• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller (Kinda Funny) delays this weeks podcast by 4 days due to multiple expected Sony announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wait, so what's happening? Is he waiting to report on things he's heard about until after it's officially announced? If so, what's the point?

Also is this the guy from Gamespot back in the day?

No he worked at IGN.

cormack12

Gold Member
Nigga please
That's GTA V

tumblr_myl2qfsZXR1sa4prjo5_250.gifv

leo-j

I think it’s legit if Greg is saying it and IGN PS head is also teasing. If they are recording Thursday I’m assuming something is to be announced before Thursday. We shall see. But seeing how Sony has been super secretive and anti response to everyone else this gen, I am doubtful we even get an announcement this week tbh.

I'm not saying they would have that control to outright block it, but they are the second largest shareholder of the company. They would have some sway. There is no majority owner of Kadokawa. The largest shareholder only holds 9% of the shares. Tencent is at 6.8%. Also, my point was that if FromSoft becomes available, Tencent would just bid on it themselves. It's not like Sony can make some backdoor deal with Kadokawa without Tencent's knowledge.

Again, not how this works.

Shareholders don't have a vote in the day-to-day operations of a firm. And the absence of a majority shareholder doesn't mean that Tencent's 6.8% offers them any protection nor does it imbue them with special bidding powers.

Varteras

Gold Member

Shareholders don't have a vote in the day-to-day operations of a firm. And the absence of a majority shareholder doesn't mean that Tencent's 6.8% offers them any protection nor does it imbue them with special bidding powers.
Also, considering how resistant Japan is to foreign ownership of their companies and buyouts in general, I have a hard time imagining a Chinese company being allowed to buy Kadokawa. Japan would probably do to Tencent what China did to Sony. Interfere in the purchase and give a domestic company first rights.

AmuroChan

Gold Member

You're arguing something that I'm not saying. I never said Tencent has a vote on day to day operation. Nor did I say they have protection from anything. Your points are affirming my initial argument, that Sony does not have special bidding powers OR say in the company and can just buy FromSoft from Kadokawa on the whim.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Also, considering how resistant Japan is to foreign ownership of their companies and buyouts in general, I have a hard time imagining a Chinese company being allowed to buy Kadokawa. Japan would probably do to Tencent what China did to Sony. Interfere in the purchase and give a domestic company first rights.

It wouldn't be buying Kadokawa. It would be buying a subsidiary of Kadokawa. It's analogous to Tango Games being acquired by ZeniMax in 2010 or Grasshopper Games being acquired by NetEase in 2021. Both are Japanese gaming studios being acquired by foreign entities.

Varteras

Gold Member
It wouldn't be buying Kadokawa. It would be buying a subsidiary of Kadokawa. It's analogous to Tango Games being acquired by ZeniMax in 2010 or Grasshopper Games being acquired by NetEase in 2021. Both are Japanese gaming studios being acquired by foreign entities.
I'm still gonna Press X to Doubt on this one. I don't even think that scenario is likely.

AmuroChan

Gold Member
I'm still gonna Press X to Doubt on this one. I don't even think that scenario is likely.

No one has said this is likely. Kadokawa has never publicly said FromSoft is available for acquisition. Every time someone brings up FromSoft in acquisition threads, I'm quick to remind them that FromSoft isn't independent nor are they available for purchase.

I think it’s legit if Greg is saying it and IGN PS head is also teasing. If they are recording Thursday I’m assuming something is to be announced before Thursday. We shall see. But seeing how Sony has been super secretive and anti response to everyone else this gen, I am doubtful we even get an announcement this week tbh.
Has to be this week due to sony ending the fiscal year friday

Last edited:

schaft0620

Where's the news? It's already Monday afternoon.

Greg just said something to the effect of "something is happening today and he will know more soon" on KFGD. I am at work and can't catch it all.

As for Spartacus, we always assumed it was tomorrow. That would be the day the PS+ games get announced. No surprise if its Wednesday.

Last edited:
You're arguing something that I'm not saying. I never said Tencent has a vote on day to day operation. Nor did I say they have protection from anything. Your points are affirming my initial argument, that Sony does not have special bidding powers OR say in the company and can just buy FromSoft from Kadokawa on the whim.

Whether Sony buys Kadokawa has nothing to do with their strategic investment in them and would certainly have more to do with the relationship they've fostered with FromSoftware over the years and the IP that Sony owns.

Not sure if someone stated earlier/separately that Sony had special bidding powers/say.

reksveks

Whether Sony buys Kadokawa has nothing to do with their strategic investment in them and would certainly have more to do with the relationship they've fostered with FromSoftware over the years and the IP that Sony owns.
Think that's even more true wtih Bandai personally. whether Bandai wants to do that, who knows.

yurinka

Factions 2, Firewalk or Guerrillas multiplayer game seems like a good thing to announce with the service

qNGTVf.gif
I think it would be better to announce separatedly the games and the service to explain better each one and to give more exposure to each news. In fact also would be better to spread the game announcements over time because that avoids having long periods without game announcements.

John Wick

Highly unlikely. From is owned by Kadokawa, of which both Tencent and Sony have minority stakes in. Tencent owns 6.8%, Sony 2%. Even if Kadokawa wants to sell From, Tencent is going to have a say in that.
Not really. Tencent's stake isn't even big enough to make a difference if Kadokawa decide to sell.

schaft0620

It sounds like one of the things Greg is talking about is something he is not sure will be embargoed so he does not think he can mention it. So it is either a game (GoW, TLOU) or some sort of PS VR2 invite thing is going out.

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Not really. Tencent's stake isn't even big enough to make a difference if Kadokawa decide to sell.

Tencent's stake isn't to make a difference. Their stake means they have business interest in the company. If Kadokawa wants to sell FromSoft, many companies, including Tencent and Sony will be interested. Sony and Tencent's interests are already obvious, as they are current investors in Kadokawa. That's my point. If FromSoft is available, they're not just going to be gifted to Sony with a bow on top. There will be many bidders interested.

Belthazar

The thing is, the biggest owner of Kadokawa has like 9% of it... so they would have to go buying minority stakes if they want control over it. And for Sony buying Kadokawa as a whole may be more interesting than just From. I would line up pretty well with their recent interest in basically owning anime.

Last edited:
Could sony show off god of war and announce it will be on the highest tier of this new service? That would be interesting and unexpected.

schaft0620

I double checked it and yes, he took that photo in front of the Sony and SIE Japanese HQ. Today Kojima released Death Stranding Director's Cut on PC with another publisher so I assume the visit wouldn't be released to it.
I don't think any of this stuff ties to the announcements, sorry about that, my fault. I am very sure he was walking out of SIE HQ Monday AM and an acquisition makes sense. I wanted to rule out the notion that Kojima is making an Xbox game, when the guy is in Sony Mocap studios and offices every week on his IG.

Its also worth saying that the train station to come into that area is West of your arrow, it makes no sense for him to be walking to his office from the south. Unless he was coming from SIE. He was there very early Monday AM before the work day started, that was the sun coming up. I just got caught up and envisioned him walking out of SIE Japan with a huge golf size check (joking... unless?)

I think it would be better to announce separatedly the games and the service to explain better each one and to give more exposure to each news. In fact also would be better to spread the game announcements over time because that avoids having long periods without game announcements.

People dont need constant dopamine hits of game announcements lmao

yurinka

I don't think any of this stuff ties to the announcements, sorry about that, my fault. I am very sure he was walking out of SIE HQ Monday AM and an acquisition makes sense. I wanted to rule out the notion that Kojima is making an Xbox game, when the guy is in Sony Mocap studios and offices every week on his IG.

Its also worth saying that the train station to come into that area is West of your arrow, it makes no sense for him to be walking to his office from the south. Unless he was coming from SIE. He was there very early Monday AM before the work day started, that was the sun coming up. I just got caught up and envisioned him walking out of SIE Japan with a huge golf size check (joking... unless?)
I don't know, maybe Kojima visited SIE HQ to celebrate with maybe some drinks or food that they shipped the PC port, and who knows if to talk about the next steps of his next project with Sony where they will be able to focus now once he's done with the port. Which according to Norman Reedus would be (at least one of them if they are working on multiple proects at the same time) Death Stranding 2.

Or who knows, maybe now once he finished the DSDC PC port and before the FY ends he went there to negotiate or sign the acquisition of the studio.

If isn't working on another game for Sony or in the acquisition, why would he personally visit the Sony/SIE Japanese HQ?

People dont need constant dopamine hits of game announcements lmao
People prefers to get frequent good news every few weeks instead of getting multiple of them a single day and then to be like a year or more without important announcements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom