• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't believe for one minute that slayer/objective and ffa each having their own playlist will fracture the community. The people that like those types will stick with what they like. They could also cycle in and out playlist like SWAT,snipers etc and see which stick.
It by definition is fracturing the community.

I honestly just don't understand how people will quit out of games because they don't like a certain map or a game type. Like that thought has literally never crossed my mind in any game, ever. I see it all the time on the PUBG reddit, people saying they quit whenever they get a certain map etc. It is just madness to me.

I'm Diamond 3 atm, so whoever I'd be matched with. I can win 2 or 3 in a row, progress goes up a small bit, lose 1, plummits back down a shit ton.
Think about it like say tennis rankings. When you're near the top the only real way to go is down. Diamond 3 is near the top. It's working as intended. If you're losing to teams lower ranked than you and you're not a standout in your team, you should probably move down.

Last edited:
Quitters and cheaters are just people I will never understand. If you are losing and quit, you never learn anything and won't improve. In addition, I've had games with multirounds where we were getting wiped in the 1st round only to turn it around and win the next two----so extremely satisfying.

Cheaters ----- what's the damn point. Oh look, I got 24 kills and zero deaths, but had to cheat to get it. Do you actually feel accomplished for that BS????

Edit: I guess these objective type playlist makes it harder for the cheaters because it's not just about the slays

Last edited:

sainraja

1st people were and are still complaning about the progression system. 343 did some tweaks, but were only a step in the right direction for some. 2nd, they were complaining about a lack of maps/modes 3rd, they are complaining about not being able to select slayer only mode in playlist

Good news is that the gameplay is mostly really good sans complaints about collision detection/whiffed melees and some weapons being almost useless

Edit: The toxicity in the reddit threads are insane from all sides so the mods have suspended it til monday to give people time to chill the F out.
What do you mean by whiffed melees?

Banned
Not necessarily. This is ranked, not just giving out XP. If you win when you shouldn't or you perform really well in a losing team you will move up. If you stomp a team that you should stomp, you shouldn't move up.

The whole point of ranked is to find out where you rank and match you with people around the same ranking. It's not about constantly filling bars. If it's working correctly you should actually very rarely be moving up/down the ranks after you've got to your skill level.

the issue here being, why even matchmake me with people that I will completely destroy? that is basically a useless match for me and for them. I have zero challenge and don't get anything out of it for my ranking. and they will have zero fun and not go lower even tho they get completely annihilated.
I would rather constantly play against teams of a very close Ranking to mine and then see who is better.

Last edited:

Balboa

You don't need to win to increase rank btw. I have increased rank a lot while losing.

The halo community is embarrassing. People carrying on like this because heaven forbid they might get a match type that they don't like, jesus christ.
Okay thanks, is it based purely on objective scoring? For example if I'm playing strongholds and I'm slaying out so that my teammates can capture more zones than me does that mean they're ranking up while I'm ranking down if we lose?

clarky

Gold Member
I'm Diamond 3 atm, so whoever I'd be matched with. I can win 2 or 3 in a row, progress goes up a small bit, lose 1, plummits back down a shit ton.
If you check the score board after the match it will give you player ranks

MrFunSocks

Banned
the issue here being, why even matchmake me with people that I will completely destroy? that is basically a useless match for me and for them. I have zero challenge and don't get anything out of it for my ranking. and they will have zero fun and not go lower even tho they get completely annihilated.
I would rather constantly play against teams of a very close Ranking to mine and then see who is better.
Why? Because otherwise you just might not ever get any matches. Would you prefer that? Does the world number 1 in a sport just sit at the top and go "why would I want to play against someone below me?"?

Also, remember that you're supposed to be playing the game because you enjoy it.

Okay thanks, is it based purely on objective scoring? For example if I'm playing strongholds and I'm slaying out so that my teammates can capture more zones than me does that mean they're ranking up while I'm ranking down if we lose?
Only those at 343 will know for sure, but from what I've experienced your KDA seems to play a big part in it as well, as the objective points. I play the objective 100% of the time, and in doing so sometimes that means I actually get zero flag captures when we've won 5-0 for example, because I'm better at killing people than someone else so instead of me taking the flag I'll lead the way for someone else to get it and return it. I'm not really having any trouble moving up the ranks, though now at Diamond 2 the rate of moving up has significantly decreased. I might lose a few games and go down like 5% of a rank every other one, then I might win one and move nowhere, then I might win one and gain 30%.

Last edited:

Banned
Why? Because otherwise you just might not ever get any matches. Would you prefer that? Does the world number 1 in a sport just sit at the top and go "why would I want to play against someone below me?"?

Also, remember that you're supposed to be playing the game because you enjoy it.

is it enjoyable to you to just play what basically amounts to running back and forth 5 times to get the flag?
because the enemy team was so much worse than mine that they gave up half way into the 2nd flag capture due to being completely demolished in every gunfight.

or is it fun for the other team that can literally do nothing to stop us?

and yes I would wait longer if it meant that the matches were more evenly matched.
I played a lot of Overwatch, and even in that game's heyday you would wait 2-3 minutes to get a match sometimes, in higher ranks it was more like 10 minutes (I was only low Diamond so for me 3 minutes was normal)

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
is it enjoyable to you to just play what basically amounts to running back and forth 5 times to get the flag?
because the enemy team was so much worse than mine that they gave up half way into the 2nd flag capture due to being completely demolished in every gunfight.

and yes I would wait longer if it meant that the matches were more evenly matched.
I played a lot of Overwatch, and even in that game's heyday you would wait 2-3 minutes to get a match sometimes, in higher ranks it was more like 10 minutes (I was only low Diamond so for me 3 minutes was normal)
What rank are you, this is not our experience at all.(diamond)

MrFunSocks

Banned

If that's all you have to do then the match is over in 2-3 minutes so what's the big deal? Ranked matchmaking seems to be working very well for me, the only times I've stomped someone or been stomped is when someone quits at the first sign of it not being a walkover for their team.

Banned
If that's all you have to do then the match is over in 2-3 minutes so what's the big deal? Ranked matchmaking seems to be working very well for me, the only times I've stomped someone or been stomped is when someone quits at the first sign of it not being a walkover for their team.

it would be, but you will of course have the weird random players that then want to rub it in and run around with the flag like, teabagging the air while running around the enemy players n shit. and if they get the flag first it will be a longer match than that lol.

also IMO the game needs a "vote to forfeit" option, that could fix this particular issue

What do you mean by whiffed melees?
There have been games where I was in a fireteam that we have meleed a spartan at least 3 times and they haven't died. I know that they have supposedly patched the collision detection, but I saw it in a game today for sure where both a teammate and I meleed an opponent and they absolute, but still live :(

it would be, but you will of course have the weird random players that then want to rub it in and run around with the flag like, teabagging the air while running around the enemy players n shit. and if they get the flag first it will be a longer match than that lol.

also IMO the game needs a "vote to forfeit" option, that could fix this particular issue
That happen to us where we were getting stomped 2 - 0 on CTF with a bot on our team and getting T-bagged after getting doubled and tripled team. Our match eventually got filled with an actual player and we came back and reversed it on them. I'm not one to T-bag anybody, but I was very tempted.

Naked Lunch

The quitting is insane in this game as I knew it would be - being Free to play now. People will argue that doesnt make a difference but Im already seeing it does - Ive played Halo consistently online since 2007 till now and Ive never seen the quitting thats happening in Infinite. F2P means a large chunk of people playing just wont give 2 shits about the game, their stats, or getting banned.

It was funny having my whole team quit in 4v4 one flag - me and 3 bots. 30 seconds left in round one, we got finally real players and came back and won. This is by far the exception though - usually the bot team gets crushed. And once the game reaches a certain point - real players are no longer filled. Its a fair system though - because no one wants to enter a late game lost cause match.

Last edited:

h00ters

The quitting is insane in this game as I knew it would be - being Free to play now. People will argue that doesnt make a difference but Im already seeing it does - Ive played Halo consistently online since 2007 till now and Ive never seen the quitting thats happening in Infinite. F2P means a large chunk of people playing just wont give 2 shits about the game, their stats, or getting banned.

It was funny having my whole team quit in 4v4 one flag - me and 3 bots. 30 seconds left in round one, we got finally real players and came back and won.
Think a large portion of it is people crashing. I usually play with three other mates in ranked, and I'd say 9/10 games we have at least one of us crashing out at some stage. It's so frustrating because when you get a whole game done with the squad it feels fantastic.

Banned

It was funny having my whole team quit in 4v4 one flag - me and 3 bots. 30 seconds left in round one, we got finally real players and came back and won. This is by far the exception though - usually the bot team gets crushed. And once the game reaches a certain point - real players are no longer filled. Its a fair system though - because no one wants to enter a late game lost cause match.

it's more an issue with the random game modes. no other halo had a launch that is that bare bones. you have 3 playlists and none of them are a pecific game mode, just different setting applied to random modes.

this is by far the worst Halo launch ever, and the playlists is one of the reasons why... the almost nonexistent content is another one... and then there is the absolutely awful monetisation of course.

but the quitting is definitely a combination of the horrendous challenges system + the random game modes... + crashing, i crashed twice today

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Think a large portion of it is people crashing. I usually play with three other mates in ranked, and I'd say 9/10 games we have at least one of us crashing out at some stage. It's so frustrating because when you get a whole game done with the squad it feels fantastic.
You know I was wondering if some of it was due to crashing. I mean it HAS to be - people are dropping like mad in the beginning sections of matches. Ive yet to see crashes on Series X - but perhaps the other platforms? Just today there was a random player on my team doing callouts and everything and suddenly he dropped. Musta crashed.

but the quitting is definitely a combination of the horrendous challenges system + the random game modes... + crashing, i crashed twice today
Definitely a factor as well. I have a friend who only had time for one night to play but he was working on a "win 3 strongholds" challenge - and he said he quit till it came up but he got banned for 5 hours or something.

All in all its just a perfect storm of being F2P and not caring, crap challenges forcing you to hunt for modes that come up randomly, and some pretty frequent crashes.

Last edited:

Banned
You know I was wondering if some of it was due to crashing. I mean it HAS to be - people are dropping like mad in the beginning sections of matches. Ive yet to see crashes on Series X - but perhaps the other platforms? Just today there was a random player on my team doing callouts and everything and suddenly he dropped. Musta crashed.

Definitely a factor as well. I have a friend who only had time for one night to play but he was working on a "win 3 strongholds" challenge - and he said he quit till it came up but he got banned for 5 hours or something.

it's not platform specific, but I think it is triggered by random stuff that happens. for me I crashed twice after a grenade exploded right next to me today. So I think some draw calls in the wrong place, or physics interactions on the client side cause crashes

then he must have quitted a lot. you get a 5 min ban at first, but then it becomes more and more, it will go up to multiple days I think eventually

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

You don't get banned for quitting social quick play matches.

it's not platform specific, but I think it is triggered by random stuff that happens. for me I crashed twice after a grenade exploded right next to me today. So I think some draw calls in the wrong place, or physics interactions on the client side cause crashes

then he must have quitted a lot. you get a 5 min ban at first, but then it becomes more and more, it will go up to multiple days I think eventually
I haven't heard of anyone having a single crash on xbox. I've got like 50 hours on Series X without a single crash.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

My friend absolutely got banned quitting social - ill have to check to be sure. He quit like 8 or 10 in a row to get Strongholds.
I was in the party chat with him (but not playing in his fireteam) when he was doing it. When he finished the challenge, he rejoined my fireteam and we couldnt play because it said he was banned.

Banned

I haven't heard of anyone having a single crash on xbox. I've got like 50 hours on Series X without a single crash.

1: yes you do get banned if you continuously quit social playlists

2: My brother crashed a few times on Series X already. we usually play together since we play Halo ever since we got hooked with Halo 3

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
1: yes you do get banned if you continuously quit social playlists

2: My brother crashed a few times on Series X already. we usually play together since we play Halo ever since we got hooked with Halo 3
I haven't seen anything ever to suggest you get banned from social playlists for quitting, got any sources?

Even in ranked you need to quit out 4 times before getting a 1 hour ban.

My friend absolutely got banned quitting social - ill have to check to be sure. He quit like 8 or 10 in a row to get Strongholds.
I was in the party chat with him (but not playing in his fireteam) when he was doing it. When he finished the challenge, he rejoined my fireteam and we couldnt play because it said he was banned.

Jesus lol. Maybe he should just play the game instead of whining about game modes.

Last edited:

Banned
I haven't seen anything ever to suggest you get banned from social playlists for quitting, got any sources?

Even in ranked you need to quit out 4 times before getting a 1 hour ban.

source, me... I needed Slayer kills and quit every match to get to slayer, because I wasn't in the mood for any other mode anyways... got banned for 5 minutes, turned the game off for the day

Batiman

Banned
The needler is a beast in halo for once. Just have to use it accordingly. Almost a guarantee kill with a quick switch back to BR to take on other opponents

Batiman

Banned
Ed

I rarely get quitters. Only time I see them is when I do quickplay. Which is rarely. I’m always on ranked. Are you in a low ranking? I can see people being less likely to quit being higher ranked and most of the quitters lower.

clarky

Gold Member
it's more an issue with the random game modes. no other halo had a launch that is that bare bones. you have 3 playlists and none of them are a pecific game mode, just different setting applied to random modes.

this is by far the worst Halo launch ever, and the playlists is one of the reasons why... the almost nonexistent content is another one... and then there is the absolutely awful monetisation of course.

No way this is worse than 4,5 or MCC and i'd even argue Reach. Those games dropped like a stone, flat didn't work or in Reaches case just wasn't as fun as 1-3. That was the beginning of the end for Halo nights round our way. I stuck with 5 because of the tight mechanics but fuck it was horrible at launch.

Infinite works for a start, and has the best gameplay since 3, arguably ever. I've got 100 hours on the clock and i've not spent a dime. Easy 8/10 for me so far. Few more maps and playlist and it would be a 10 for me. Each to their own though.

Last edited:
You savage. Just use a challenge swap. Be better.
No challenge swaps. So was i supposed to not knock off the weaklies so that I could get the fiesta challenges. Or maybe I should just throw money at 343 and make it go away. Or just maybe they should designed the game to "be better"especially in regards to events and such.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
How would you review the overall game now btw

i know you’ve always been very critical of their take on halo so would love to hear your honest thoughts

It's 343s best game so far though that is not saying much.

6, maybe 7 out of 10.

I couldn't give 2 fucks about playing dress up and creating my own childish head canon about 'mY sPaRtAn' but their predatory monetisation is objectively shit.

Playlist options are frankly appalling and their attempts at explaining why it is the way it is, is frankly insulting.

Gameplay itself is good. Bloom is still cancer but not as bad as reach. Sandbox is finally king again. Retardo rifle has no business having a headshot multiplier and that needs to be gone, yesterday. All that said I won't be playing it until they nerf the insane controller aimbot. Even if I was still playing FPS games with a controller I wouldn't like infinite because of the childish ease of aiming, it has such a tiny skill ceiling and even smaller skill floor. Makes the game boring unless you're the kind of person who needs to be pandered too constantly. On top of all that, the aim mechanics themselves are fucking horrendous in 2021. Hell, they wouldn't be good in 2001. I still don't get how 343 went from the Halo 5 beta having perfectly fine aiming to changing everything at an engine level that they can't/refuse to fix that makes aiming random and need absolute bonkers levels of aimbot to cover up.

clarky

Gold Member
Explain how it's predatory please?

Tiny skill ceiling and smaller skill floor? lol found the Bronze 1.
Beware the predatory microtransactions! you never know where they may be hiding or whose kids they may abduct!

Whenever somebody says predatory it just makes me think of Jimmy Savile (dead UK celebrity, confirmed peado) not microtransactions .

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
lol Diamond 2 says otherwise but sure, think what you want.
that moment you think diamond in impressive
happy show GIF

Not just that, but diamond with the incredibly low skill ceiling that infinite has

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Play Sports

Last edited:
I still don't get how 343 went from the Halo 5 beta having perfectly fine aiming to changing everything at an engine level that they can't/refuse to fix that makes aiming random and need absolute bonkers levels of aimbot to cover up.

So true it hurts. The Halo 5 beta was perfect, even as an Aussie playing on US servers most of the time. Halo Infinite is complete shit when playing international servers e.g. 125ms and you're guns just stop being effective, regardless of your aim or skill.

Last edited:

Coney

It by definition is fracturing the community.

I honestly just don't understand how people will quit out of games because they don't like a certain map or a game type. Like that thought has literally never crossed my mind in any game, ever. I see it all the time on the PUBG reddit, people saying they quit whenever they get a certain map etc. It is just madness to me.

Think about it like say tennis rankings. When you're near the top the only real way to go is down. Diamond 3 is near the top. It's working as intended. If you're losing to teams lower ranked than you and you're not a standout in your team, you should probably move down.
I get that, but winning against seemingly excellent players isn't being rewarded fairly imo. There's still a ways to go to reach Onyx. With that being said, I haven't checked the ranks of the people who I'm playing against, so they could be lower when I think they're higher.

If you check the score board after the match it will give you player ranks
This will probably solve a lot of the mystery for me lol. Thanks for the heads up.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I get that, but winning against seemingly excellent players isn't being rewarded fairly imo. There's still a ways to go to reach Onyx. With that being said, I haven't checked the ranks of the people who I'm playing against, so they could be lower when I think they're higher.

This will probably solve a lot of the mystery for me lol. Thanks for the heads up.
If the excellent players are similar level to you, or lower, then you won't move up because that's how rankings work. You go up by beating better players or by significantly outperforming similar players. Basically, and they even say this, winning against teams that you should win against doesn't improve your ranking because you were expected to win. Winning matches that you shouldn't win is how you move up mostly.

But yes, definitely just go player by player on the scoreboard after a match has finished, I always have a look to see what I was up against. Sometimes you can see the whole teams' MMR rating too under the team list on the second tab of the post match screen, though it's only ever shown up for me one single time haha.

So true it hurts. The Halo 5 beta was perfect, even as an Aussie playing on US servers most of the time. Halo Infinite is complete shit when playing international servers e.g. 125ms and you're guns just stop being effective, regardless of your aim or skill.
That's just not true at all, can we stop with the hyperbole? Probably 80% of my matches have been on international servers with 120-160ms ping and I'm having no problems topping the leaderboard and getting perfects. The game has client side hit detection so the lag is essentially irrelevant - if you hit someone on your screen in the face with a sniper rifle, even if you have 500ms of lag, they'll die from the headshot 500ms later and you'll get the kill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom