• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

I only had time for training last night but the game seems promising so far. I’ve played a good amount of Reach (MCC), and Halo 5 and I’m decent at both. Hopefully I won’t suck at this.

I just can’t make up my mind how I want my controls to be. I usually go with Bumper Jumper because jumping while aiming just makes the MP much smoother in these games. However unlike the MCC and 5 (unless they updated the games recently otherwise) you can customize the buttons for any control scheme, which means I can finally make Reload X instead of B on BumperJumper.

So I’m not sure if I want to stick with default B&J for muscle memory or go:

X-Reload
RB-equipment
B-melee

Having grapple on RB would be nice. 🤔
Man I can’t decide. I wish the Xbox controller had 3 shoulder buttons per side because I ain’t buying a controller with paddles just for this.

SkylineRKR

Really liking this game, enjoyed quick play for some hours just now. But the progression is awful if you're into that. The only way to level up seems to be doing objectives, which is stuff like Get 5 Battle Rifle kills or w/e. The problem is that this hampers team play (depending on the task). You could say this for any game, but Halo doesn't seem to give out regular XP. I think I'm level 1 after a dozen of matches. Because I don't give a shit about doing forced stuff.

This isn't a problem, I've played 100's of hours of Quake 3 etc way back, but we've become used to incentives to play, boasting ranks, and unlocks.

I don't get it. Under display adapters it only has my 1060 selected. I have two cards. A 1060 and a 3070 ti. The 3070 isn't even an option. Went into Nvidia control panel and I don't have an option to select one card for global settings or per program. But it recognizes both the cards. The 3070 is on the first PCIe slot. Been struggling with this one.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Interesting that most of the complaints im seeing are about the unlock rate of cosmetics - not about the actual game itself.
This is all for nothing though because theyve already said they are re-working the progression system - its just going to take a bit of time post launch.

The core game is great. My beef is it needs more maps. I hope they dont fall into the trap of flooding matchmaking with forge created maps once it releases (like Halo 5 matchmaking).

Ive already posted this but it needs a slayer playlist - which im sure theyll add.
Im wondering if they are forcing all these objectives to show people Halo is more than just shooting bad guys. Oddball was always pretty fun and hilarious. Objective gametype Halo is typically pretty difficult though - especially for the mindless F2P masses. I feel like most players dont understand in multi flag you have to return your flag to base to score.

jaysius

Banned
Is it too much to ask for selecting a playmode you want? People are especially retarded with CTF and that stupid Power Seed one they at least understand that one, but still nobody is there to defend you while you carry it.

I just want slayer in the small stuff and slayer in the big maps, ok the control point thing works too, but the other modes that require teamwork... halo brah dawgs aren't the type to figure that kind of advanced thing out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Interesting that most of the complaints im seeing are about the unlock rate of cosmetics - not about the actual game itself.
You Dont Say The Big Lebowski GIF

SkylineRKR

Yeah I mainly enjoy Team Slayer and control. Oddball and CTF are fun for one go or so but I rather put my game time into Slayer. CTF never really works with randoms. You won't get much support when you make a run and not many times someone will stay behind to guard you. Its impossible to coordinate a run.

What it means that if the complaints are mainly geared towards progression, is that this is a solid MP shooter. Be happy with it. Infinite has a good PvP.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is performance mode on the Series S 120fps? The picture looks crisp and clear, definitely a decent resolution and LOD.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo is all about the multiplayer and being prepared for short distance and long distance fire, look at the weapons, it’s a solid list of above average assault weapons, smgs and snipers.

MachRc

I'm just bummed my progress from the last flight didn't stick around. Thought at least I would be able to keep all those cosmetic stuff we got to have lol.
That progression system was better, faster, and I have to admit, I do enjoy dressing up my character( I mean its dope) I know we all long for the hayabusa stuff like halo 3.

I looked cool with those colored visor, helmet, arm things, leg things. a chest strap thing, colored guns. I had a cool motif.
Now I look like a noob.

I like the new maps, still love the multiplayer big teams battles. I do love that I can have my kid join or anyone join me without them having a paid account on xbox. Good move.

link1201

Has there been any word on if the Battle Pass is what it is until Season 2? I was thinking there'd be more Helmets etc.

JoeBudden

I genuinely think this is why they are calling it a beta, the feedback on the progression is the only real negative I agree with and see being shared all over the internet. It's far too slow. They need to change this.

The rest is nmothing to do with gamepass and is purely down to Free to play, all this shit was cemented with Fortnite, COD, Apex well before halo and if it makes it free to play I'm all for it.

