynamic resolution scaling anyway. Quality mode on the PS5 is using an internal resolution of 1440p before using FSR... same as what I am doing. It's just that in demanding areas it drops below 900p. So with the proper GPU, it will simply work and run it at 1440p if the GPU power is there without the need for a patch.

it's the game with no DRS or uncapped framerates is what we have to worry about. Something like TLOU Part 1 had the right idea allowing you to uncap the native 4k mode so that when that powerful GPU does come, no one will have to do anything. In Horizon's case they will need to uncap the framerate of the resolution and balanced modes which is really stupid because Insomniac and SSM did that with the VRR patch and it works flawlessly. Just tie it to VRR.

Right. So Jedi Survivor is one of those games too. Performance mode is the only mode with 60 fps but the upper bounds of dynamic res is a pitiful 1080p using FSR to upscale to 1440p. Fidelity mode is capped at 30 fps. They'll need to do the same as Guerilla in order to ever get a good experience on console.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just finished the Burning Shores DLC.

That boss fight at the end is, by far, the most impressive set piece this gen.

I'd honestly rather Horizon 3 not be an open world game, make it linear with more actual set pieces.

Twitter doesn't do it justice, and theres more to it than in this clip.

Also, I played in fidelity mode where it looked even better.

Last edited:
Just finished the Burning Shores DLC.

That boss fight at the end is, by far, the most impressive set piece this gen.

I'd honestly rather Horizon 3 not be an open world game, make it linear with more actual set pieces.

Twitter doesn't do it justice, and theres more to it than in this clip.

Also, I played in fidelity mode where it looked even better.

That's ridiculous 😲 finishing the base game now I can't wait to jump into this

Top Bottom