• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

JLB

Banned
What is the Hydra good for?

Bored Nothing GIF

Specially on MP, its completely useless.

Concern

Just finished a 2nd playthrough on heroic. Gameplay is just too good.

I hope the bring back assassinations soon though, I love those.

Completed it last night. Wayyyyy better than I thought it would be. Was worried about the open world aspect interfering with the campaign but it really added to it.

I liked there was so much to do once the campaign was finished. I just got to mop up the Spartan mods now.

really impressive game

Goddamn how are some of you finishing it so fast? Skipping side missions? Normal difficulty?

In matchmaking the hydra is fun to lock onto players and shoot them from distance. Takes about 5 shots for a kill though. Also very useful when dealing with vehicles of any kind. In campaign i tended to avoid it, though still helpful against vehicles. The few times i had it equipped I used its non-locking mode at close range for killing non-bosses.
I'm only playing campaign so far and I think I'm getting faster kills on Elites or Brutes with the revolver. Hell it takes more then one hydra shot to kill a grunt.

Flintty

Some Infinite screens sourced from various places.

And to think people were complaining about the games graphics. The texturing and environmental effects are exceptionally good. That it runs in a high resolution and solid frame rate on appropriate hardware is just the cherry on top.

FGbJViRX0AQwzeK

FGaeBY3WYAIx0sy

FGZyiWnXMAQmgCn

FGWSWNBXoAEDBro

FGU0GdxXoAANdIk

FGWyisjX0AcqXb6
Yeah I'm loving the look and atmosphere. Need a photo mode or at least a way to hide the UI on console. Unless it's buried in settings somewhere - I haven't checked.

Hal.

Phew, took me approx 20 hours. Captured all the bases, did most of the high value targets, got enough Spartan cores to fully upgrade.

Lucky I did most of the open world shit before it starts to railroad you.

Fun game, although my main gripe was that you couldn’t keep you marines in the warthog to provide fire support and they’d exit as soon as you got out.

Basically just used the BR and the Assault Rifle for most of the game, and the sentinel beam to kill the drones when needed.

Thought some of the bosses were bs with hit boxes and undodgeable attacks but no real complaints overall.

Ability switching took a bit of getting used to and imo ability switching should have been a single tap on the dpad in each direction, with grenade switching being a double tap and flashlight holding up.

Sakura

Finished the game on heroic. 18 hours with 76% complete. Did all the FOBs, marine rescue, artifacts, HVTs, but didn't bother with all the spartan cores (no point really) and haven't gotten all the MP stuff yet, will go back and get them some other time.
I think the gameplay is really good, but some enemies feel too much like bullet sponges, and the vehicles seem too unbalanced (why is a razorback so much better than anything else, even a tank?). Kind of iffy on the abilities. Grapplehook is great, tons of fun, but the other abilities just seem kind of useless save the sensor. I think the main issue is you have to trade out the grapplehook to use another ability, but why would I ever want to give it up? I think it might work better if the grapple was its own thing bound to a separate button, and you could use abilities on top of it.
The story wasn't so great. Nothing really happens? The open world as well doesn't integrate with the story/campaign at all really. It's like they are two completely separate things and it doesn't make a lot of sense. The only thing I really like was the Chief and the Weapon. She's so much better than Cortana.
I think the foundation here is really good, and could be a really great game if they significantly build on it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
When do you encounter hunters? 9 hours in and am yet to find them.

They are in few spots in the open world (one pair is guarding a skull) and later in story mission. You will encounter both "classic Covenant" variant and "red Banished" variant. There's also a high-value target mission for 2 Hunters.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

When do you encounter hunters? 9 hours in and am yet to find them.
Some spoilers (non-story) ahead:

They are located in the top left region (above Outpost Tremenous; the very first base in the game) to the left of where the elite Inka Saham resides. They are by the water underneath the mountain. I have the exact location on the pic below:

OX5W4yI.jpg

This is how I got there: I did a leap + grapple along the Barracuda Squad area. If you jump down by those glass pillars, you can make it across. Normally you would fall halfway across, but that's when you use the grapple to latch onto the glass pillar on the opposite side. Here is that general location:

OuNGjJH.jpg

I'm not sure when this area opens up, but I did it after the tunnel main mission.

Vagswarm

What is the Hydra good for?
Locking onto vehicle targets (for alternate) or just bombing individual mobs. I use it pretty often.

But the Cindershot was a life saver in the tunnel mission. That one lets you aim at the target after you shoot (for alternate) and explodes on impact. Took out 6 of those annoying flying mobs in one shot.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Goddamn how are some of you finishing it so fast? Skipping side missions? Normal difficulty?
I don't get it either. Maybe I'm just slow and like to take things in and explore everything. And not play 18 hours a day, lol.

Even when a bunch of us were playing Diablo 2: Ressurected when it launched, most of the folks on here already beat the game on Hell difficulty by the time my slow ass just made it to Nightmare difficulty. Someone had to let Baal corrupt the worldstone, though, right?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BTW, vehicle unlocks are tied to valor so I would highly recommend everyone to try and get to 2600 Valor ASAP so you can unlock the WASP.

Once you unlock the WASP, the entire world is laid open and you can just basically collect everything and kill all high value targets.

I saw this video about how you can actually find one wasp in the world without meeting the valor requirements as well in case anyone wants to:

--

For me, I was doing pretty much all side activity I could find on the map before story missions, so I unlocked the wasp as I entered the fourth zone of the map.

Sakura

I don't get it either. Maybe I'm just slow and like to take things in and explore everything. And not play 18 hours a day, lol.

Even when a bunch of us were playing Diablo 2: Ressurected when it launched, most of the folks on here already beat the game on Hell difficulty by the time my slow ass just made it to Nightmare difficulty. Someone had to let Baal corrupt the worldstone, though, right?
The game isn't that long, and you can still do the open world stuff after finishing the campaign so you don't need to do everything before deciding to tackle the story.

yamaci17

i have to admit i binge played the game and now feel guilty, haha :messenger_grinning_sweat: it just sucked me in, i started the game the day it was released, quick work in 2 days... 8 hrs playtime for each.

Vagswarm

Oh look a Skull in a tree trunk with two red Hunters guarding it. I'm armed with a full load of grenades, a Skewer and A Sniper Rifle. I'll just take them out with the Sniper rifle, at most I'll stick a couple grenades to them to finish them off.

Holy shit did I get my shit pushed in. These were the first Hunters I've run into in the game and even with me Spider-manning around the trees I can't get behind the fuckers and their weapons are brutal.

I grabbed the skull and ran away like a bitch.
You're not kidding. I was trying to beat those assholes for at least an hour to no avail. They were ruthless and wouldn't separate for nothing. Much harder than I remember from the original games. The best I got was knocking off one of their back shields. The dash ability did all of nothing.

When you go after the skull, they chase after you like you're trying to kidnap one of their children. They killed me pretty quick as I was looting it but still managed to get it. Kind of want to go back with some heavy artillery just to see what they drop. And get revenge which is so sweet in this game.

*It was really cool seeing them for the first time though. I was on top of the massive mountain beside them and seen two red crab-looking creatures below. Had to do a triple check until I realized what they were.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yeah i'm about 14 hours in and only dont the Tower story mission. Just been exploring and clearing the map.
I dont get how people are finishing in like 18 hours.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Sigh.

When you're just about to wrap up a difficult, hectic encounter, there's one baddie left and he's one of those little snots so you're thinking "finally, easy kill and this is done". Out of ammo you move to finish him with melee, yet you slightly miss with your grappling hook, and as you stumble past he clubs you to death and then dances over your corpse and talks shit. I can't believe a NPC almost made me rage quit.

Pilgrimzero

Confused about a plot point. I havent beaten it yet so..

Chief needs Weapon to collect spire code fragments so they can access the spire.... so why does he try to delete her twice before the job is done?

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
BTW, vehicle unlocks are tied to valor so I would highly recommend everyone to try and get to 2600 Valor ASAP so you can unlock the WASP.

Once you unlock the WASP, the entire world is laid open and you can just basically collect everything and kill all high value targets.

I saw this video about how you can actually find one wasp in the world without meeting the valor requirements as well in case anyone wants to:

--

For me, I was doing pretty much all side activity I could find on the map before story missions, so I unlocked the wasp as I entered the fourth zone of the map.

It's good advice but it makes the game way too easy, imo. Once I got the Wasp, I was basically just flying around and checking things off my to-do list, secretly hoping to get shot down and have to use my noggin again.

Vagswarm

I like how most mobs manage to strike you no matter how far away you are. Thought I was clever going back to the Hunters with a rocket launcher and attacking them like a coward from the top of the mountain, and their rockets made it all the way to me! They shot way up in the air and honed in on my character in a circular motion. They even managed to kill me as I was trying to take a screenshot, lol. Their attacks were relentless.

Only managed to kill one and said screw it.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm loving that, I smile every time when I hear them talking trash, it's pure art :D
I like a lot the graphics and art design, so happy to play Halo again, and loving this Halo.

I love the grunts so much, they're hilarious. Much to my surprise I really like The Weapon. From the trailers I thought I was going to hate her, but she's really likeable and such a charming, naïve counterpart to the Chief's stoic personality. I love that the badass Chief is back, and his dry interactions with The Weapon are excellent. The only character I don't like is the whiny pilot, he can STFU.

On top of everything else that is so great in this game is the fact that it really has a ton of personality.

Concern

I have done all the side missions , yeah normal difficulty. I have put hours into it lol.

it’s called having no life 😂😂😂

Im doing everything but im on legendary and sometimes when my friends see me on, they want to play mp. It seems like it might be an eternity before i finish lol

Caio

I love the grunts so much, they're hilarious. Much to my surprise I really like The Weapon. From the trailers I thought I was going to hate her, but she's really likeable and such a charming, naïve counterpart to the Chief's stoic personality. I love that the badass Chief is back, and his dry interactions with The Weapon are excellent. The only character I don't like is the whiny pilot, he can STFU.

On top of everything else that is so great in this game is the fact that it really has a ton of personality.
You really made me smile with that "STFU", and yep I agree, it bothered me when he said it was time to slip away with that whining voice; I would have loved that was an interactive scene where I could have dropped a grenade from my hands near his feet :D
This is the Halo I wanted since the beginning, and I'm playing it for the first time the day of my birthday :)

Top Bottom