I cant believe every person ive spoken to at work is jumping on this tonight, the hype is real. It would have never made it without being free to play. The worst part is microsoft do not have series X for sale in the UK to capitalize on this shiz haha.

Warzone and Apex Legends are F2P and are not as egregious as this game in terms of MTX.

Just because MTX exists in other games, doesn't mean it's as aggressive in those other games.

JoeBudden

This is a post-Fortnite future. MTX do make sense for Gamepass, but we honestly haven't seen a ton of that. It's a logical theory, but it hasn't happened yet.

We haven't seen a ton of MTX?

Forza, Flight Sim and now this all have tons of MTX and pay walling, and all are free under Game Pass. This isn't a coincidence, this is how things will be going forward.

We haven't seen a ton of MTX?

Forza, Flight Sim and now this all have tons of MTX and pay walling, and all are free under Game Pass. This isn't a coincidence, this is how things will be going forward.
I don't agree. Forza and Flight Sim were like this long before Game pass. If we're evaluating the effect of GP on games, nothing really changed in either of those. Halo, it's changed but it's really just emulating the many other f2p FPS games that aren't on GP. I think you're not establishing any kind of causal link. Not to mention the dozens of other games on GP every month that don't have any MTX.

I only had time for training last night but the game seems promising so far. I’ve played a good amount of Reach (MCC), and Halo 5 and I’m decent at both. Hopefully I won’t suck at this.

I just can’t make up my mind how I want my controls to be. I usually go with Bumper Jumper because jumping while aiming just makes the MP much smoother in these games. However unlike the MCC and 5 (unless they updated the games recently otherwise) you can customize the buttons for any control scheme, which means I can finally make Reload X instead of B on BumperJumper.

So I’m not sure if I want to stick with default B&J for muscle memory or go:

X-Reload
RB-equipment
B-melee

Having grapple on RB would be nice. 🤔
Man I can’t decide. I wish the Xbox controller had 3 shoulder buttons per side because I ain’t buying a controller with paddles just for this.
buy a controller with paddles. trust me

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Warzone and Apex Legends are F2P and are not as egregious as this game in terms of MTX.

Just because MTX exists in other games, doesn't mean it's as aggressive in those other games.

Whats so egregious about this game?

Ive played apex from launch and bought every season pass, plus used the store and even bought random loot boxes? Maybe I havent seen how bad Halo is I've seen a season pass and a store page with daily deals just like Apex?

This is a free to play game too right? so we shouldn't compare? Im confused Joe

joe budden vh1 GIF

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Ive played apex from launch and bought every season pass, plus used the store and even bought random loot boxes? Maybe I havent seen how bad Halo is I've seen a season pass and a store page with daily deals just like Apex?

Halo doesn't even have loot boxes like Apex. It has a battle pass and store deals.

JoeBudden

Have you really played Apex Legends? Cause then you would understand how many loot boxes they give away for free with level progression alone. Most of the events give away free content too.

Likewise with Warzone with how there's so much free content outside of the paid content. This game just isn't comparable. But like I said, I expect them to fix this

Last edited:
The problem with the battlepass is that you get no reward for being a good teammate and playing the objective so people who wouldn’t contribute in the first place are now grouped with people who only care about BP progression.

I don’t care about unlocks personally, I’ve got so many unused tokens in MCC. What I do care about is good gameplay and content, this game is very polished, but it’s still bare bones and lacking a lot. Forcing me to play modes I don’t want to play with Quick Play is not fun, save that for Ranked. The game doesn’t even have SWAT, 90% of a matches are Oddball on Recharge and Aquarius with people who don’t ptfo.

Hopefully they make some changes coming out of the beta in a month. Good game, really great potential.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Is custom games mode editor broken?

Im trying to set up specific load outs for testing maps and guns with bots, but every time I edit something it reverts back to default

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I don't agree. Forza and Flight Sim were like this long before Game pass. If we're evaluating the effect of GP on games, nothing really changed in either of those. Halo, it's changed but it's really just emulating the many other f2p FPS games that aren't on GP. I think you're not establishing any kind of causal link. Not to mention the dozens of other games on GP every month that don't have any MTX.

Strong disagree. And, Halo'a F2P model is completely different from Apex, Warzone, Fortnite, etc. This game hardly gives away anything for free.

Reave

It's a fairly lean experience, but its polish is undeniable and feels great to play.

But...

That battle pass progression is booty juice.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Strong disagree. And, Halo'a F2P model is completely different from Apex, Warzone, Fortnite, etc. This game hardly gives away anything for free.

point is do they give you anything that makes you better that the game? If so then that’s a bit shit but if it’s just cosmetics I don’t see a problem

This game has convinced me I need to pull the trigger on a 65” LG C1. Still working on the Mrs for that though and may need to sell some shit to justify it.

Anyone wanna buy stuff?
I am assuming you'll be selling the wife's clothes and shoes, which I'll have no use for unfortunately.

Kev Kev

Does anyone know if you can setup a custom game with bots?

that would be amazing but I’m having trouble figuring it out.

EDIT: we’ll I figured it out but it broke then game because it crashed lmao. Waaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. All I wanted to do was edit a playlist to have AR starts and some other things turned off. But saving files and then finding it and applying it to bot games is a not very intuitive process (as far as UI navigation goes). But I think I figured it out.

EDIT 2: maybe not? So as far as I can tell, when it comes to bot matches, they DO NOT allow you to customize the game settings or even pick which game/map to play on. It just gives you a list of game types and maps that it randomly chooses from

someone let me knowing I’m missing something here? Not having the option to customize bot games/maps would be a huge bummer for me

Being able to set up a custom BTB game with some whacky settings and fill it up with bots and just go bananas would be endless fun for me.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Welcome to a post-Game Pass future.

Where aggresive (and egregious) MTX is used to finance game development.

Despite all this, this is the best Halo since Halo 3. And, I expect 343 to make progression better following all the feedback.
Let’s be honest, this has nothing to do with GamePass. Even before GamePass was a thing, Microsoft was pushing shitty MTX and loot boxes in all their major titles for the majority of the last generation. It’s greedy, self centered design.

Which is a disappointment because, as you said, this is the best Halo MP since 3/Reach. But 343i has a tendency to ignore what people want to continue to do stupid shit. So I am not as hopeful as you that they will make any proper changes to fix it.
Is it ptw?
Thankfully no, however there is very little for a F2P player to earn or unlock without spending real world money. You get 8? armor customization options in the battle pass free and they are all the smallest, most inconsequential pieces. All other things you have to spend real world money to get as there is zero way to earn any of currency in game.

An easy way to fix progression is you get battlepass xp if you win matches. Forces everyone to try hard and play the objectives.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm having difficulty finding a button configuration that I like. Bumper Jumper is all sorts of jacked for my muscle memory. Like seriously, putting reload on B, sprint on A, and crouch/slide on left thumbstick? I'm going to keep playing with custom mappings after work today.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

point is do they give you anything that makes you better that the game? If so then that’s a bit shit but if it’s just cosmetics I don’t see a problem

There's no problem in terms of balancing, but when progression and rewards sucks, there's little incentive to play the game for weeks to months.

Again, since this is the single piece of criticism that's sticking out from this great launch, I expect 343 to address it.

Urban

Hey boys !

is there a only tdm mode without objectives ? Played 3 games and it’s good but I don’t like the objectives ^^.

Let’s be honest, this has nothing to do with GamePass. Even before GamePass was a thing, Microsoft was pushing shitty MTX and loot boxes in all their major titles for the majority of the last generation. It’s greedy, self centered design.

Which is a disappointment because, as you said, this is the best Halo MP since 3/Reach. But 343i has a tendency to ignore what people want to continue to do stupid shit. So I am not as hopeful as you that they will make any proper changes to fix it.

Thankfully no, however there is very little for a F2P player to earn or unlock without spending real world money. You get 8? armor customization options in the battle pass free and they are all the smallest, most inconsequential pieces. All other things you have to spend real world money to get as there is zero way to earn any of currency in game.
Eh I've played Apex since launch without spending more then 20$

McCheese

Been enjoying this, brings back a lot of memories.

Battle pass progression is shitty, played for a few matches and barely scraped past the first level, I don't really care about cosmetics but do like the sense of progression you get with these usually but the objectives are way too specific and dictate how you have to play. Feels like it's inspired by Dota but missing the 're-roll' feature.

Gameplay-wise this game is a relic, it's still just as fun now as it was then - but surprised by just how similar this plays to the original game from 20 years ago. If someone said this was just a HD remaster of Halo 2's multiplayer I would have believed them. Framerate is so smooth on Series X, feels great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reading all the buzz and excitement in this thread, then playing the game for an hour or so is making me feel like...

TwilightZone.jpg

It's a 24 player CTF, TDM, and Domination game with no hook...in 2021. I honestly can't understand how people put up with such lack of ambition or creativity in their games. Hope 343 is working on some big mode for 2022.

Will be interesting to see how long this stays popular.

Jennings

While I'll play the objectives in capture/transport type maps, on the deathmatch maps my K/D ratio is about 7/10 (playing on Xbox). I'm constantly getting one-shot by snipers and constantly having to reload (my default AR) and/or switch to pistol to finish off an enemy.

I am terrible and my teams probably hate me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom