• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo and Tatanka rumoured to be switching to Unreal Engine

Del_X

Unreal engine 5 wasn't even ready when Halo Infinite was in development. The first full release was only a few months ago...

I just don't see how you can say "they already tried it" when it's a very different engine and toolset now.

oldergamer

Jason is not the only one who supported this theory. The guy who originally leaked this is pretty reliable buddy, he was thee first one who leaked this story and no one ever debunked him. I remember it was known fact around 2020-21 that 343i tried building Halo Infinite with Unreal Engine initially, they were just not "'considering it". How many more times do I have to dig for the same shit from different sources? Slipspace Engine only came to the picture in 2017-2018 when they rebooted it.
That said it is still possible that Tatanka(Certain Affinity's game mode) was always in Unreal Engine, since it is very different from traditional Halo multiplayer. Kinda like the UI of But Halo as a whole? Never.

Because people who buy Halo would rather have it play and feel like a Halo game.

Not really the same thing. Final Fantasy XVI was made by an entirely a different team and is set in the world of XIV. Halo Infinite's biggest issue is its lack of content and to fix that you would rather make more content for your game then to start everything and throw everything away.

You aren't giving any reasons why they are all wrong either.

Forge is mostly the internal tools 343i uses in Slipspace Engine to make maps. Switching to Unreal would mean giving it al up. If they are gonna spent years(mind you this will take forever) completely rewriting Unreal for Halo with Blam/Slipspace code, why even use Unreal. Better import codebase from id Tech or IW engine to Slipspace. Same reason Bethesda does not just use id Tech
[/URL]
They are wrong because its the dumbest thing i ever heard. If developers I worked with told me this, I would call bullshit. With the right amount of time, of course its possible. I've worked with enough 3d engine programmers, R&D engineers, and tools programmers to have a pretty good idea of what is and isn't possible. sorry but I'm not going to go line by line refuting random rumors from twitter.

I know what forge is dude. It doesn't matter, it could be recreated or even ported to other game engines. It wouldn't take years either. I don't think you understand what type of effort it takes to develop actual game software & tools.

Corndog

Banned
They are wrong because its the dumbest thing i ever heard. If developers I worked with told me this, I would call bullshit. With the right amount of time, of course its possible. I've worked with enough 3d engine programmers, R&D engineers, and tools programmers to have a pretty good idea of what is and isn't possible. sorry but I'm not going to go line by line refuting random rumors from twitter.

I know what forge is dude. It doesn't matter, it could be recreated or even ported to other game engines. It wouldn't take years either. I don't think you understand what type of effort it takes to develop actual game software & tools.
I think it’s possible but the amount of effort would be huge. Better to stick with improving current engine.

Last edited:

CuNi

Jason is not the only one who supported this theory. The guy who originally leaked this is pretty reliable buddy, he was thee first one who leaked this story and no one ever debunked him. I remember it was known fact around 2020-21 that 343i tried building Halo Infinite with Unreal Engine initially, they were just not "'considering it". How many more times do I have to dig for the same shit from different sources? Slipspace Engine only came to the picture in 2017-2018 when they rebooted it.
That said it is still possible that Tatanka(Certain Affinity's game mode) was always in Unreal Engine, since it is very different from traditional Halo multiplayer. Kinda like the UI of But Halo as a whole? Never.

Because people who buy Halo would rather have it play and feel like a Halo game.

Not really the same thing. Final Fantasy XVI was made by an entirely a different team and is set in the world of XIV. Halo Infinite's biggest issue is its lack of content and to fix that you would rather make more content for your game then to start everything and throw everything away.

You aren't giving any reasons why they are all wrong either.

Forge is mostly the internal tools 343i uses in Slipspace Engine to make maps. Switching to Unreal would mean giving it all up. If they are gonna spend years(mind you this will take forever) completely rewriting Unreal for Halo with Blam/Slipspace code, why even use Unreal? Better import codebase from id Tech or IW engine to Slipspace. Same reason Bethesda does not just use id Tech

You still go back and forth between posts that say "considered" with no explanation whatsoever and a dude on a forum literally being "trust me bro!".

Saying "it was a known fact" when googlijg those terms literally the only pages that pop up are citing exactly said guy from the forum as the only source, is questionable at best.

That's exactly the same amount of info as when the guy posted on YouTube to say "halo Infinite is being ported over to unreal engine". It's also just "trust me bro".

So to sum it up, no you don't have any evidence that it was actively designed and developed on unreal besides whatever "considered" means and a random unknown unverified guy on a forum saying "ye absolutely!!" and media citing him as a rumor just as they are now with infinite switching to unreal.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
With all the acquisitions MS has made, surely they now have the in house talent to put together an engine that rivals Unreal.
They wom't unless it's improvement fork of existing codebase. Engine isn't just graphics, you would be constantly loosing to Epic, because they just makes the engine, those skins and shit in Fortnite does not really take that much time to make... And yes they already have better engine for FPS than anyone else. But would this engine work for something like open world? Probably it would, but the tools are not made for such taks. So no, possibly no 1st party engine will be as flexible as Unreal, so it depends how you rate it.

Pretty much no Engine stands competitive to ID Tech 7 core architecture. It's actually really impressive. Truly parallel architecture, no a other Engine, not even UE 5 is like that. On the flip side ID Tech 7 does not have Nanite and Lumen. So comparing software which can handle whole interactive audiovisual spectrum of stuff would be really tough.

Halo Infinite and Slipstream sucks, I can't see big enough band aid to fix that.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You still go back and forth between posts that say "considered" with no explanation whatsoever and a dude on a forum literally being "trust me bro!".

Saying "it was a known fact" when googlijg those terms literally the only pages that pop up are citing exactly said guy from the forum as the only source, is questionable at best.

That's exactly the same amount of info as when the guy posted on YouTube to say "halo Infinite is being ported over to unreal engine". It's also just "trust me bro".

So to sum it up, no you don't have any evidence that it was actively designed and developed on unreal besides whatever "considered" means and a random unknown unverified guy on a forum saying "ye absolutely!!" and media citing him as a rumor just as they are now with infinite switching to unreal.
That "random person in the forum", was the first one to even propose that Halo Infinite was originally made in Unreal Engine. At that time no one had considered the idea that 343i was internally testing Unreal Engine(or just never knew MCC's UI was in UE).
Sean W's rumor had people like Jez cast doubt at him and regretted supporting that rumor. But no one ever debunked "random person in the forum", even though it was picked up by some sites. Instead we had Jason Schreier independently verifying his findings. And mind you both Jez and Daniel Ahmad (ZhugeEX) were very eager to debunk the "Fable is a MMO" rumor(started by this guy).
Mind you, Halo Infinite itself got rebooted around 2017-18, again later confirmed by Jason himself. This was around the same time Slipspace Engine(an evolution of the original Blam Engine) came into picture. Which again lines up with what Soul Flame said.

This misconception of information is similar to the $500 Million budget rumor that MS had for Halo. Both seemingly have been debunked, yet the conversation continues.

Last edited:

CuNi

That "random person in the forum", was the first one to even propose that Halo Infinite was originally made in Unreal Engine. At that time no one had considered the idea that 343i was internally testing Unreal Engine(or just never knew MCC's UI was in UE).
Sean W's rumor had people like Jez cast doubt at him and regretted supporting that rumor. But no one ever debunked "random person in the forum", even though it was picked up by some sites. Instead we had Jason Schreier independently verifying his findings. And mind you both Jez and Daniel Ahmad (ZhugeEX) were very eager to debunk the "Fable is a MMO" rumor(started by this guy).
Mind you, Halo Infinite itself got rebooted around 2017-18, again later confirmed by Jason himself. This was around the same time Slipspace Engine(an evolution of the original Blam Engine) came into picture. Which again lines up with what Soul Flame said.

No. Again, you're mixing things up.
Jez confirmed that his internal sources said they "CONSIDERED" Unreal Engine.
Your guy on the forum is the only soul in existence, that is also quoted by Articles, even SAYING he is the only source, who says they DEVELOPED on Unreal Engine.

There is a gigantic difference between "considered" and "developed".
You can't bring up one of them to prove the other, as they are saying completely different things.

The difference why the guy now gets debunked is simply because his claim attracted more media coverage.
We had multiple YT-Videos, outlets and forums shoot into high gear and talk about this supposed mid-game change of Engines.
Your guy was covered by 2 or 3 smaller outlets, most of which I haven't even heard of prior to searching. If Jez and other people would have to debunk every little claim that is posted on some corner of the internet, they'd have to spend most of their working time quoting people to debunk them.

Top Bottom