• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo and Tatanka rumoured to be switching to Unreal Engine

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Game should have been UE4 to begin with. RT Lighting, RTAO, DLSS, and TAAU should have been in the game on release. Hell I would have even preferred Unreal's SSGI over what we got.

Kumomeme

74183_4_xbox-rolls-with-the-punches-embraces-halo-craig-meme-as-new-mascot.jpg

II_JumPeR_I

Slipspace is a disaster. Laughable to think they spent years on this engine.
Its just a updated version of the Blam Engine from Halo 5.
Probably struggles with the stuff they wanna do in their br mode.
Also gives them the chance to seperate the BR mode from the dead game that is Infinite

How long will that all take? Infinite is already out there and they’ll need to choose a point in time to make the switch, and time a content drop to match it.

This actually might result in something interesting, get coalition to share some expertise and the next halo might be a hit.
Will it lose that Halo feel though? I mean the engine is basically an updated version of the original Bungie engine. At this point I wouldn't care that much as long as it still played well.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
If Unreal engine leads to better Halo games all the better. It's not like MS doesn't have the money to pay royalty fees to Epic.
They probably can do what Bethesda did to have full control of the gamebryo engine. Use it as a base to make their own. But I fear that they will choose to go the Star Citizen route: pay for a license and then "hack it" to do what they want it to do. It make no sense when with Bethesda and Activision they have so many options. And I am sure that they could go to EA and have a good deal on some of their engines if by miracle Activision (And Blizzard for god sake!) are not good enough.
Truly the ugliest AAA game of all time.

While everyone was up in arms about that pic, I was shocked they actually released this as an official image in order to get people hyped about their game. This was the screenshot that sealed 343 as being completely inept.

herearefirst_3217953b.jpg

They even proudly put their logo on it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
For me the worse was the ship that move on the sky. That one felt honestly PS2 era:
at 2.40 .
The problem is that for a Xbox one game it was ok(with caveats of course) but as a next gen showcase it failed hard. The same trailer in 2018 and a big ALPHA put everywhere would in my opinion have a better reception.

ZehDon

How long will that all take? Infinite is already out there and they’ll need to choose a point in time to make the switch, and time a content drop to match it.
Moving the entire studio over to the Unreal Engine pipeline? Probably around a year, though various elements will come online significantly faster than others.

I doubt Halo Infinite as it is swaps to Unreal Engine. Six years of sunk development time for this mess? Microsoft would be certifiably insane to invest another year in an Engine swap for an already released-and-failed game. I suspect Tatanka has been cancelled for Halo Infinite, and will be part of an entirely new Halo game built from the ground up for Unreal Engine. We know Joseph Staten is working on a new campaign, if Microsoft are smart, he'll be helming the new title. If they pull resources from Halo Infinite today, they could have a new Halo game, launching content and feature complete, done in about four years and change. Just in time for this console generation to wind down.

oldergamer

It using unreal would be good. Less engine issues and more focus on graphic fidelity and game play. I said in the past that they never should have ditched unreal engine on infinite. It set them way back.

Using a different engine wont impact player progression. Might add time but they can handle code to make sure everything works under the hood.

Last edited:

While everyone was up in arms about that pic, I was shocked they actually released this as an official image in order to get people hyped about their game. This was the screenshot that sealed 343 as being completely inept.

I literally can't see anything ugly about this picture..... Because it destroyed my eyes even before I could see any shape forming.

That said, this is actually the sorry state they planned to release the game in. Imagine the shitstorm if they truly did, it would be of legendary proportions never seen or heard before.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I could see this being true for the BR mode, but wouldn't this move completely kill Forge if it was for Halo in general?

FUBARx89

Wait wait wait. The Slipspace Engine is just the old Halo engine gussied up? Like the Tiger Engine is for Destiny?

Dane

They own bathesda why aren’t using ID tech ?
It ain't broken don't fix situation, Arkane Austin for example never used Void Engine unlike Lyon branch. Forza has its own engine that is used for Fable and Flight Simulator. ABK has its own engines.

343i is too reliant on contractors that won't have expertise on a proprietary engine, but rather on Unreal.

Tatanka is the codename for the project that Certain Affinity has been working on supposedly for the last 2-3 years and was originally supposed to release next year in the Fall. It's rumored to be a Halo battle royale game using the slip space engine, so that it would implemented into Infinite. If the switch to Unreal is true, it would likely push back its release to at least 2024 or so the rumors go.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I literally can't see anything ugly about this picture..... Because it destroyed my eyes even before I could see any shape forming.

