• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some Infinite screens sourced from various places.

And to think people were complaining about the games graphics. The texturing and environmental effects are exceptionally good. That it runs in a high resolution and solid frame rate on appropriate hardware is just the cherry on top.

FGbJViRX0AQwzeK

FGaeBY3WYAIx0sy

FGZyiWnXMAQmgCn

FGWSWNBXoAEDBro

FGU0GdxXoAANdIk

FGWyisjX0AcqXb6

Ogbert

Yes, it’s as stupid as patenting double jumps. Someone probably has tbf.

The way the U.S. works, in my cynical opinion, the intent is to try and force a settlement because the infringer is reluctant to pay the endless lawyer fees. So it’s opportunistic. Not just in patent cases, most civil litigation. Source: I’ve been involved in two settlements totalling over $10m over the last three months. Both cases were weak af, but were just paid out to avoid the litigation costs and the uncertainty of the possibility of getting a crazy decision (which would be appealed, making more money for the lawyers).

Moving from the UK to the US is a real eye opener - the court system here is beyond nonsensical.
Interesting.

And there’s no threat of being counter sued for vexatious or spurious copyright claims?

I actually want to see Halo implement it now, to see what happens!

Interesting.

And there’s no threat of being counter sued for vexatious or spurious copyright claims?

I actually want to see Halo implement it now, to see what happens!
Not without spending more money :messenger_tears_of_joy:

One of the craziest things our in-house counsel told me, is you can basically say anything in a lawsuit and be protected from being sued as a result.

MOTM

Banned
Ugh, honestly the Bassus boss fight is pretty bad design. Too fast, too strong. There's zero time to look for new - suitable - weapons. His leap and recharging shields are stupid.

Tells something of design if people feel need to cheese it by fooling the AI.

Been stuck in this for a while. I may have to drop the game, not feeling it after this. Which is a shame - it has been a great game this far.
I’m playing on heroic and yeah he’s very hard to beat. I tried to switch the difficulty to normal but you can’t 😅

Took me about 45 mins but finally beat him. Try slowing down and dodging left to right rather than using the grapple hook to escape all the time.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I went for another playthrough today to see how the game feels to play on a difficulty different than Legendary and to collect skulls that I missed along the way for a LASO (Legendary All Skulls On) run.

You can easily complete the game in 3 hours (Forza Veloce achievement has a very generous 8 hours limit). I can't wait to see what speed runes will do with Infinite. They will rape that timer. :messenger_hushed:

Concern

I’m playing on heroic and yeah he’s very hard to beat. I tried to switch the difficulty to normal but you can’t 😅

Took me about 45 mins but finally beat him. Try slowing down and dodging left to right rather than using the grapple hook to escape all the time.

Sounds like more fun /s

I just beat Chak Lok on legendary and he was ridiculously fast and strong lol.

Malachai

Gold Member
I found the best way to beat Bassus is to swing from the ceiling with the grapple to get lots of distance from him, then spam grenades when you see him coming and unload a full clip into his head. Rinse and repeat. Found him quite easy with this method on Heroic.

Kenpachii

Game really needs dlss, i will wait until they provide it because currently at 60-70 fps in the open world at ultra settings on a 3080 at 3440x1440 isn't appealing to me.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just did the conservatory after spending about 6 hours in the open world mopping up, man that conservatory mission was such a nice break up and dope as funk. This game plays so well looking forward to tackling more.

the combat is sublime and weapon is ace.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No spoilers please: Is there a new game plus mode ?

Sadly, no. They should add an option to repopulate the world with enemies (outposts, high-value targets, marine rescue missions) after you finish the campaign.

I would also like to see some quality of life improvements like a grid view for vehicle / weapon selection screens in FOB and auto ammo refill every time you are in any FOB.

I_D

Nvidia's Shadowplay won't take screenshots of this game, for some reason. It keeps taking screencaps of my other monitor.
I've tried changing my 'primary' monitors around, and playing the game on each one, but Shadowplay always records my non-game monitor, but it's only an issue with this specific game, as far as I know.
The video-recording works totally perfectly, though, which is weird.

As such, in order to take screenshots, I have to use the Print-Screen function, then paste it into Paint, then crop out my other monitor.

I'm also hiding the HUD, and swapping weapons while taking the screenshot to eliminate the gun on the screen.

The result of this is that the screenshots are automatically downsampled, rather than displaying at the native 4k I'm playing in. The look should be pretty comparable to what I see on my screen, though.

With all of that in mind, I present to you my first panoramic shot from this game:
testwpjot.png

The distortion isn't too bad, given all the steps I have to take. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

With a bit of practice, this game should make for some nice screenshots.

