• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

*Nightwing

Hindsight is 20/20

I think it’s now obvious the good will in releasing multiplayer early was to offset a completely incomplete game at launch as of 12/8/2021.

And for this there is no valid excuse. Push the release date back or fucking admit to the community a barebones incomplete game is going to be released 12/8 and they would still piss people off but wouldn’t break the trust of the community making a lot of us feel cheated for supporting something that is clearly fun and special but totally incomplete.

clarky

Gold Member
Hindsight is 20/20

I think it’s now obvious the good will in releasing multiplayer early was to offset a completely incomplete game at launch as of 12/8/2021.

And for this there is no valid excuse. Push the release date back or fucking admit to the community a barebones incomplete game is going to be released 12/8 and they would still piss people off but wouldn’t break the trust of the community making a lot of us feel cheated for supporting something that is clearly fun and special but totally incomplete.
Serious question, how do you feel cheated by something that was given to you for free?

As much as I love the gameplay ,in 2021 the game doesn't have a slayer or tdm only playlist is just downright stupid , I don't like ctf or oddball don't force me to play them
Atleast give priority setting of game modes for godsake

VAVA Mk2

That thread has been titiled wrongly. The subreddit was closed because some of the posters started doxxing and sending death threats to 343i community managers. Some of the playlist changes will come out this month but not on December 8 because 343i team is taking a break. This got some people to shouting insults saying "this should be day 1".

What is doxxing?

*Nightwing

Serious question, how do you feel cheated by something that was given to you for free?

Been playing halo since OG xbox launch day 11/15/2001. Halo is the only game I play on Xbox. Also the only online multiplayer pvp game I have played continuously over the years.

That’s having a stake in the community. I as everyone who has to invested time and effort into making the halo community what it is, even if they don’t agree with me, are all stakeholders. The community doesn’t exist without all of us.

Thus when they hold one method of maintaining online multiplayer over 7 previous games, and then make a change that is widely viewed to be a money grabbing move that waters down online progression despite being free up front, then I as Stakeholder feel cheated. Simple concept been around for decades

Edit: I also preordered on live paying the full amount already, but know the technicality of it still being “free” but not giving any of the same progress as previous halo multiplayer games have in the past is exactly the gotcha you are looking for me to reply.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I still can't get over Respawn Entertainment taking 2 years to make Apex Legends and 343 taking 6 years to make this. ****ing wild.

Jason Shreier should investigate.

Shubh_C63

I get the bad netcode being killed even in cover, forced playlist and insanely broken progression and store. but didn't knew enemy collision was right up there with these things. that explains why enemy just seems to vanish magically when you're in a melee frenzy, but definitely a low priority for me compared to the big 3.

Xander3116

Good game, but after 20 hours i'm bored, i need a break, so ill come back to it sometime in the future, i was only able to get to level 5 and it's definitely better then COD and 2042.

twilo99

definitely better then COD

hmm for me personally Vanguard is one of the best FPS games I've played. Credit has to be given to that team for creating such immersive atmosphere/environment and shooting the guns feels really good too.

Both are awesome FPS games. Can't speak of 2042 since I've never played it

Xander3116

hmm for me personally Vanguard is one of the best FPS games I've played. Credit has to be given to that team for creating such immersive atmosphere/environment and shooting the guns feels really good too.

Both are awesome FPS games. Can't speak of 2042 since I've never played it
Vanguard is good, i liked vanguard it's fast paced and hectic, what i said wasn't mean't as a slight to Vanguard, i just think halo is better. As for 2042, its not terrible it just feels a lot less optimized then COD and halo plus i think the huge maps hurt the game more then it helps but buried deep inside 2042, there is a good game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I get the bad netcode being killed even in cover, forced playlist and insanely broken progression and store. but didn't knew enemy collision was right up there with these things. that explains why enemy just seems to vanish magically when you're in a melee frenzy, but definitely a low priority for me compared to the big 3.

It would be impossible to count how many times I got shot through wall. That kill cam doesn’t help as it just highlights that enemy had no sight of my ass…

clarky

Gold Member
Been playing halo since OG xbox launch day 11/15/2001. Halo is the only game I play on Xbox. Also the only online multiplayer pvp game I have played continuously over the years.

That’s having a stake in the community. I as everyone who has to invested time and effort into making the halo community what it is, even if they don’t agree with me, are all stakeholders. The community doesn’t exist without all of us.

Thus when they hold one method of maintaining online multiplayer over 7 previous games, and then make a change that is widely viewed to be a money grabbing move that waters down online progression despite being free up front, then I as Stakeholder feel cheated. Simple concept been around for decades

Edit: I also preordered on live paying the full amount already, but know the technicality of it still being “free” but not giving any of the same progress as previous halo multiplayer games have in the past is exactly the gotcha you are looking for me to reply.
Sounds like you are emotionally invested in this series like a lot of people, myself included but that doesn't mean they owe us anything, at all. Having a check list of demands that MUST be in a title or you feel cheated is just ridiculous, unless these features have been promised and not delivered after you paid money for a game. 343 have been fucking this up one way or another for 9 years now i'm just happy the core game is solid that's what matter most. They have been very upfront on what's coming and when. Are some aspects disappointing? Absolutely, but I'm enjoying the game tremendously with friends I've not played online with in years, its all gravy from here on in hopefully.

I've also been playing Halo since the start, this game plays like a fantastic proper Halo game and I'm looking forward to what's coming down the line. I really don't get the outrage, like at all. Games solid, campaign looks like it will deliver and more stuff and fixes are coming, its a great time to be a Halo fan if you ask me. Maybe because I'm a Destiny 1 and 2 survivor my skin is a bit thicker than most, that game did launch like shit, and I definitely felt cheated at the launch of those games but they became great and gave me some fantastic gaming memories, I'm sure Infinite will do the same.

Also don't get your reasoning behind pre-ordering the campaign? You feel cheated yet your still fine with handing over $60 bucks on just the campaign with out any reviews or impressions and already feeling let down by the MP side of things? Why would you do that? Just hang fire with your cash and make an informed decision.

I'm sure 343 have done their best and if that's not good enough for some then maybe its just time to make your voice heard & move on, plenty of other games out there.

Also not looking for a "gotcha" whatever that means, I was just asking why you felt cheated.

Coney

It seems you get punished huge for losing in ranked, and then get next to nothing for winning. That's getting frustrating.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Sounds like you are emotionally invested in this series like a lot of people, myself included but that doesn't mean they owe us anything, at all. Having a check list of demands that MUST be in a title or you feel cheated is just ridiculous, unless these features have been promised and not delivered after you paid money for a game. 343 have been fucking this up one way or another for 9 years now i'm just happy the core game is solid that's what matter most. They have been very upfront on what's coming and when. Are some aspects disappointing? Absolutely, but I'm enjoying the game tremendously with friends I've not played online with in years, its all gravy from here on in hopefully.

I've also been playing Halo since the start, this game plays like a fantastic proper Halo game and I'm looking forward to what's coming down the line. I really don't get the outrage, like at all. Games solid, campaign looks like it will deliver and more stuff and fixes are coming, its a great time to be a Halo fan if you ask me. Maybe because I'm a Destiny 1 and 2 survivor my skin is a bit thicker than most, that game did launch like shit, and I definitely felt cheated at the launch of those games but they became great and gave me some fantastic gaming memories, I'm sure Infinite will do the same.

Also don't get your reasoning behind pre-ordering the campaign? You feel cheated yet your still fine with handing over $60 bucks on just the campaign with out any reviews or impressions and already feeling let down by the MP side of things? Why would you do that? Just hang fire with your cash and make an informed decision.

I'm sure 343 have done their best and if that's not good enough for some then maybe its just time to make your voice heard & move on, plenty of other games out there.

Also not looking for a "gotcha" whatever that means, I was just asking why you felt cheated.
So then you didn’t seriously have a question, but rather just wanted to attack my opinion on the matter to validate your own.

Got it thanks.

My opinion is as valid as yours and neither of us are right, but both of our opinions are equally valid as stakeholders in the halo franchise.

343 making the changes they have to get a bigger piece of the pie and gain more users rather than rely on sales of the game has consequences, and in this case it’s to players like us that have made Halo what it is. You have no issue with it, that is your opinion. I feel it is irreparably changing multiplayer for the worse as the other half the existing player base does.

And I preordered online because I have played every Halo campaign day one until I finish on legendary. Normally on coop with my highshool friends we grew up playing together… which is another bone to pick but I digress.

Not trying to invalidate your opinion, you have no issue with it I understand and your thier target audience in hoping expanding the player base by weakening the multiplayer game won’t dissuade some existing players. And the changes I want are impossible to implement once it’s already been launched as free to play with paid battle passes. I am just voicing my discontent with my favorite pvp multiplayer game being gimped down to the lowest common denominator that is free to play micro transaction games, and as a stakeholder how I have felt cheated by it. Not monetarily, but in dedicated time and effort to this community. If I wanted to play Destiny or any other game I would’ve kept playing that, we are talking solely of one franchise here: Halo

clarky

Gold Member
So then you didn’t seriously have a question, but rather just wanted to attack my opinion on the matter to validate your own.

Got it thanks.

My opinion is as valid as yours and neither of us are right, but both of our opinions are equally valid as stakeholders in the halo franchise.

343 making the changes they have to get a bigger piece of the pie and gain more users rather than rely on sales of the game has consequences, and in this case it’s to players like us that have made Halo what it is. You have no issue with it, that is your opinion. I feel it is irreparably changing multiplayer for the worse as the other half the existing player base does.

And I preordered online because I have played every Halo campaign day one until I finish on legendary. Normally on coop with my highshool friends we grew up playing together… which is another bone to pick but I digress.

Not trying to invalidate your opinion, you have no issue with it I understand and your thier target audience in hoping expanding the player base by weakening the multiplayer game won’t dissuade some existing players. And the changes I want are impossible to implement once it’s already been launched as free to play with paid battle passes. I am just voicing my discontent with my favorite pvp multiplayer game being gimped down to the lowest common denominator that is free to play micro transaction games, and as a stakeholder how I have felt cheated by it. Not monetarily, but in dedicated time and effort to this community. If I wanted to play Destiny or any other game I would’ve kept playing that, we are talking solely of one franchise here: Halo
Easy tiger, not trying to invalidate anything I asked you a genuine question and offered my opinion, sorry if came across in any other way.

Chill out.

Lognor

Banned
Does Halo Infinite scale matchups based on levels? I'm either better than I thought or everyone else sucks. I'm level 3.

Also, this season pass shit makes no sense to me. I never played fortnite or any of those other shooters with season passes, so this is all Greek to me. Everything seems locked to the battle pass. Do I actually have to spend money to get new skins?

clarky

Gold Member
Better question is, how is a game with a lengthy SP campaign and a full featured MP mode, incomplete?
Define incomplete.

Missing features from previous titles? Yes

Incomplete? , it will be until they stop adding features to it in about ten years.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Easy tiger, not trying to invalidate anything I asked you a genuine question and offered my opinion, sorry if came across in any other way.

Chill out.
I am chill. No prob, no offense taken at any point despite your nuanced efforts. Just being direct and clearly stating my opinion and the ideas why I have them while not attacking you personally while that’s not being reciprocated.

Good day

People forget that this game is meant to be supported for years to come, so if H5 is anything to go by, I would expect new maps, modes, etc for some time to come. SoT is doing it with Rare, another MS studio, so I can see 343i following suit.

For them to be able to continually sell you a BP, they will have to have more content. And hopefully that include content that expands the campaign/story.
Maybe wishful thinking, but not to far outside the realm of possibility.

TrebleShot

I had no idea this game was having such a huge backlash…

It’s a fun free to play arena shooter why are people going absolutely batshit about progression etc??

Unbelievably childish, progression on an online shooter is a bit long and you can’t get your shiny blue helmet early enough. This shit is hilarious.

Isn’t it what you’d expect from a F2P game? Always got a similar experience from like war frame and the like. You got F2P that’s what you get.

Jaybe

Gold Member
I had no idea this game was having such a huge backlash…

It’s a fun free to play arena shooter why are people going absolutely batshit about progression etc??

Unbelievably childish, progression on an online shooter is a bit long and you can’t get your shiny blue helmet early enough. This shit is hilarious.

Isn’t it what you’d expect from a F2P game? Always got a similar experience from like war frame and the like. You got F2P that’s what you get.

It sounds like:
- The main XP challenges are tied to game modes and encourage the population to either quit the games or not play the objectives
- forcing objective modes vs separated slayer and objective playlists, causing the above as well
- for people that actually want to play the game and enjoy it like prior halos, these monetization decisions affect their enjoyment.

so some of both the xp cosmetic chasers and people that have no interest in cosmetics populations are not happy.

Personally, I played and enjoyed the multiplayer and will comeback after I play the campaign and there is a slayer playlist as I hate CTF and oddball. I have no interest in cosmetics.

Having a rotating playlist is good so that people actually learn how to play them and to develop different strategies and tactics. I dread seeing the same game mode several times in a row with CTF being my worst mode to win in. Playing it solo can be frustrating at times because you can tell some players have no clue how to play an objective game.

It plays some much different than Slayer in good ways.

Releasing the mp early was such a welcome surprise.

Banned
the official Halo Subreddit has been put into a temporary lockdown lol, almost the whole subreddit was people shitting on 343i, with like 10% of it being funny videos and memes... the memes were usually also dunking on the monetisation and lack of features

WOScSMH.png

Last edited:

Banned
The meme with the $10 pineapple chest armor compared to the cost of a real pineapple $1.88 at Walmart was hilarious.

the most egregious things so far is the "Noble Principle" armor coating...

noble-principle1.jpg
cazb8Te.png

pop quiz, which of these 2 colors is free, and which one is level 14 in the $10 battlepass?

Last edited:

Banned
and now I know why the Halo subreddit was closed down...

people found out what 343i did ahead of release.. so close ahead of release that the achievement still has the wrong icon in fact

should the embed not work, here's the gist of it:
24MulLU.png

This is the achievement for completing the Heroes of Reach BattlePass in Halo Infinite.
There are only 100 levels. Originally, there were 120 levels and ALL of the armor pieces from Halo Reach were included.
Now, there are only 100 levels, and numerous (mostly the popular) pieces of armor or entire sets from Halo Reach are only available in the cash shop.

so yeah, it seems this + the playlists being shit finally broke the camels back and the subreddit basically turned on 343i with hardcore fanboys warring with thread OPs in the comments and defending all of it in the most embarrassing ways

Last edited:

TVexperto

the official Halo Subreddit has been put into a temporary lockdown lol, almost the whole subreddit was people shitting on 343i, with like 10% of it being funny videos and memes... the memes were usually also dunking on the monetisation and lack of features

WOScSMH.png
censoring a community? what could possibly go wrong

Reddit was temporarily closed til monday to let both sides cool down. Toxicity being thrown around from several sides.

Edit: Personally, I think they should start handing out some weekly or monthly bans after a warning, but that's probably why I would never be a mod

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Every time I get within one win of reaching Diamond 1 the matchmaking puts me in a borderline unwinnable game, the one time I did win it gave me zero rank points after destroying a team in slayer.

I'm not too pissed since playing solo is just an RNG farce to begin with but still...this is just stupid
You don't need to win to increase rank btw. I have increased rank a lot while losing.

The halo community is embarrassing. People carrying on like this because heaven forbid they might get a match type that they don't like, jesus christ.

Last edited:

Banned
You don't need to win to increase rank btw. I have increased rank a lot while losing.

to be fair tho, winning should always give you some RP.
the whole system seems a bit weird sometimes. I can absolutely destroy one game and get barely anything, but the next game that arguably went way worse gives me a ton RP.

just today, I won a slayer match with a K/D of 21/7 and crazy hit accuracy and barely went higher, but the next I play way worse and get way more.
I get that this also depends on the enemy team somewhat but come on!

MrFunSocks

Banned
to be fair tho, winning should always give you some RP.
the whole system seems a bit weird sometimes. I can absolutely destroy one game and get barely anything, but the next game that arguably went way worse gives me a ton RP.

just today, I won a slayer match with a K/D of 21/7 and crazy hit accuracy and barely went higher, but the next I play way worse and get way more.
I get that this also depends on the enemy team somewhat but come on!
Not necessarily. This is ranked, not just giving out XP. If you win when you shouldn't or you perform really well in a losing team you will move up. If you stomp a team that you should stomp, you shouldn't move up.

The whole point of ranked is to find out where you rank and match you with people around the same ranking. It's not about constantly filling bars. If it's working correctly you should actually very rarely be moving up/down the ranks after you've got to your skill level.

Last edited:

Sho_Gunn

Banned
Can I get a cliff notes on whats going on with the Halo community? Seemed like the multiplayer was getting praise at the beginning what's happened in the last 2-3 weeks?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Can I get a cliff notes on whats going on with the Halo community? Seemed like the multiplayer was getting praise at the beginning what's happened in the last 2-3 weeks?
First people didn't like the "progression" because they didn't get enough XP when playing. Now that's fixed since you can move up a level per day simply by playing 7 games.

Now they don't like the playlists, because all they want to do is play slayer all day and heaven forbid there be some CTF/Strongholds/Oddball thrown in there. Imagine the nerve of 343 having multiple game modes in 1 playlist so as to not immediately fracture the player base!

So because of these life threatening and absolutely earth shattering mistakes that 343i have made, the community thought it was best that they find 343i employees personal details and doxx them and send them death threats. Obviously! What else could you do, we're talking about VIDEO GAMES here, it's critical and super important!

It's fucking pathetic and disgusting. If you don't like the game, don't play it. If you don't want to play anything other than slayer, don't play the game until they have a dedicated slayer playlist.

This is all a perfect example of everything that's wrong with GaMeRs at the current time. The actual game being good and fun and bug free is irrelevant. No one seems to care about the actual game, they only care about how fast they can fill bars on the screen and unlock cosmetics, and only care about their kill:death ratio.

Last edited:
1st people were and are still complaning about the progression system. 343 did some tweaks, but were only a step in the right direction for some. 2nd, they were complaining about a lack of maps/modes 3rd, they are complaining about not being able to select slayer only mode in playlist

Good news is that the gameplay is mostly really good sans complaints about collision detection/whiffed melees and some weapons being almost useless

Edit: The toxicity in the reddit threads are insane from all sides so the mods have suspended it til monday to give people time to chill the F out.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I don't believe for one minute that slayer/objective and ffa each having their own playlist will fracture the community. The people that like those types will stick with what they like. They could also cycle in and out playlist like SWAT,snipers etc and see which stick.

You know maybe 343 should make a slayer only playlist and then make challenges to play the other gametypes. The challenges could be base on the other playlist modes in oddball, control, CTF, etc and make them use up those swaps to change them. For ex, hold the ball for a certain amount of time, or capture so many zones, flags, etc

Yea, that'll show em.

I don't believe for one minute that slayer/objective and ffa each having their own playlist will fracture the community. The people that like those types will stick with what they like. They could also cycle in and out playlist like SWAT,snipers etc and see which stick.
I actually think that a rotating slayer type playlist would be cool using different weapons. I know I could use some Sniper practice and love SWAT as a gametype

Top Bottom