• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Wow, just loaded up Halo 3 again (to see if I still know how to get out of "The Ark"), and man, it looks... Well, not as good as I remember it. :lol

Still plays like a dream, though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm just about to start playing Reach again after a long time off it, so I'm hoping to befriend a few gaffers for some casual fun. Is there an XBL account I can grab friends off? My tag is in my profile.

Anyone think we should spawn with plasma grenades on Prophet (Midship) in the Team Classic playlist?

Frags are so easy to place that it turns into a nade fest on that map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to save myself the frustration. I just need 5/8 over the weekend.

Finally got it with 3-ball on Countdown. It was luck more than anything else or the lack of it in my case.

I stuck with it in case tomorrow there's something like get 50 FF/Campaign Assists or something. There will be knowing my luck.

I wouldn't bother with any sort of Assist daily, but the strict requirement of the weekly, with that healthy payment is just about incentive enough. For now.

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
Anyone think we should spawn with plasma grenades on Prophet (Midship) in the Team Classic playlist?

Frags are so easy to place that it turns into a nade fest on that map.
And you thing that plasmas would be better? :lol

squidhands said:
We should play together more (stupid two hour time difference), I'm down for whatever
firefight, lol

Speaking of customs, I feel that this should be played. Looks incredible. Final two stages are inside the ship.

silentbarbmedshot.jpg

reach_10301290_Full.jpg

Late on the reply, but this looks amazing. If this plays well it should be added into MM. We need more invasion maps, and forge could really provide.

Tunavi

Banned
Wow, I just had 4/8 assists with 30 seconds left in a Multi-team crazy king game. I got the 8th assist with 5 seconds on the clock. That was clutch.

Demoncarnotaur said:
Late on the reply, but this looks amazing. If this plays well it should be added into MM. We need more invasion maps, and forge could really provide.
It would be great, for sure. I'm worried about the potential for screen lag, but we'll see soon enough I suppose.

MrBig

squidhands said:
I'd be worried about that too. It looks like he used all his objects in that small area that is the ship, with just a few objects spread out on the ground for the first phase.I downloaded it wand will load it up sometime today

So, going back into Halo 3, I realized a couple of things...

- This game's screenshot system rapes Reach's screenshot system in the ear
- No "Return to Battlefield"-warnings makes anything better
- No Sprint button makes me sad
- Breaking out of maps is still awesomely fun

I did a writeup over on HBO detailing my journey through "The Ark", if you're interested, go check it out.

Oozer3993

squidhands said:
It would be great, for sure. I'm worried about the potential for screen lag, but we'll see soon enough I suppose.

I downloaded it yesterday and did a quick run through and it did get choppy in the ship. A nice little touch I noticed is that the only weapons in the ship are Covenant ones.

Willeth

Oozer3993 said:
I downloaded it yesterday and did a quick run through and it did get choppy in the ship. A nice little touch I noticed is that the only weapons in the ship are Covenant ones.
I just played it for a bit, and it looks like it's pretty simple to get the Ghosts in the Canyon up into the ship once you figure out how. The Warthog can do it if it's parked on the disc when the lift activates, too, although this is less useful.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
Wow, I just had 4/8 assists with 30 seconds left in a Multi-team crazy king game. I got the 8th assist with 5 seconds on the clock. That was clutch.
Your teammate who cleaned up the kill clutched it for you.

MrBig

Eh, took a look around the ship map. gameplay looks like it would be bland, and it's not correctly set up for invasion. It looks amazing though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Blue Ninja said:
So, going back into Halo 3, I realized a couple of things...

- This game's screenshot system rapes Reach's screenshot system in the ear
- No "Return to Battlefield"-warnings makes anything better
- No Sprint button makes me sad
- Breaking out of maps is still awesomely fun

I did a writeup over on HBO detailing my journey through "The Ark", if you're interested, go check it out.
Yeah the Screens in H3 come out cleaner looking also I swear the water is better in H3. /crazyperson

Plywood said:
Yeah the Screens in H3 come out cleaner looking also I swear the water is better in H3. /crazyperson
No man, I feel exactly the same. If you compare the water on Forge World with, for instance, the water on Sierra 117, you can definitely see the H3 water is a lot better looking.

Striker

Blue Ninja said:
No man, I feel exactly the same. If you compare the water on Forge World with, for instance, the water on Sierra 117, you can definitely see the H3 water is a lot better looking.
Water difference between a huge, massive "world" to a small, simplistic forest area. Gee.

I do somewhat agree, though, the water didn't make any leaps. It makes up for it in terms of other fronts, because Halo 3 lacked that in most others. Jaggies. :|

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
Just goes to show you that they went too far in making reach "gritty" :lol

JonCha

Played the aforementioned invasion map earlier. Visually spectacular, but as others have said I'm not how it great it would be form a gameplay perspective.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why does the photomode in H3 look better than in Reach? It's not that I agree or disagree but the Reach shots never really look as good as the game does when I play it.

MrBig

Kuroyume said:
Why does the photomode in H3 look better than in Reach? It's not that I agree or disagree but the Reach shots never really look as good as the game does when I play it.
The jpeg compression is too high and the colors are off. When I resize it using bicubic sharper and duplicate the layer and blend it with soft light at 50% it comes out closer to how it looks in the game.

MrBig said:
Eh, took a look around the ship map. gameplay looks like it would be bland, and it's not correctly set up for invasion. It looks amazing though.
How difficult would it be to fix for customs? I've never set up an Invasion map so I don't have a clue how to do it properly.

Dani said:
Invasion maps are a pain to setup and if you haven't done it before, you'll make a lot of tiny and large mistakes. That's before even trying to balance it correctly.
That's what I figured. I've got a smaller-scale Invasion map built, but I've never set up the gametype.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
squidhands said:
How difficult would it be to fix for customs? I've never set up an Invasion map so I don't have a clue how to do it properly.

Invasion maps are a pain to setup and if you haven't done it before, you'll make a lot of tiny and large mistakes. That's before even trying to balance it correctly.

MrBig

Dani said:
I know how to do them, I can do it now.

MrBig

squidhands said:
Oh good. At least we'll be able to leave the author some feedback on how to fix his shit.
Ugh, there's hardly any way to balance the spawns. It's going to be a crap fest no matter what.

MrBig said:
Ugh, there's hardly any way to balance the spawns. It's going to be a crap fest no matter what.
That's not surprising, considering the confines of the ship. As long as the stages work properly, it'll be good enough for a test game.

edit: your Spiderman/Grandpa Simpson avatar is the best thing ever.

Top Bottom