I wouldn't call her beautiful, but she's nice in a homely sort of way.
01dskc7.png

0524k4l.png

08lejku.png

17mjkoh.png

I'm digging the campaign so far. Writing is hilariously bad, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

I found the best way to beat Bassus is to swing from the ceiling with the grapple to get lots of distance from him, then spam grenades when you see him coming and unload a full clip into his head. Rinse and repeat. Found him quite easy with this method on Heroic.

If you
Use the grappling hook to get on top of the doorways
he can't hit you at all, and he'll stand still while you dump mag after mag into him.

Last edited:
Oh look a Skull in a tree trunk with two red Hunters guarding it. I'm armed with a full load of grenades, a Skewer and A Sniper Rifle. I'll just take them out with the Sniper rifle, at most I'll stick a couple grenades to them to finish them off.

Holy shit did I get my shit pushed in. These were the first Hunters I've run into in the game and even with me Spider-manning around the trees I can't get behind the fuckers and their weapons are brutal.

I grabbed the skull and ran away like a bitch.

Absolutely loving the game. The game engine isn’t the best, but the game is solid. I’ve been playing on Legendary and arming the marines to the teeth with all sorts of power weapons. At one point I had 15 marines on me, all the wiping the floor with the banished, it was amazing!

This game is the game every Halo fan has wanted for 20 years. Large epic battles in an open world. I love it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nvidia's Shadowplay won't take screenshots of this game, for some reason. It keeps taking screencaps of my other monitor.
I've tried changing my 'primary' monitors around, and playing the game on each one, but Shadowplay always records my non-game monitor, but it's only an issue with this specific game, as far as I know.
The video-recording works totally perfectly, though, which is weird.

As such, in order to take screenshots, I have to use the Print-Screen function, then paste it into Paint, then crop out my other monitor.

I'm also hiding the HUD, and swapping weapons while taking the screenshot to eliminate the gun on the screen.

The result of this is that the screenshots are automatically downsampled, rather than displaying at the native 4k I'm playing in. The look should be pretty comparable to what I see on my screen, though.

With all of that in mind, I present to you my first panoramic shot from this game:
testwpjot.png

The distortion isn't too bad, given all the steps I have to take. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

With a bit of practice, this game should make for some nice screenshots.

I wouldn't call her beautiful, but she's nice in a homely sort of way.
01dskc7.png

0524k4l.png

08lejku.png

17mjkoh.png

I'm digging the campaign so far. Writing is hilariously bad, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

If you
Use the grappling hook to get on top of the doorways
he can't hit you at all, and he'll stand still while you dump mag after mag into him.

The draw distances are nothing short of spectacular, only other game I can think of with draw distances like this is RDR2.

i did the dual bosses, so I think I’m like 70% of the way through the game

everything about the game is 10/10, from the music to the art style to the gameplay to the open world structure

but two things is holding it back for me, the story is average to decent, nothings really sucked me in just yet, but it isn’t bad

the optimization on PC is average af, I hate when my frames start dropping and the game starts getting muddy resolutions to counteract it

I_D

The draw distances are nothing short of spectacular, only other game I can think of with draw distances like this is RDR2.

I dunno about all that, but it does look pretty good.

What we got has excellent gameplay, which is the point, but it's pretty much in line with top-end stuff from last gen, graphically; just at a higher resolution and framerate.
It looks like a PC port of a last-gen game, essentially - which is a good thing; I'd rather get perfect framerates and high resolution with slightly worse graphics than any other alternative.

13uujv4.png

The Witcher 3's render distance:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

Horizon: Zero Dawn:

Far Cry 5:

And those are just the games that I have handy screenshots of. Newer games look even closer, graphically, to Halo: Infinite.

The difference is that those older games run like ass in comparison; so 343 Studios made the correct call, I would say.

I

Took me quite a few goes (also playing on heroic), and frustratingly I beat him a couple of times but died at the same time so it didn't count.

Hayabusa83

Banned
It is a great game but it has its shortcomings. Lack of diverse environments for example. There are some technical issues as well, seems like there is still a great amount of pop in textures.

The gameplay is topnotch. I really liked how 343 paid homage to the original trilogy and Reach by fusing various different artistic elements and including them in Infinite. The sheer weapon variety is insane and every battle plays out uniquely.

I am hoping that instead of making new games, 343 can add additional single player DLC over the years. With some refinements this engine can be perfect.

Exanthus

Banned
Sadly, no. They should add an option to repopulate the world with enemies (outposts, high-value targets, marine rescue missions) after you finish the campaign.

I would also like to see some quality of life improvements like a grid view for vehicle / weapon selection screens in FOB and auto ammo refill every time you are in any FOB.

I am hoping they do add these sort of repopulating of bases options and HVT. That'll be so much fun with all your upgrades and weapons

And to think people were complaining about the games graphics. The texturing and environmental effects are exceptionally good. That it runs in a high resolution and solid frame rate on appropriate hardware is just the cherry on top.

FGbJViRX0AQwzeK

FGaeBY3WYAIx0sy

FGZyiWnXMAQmgCn

FGWSWNBXoAEDBro

FGU0GdxXoAANdIk

FGWyisjX0AcqXb6

There's a reason I'm not even arguing over graphics anymore. The game is simply beautiful.

I dunno about all that, but it does look pretty good.

What we got has excellent gameplay, which is the point, but it's pretty much in line with top-end stuff from last gen, graphically; just at a higher resolution and framerate.
It looks like a PC port of a last-gen game, essentially - which is a good thing; I'd rather get perfect framerates and high resolution with slightly worse graphics than any other alternative.

Thanks for the actual player in game based screenshots. It really gives you a better perspective on the quality or the marketing based images or photos modes and all that. Cheers.

TaroYamada

Does anyone also think that Normal difficulty isn't that easy. I'm at the beginning of the game but still die more often.
Yes, I played all prior games on Heroic. This Heroic seems harder to me, if I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's been rebalanced due to the potential for armor upgrades with Spartan Cores (you can beef up your armor). I'd suggest trying Normal and seeing how you feel -- you can switch it from loading a game, don't continue, load.

//DEVIL//

Just finished the main missions.

epic game. however ( do not read its ending spoiler ) if you did not finish the game.

Edit: I do not see the text I wrote between the spoiler tag. is spoiler not working ? anyway.

just in general. Halo to me was always MC and Cortana. what happened is just wrong and I don't like it one bit

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
I'm having a blast. Man this game is so crisp and to my surprise, so playing to the eye. Beautiful game. I find myself spidermanning around the map with the grapple with great vista's along the way. I'm going for side missions first then main. Already poured hours into it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Completed it last night. Wayyyyy better than I thought it would be. Was worried about the open world aspect interfering with the campaign but it really added to it.

I liked there was so much to do once the campaign was finished. I just got to mop up the Spartan mods now.

really impressive game

Completed it last night. Wayyyyy better than I thought it would be. Was worried about the open world aspect interfering with the campaign but it really added to it.

I liked there was so much to do once the campaign was finished. I just got to mop up the Spartan mods now.

really impressive game
This is one often overlooked aspect of the open world side of the game that I love. I finished the campaign and it simply put me back in the open world. So I can continue to screw around and have fun. In past Halo games the game is over once you beat the last level. So this open world thing is pretty nice. Can't wait to see how 343 implements new content. Hoping it's good.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Enjoying it so far. Maybe it’s because I’m super used to Halo CE and 2, and really only played the others once and dumped them very quickly, and CE and 2 are more recently in my muscle memory because I went through them again earlier this year to prepare for Infinite, but the Needler feels significantly weaker and the rocket launcher seems stronger. The blast radius seemed bigger so far, but I haven’t played a ton yet, I just got out into the open world and played there for about 20 minutes.

I like the grappling hook. Can’t wait to dive in more later today.

What is the Hydra good for?
In matchmaking the hydra is fun to lock onto players and shoot them from distance. Takes about 5 shots for a kill though. Also very useful when dealing with vehicles of any kind. In campaign i tended to avoid it, though still helpful against vehicles. The few times i had it equipped I used its non-locking mode at close range for killing non-bosses.

Helghan

Ugh, honestly the Bassus boss fight is pretty bad design. Too fast, too strong. There's zero time to look for new - suitable - weapons. His leap and recharging shields are stupid.

Tells something of design if people feel need to cheese it by fooling the AI.

Been stuck in this for a while. I may have to drop the game, not feeling it after this. Which is a shame - it has been a great game this far.
I had the exact same issue with him. Eventually I found a spot above a door to which I grappled where he couldn't touch me. Then I threw all my grenades on him, and skewer shots, followed by BR and punching. He eventually died.

So basically I used my environment in a silly way to kill him, instead of just battling it out because it was too difficult. Playing on Legendary.

Last edited:
I had the exact same issue with him. Eventually I found a spot above a door to which I grappled where he couldn't touch me. Then I threw all my grenades on him, and skewer shots, followed by BR and punching. He eventually died.

So basically I used my environment in a silly way to kill him, instead of just battling it out because it was too difficult. Playing on Legendary.
I'll have to try it out when i play through the game again but I think he can be assassinated from behind. After dying repeatedly for a good 30-45 minutes on heroic I killed him rather quickly by some fluke. got caught in his mad rush at me and I just started chucking grenades and spamming melee. The only logical conclusion to how he died so quickly is that I somehow melee'd him in the back. Has anyone else tried that? Would be good to know if it's possible or if I just got lucky and somehow he went down

Last edited:

RPS37

FGbJViRX0AQwzeK

FGaeBY3WYAIx0sy

FGZyiWnXMAQmgCn

FGWSWNBXoAEDBro

FGU0GdxXoAANdIk

FGWyisjX0AcqXb6
Honest question, does the full game actually have flowers?

Top Bottom