• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Vagswarm

Im doing everything but im on legendary and sometimes when my friends see me on, they want to play mp. It seems like it might be an eternity before i finish lol
I wouldn't worry about it... it's fun just discovering new areas. I found two skulls unexpectedly just by roaming around on foot and grappling to weird spots. Not to mention a bunch of different weapons. There's some interesting set ups in terms of mobs around areas you wouldn't expect. I was completely ambushed on the road, had 3 crates of those annoying linebackers blast down on me after accessing an area, found the hunters, etc. I don't follow the main path at all, even the roads. lol. Lot of mountain climbing and grappling.

When a game is really good I generally complete it entirely before moving on. Or having to play it multiple times.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Found the two regular hunters outside of the Spire. These are definitely not the same as the red ones by the skull. Much slower, deals far less damage and easier to kill. They look like the actual Halo hunters though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

THE DEMON ABSCONDS WITH MY VEHICLE !!

200.gif

This shit is just too good, lol

ebevan91

I’m pretty sure I’m near the end of the game and it’s been great so far but I’m really missing some of the classic Halo weapons.

Can't wait to see some new campaigns either.

Last edited:

Desless1

Just finished the story, and I am very happy with it. For me, this was 343 tribute story for someone special, with an ending that made me to want and be ready for more.

Now on to finish the FOBs and collectibles. Really looking forward to what's next here.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I like how most mobs manage to strike you no matter how far away you are. Thought I was clever going back to the Hunters with a rocket launcher and attacking them like a coward from the top of the mountain, and their rockets made it all the way to me! They shot way up in the air and honed in on my character in a circular motion. They even managed to kill me as I was trying to take a screenshot, lol. Their attacks were relentless.

Only managed to kill one and said screw it.
Thats my main move lol. Open world heavily favors snipers

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Im doing everything but im on legendary and sometimes when my friends see me on, they want to play mp. It seems like it might be an eternity before i finish lol
I will do legendary on the second play through. good luck with it, how difficult is it?

Vagswarm

Found a neat little trick for climbing up really high platforms (like pillars or mountains). You need the 3rd grapple upgrade to reduce the cooldown.

If you shoot up on a platform, it'll shoot you above the spot that you grappled to as your character hangs in the air... let yourself hang in the air until the grapple respawns (by doing nothing) then shoot up again to a higher spot as your character is still hanging. Repeat until you're on the top of the platform. Moving forward and jumping as you're doing it makes it a little easier.

This saved me a few times from falling into the void, and there's some spots where if you fall down there's no way back up... except this. And you can spiderman through anything with ease.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You really made me smile with that "STFU", and yep I agree, it bothered me when he said it was time to slip away with that whining voice; I would have loved that was an interactive scene where I could have dropped a grenade from my hands near his feet :D
This is the Halo I wanted since the beginning, and I'm playing it for the first time the day of my birthday :)
Happy Birthday! What a great Birthday gift from 343 🎂

I'm not ... getting this game and how it gets so much praise. The people that keep praising this and saying it is the best Halo ever yet, and marked as a much needed change for the franchise in genre, really need to look around and see that this basically a botched job.The gunplay is fun, and the weapons are varied, especially from those mini-bosses. However the story and the way this game is framed as a narrative to ignore the past four game is just sad.

Not only that, but spending however many millions on this game, only for it to be a one biome, Far Cry rip off is disappointing in a few ways. Mostly because I would rather take a cinematic linear shooter at this point 2021 / 2022 that would last me 10-12 hours, rather than the collection marathon this game is doing. I audibly sighed and groaned (mostly because I decided to go completely blind on this game), when the tactical map with FOBs appeared, and the faux mini-rpg skill set that you can upgrade by collecting Spartan cores. Yes Microsoft and 343, I really wanted a by the numbers reboot of a franchise where after every iteration the makers keep getting cold feet over, antagonists, protagonists, and locations. At least 5 ended on an interesting idea, but now we're back to shooting Coven... I mean Banished, also we're going to introduce a new race of super baddies. - In order to get there though ! Don't forget to collect Cores, Audio Logs ( PFFF story telling through cutscenes and actual NPC interactions , and interesting locations, fuck that, here's a copy pasted open world for you after we decided to delay this game for years). Also remember to read the comics or books we might release to fill the gaps.

Also I wish I would have the ability to call down vehicles/marines for reinforcements anywhere as long as I am not in a fight, so that I wouldn't have to keep going back to FOBs.

Yeah I sound like a bitter fuck, but how hard is it to just have a plan for a franchise ,and regardless of how certain fans react to it, to stick to an overall vision. How the fuck does Gears of War actually manage to be a better game at this point and franchise where the open world there was fun and did not feel a complete slog.

The multiplayer is fun, but other than that, meh I give it a low rental (as Double Toasted would say)

Edit: I feel like the fans keep complaining about certain stuff, but they don't realize just how worse a company can make a product (in this case mostly videogames). With Halo after 3 it's like they cannot decide what they want to do, and the fans yelling is not really helping them.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
I'm not ... getting this game and how it gets so much praise. The people that keep praising this and saying it is the best Halo ever yet, and marked as a much needed change for the franchise in genre, really need to look around and see that this basically a botched job.The gunplay is fun, and the weapons are varied, especially from those mini-bosses. However the story and the way this game is framed as a narrative to ignore the past four game is just sad.

Not only that, but spending however many millions on this game, only for it to be a one biome, Far Cry rip off is disappointing in a few ways. Mostly because I would rather take a cinematic linear shooter at this point 2021 / 2022 that would last me 10-12 hours, rather than the collection marathon this game is doing. I audibly sighed and groaned (mostly because I decided to go completely blind on this game), when the tactical map with FOBs appeared, and the faux mini-rpg skill set that you can upgrade by collecting Spartan cores. Yes Microsoft and 343, I really wanted a by the numbers reboot of a franchise where after every iteration the makers keep getting cold feet over, antagonists, protagonists, and locations. At least 5 ended on an interesting idea, but now we're back to shooting Coven... I mean Banished, also we're going to introduce a new race of super baddies. - In order to get there though ! Don't forget to collect Cores, Audio Logs ( PFFF story telling through cutscenes and actual NPC interactions , and interesting locations, fuck that, here's a copy pasted open world for you after we decided to delay this game for years). Also remember to read the comics or books we might release to fill the gaps.

Also I wish I would have the ability to call down vehicles/marines for reinforcements anywhere as long as I am not in a fight, so that I wouldn't have to keep going back to FOBs.

Yeah I sound like a bitter fuck, but how hard is it to just have a plan for a franchise ,and regardless of how certain fans react to it, to stick to an overall vision. How the fuck does Gears of War actually manage to be a better game at this point and franchise where the open world there was fun and did not feel a complete slog.

The multiplayer is fun, but other than that, meh I give it a low rental (as Double Toasted would say)

Edit: I feel like the fans keep complaining about certain stuff, but they don't realize just how worse a company can make a product (in this case mostly videogames). With Halo after 3 it's like they cannot decide what they want to do, and the fans yelling is not really helping them.

Fun gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Story
At least for me. I actually find it really rare in any video game to find the story absolutely amazing, even in a game like the TLOUS2, just bleak and depressing in an attempt to be different. To me the game grabbed me with the amazing visuals and gameplay and backdrop, not so much the bleak characters.

Vagswarm

It's actually pretty awesome how you can choose to enter a firefight.......from the front? Attack from the side? Climb up high and snipe? Run right in and create chaos? Grab a vehicle? Toss 4 grenades and run?
No doubt. And when you come in from an unexpected angle, there might be some sweet weapons waiting for you to kill everything from behind with! I don't do the main path at all and there's so many different ways of getting to areas, and a lot of random mobs and stashes. Getting to the highest peaks pays off big time.

Chukhopops

I'm really impressed with what they did with the Hunters AI, they can turtle, they can split and flank you, charge, try to take you out of cover. When you kill one the behaviour of the other changes, and they even have different sounds depending on the situation.

AI has been pretty stagnant recently so it's nice to see a game pushing the boundaries a little bit, with every species having a clear behaviour.

Everything you just said is wrong. Botched? Nowhere near. Doesn't at all ignore the narrative of the past four games, where the hell are you even getting that? I wonder sometimes if people are even playing this game at all. If you played it the praise it's getting would be immediately obvious and make sense. It isn't hyperbole to say this is the best Halo campaign ever, it's legitimately that damn good. No Halo Campaign puts all that's best about Halo together better than this game does, and the storytelling and narrative are excellent, and the new additions to the franchise, FOBs, high value targets, upgrades, open world structure and design, the grappleshot, everything makes for one of the best first person shooters I've ever played, and that world and environmental design and art direction are all pretty damn top notch.

And you don't always have to keep going back to FOBs, if you did enough of the side objectives, various parts of the ring would be more populated with marine UNSC presence, leading to situations where you literally end up receiving back up at the most unexpected of times.

And you speak like you're forced to go collect cores and all this other stuff. You are not. You seem very uninformed about this game, which probably already tells me what I'm dealing with, and suggests to me I wasted my time even typing this. And the world is far from a copy and paste. It's very uniquely artist designed all over. What's consistent is a visual theme, but the areas are far from copy and pasted. That's the type of thing someone who didn't really play the game would say, or at least that's how I see it. If you are under the impression that 343 up and abandoned everything about Halo 4 and 5 then you're clearly not paying attention to or playing this game. That's all for me in this thread. Back to the game.

Vagswarm

Thats my main move lol. Open world heavily favors snipers
It sure does. I don't want to be too cheap by sniping everything, but I do carry a distance rifle of some sort almost all the time. Usually it's the one the marines carry and has been a staple in all the games since CE. Running and gunning snipers from a distance is great fun, and I never get tired of headshotting those mobs with blue helmets from a distance.

Vagswarm

Sniping is great to take out the riff raff and weaken the big boys. I took a scorpion to a fight, that worked out in my favor.
I also like taking the 6 man warthog loaded up with a crew to raid a base. They do a great job of destroying/distracting enemies to lighten my load.
You deserve credit for being able to drive to bases without getting stuck. On that note: it's hilarious when mobs are driving vehicles and get stuck as well. We're not the only ones dealing with the sh**ty mechanics. Haha

Vehicle mobs are definitely much easier in this game than any of the previous ones.

Last edited:
This game is a roller coaster ride between hilarious and rage inducing, both in a good way. I'll do something so insane I'll be chuckling for an hour, then I'll walk into a boss fight with two bullets left and no support, but my pride won't let me not win the fight as-is. I swear I spent two hours fighting the Spartan Killers by the ship graveyard all alone. I had a MR40 with 30 shots left and a 25% plasma rifle. It wasn't until I'd managed to pick off the guy on the platforms, then stole the other guys chopper and ran him down with it a dozen times that night fell. It was then I saw that there are literally dozens of weapon lockers in the area that light up green at night full of BR75s and VK78s.

Earlier I was fighting some armored Brutes and a pile of Grunts with a Warthog. I killed one of the Brutes making all the Grunts run away scared.

"No, stand and fight you fools! Destroy the Demon and his Tusk Buggy"

I fucking lost it.

This game is a roller coaster ride between hilarious and rage inducing, both in a good way. I'll do something so insane I'll be chuckling for an hour, then I'll walk into a boss fight with two bullets left and no support, but my pride won't let me not win the fight as-is. I swear I spent two hours fighting the Spartan Killers by the ship graveyard all alone. I had a MR40 with 30 shots left and a 25% plasma rifle. It wasn't until I'd managed to pick off the guy on the platforms, then stole the other guys chopper and ran him down with it a dozen times that night fell. It was then I saw that there are literally dozens of weapon lockers in the area that light up green at night full of BR75s and VK78s.

Earlier I was fighting some armored Brutes and a pile of Grunts with a Warthog. I killed one of the Brutes making all the Grunts run away scared.

"No, stand and fight you fools! Destroy the Demon and his Tusk Buggy"

I fucking lost it.

I had to jack the brute chopper for that fight but still took me a good 10 or so attempts because of the wide turning circle trying to line up a run at the guy in the water.

Topher

Gold Member
Just beat Chak Lok (think that's his name). Now I'm just enjoying all the open world goodness. Going after captured troops, finding Spartan cores and other collectibles, taking FOBs.

Fun.
As.
Hell.

First Halo I've ever played, but now I'm really looking forward to going back and play the previous games. I know they are not open world, but there is a lot of back story that I want to experience.

UncleMeat

I played Halo 1 through 5 in the weeks leading up to release and really loving the marines. It's always fun to see how far you can get them. So being able to load up a razorhog full of marines to go on (for them, probable suicide) missions is just outstanding.

Goddamn how are some of you finishing it so fast? Skipping side missions? Normal difficulty?

I did the first on nomal and the 2nd on heroic. Did all the side missions both times with the exception of the HVTs on the heroic playthrough. My saves say 17 hours on 1 and 14 on 2 so I guess I just played a lot of halo! :messenger_beaming:

Batiman

Banned
Just beat Chak Lok (think that's his name). Now I'm just enjoying all the open world goodness. Going after captured troops, finding Spartan cores and other collectibles, taking FOBs.

Fun.
As.
Hell.

First Halo I've ever played, but now I'm really looking forward to going back and play the previous games. I know they are not open world, but there is a lot of back story that I want to experience.
Nah you’ll still love them regardless of open world or not. Halo 1 still holds up great for its age.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I'm really impressed with what they did with the Hunters AI, they can turtle, they can split and flank you, charge, try to take you out of cover. When you kill one the behaviour of the other changes, and they even have different sounds depending on the situation.

AI has been pretty stagnant recently so it's nice to see a game pushing the boundaries a little bit, with every species having a clear behaviour.
I genuinely was a little scared when I killed one hunter and the other went into this rage mode.

Batiman

Banned

Gears of war open world was fun? I loved gears but that’s a lie.

Concern

5 had a good ending and gears 5 open world was good? Lmao i think we're done here

Sakura

Confused about a plot point. I havent beaten it yet so..

Chief needs Weapon to collect spire code fragments so they can access the spire.... so why does he try to delete her twice before the job is done?

It's not very well conveyed but he believes Weapon could be compromised by the entity attacking her, the Harbinger I think, so he opts to delete her. He's kinda shown as not trusting her before that, like when he is questioning her on not being sure on things. He blames himself for what Cortana did, and doesn't want a repeat. Or at least I think that is what is going on.
How would he stop the spire without her though? No idea.
It also seems kind of out of character for the chief to just lie like that. But maybe that's the point.

Sakura

I do have a lot of criticisms of the story, and some of the open world design. There could definitely be some QOL improvements, like being able to choose loadouts for your marines, rather than having to go to the weapon box, grabbing the weapon, tracking down the marine, swapping his weapon, etc.
I also agree that it isn't the best Halo ever.
That being said, I do think it is the best 343 Halo game. It is the only Halo game by them that I actually enjoyed playing start to finish. The gameplay is rock solid, and in my opinion at least, has the potential to be something amazing with significant content updates in the future.

evanft

Agreed. Halo has become like Pokemon.

The narrative alone is a complete mess. What the hell happened in between 5 and Infinite? Why are we on Zeta Halo? Where did the Banished come from? Why is the UNSC here? It takes them like 2/3 of the game to really explain any of this, and by that point I didn't care. What's even worse is the stuff that happens between 5 and Infinite sounded 10000x more interesting than what's going on during Infinite. Why the FUCK don't I get to play that?

Then there's the "open world" design, which is to say a bunch of empty space in between side missions that have essentially no impact on anything other than unlocking some equipment at the FOBs. Does defeating a high value target remove them from a future mission? No of course not why would it do that. Do the high value targets have some kind of interesting backstory that enriches the narrative? No you get a page of text in the menu. Well does liberating a group of marines open up extra support in missions? Nope. OK but certainly taking out a Banished base does something, right? Maybe weakens certain enemies or forces the Banished to change their tactics? Nah, none of that happens. At least with some other games that fall into the pointless side mission trap, they spice it up through the actual gameplay by making the locations, enemies, or your toolbox have enough variety to it that they don't get stale. Or maybe they'll add something extra to flesh out the narrative. But none of that happens here.

So maybe the core missions are good, right? While they have their moments, so many of them feel artificially lengthened through the use of the same copy/paste rooms. Oh look, a forerunner room full of Banished that looks exactly the fucking same as the last three. Oh, you want me to go to four separate spires to activate a terminal? Oh sure that sounds like fun. OH NO! WE NEED POWER CELLS FOR EACH OF THESE THREE CONDUITS! Yeah, running into a room and grabbing one over and over again sure does sound great.

Probably the worst shooter I've played all year.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the campaign and I really loved the gameplay. It’s the story that didn’t impact me. They’re really making Cortana out to be some sorta human. It’s AI if AI was at the level of Skynet.
that whole deal with her talking to you like she loves you. It was like the MC and her had something romantic going on. Here I am thinking back to Halo 5 and how we saw Cortana basically controlling the computer aboard a craft. Then we jump to holograms of her and the big ape guy discussing terms with each other. Let’s not forget that they do another f****ing guy for the next game. That could have been another Elite monster. The brute characters are cool, but their personality is just being a brute

It’s an amazing Halo game, but if you ask me it takes every single thing about the series and jam packs it into a very well done open world game. The plot is there, but the gameplay keeps it going really hard. There are some awesome moments. My one criticism is this: some of the objectives start to blend together and some of the buildings or structures leave me feeling like, “did I just go through this like 5 minutes ago?”. I enjoyed the last couple missions, but I’m also thinking they took the Cortana thing from all the way back to Halo 3’s “you are my.. and my..” that whole hardened relationship between those two and they made Infinite in a wrapper.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Public Service Announcement:
I've seen several people comment that the game is either too easy or too hard on the difficulty they selected at the start and want to change it. I also seen several comments that you can't change it. Actually you can.

I was reading one article and there was a link to this another article explaining how to change the difficulty in Infinite.
Halo Infinite: How to Change Difficulty (gamerant.com)
  • If players are currently in the middle of playing Halo Infinite, they will need to leave their game by going into the menu and selecting "End Game."
  • Choose "Okay" to head back to the main menu.
  • Now, make sure to choose "Load Game," and not "Continue." If Halo Infinite players choose to continue, they will go back to their file without being able to change the difficulty setting.
  • Choose the file to load, and then players can change the difficulty settings from here

Hope this helps anyone that wants to change the difficulty. Had I known about this during the Chak Lok boss fight I might have dropped to normal he was so frustrating for me. I did finally beat that bitch, so I'm glad I didn't change it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Confused about a plot point. I havent beaten it yet so..

Chief needs Weapon to collect spire code fragments so they can access the spire.... so why does he try to delete her twice before the job is done?

He's
not willing to risk another compromised AI like Cortana. He's learnt a pretty hard lesson in that regard by Infinite.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I unlocked a new weapon for the fob bases. Are you able to unlock every weapon for your bases at some point or only some?

THE DUCK

Banned
I'm not done yet, but I can tell I'm going to want to replay the game at higher difficulty when I'm done. That's actually never happened for me before, I've replayed halo games but always years later.

Lol that second boss in
The Tower
. Just stun locked him with those electric grenades and strip his shield with the ravager. Finish him off with the bulldog shotgun. Took a bit to figure out the strat.
While I think the story is weaker than 5 in the opening missions ( why is EVERYTHING happening off screen?) , the open world gameplay is top tier.

Sakura

I unlocked a new weapon for the fob bases. Are you able to unlock every weapon for your bases at some point or only some?
Only the weapons listed under the FOB tab in the menu, which is just the human weapons, plus all the weapons you get from killing HVTs.

Flintty

Yeah I keep getting distracted by multiplayer. As great as the campaign is, I’ve never been tempted away from it by multiplayer before, which is a testament to how fucking good multiplayer is.

Trunim

After playing for a while, the story and dialogue is so bad it kinda takes away from the fun. The villain is so basic and on a childish level, it's annoying. This is my first Halo game, maybe that's the style of this series.

Last edited:
So if it isn’t immediately apparent, if you start a new game to collect a skull you missed on the first levels then reload your main game file the skulls carry over.

Top Bottom