• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Multiple Reports Hint At Mortal Kombat 12 Announcement At PlayStation Showcase In May 2023

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
"he expects Sony to have marketing rights for the game"

Sony with marketing rigths for SFVI, Tekken 8 and MK12 it is certainly a reflection of the market and not exactly positive for The competition

It will help their eSports initiative with EVO.

Sony is the only console manufacturer that is big in esports and does a lot of it with fighting games already. Just look at Gran Turismo FIA championships. Even games like Fortnite are big in PS esports tournaments.

It's called PlayStation Tournaments.

schaft0620

"he expects Sony to have marketing rights for the game"

Sony with marketing rigths for SFVI, Tekken 8 and MK12 it is certainly a reflection of the market and not exactly positive for The competition

We don't know what the deal is with MK12, SF6 and Tekken 8 don't have any deals.

Besides, if they did it would be healthier then buying the 3 companies, which is what Microsoft would do.

Hot5pur

I want to see the visual quality of MK12. Graphically NRS makes the best games. Hopefully they figure out how to get away from the clunky animation, but I feel like it's what differentiates MK/Injustice from other fighters.

xrnzaaas

I was always a casual MK player and I lost interest after MK11 when they decided to heavily censor female clothing while having no issues with bare chested male fighters (I guess they don't have to worry about getting injured easier by having more exposed skin).

RAIDEN1

There's a BIG chance that the story of this game will be better than the next MK movie....seeing as the last MK game had a story that was better than the rebooted movie, and could stand on its own as a CG movie next to the 1995 original...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And taken is this year right? Or is it next?

Is this heaven?

That clock...that tease!

masturbating shake it GIF by Smasher Network

Last edited:

Hot5pur

The great think about MK is the visuals, really awesome.
For some reason the gameplay hasn't clicked for me after 9. I think it's when they decided to do the variations it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I am less connected to a character if I don't feel they are "complete" or "customized".

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The great think about MK is the visuals, really awesome.
For some reason the gameplay hasn't clicked for me after 9. I think it's when they decided to do the variations it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I am less connected to a character if I don't feel they are "complete" or "customized".

Rumor is they removed variations. So either MK9 style or PS2-era style where you switch styles mid-kombat.

A reboot with a "more traditional" 3d movement mechanics yet integrated 2d zoning elements. Variations gone replaced with stance cancel trees. Id like to see a samsho art style but expect the "NRS" graphical output we are familar with.

Stamp it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just saw rumors that this will be on the switch. I thought cross gen was bad. I never thought games will be held back by ps360 specs.

Just saw rumors that this will be on the switch. I thought cross gen was bad. I never thought games will be held back by ps360 specs.
It's a fighting game which is likely locked to 2D traversal, it would have been foolish to expect this to be some sort of next-gen benchmark or showcase.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a fighting game which is likely locked to 2D traversal, it would have been foolish to expect this to be some sort of next-gen benchmark or showcase.
It doesnt have to be. Fighting genre doesn’t get to phone in gen after gen while everyone else gets shat on for not innovating.

Switch is 0.19 tflops in handheld mode. Ps5 is 10.2 tflops. It’s literally 53x more powerful. Then there is the ssd which could’ve been used to do some really cool portal type stuff changing levels on the fly. But these idiots have limited themselves not just graphically but also io and cpu wise. Well done.

I really hope this is true, not sure what others here think of MK Konquest but man I had some good memories of playing Deception and Armageddon open world.

Would make sense for the developers as well as it would help them to avoid creative stagnation within the franchise.

yurinka

But this is good monopoly. Microsoft only does bad things. Shut up about everything else
It isn't a monopoly if Nintendo and MS don't invest on fighting games and eSports more is only because they don't want to. Sony doesn't block them from doing so.

If Nintendo doesn't support eSports and in fact even blocks fan made tournaments from existing isn't because of Sony. If MS and Nintendo invest in other genres and not in the development or 3rd party deals of (traditional) fighting games it's because they want, not because of Sony.

In the same way that Sony ask them for a marketing deal, MS could also asked for it and outbid whatever Sony offered them. But MS dediced to invest their money in something else, like acquire Zenimax to get this year Redfall or Starfield as exclusive.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
With SF6 and Tekken 8 stealing all the fighting game spotlight at this point, i would say that NRS Marketing team are a bunch of inept morons.

For a game that (according to their CEO in that call) is coming this year, we're already halfway through May and we haven't even seen a title for it yet. At some point people are gonna start getting PO'd at the silence, and just not care.

Last edited:

schaft0620

With SF6 and Tekken 8 stealing all the fighting game spotlight at this point, i would say that NRS Marketing team are a bunch of inept morons.

For a game that (according to their CEO in that call) is coming this year, we're already halfway through May and we haven't even seen a title for it yet. At some point people are gonna start getting PO'd at the silence, and just not care.

Mortal Kombat is going to outsell Tekken for sure. Also, its pretty obvious that they are waiting on someone else to show the game, PlayStation or Summer Game Fest.

DonJimbo

Loved the Trilogy on the Genesis
And that one game on the PSone
Never played MK again after that felt that the games were trash

Kusarigama

Switch is 0.19 tflops in handheld mode. Ps5 is 10.2 tflops. It’s literally 53x more powerful. Then there is the ssd which could’ve been used to do some really cool portal type stuff changing levels on the fly. But these idiots have limited themselves not just graphically but also io and cpu wise. Well done.
Kalm down man. Wait till you see the gameplay first before assuming things. NRS do the PS5/Xbox series SKU as the lead and then other people work on the PC and Switch port. NRS didn't do the switch port for MK11 someone else handled that.

It's Mortal Kombat, they can start marketing 3 weeks away and still break sales records.

nbkicker

To be honest ill wait and see, never bought the last one due to the female outfit choices, but bought every one before that, but to me mortal kombat has never been top tier, id take streetfighter, tekken or soul calibur over mortal kombat, but will stay open minded when see what they have done with the new game

Kusarigama

Bumping this up. We might get the reveal trailer today, just my hunch.

If not then it would be in pretty poor taste to drop a tweet saying it is almost time and nothing for another week.

Top Bottom