That said, this is actually the sorry state they planned to release the game in. Imagine the shitstorm if they truly did, it would be of legendary proportions never seen or heard before.

The problem is Halo enemies look stupid anyway, you could get away with it on older generation tech.

On 4k HDR 144hz...... the characters look idiotic.

Last edited:

CuNi

Gotta at least give them credit for sticking to the hardest difficulty Halo always had!

By the time they done with the conversion the 10year support for the game would be well and truly over. Would anyone still be playing?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo 7 will be pretty good but that’s down the road there’s pressure on 343 and Microsoft to make halo infinite better.

intbal

I know improvements can be made and new engines come from old ones, but I'm confused, didn't they say it was a new engine from ground up?
That's what I thought, too.
But the consensus seems to be that it's a modification of Bungie's original code.
It doesn't actually matter either way, AFAIC. That's why I pointed out the Quake evolution.

GymWolf

What hell is tatanka? Sound like a stereotyped indian character you can find in an indie beat em up.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They own bathesda why aren’t using ID tech ?

Probably because that engine doesn’t have the tools that will allow 343i to do what they want, along with the fact that hiring people to learn how to work on it would be hard.

It’s very easy to hire people with experience in unreal, and with the amount of devs working on unreal, there won’t be a lack of tools for any dev to translate their vision.

An engine isn’t just a 3D renderer.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know anything about game engines, but considering how popular and powerful UE are supposed to be, I dont see how a game like Halo is so awesome and complicated that UE cant do it. And it's not like MS cant afford Epic fees either.

Sometimes it seems the big studios do their own thing (as painstaking as it may be) just for the sake of it.

In supply chain, most big companies use SAP to do shipments, along with whatever extra modules you add on. It's a good standard program all big suppliers and retailers use. Of course, some can be rebels and use their own program, but it just makes life difficult. Nobody expects Bob's Burger Joint to do anything fancy. The owner is probably still using a clipboard to sign off on wholesaler drops at his door, but when you got big companies who got money and products that seem to fit SAP, you use SAP.

As Thirty7ven said above, there's also efficiencies because when you use standard programs, lots of people can join the team and hop right into it. At every company I've worked at, just about every person in supply chain and finance know how to use SAP to some extent. Some better than others, but the program is basically the same no matter which company you work at. Now if every company used their own in-house program, good luck training new employees.

Dane

I dont know anything about game engines, but considering how popular and powerful UE are supposed to be, I dont see how a game like Halo is so awesome and complicated that UE cant do it. And it's not like MS cant afford Epic fees either.

Sometimes it seems the big studios do their own thing (as painstaking as it may be) just for the sake of it.

In supply chain, most big companies use SAP to do shipments, along with whatever extra modules you add on. It's a good standard program all big suppliers and retailers use. Of course, some can be rebels and use their own program, but it just makes life difficult. Nobody expects Bob's Burger Joint to do anything fancy. The owner is probably still using a clipboard to sign off on wholesaler drops at his door, but when you got big companies who got money and products that seem to fit SAP, you use SAP.

As Thirty7ven said above, there's also efficiencies because when you use standard programs, lots of people can join the team and hop right into it. At every company I've worked at, just about every person in supply chain and finance know how to use SAP to some extent. Some better than others, but the program is basically the same no matter which company you work at. Now if every company used their own in-house program, good luck training new employees.
Its prideness on being able to be self reliant, which is not even wrong at all, but 343i blundered so hard that they are not in a position to try new experimental stuff, others like Capcom only used UE4 once for Street Fighter V and have improved their in-house tech.

clarky

Gold Member
Didnt they switch to unreal only to abandon it half way on in development for infinite? Might be easier to switch if they already did a lot of ground work.

Im sure i read that somewhere.

VAVA Mk2

Slipspace is a disaster. Laughable to think they spent years on this engine.
I am still mad about the bait and switch we got from the announcement trailer. Looked so pretty to then find out it was basically pre-rendered "target" of what they thought it could be.

The reasons for a possible change is a little more in-depth than bad tools.

The biggest issue in the industry at the moment is the lack of quality devs. All studios are looking for those really talented developers to work on their games. For those high quality devs one of the biggest thing they care about is their body of work. Their linkedin bio is a major flex.
Some studios have the pull of reputation, both in the studio and their IP.
Some of those studios use their own inhouse engines such as Rockstar and Rage, Naughty Dog and TLOU, SMS and GOW, I'd and Doom etc.
These companies can get the high quality devs because it makes their CVs look good. It makes them more attractive as a potential employee and they are guaranteed to learn some really cool shit from the other insanely talented folks in those studios.

So this is where 343 has an issue.
While these top tier studios have inhouse engines, the overwhelming majority of devs like working on UE because it's the number 1 engine used by studios, and to be efficient on it makes them again, more valuable to another company who is using UE on their game. Look how many job ads say "must be experienced on UE". It's the industry default engine.
So why would a quality developer choose to go to 343 when they have a really poor reputation at the moment, which doesn't flatter your linkedin bio, and you then have to work on an inhouse engine that apparently has poor tools and is a pain in the arse to work on. Not only is it a pain in the arse to work on, but this is time you are losing where you could be upping your skillset on UE, and not an engine that everyone laughs about.

So as much as there is a desire to have a good engine, the ability to attract high level devs is the most important thing at the moment for 343i. Unlike those other studios who have inhouse engines, 343 dont have the clout for a dev to choose to work for them like ND, Id or Rockstar do.

JonSnowball

I am still mad about the bait and switch we got from the announcement trailer. Looked so pretty to then find out it was basically pre-rendered "target" of what they thought it could be.
I'm mad because they never thought it would look like that, they just wanted everyone to think it would look like that to pad 5 years to a cush office job where you walk by Master Chief statues every day and make mid TV shows.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
A problem I have with this rumour is that it's entirely from the youtuber Sean W, who is as reliable as Nick from XboxEra. Jez seems to deny the part about new Halo game entirely and Halo itself switching to Unreal Engine, but about the Certain Affinity project he is not sure. As for ACG, I like his reviews but I wouldn't trust his rumours
This entire shit needs some confirmation from someone credible who is not Sean W or riding on another popular rumour.
I told everyone that this rumour was not reliable because it was entirely sourced from Sean W
This tweet thread is worth a read

We will now be able to continue with our investigation.

After our last tweet thread, you still wondering if #Halo will change engines? That's good, that's the subject we're going to cover in this Thread

One point in particular caught our attention
Before reading more, we advise you to consult our 1st Thread concerning Slipspace as well as Faber, so that you have all the necessary elements and know our sources
So, will Halo change engines? You should know that Halo FPS games are based on a rich sandbox and extensive use of the physics engine. Any other engine would need a lot of work to adapt and wouldn't be ready on day 1.
Slipspace is literally optimized for a Halo FPS game, whether it's performance management or sandboxing. That's why you can enjoy a game at 60 FPS, see 120 FPS, even in split screen locally.
Slipspace, according to our sources, was designed to meet this unique need, this genre, this very particular type of game, in its resource management. Where other motors must be able to meet all types of needs on the market.
In sum, these are Jack-of-all-trades, Master-of-none, where Slipspace is studied to excel in its field, for the particular need of a Halo FPS game.
Typically, you have recently discovered the power of the Forge. It acts as an engine within the engine. Many of Faber's tools and functions have been ported directly into the Forge, and it would be nigh-impossible to replicate in any other engine.
At least, not at the same level of quality and versatility that the Forge of Halo Infinite offers, especially concerning the links between static and dynamic objects. This includes the physics of these, and how the player can interact with all of them.
We don't even talk to you about the management of lights, shadows, debugging tools made available to players, in short, you get the idea.
As an example shared by our sources, the Pre-Fab system is imported from Faber. This is the system used by the artists of 343 Industries. The latter allows you to create elaborate & dynamic constructions, and to share instances with other creators.
FeqAyyWWIAUCDr_
Unfortunately, during development of Halo Infinite, the Pre-Fab system within Faber was causing performance issues. This is why it required a lot of extra work to be integrated into the Forge, especially coupled with the Scripting system.
And that's also why the Forge was so offbeat, our sources tell us. 343 Industries really wanted to offer an ideal system for Blacksmiths, without loss of performance, capable of giving great freedom of sharing to creators in the community.
It may be hard to believe for critics of 343 Industries, but the studio really wanted to please players and creators by offering tools as advanced as the support allowed them, to give you complete freedom. creative.
If we had to take an example, it's a bit like Pokémon. The engine used by GameFreak is far from the best available on the market, we all know that, but it is adapted to the needs of the game and optimized for it, and allows the team to move forward properly.
So, will Halo Infinite change engines? Absolutely not. It's not on the program according to our sources, they even wondered how it could have been a credible rumor. It makes no sense, from a human, technical and business point of view.
Halo Infinite, at this point, as well as all content for the game, all future experiences for the title, are, and will be, designed through and for Slipspace.
On the other hand, one point strongly challenged us during our exchanges. Our sources tell us that a very small part of the internal team at 343 Industries is currently working on "new experiences" Halo.
When we say “new experiences”, this includes the exploration of new avenues for the continuation of the adventures of the Master Chief, but also other projects in Research & Development (R& ;D) , as could be be AR and VR experiences (these are just examples).
For these "new experiences", they are indeed evaluating if Slipspace meets these needs, or if it is necessary to call on other resources, and therefore an engine more suitable for these experiences , like Unreal or Unity for example.
As we explained to you above, Slipspace responds admirably well to the needs of a Halo FPS, but typically, to give a very telling example, you will not produce Halo Wars 3 with this engine, it is not just not suited for the task at the present time.
For example, Unreal could be ideal for Virtual or Augmented Reality experiences, where Faber would not meet the needs of these platforms and would require too many resources to be adapted to them. Could this be the source of this rumour?
Suddenly, we are perhaps a little too naive, and we put forward the following hypothesis: Maybe some Halo Content Creators have sources somewhere, indeed. But then, 2 possibilities:
Either these sources deliberately mislead these Content Creators by sharing bits of information free to interpret, or far too old to be relevant. Or...
Either these Creators voluntarily distort the words of their source to make the click while keeping a very small background of truth so as not to be treated as a 100% liar by having absolutely everything wrong. We want to believe in the goodness of people, so we don't judge.
This ends our Thread regarding #Halo Infinite & Slipspace, and whether or not the game will change engines (no). Our next Thread will focus on the future of Halo Infinite, and there we have some rather interesting information. See you soon

Here is the result of our investigation regarding Slipspace, the reality of the tool and its impact on #Halo , in the form of Thread

Are Faber & Slipspace bad tools as you have often heard? It's not really the story that we had.

The sequel
Before continuing, a transparency point and a message. First, our sources. We have several, which we have classified into 2 categories, detailed below: external sources, and internal sources. That is to say you ask yourself?
Our external sources wish to remain anonymous, and given their responsibilities, we understand. We checked their identities. The deal is simple: we do our research, and they agree to confirm, correct or deny our findings. Absolute confidence.
Internal sources? Well that's us! Through research, data-mining and also luck, we find many elements that allow us to establish causal links. We are rarely wrong because we do not share anything if we are not 99% certain.
Finally, a message to Youtubers #Halo : You have the trust of the community, and therefore, a great responsibility. If there's nothing to say about the game, it's sad, but it's better to say nothing than to damage the morale of the community with inventions.
Now that all that is said, let's get started! You may have seen on Twitter that we were researching Slipspace and Faber, 343 Industries' tool for Halo Infinite. We wanted to know if the rumor that the tool was difficult was true
Answer: No, not quite. According to our sources, Slipspace & Faber would even be excellent, currently qualified as sometimes much better than other publicly available engines and tools, such as Unity or Unreal Engine. We summarize this for you

For example, Faber offers an incredible experience, if not better, on the following points: - Automatic organization of projects - Optimized cutting of 3D levels and assets to support different platforms - Excellent procedural generation tools
- A terrain editor qualified as "amazing"
- Very good tools for building the world and experience, to manage the placement of elements, AIs or actions pre-defined by the Designers responsible for missions and sections in the campaign.
That said, Faber seems to have its share of problems, for example:
- Crash several times a day
- Very powerful for elaborate uses but may require crossbeam solutions for simple things
- Undoing an action had a 75% chance of crashing the project
- In case of crash loading assets could take hours
- Some at 343 were going to take their lunch break while everything was loading
- Artists could sometimes lose hours of work if they weren't careful about undoing action (lived experience)
That said, these issues were true during the development of Halo Infinite only. Since then, 343 Industries has worked a lot on it. Although some of these issues persist, our sources describe Faber as today "much more stable and faster"
FenhiCRXEAA9Z_b
This means that there are now far fewer crashes when producing assets, maps or new experiences, allowing artists to work more efficiently. It's not the tools that are currently holding 343 Industries back from moving fast.
The problem actually comes from the manpower still available to create content on Halo Infinite. Between departures and a Microsoft-wide hiring freeze, 343 has struggled to keep pace with the demands and needs that a Game As A Service game requires.
It is not simply necessary to understand the production of 3D elements, but also the programming required for them, storing the data, monitoring the actions and statistics of the players, requiring engineers in addition to the artists available.
Basically, understand that just because you see a working "DMR" in a leak doesn't mean it would work properly online. Weapon kills need to be tracked, logged, etc. And that requires missing manpower.
The team had to receive help from studios to produce elements, unfortunately, external events prevented this. 343 Industries tries to optimize their resources as best as possible to move forward on the right path, but we will come back to this subject later.
So... Are Slipspace and Faber the hell that rumors have been selling you lately? According to our sources, absolutely not, quite the contrary. Like any tool, problems persist of course. But worries about 343 Industries' pacing lie elsewhere.
This ends our Thread about Slipspace and Faber, 343 Industries' tool for creating content on Halo Infinite. Our next Thread will focus on the relationship between Slipspace and #Halo , and whether or not the engine is suitable for licensing. See you soon

Did people think that they will abandon everything after investing so much time and money into it, making the best Forge mode (which just would not even be possible in Unreal)?

56:43 After this, Jez now seems to be regretting writing that article. He is sure Halo Infinite is not "switching engines"(as if there is a magic switch button) but is 50/50 on Tatanka being on Unreal. Meanwhile dataminers are already detecting Slipspace Engine builds of Tatanka.
1:05:34 Oh Jez, you are wrong again. The UI of MCC is in Unreal Engine, not Infinite.
Sadly just like "Fable is a MMO" or "Perfect Dark is a GAAS", people will believe this shit sourced from a youtuber with no track record.

Last edited:
I told everyone that this rumour was not reliable because it was entirely sourced from Sean W
This tweet thread is worth a read

Did people think that they will abandon everything after investing so much time and money into it, making the best Forge mode (which just would not even be possible in Unreal)?

56:43 After this, Jez now seems to be regretting writing that article. He is sure Halo Infinite is not "switching engines"(as if there is a magic switch button) but is 50/50 on Tatanka being on Unreal. Meanwhile dataminers are already detecting Slipspace Engine builds of Tatanka.
1:05:34 Oh Jez, you are wrong again. The UI of MCC is in Unreal Engine, not Infinite.
Sadly just like "Fable is a MMO" or "Perfect Dark is a GAAS", people will believe this shit sourced from a youtuber with no track record.

Fair enough but after Infinite it's time to bin the Shitspace engine and use something else.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Fair enough but after Infinite it's time to bin the Shitspace engine and use something else.
You can't make something like Forge on Unreal Engine(which provides playes with Faber tools that 343i themselves use for Infinite), neither will it be able to replicate the Halo physics, it won't feel like a Halo game. Its meant for Halo and gives us 4K at 60 fps and 120 fps modes. I agree with this post in HaloGAF, they should look into the success of Call of Duty and get one of those Activision support studios to help with Halo. The tweet thread also specified that Slipspace Engine has improved a lot since pre launch.

Last edited:
The Slipspace engine is fine.
It's the art that needs work, especially on the enemies that are more organic like the grunts and brutes.
That said, a BR game would be bigger than a standard BTB map, so curious to see how that would play.

The Slipspace engine is fine.
It's the art that needs work, especially on the enemies that are more organic like the grunts and brutes.
That said, a BR game would be bigger than a standard BTB map, so curious to see how that would play.
Graphics are a very important part of a AAA game and that engine is a generation behind. It plays fine obviously but we are getting dated visuals already, and this is a 10 year product apparently 😳

Graphics are a very important part of a AAA game and that engine is a generation behind. It plays fine obviously but we are getting dated visuals already, and this is a 10 year product apparently 😳
I agree graphics is very important right behind gameplay for these kind of games. I just think the artist at 343 are kinda ass when it comes to doing anything that isn't armor.
Good art can go a long way to making things look good/great.

I could be totally wrong that it isn't the engine holding it back, but the character art doesn't seem to be all that taxing and can be improved a ton. I suspect making the game so that it would be able to run on an OG Xbone is the culprit as well as not having top tier artist. I would love to see a Halo built from the ground up with the Series consoles/PC as the baseline to perhaps see what it can really do.

oldergamer

You can't make something like Forge on Unreal Engine(which provides playes with Faber tools that 343i themselves use for Infinite), neither will it be able to replicate the Halo physics, it won't feel like a Halo game. Its meant for Halo and gives us 4K at 60 fps and 120 fps modes. I agree with this post in HaloGAF, they should look into the success of Call of Duty and get one of those Activision support studios to help with Halo. The tweet thread also specified that Slipspace Engine has improved a lot since pre launch.
That is 100% incorrect. Of course you could make forge with unreal powering it. It wouldn't be the first time a different editor was bolted on top of unreal engine. You might have to go back pretty far, but there was a game release by Pseudo interactive that had a in game editor. Current halo games use a standard physics engine. Most of what you just stated is incorrect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom