• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

Orbital2060

Cleared my weekly challenges yesterday, but I spent a lot more time this week than last, had a bunch of hairy quests and didnt want to spend all my swaps. Took me 4-5 nights at 2 hours each session to clear all challenges and then did the last 10 matches in ranked placements and got the remaining pvp wins for the weekly there. Went 7-3 in placements and a Silver 2 rank with a tiny sliver of xp up to the next. That was a lot more interesting than social, and probably where I will spend most of my time in MP. Its great to have a rank to level up, makes the whole thing more exciting. But at this rate Im going to have to juggle my time between this and the campaign, and then Forza Horizon 5 and The Gunk. I dont have the time for all of this lol. Right now Im more inclined to spend time in MP and clear FH5 up and then come back to the campaign later.

But have they said anything about whats added on Wednesday? More maps and modes I hope - I havent really kept up with the latest news. Is there a site (except for Reddit) which has all of the information on multiplayer in one neat read?

Onikaan

Hey folks.

Anyone had any luck dialing in their controller settings to feel like MCC/Classic Halo? I've put 80hrs in now, and been playing well enough but something still feels off with mine. More often than not in a firefight I'll find the reticile just flies off in one direction or another - it's driving me crazy. It's almost as if for just a split second AS is turned off and my aim goes wild when im trying to make small corrections. I've tried zero deadzones, Aim Accelration to 5 with my sensitivity way and and way down. (I'm a 4/5 sens on MCC).

Checked out a few Pro Player Controller set ups to see what they're doing. No mention of fixes, just small tweaks. Apparently there was a bug with the game not recognising your on controller randomly during matches. No idea how true that is, but I was told to open Halo In steam's Big Picture Mode. Hasn't made a difference.

Any input appreciated.

Naked Lunch

Ed

I rarely get quitters. Only time I see them is when I do quickplay. Which is rarely. I’m always on ranked. Are you in a low ranking? I can see people being less likely to quit being higher ranked and most of the quitters lower.
This is social games im talking about, not ranked - quickplay and BTB. I refuse to believe you dont see anyone dropping in those playlists. I saw quitting (or crashing) in 8 out of 10 games this past week, no question. Im platinum 6 in ranked.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
This is social games im talking about, not ranked - quickplay and BTB. I refuse to believe you dont see anyone dropping in those playlists. I saw quitting (or crashing) in 8 out of 10 games this past week, no question. Im platinum 6 in ranked.
Ya I play ranked 90% of the time. I’m platinum 5 and rarely get quitters. Social I’m not sure about. But I’d figure there would be quitters there.

Naked Lunch

Winning games was never so difficult until I got the ‘win 17 games’ for the last weekly challenge 😫
I feel you. I swear I won only 5 games the first 5 hours I played when that came up. I felt like I was going mad. I played the best on my team the majority of those rounds too - I was really trying!

If anything that challenge taught me to only go for ultimate weeklies I really care about because they arent so easy to get.

Last edited:

Flintty

I feel you. I swear I won only 5 games the first 5 hours I played when that came up. I felt like I was going mad. I played the best on my team the majority of those rounds too - I was really trying!

If anything that challenge taught me to only go for ultimate weeklies I really care about because they arent so easy to get.
Got there in the end, finishing up with a six win streak. You’re right. It doesn’t feel worth it for the shitty player emblem 🤣

It was nearly completed this week just from playing tbh, so may as well finish it.

Orbital2060

It would save a lot of time if we could at least choose a mode to play, instead of waiting for a particular mode to show up. Like I had a challenge for an Oddball match and sat through 6 or 7 matches before it rolled up. That was more than an hour wasted with nothing else to do in quickplay. Later I had a few quests to Win 3 games in certain modes, and went through almost the same thing with those. A lot of time wasted, and quitting out is not an option.

So when the last challenge for 17 wins was up I already felt like I had more wins and related matches than that already.

Leyasu

Banned
38h and counting. This game really is something special. I thought that Halo 5 mp was the best (fight me bros), but this game destroys it. I'm hooked. I don't know if I am going to be able to drag myself away from Arena to play the campaign.

I just wish that there were a few more maps coming wednesday

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Cleared my weekly challenges yesterday, but I spent a lot more time this week than last, had a bunch of hairy quests and didnt want to spend all my swaps. Took me 4-5 nights at 2 hours each session to clear all challenges and then did the last 10 matches in ranked placements and got the remaining pvp wins for the weekly there. Went 7-3 in placements and a Silver 2 rank with a tiny sliver of xp up to the next. That was a lot more interesting than social, and probably where I will spend most of my time in MP. Its great to have a rank to level up, makes the whole thing more exciting. But at this rate Im going to have to juggle my time between this and the campaign, and then Forza Horizon 5 and The Gunk. I dont have the time for all of this lol. Right now Im more inclined to spend time in MP and clear FH5 up and then come back to the campaign later.

But have they said anything about whats added on Wednesday? More maps and modes I hope - I havent really kept up with the latest news. Is there a site (except for Reddit) which has all of the information on multiplayer in one neat read?
Yeah this week sucked. Final challenge of win 17 matches after playing so much just to get to the final challenge is kind of bullshit.

Banned
Yeah this week sucked. Final challenge of win 17 matches after playing so much just to get to the final challenge is kind of bullshit.

I was lucky and basically only had 3 lost matches so I had to play 20 to finish this. I had to get my crossplay ranking in anyways so I did that on the way, and ranked is super easy if you have at least 1 friend with you... we fucking dominated... I ranked Platinum 4 in crossplay, I think I landed in Platinum 3 in controller only (I feel kinda sorry for mouse players lol)

Last edited:

Banned
Hey folks.

Anyone had any luck dialing in their controller settings to feel like MCC/Classic Halo? I've put 80hrs in now, and been playing well enough but something still feels off with mine. More often than not in a firefight I'll find the reticile just flies off in one direction or another - it's driving me crazy. It's almost as if for just a split second AS is turned off and my aim goes wild when im trying to make small corrections. I've tried zero deadzones, Aim Accelration to 5 with my sensitivity way and and way down. (I'm a 4/5 sens on MCC).

Checked out a few Pro Player Controller set ups to see what they're doing. No mention of fixes, just small tweaks. Apparently there was a bug with the game not recognising your on controller randomly during matches. No idea how true that is, but I was told to open Halo In steam's Big Picture Mode. Hasn't made a difference.

Any input appreciated.

my settings are like this:

atKpr4C.png

these settings are as close to what most good modern shooters feel like as possible. still far off from what I would like (especially the reaction curve and the max turn speed) but it works for me.

one issue I noticed at least on PC is that sometimes it seems my aim assist simply doesn't work, which results in irregular feeling aiming that can throw you off some times. apparently the PC version has an issue where it simply doesn't switch over to "controller mode" so to speak, if it detects mouse movement for a second.
but another cross platform issue seems to be that server desync can lead to your aim assist not working because the server instance has your opponent in a different spot than your client instance, so the aim assist is not working properly in moments like those.

the culprit of the desync seems to be issues with the clamber motion that throws off the sync if cancelled just right. but also vehicles can desync hard.

so some instances where you said your aim just flies off when adjusting your aim could be due to server desync, or if you are on PC that the game switches to Mouse input for a second and just turns off your assist that way

Last edited:

Onikaan

my settings are like this:

atKpr4C.png

these settings are as close to what most good modern shooters feel like as possible. still far off from what I would like (especially the reaction curve and the max turn speed) but it works for me.

one issue I noticed at least on PC is that sometimes it seems my aim assist simply doesn't work, which results in irregular feeling aiming that can throw you off some times. apparently the PC version has an issue where it simply doesn't switch over to "controller mode" so to speak, if it detects mouse movement for a second.
but another cross platform issue seems to be that server desync can lead to your aim assist not working because the server instance has your opponent in a different spot than your client instance, so the aim assist is not working properly in moments like those.

the culprit of the desync seems to be issues with the clamber motion that throws off the sync if cancelled just right. but also vehicles can desync hard.

so some instances where you said your aim just flies off when adjusting your aim could be due to server desync, or if you are on PC that the game switches to Mouse input for a second and just turns off your assist that way

This makes a lot of sense, especially after seeing those de-sync videos on reddit, jeez. Hope it gets fixed, stat.

Thanks for the pic, ill have another play around.

Flintty

My biggest wish for this game is to be able to choose what accessory you spawn with in every game mode, like a load out. And maybe a choice of base weapon too.

I just want the damn grapple hook all the time.

Ulitimate challenge this week is a pretty ugly sniper rifle skin. I mean I get it’s free but like the emblem last week it’s kinda ugly enough that I’d never actually use it even after finishing the challenges. I’d almost prefer an option to trade it in for a challenge swap to use against challenges incase there’s actually a week I do want the ultimate challenge reward.

Last edited:

Flintty

Ulitimate challenge this week is a pretty ugly sniper rifle skin. I mean I get it’s free but like the emblem last week it’s kinda ugly enough that I’d never actually use it even after finishing the challenges. I’d almost prefer an option to trade it in for a challenge swap to use incase there’s actually a week I do want the ultimate challenge reward.
Yeah I don’t get a Sniper often enough to justify the effort. If I get it then great but I’m not gonna break a sweat over it.

Naked Lunch

My biggest wish for this game is to be able to choose what accessory you spawn with in every game mode, like a load out. And maybe a choice of base weapon too.

See but loadouts would be on some Halo 4 type shit.
Scavenging for stuff is what makes Halo, Halo - and the equipment is just as important as power weapons/invis/overshield in the right hands.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Bro, this is Halo. The game you want to play is Call of Duty.

Naked Lunch

Fuck no, I hate COD. Been a Halo fan since day 1 on Xbox. I just want the damned grapple hook lol.
The way you can change trajectory and wrap around walls and stuff with the grapple is too cool in Infinite. Really, really well done. Compare it to the stiff, straight line only grapple in BF2042. Night and day difference.

I gotta say having an unlimited grappleshot and rocket launcher mode would be fun as hell.
Name it grapple rockets and call it a day.

Last edited:

Flintty

The way you can change trajectory and wrap around walls and stuff is too cool in Infinite. Really, really well done. Compare it to the stiff, straight line only grapple in BF2042. Night and day difference.

I gotta say having an unlimited grappleshot and rocket launcher mode would be fun as hell.
Call it grapple rockets and call it a day.

Yeah, the hook feels fresh for a Halo game and really well implemented, which is why I'd like to be able to spawn with it. But wish-lists not allowed here :messenger_tongue:

Grapple rockets sounds like a proper giggle. Looking forward to getting more friends online and playing with custom game settings.

Yeah I don’t get a Sniper often enough to justify the effort. If I get it then great but I’m not gonna break a sweat over it.

I didn’t really go out of my way on last weeks one either, 17 wins is pretty straightforward albeit time consuming, but when it rewards stuff that I‘d never use it basically makes it feel like a regular challenge for straight xp. It would just be nice to see something else offered for finishing it for people who aren’t really digging the main item that week.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

5 ranked games today, 2 games we had one guy going offline as soon as the game started and 2 games of odd ball we had one or two players not giving a shit about the ball or going afk.

They need to let people report players and give time penalty to those who quit a ranked game before the end.

G-DannY

This week’s ultimate challenge is extremely easy… 15 headshots with any weapon.

All weekly done in one session.
looking forward to read the obvious thread on reddit of tons of people parroting and echochambering, complaining that challenges are now too easy and earning the prize is not rewarding

I expect at least a quarter million upvotes to this

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
looking forward to read the obvious thread on reddit of tons of people parroting and echochambering, complaining that challenges are now too easy and earning the prize is not rewarding

I expect at least a quarter million upvotes to this

Fuck them. I'm having a blast with this game. 100+ hours and it's not even out for 1 more minute in my region.

This is the skin for completing weekly challanges:

GaKszIC.jpg

I love the way you can press B (crouch) while in the air after a running jump to go straight into a slide when you land. Feels like something out of a Super Mario game.
There are elements of combinations that are great but the slide as it stands really needs more momentum and angles of terrain etc taken into account. It really grinds to a halt, even downhill. It should be like the books and previous games where you can get some speed going or chain a well timed jump out of a slide. It should not be to the extent of Halo 5 chaining moves together but this grinding to a halt is not ideal. The grapple is a solid addition and I'm glad it's equipment based.

the_master

There are elements of combinations that are great but the slide as it stands really needs more momentum and angles of terrain etc taken into account. It really grinds to a halt, even downhill. It should be like the books and previous games where you can get some speed going or chain a well timed jump out of a slide. It should not be to the extent of Halo 5 chaining moves together but this grinding to a halt is not ideal. The grapple is a solid addition and I'm glad it's equipment based.
I agree completely.
It should take terrain slope and gravity into acount, and chaining a jump from slide should have a small effect on the jump, so it is more fun to chain.
There are other combinations that would make traversal more fun.
Maybe crouch on a jump would make you drop a bit faster, grapple and jump could help you traverse a bit further, crouch and grapple could release a bit of cable, grapple and slide, etc...
A few small things that would make us have more fun traversing the sandbox

the_master

343 can get bent for not giving us basic fucking mode selection.

It's clear this shit is designed this way for their shit challenges/monetization systems.
It is also a beta. And tes. Free to play. But I am liking the game more every day. They did a great job, I like all game modes, which says A LOT for the game.
Feels a bit old school but it is good fun

Having a rotating playlist is good so that people actually learn how to play them and to develop different strategies and tactics. I dread seeing the same game mode several times in a row with CTF being my worst mode to win in. Playing it solo can be frustrating at times because you can tell some players have no clue how to play an objective game.

It plays some much different than Slayer in good ways.

Releasing the mp early was such a welcome surprise.
Forcing people to play game modes they don’t want is a terrible idea.

No way this is worse than 4,5 or MCC and i'd even argue Reach. Those games dropped like a stone, flat didn't work or in Reaches case just wasn't as fun as 1-3. That was the beginning of the end for Halo nights round our way. I stuck with 5 because of the tight mechanics but fuck it was horrible at launch.

Infinite works for a start, and has the best gameplay since 3, arguably ever. I've got 100 hours on the clock and i've not spent a dime. Easy 8/10 for me so far. Few more maps and playlist and it would be a 10 for me. Each to their own though.
MCC had the worse launch period. The game didn't even fucking work!!

Exactly. But have you not heard? Infinite is the wOarst HaLO lUNch EvA!!!!
People have selective memory but make no mistake, Infinite could be a hell of a lot better and I'm honestly VERY concerned 343 are going to lock the legacy Halo playlist behind weekly events to push monitization. They already did it with Fiesta Slayer and I find that extremely concerning.

Top Bottom