• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller (Kinda Funny) delays this weeks podcast by 4 days due to multiple expected Sony announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit_data

There we go. 100% confirmation. Sony wont buy From.
I’ve given up on all this. I can’t tell what is plausible or not.

Sony bought Bungie all of a sudden.
Buying all of Kadokawa for From Software and their manga/anime somehow feels more realistic than that.

Markio128

Gold Member
There's been rumors of a new FromSoft IP/game that's a Souls-like. Maybe they could do an announcement this week and then show it off at their summer event?

Timing an announcement of such a thing off the momentum of Elden Ring would be pretty big. All the same, it could be an Elden Ring anime series or film...not necessarily PlayStation-related but the OP does say Sony which could also be film or anime-related, too.

What if it's an Elden Ring animated series with weekly exclusive items/costumes etc. and planned DLC made exclusive to Spartacus on subscription? Gotta think 5D chess moves here 😉

Elden Ring anime series. Spartacus exclusive. DLC roadmap perks for all subscribers. Bet on it.

I only laughed because the timing of this right after Will Smith/Chris Rock couldn't be more ironic 🤣
Will Smith has gone up in my estimation 😂
Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

xHunter

I’ve given up on all this. I can’t tell what is plausible or not.

Sony bought Bungie all of a sudden.
Buying all of Kadokawa for From Software and their manga/anime somehow feels more realistic than that.
When it comes to acquisitions, only a few people know about it. Not even the employees know. The only acquisitions that we knew beforehand or had rumours about was a couple of Microsoft ones when they started their shopping spree. No one knew about bethesda, activision, bungie or even haven.

But i do agree with you that buying Kadokawa seems plausible since it benefits more than one division of sony.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Absolutely no way it's FromSoftware, limiting those guys to one system would seriously hurt their sales. Kojima is a good bet.

FingerBang

Absolutely no way it's FromSoftware, limiting those guys to one system would seriously hurt their sales. Kojima is a good bet.
Acquisitions are not anymore about making games exclusives. Sony could easily buy From Software and make Elden Ring 2 multiplatform.

Bragr

Banned
Acquisitions are not anymore about making games exclusives. Sony could easily buy From Software and make Elden Ring 2 multiplatform.
Most of the acquisitions are exclusive, do you expect Naughty Dog or Sucker Punk to make multiplatform games? something like Elden Ring 2 would fit in with those studios. Call of Duty and Bungie stuff is multiplatform because of the massive microtransaction potential that makes it viable to be cross-platform.

FingerBang

Most of the acquisitions are exclusive, do you expect Naughty Dog or Sucker Punk to make multiplatform games? something like Elden Ring 2 would fit in with those studios. Call of Duty and Bungie stuff is multiplatform because of the massive microtransaction potential that makes it viable to be cross-platform.
Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch games are multiplatform. Most PlayStation stuff is coming to PC.
Only a couple of months ago I would have agreed with you, but the game seems to have changed and these acquisitions aren't just to bring exclusive games to their consoles.

My impression is that the market is consolidating and MS and Sony are slowly moving into publishing to avoid being left out.

DJ12

Not saying it is going to happen but this is a weird cope if ever I've seen one.

They wouldn't care about the sales only from 'one' system (even though at worst it would come to PC anyway). How do you think all Sony first party studios survive.....

Bragr

Banned
Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch games are multiplatform. Most PlayStation stuff is coming to PC.
Only a couple of months ago I would have agreed with you, but the game seems to have changed and these acquisitions aren't just to bring exclusive games to their consoles.

My impression is that the market is consolidating and MS and Sony are slowly moving into publishing to avoid being left out.
You know what I mean, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch is clearly a Playstation brand that builds PlayStation experiences. Most of the big acquisitions over the last few months are still aimed at being exclusive. The reason is the Playstation 4, since it won over Xbox because of its exclusive library, both parties are trying to get that edge for themselves. We will have to wait a year or 2 to get the full picture, but very few of these big new Xbox studios are gonna be multiplatform. I suspect Bungie refused to get bought if they couldn't go multi, I doubt Sony wanted that.

Bragr

Banned
Not saying it is going to happen but this is a weird cope if ever I've seen one.

They wouldn't care about the sales only from 'one' system (even though at worst it would come to PC anyway). How do you think all Sony first party studios survive.....
The big Sony studios have either been owned and built as Sony studios for a long time or benefit from Sony marketing. Naughty Dog survives because Sony built them. Studios that sell big numbers across all the platforms don't like to get tied down unless the company put down absurd money as Microsoft did for Zenimax.

You have 2 Uncharted games on PC. That's hardly "naughty dog games are multiplatform". Sony getting studios means they can just choose where to release their stuff, or games releasing in different timings between all platforms.

Sony didn't lose interest in selling hardware. They make money out of their subscriptions...people buying games on PC is pocket change for them. They want to attract people to their ecosystem and that happens on consoles.

I do think the chip shortage is changing things...but their ultimate goal is and will always be selling those subscriptions to you. Not just the games. And you can't do all that on PC.

All 3rd party studios that sell "hurt" their sales by that perspective. Kojima being one of them btw. He went from a multiplatform series to an exclusive one and didn't seem to mind.

Bragr

Banned
This could be said about literally any acquisition ever…
No, most studios would benefit from Sony's marketing machine and bottom line, but a few studios are so big they don't need it. FromSoftware become that big after Elden Ring. Elden Ring is likely gonna crush the biggest Playstation exclusives sales-wise.

Bragr

Banned
All 3rd party studios that sell "hurt" their sales by that perspective. Kojima being one of them btw. He went from a multiplatform series to an exclusive one and didn't seem to mind.
I think generally, most third-party studios would do good to be a part of the Playstation "family". Death Stranding wasn't a gigantic seller, Kojima might do better within Playstation. And he likely needs the cash if he is gonna continue to make massive games like that.

John Wick

Sony would be crazy not to buy FromSoft. Also Dumbo Ryan would go down in Sony folklore as a legend if he managed to snag them.

DJ12

The big Sony studios have either been owned and built as Sony studios for a long time or benefit from Sony marketing. Naughty Dog survives because Sony built them. Studios that sell big numbers across all the platforms don't like to get tied down unless the company put down absurd money as Microsoft did for Zenimax.
FromSoftware have made numerous PlayStation exclusives already. You think they wouldn't like to get the same treatment as all the other PlayStation studios and not have to search for backing for every project.

If you do, you are wrong. They wouldn't care about sales as long as Sony were happy, and they clearly don't care about being multiplatform either.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
FromSoftware have made numerous PlayStation exclusives already. You think they wouldn't like to get the same treatment as all the other PlayStation studios and not have to search for backing for every project.

If you do, you are wrong. They wouldn't care about sales as long as Sony were happy, and they clearly don't care about being multiplatform either.
They don't need any backing from Sony or anyone after Elden Ring. They care about business, what's best for them. And if their games are gonna sell 20+ million moving forward, then Steam, Xbox, and Playstation are the way to go to expand their business. Playstation would limit their reach.

Will Smith has gone up in my estimation 😂
Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

Ah the night that's birthed a million memes, love to see it.

Sony would be crazy not to buy FromSoft. Also Dumbo Ryan would go down in Sony folklore as a legend if he managed to snag them.

They wouldn't buy FromSoft because Kadokawa would have to be moronic to sell FromSoft to anyone. Why do so after they've had their most successful release yet?

OTOH, Sony could technically afford Kadokawa without issue. I guess they could merge with them as well, but if it's anything Kadokawa-related I think it might be an exclusive multimedia partnership including anime, games, and films.

No, most studios would benefit from Sony's marketing machine and bottom line, but a few studios are so big they don't need it. FromSoftware become that big after Elden Ring. Elden Ring is likely gonna crush the biggest Playstation exclusives sales-wise.

As big as Elden Ring has been, it's only only one game, and the only one from FromSoft that has managed this feat, at this pace. There's no telling yet if a sequel or future releases can sustain this level of sales and general interest, as for all we know Elden Ring could just be a one-off thing helped by a multitude of factors, some of the team's own doing and some outside of their control.

We really need to wait and see how their next multiplatform release, without any (known) platform holder involvement, does before claiming FromSoft are at a level where working with a platform holder on an exclusive is a hindrance. Besides, nothing stops them from doing non-Elden Ring style games as exclusives with a platform holder in-between the big multiplatform releases.

Last edited:
From games would still likely go to PC. They're very rarely on Nintendo anyway. So, it's just losing Xbox which is already a very small percentage of their playerbase.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

No idea who he ”hears this” from though. Does he mean sources or just the old twitter rumormongering.

This guy is plugged in to serious sources. Billion dollar deals that could fall apart for any number of reasons are relayed to him to tease on twitter.

It’s so funny to me when these insiders tease acquisitions. Games leak because they pass through hundreds of hands between devs and QA testers. For an acquisition to leak it would have to be a corporate lawyer or a high ranking executive to leak it. You lose all credibility to me when you start talking acquisitions.
Jeff Grubb did the same thing.

Last edited:
Again even logically speaking it'd be totally idiotic for Kadokawa to sell off FromSoft to anyone, including Sony. The only way anyone is getting FromSoft is if they acquire or merge with Kadokawa.

But would Sony in particular even need to do those when they can just co-develop a new game with FromSoft and Kadokawa staying independent?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Again even logically speaking it'd be totally idiotic for Kadokawa to sell off FromSoft to anyone, including Sony. The only way anyone is getting FromSoft is if they acquire or merge with Kadokawa.

But would Sony in particular even need to do those when they can just co-develop a new game with FromSoft and Kadokawa staying independent?
The interesting thing is, despite the success of the Souls franchise, From are always left to fund their games through either Bandai or Sony.

Kadokawa has never really supported them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Perhaps it'd be easier for Sony to just give Miyazaki a few million dollars as a signing bonus and set up a new PlayStation studio under him in Japan, then poach most of the talent from FromSoftware to work on a Souls-like game.

FromSoftware doesn't own many IPs anyway, so nothing lost there. Then when their first game is announced, just slap "From the creators of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring" and people will buy it like crazy.

I wonder why Sony (or someone else) doesn't do that? Any thoughts?

kyussman

I remember the days when a big announcement tease would leave people wondering what game it might be.......now it's what studio/publisher has been aquired.....urghhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom