• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tawpgun

Blue Ninja said:
So, going back into Halo 3, I realized a couple of things...

- This game's screenshot system rapes Reach's screenshot system in the ear
- No "Return to Battlefield"-warnings makes anything better
- No Sprint button makes me sad
- Breaking out of maps is still awesomely fun
Less barriers/option to take them out has been on my wishlist since H3 disappointed I'm this department.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Deputy Moonman said:
Man this game is getting better. Really enjoying the classic playlist.

fakeimages.jpg

Nuborn

Remember this from the April fools 2010 vidoc?
0.jpg

Well, Halo Chess is real (albeit I think its a modded gametype)
HaloChess1.jpg

HaloChess2.jpg

Map & gametype can be found Here, its pretty fun to play.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Nuborn said:
Remember this from the April fools 2010 vidoc?
0.jpg

Well, Halo Chess is real (albeit I think its a modded gametype)
HaloChess1.jpg

HaloChess2.jpg

Map & gametype can be found Here, its pretty fun to play.

Mods thus far have not been that complex. In fact, that looks like some fancy work from the gametype scripting engine...

There's some interesting April Fools art gallery on Halo Waypoint go check it out.

It's absolutely hilarious. Hopefully someone can post some pictures of it

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hate that MLG submitted more than the maps and gametypes they're going to be using on the Pro Circuit. There are only 11, not fuckin 17 or whatever. Everyone votes for them too because no one knows the ones used! I've been quitting out of more matches than ever.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
So how exactly does it work?
You fly around as a cloaked monitor so that you have a view of the whole field. Go to one of your pieces and press up on the d-pad and you can become it. Hill markers appear to show you where you can move. It's turned based so I can only assume it's 2-players only, just played a game with someone. Otherwise it's just like chess.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
I hate that MLG submitted more than the maps and gametypes they're going to be using on the Pro Circuit. There are only 11, not fuckin 17 or whatever. Everyone votes for them too because no one knows the ones used! I've been quitting out of more matches than ever.

What does it matter? Seems like this would only matter to people actually playing on the circuit...

wwm0nkey

Oh shit, guys couldnt in theory someone turn this Halo Chess game into a turn based RPG if they wanted too?

Also someone needs to play this with me already D:

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Oh shit, guys couldnt in theory someone turn this Halo Chess game into a turn based RPG if they wanted too?

Also someone needs to play this with me already D:
No, it's set up in a way that it can only be used for chess. They have a hill marker that spawns the board and all the pieces, that's it. Gametype has no settings that can actually change anything, besides turn time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
What does it matter? Seems like this would only matter to people actually playing on the circuit...

Gamebattles as well. Also, the other maps and gametypes just aren't as good. If they were, they'd be used.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
No, it's set up in a way that it can only be used for chess. They have a hill marker that spawns the board and all the pieces, that's it. Gametype has no settings that can actually change anything, besides turn time.
Damn was hopeful for a minute. Really wish we could edit stuff like this and have scripted objects :/

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
I'm pretty sure this is something Bungie related now. Looking at the gametype, it's too complicated to be a mod or hack - looks like a product of the fancy gametype scripting engine and this video seals it.

Will Urk spill the beans in a few hours time?
*clicks link*

"Happy April's Fails Day folks! It's a celebration!! This week is full of wackiness and goodies that you always expect. Enjoy!"​

....I'm not going to take anything in the video especially seriously.

I fucking hate Stupid Lie Day (aside from the obvious stuff like PimpVille).

MrBig

Dani said:
I'm pretty sure this is something Bungie related now. Looking at the gametype, it's too complicated to be a mod or hack - looks like a product of the fancy gametype scripting engine and this video seals it.

Will Urk spill the beans in a few hours time?
Just Bungie delivering on their April 1st yearly announcements. B.U.N.G.L.E. pro gametypes will replace arena next season and Pimps at Sea will release in 2012.

blamite

That Chess map is pretty weird. The only object is a hill marker with the Label "board_center". Other available labels are "board_group", "z_grid_cell", and "replacement_cell".

We're through the looking glass here, people.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
*clicks link*

"Happy April's Fails Day folks! It's a celebration!! This week is full of wackiness and goodies that you always expect. Enjoy!"​

....I'm not going to take anything in the video especially seriously.

I fucking hate Stupid Lie Day (aside from the obvious stuff like PimpVille).

Lie Day is only annoying if it causes actual confusion. Nothing worse than folks weeks later not getting the joke.

But an actual working Chess gametype? That's quite impressive if it's really from Bungie/RT - which I'm convinced it is. (Heck, even if it's a mod, it's on a whole other level from any previous mod I have seen thus far.)

Good way of showing off that gametype scripting engine too.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Lie Day is only annoying if it causes actual confusion. Nothing worse than folks weeks later not getting the joke.

But an actual working Chess gametype? That's quite impressive if it's really from Bungie/RT - which I'm convinced it is. (Heck, even if it's a mod, it's on a whole other level from any previous mod I have seen thus far.)

Good way of showing off that gametype scripting engine too.
I'm intensely skeptical of stuff like this, especially when it comes to light on Stupid Lie Day. I'll be delighted if it's real, of course.

It's too much of a coincidence for me that Bungie's 2010 April 1st joke is back doing the rounds on April 1st 2011.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I'm intensely skeptical of stuff like this, especially when it comes to light on Stupid Lie Day. I'll be delighted if it's real, of course.

It's too much of a coincidence for me that Bungie's 2010 April 1st joke is back doing the rounds on April 1st 2011.
MrBig said:
Just Bungie delivering on their April 1st yearly announcements. B.U.N.G.L.E. pro gametypes will replace arena next season and Pimps at Sea will release in 2012.
It's not a joke anymore...
You can download and play the game yourself. You'll just need a second player.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

Unlike most stuff on Lie Day, ie the countless "announcements" of fake stuff and fake news stories, the Chess game is real. You can download it. It works. The Rooster Teeth folks validated it by awkwardly shoehorning it into a program where it didn't belong.

It's clearly a joke of some kind but heck, just like the BUNGLE playlist, it's more real and tangible than 99% of the stuff out there.

Regardless if the source is Bungie, RT, or some basement dwelling, modding maestro, it's pretty cool.

This is like the Star Wars Taun-Taun guts and innards sleeping bag, so awesome it became real.

Lunchbox

Banned
make ot4 on the gaming page and dont name it halo reach

put some hidden message as the title so they dont know its for halo. like Lukesmith part 4

Ramirez said:

Thats my thoughts on it, plus there are some very good maps and gametype combos in the "playlist" gametypes.

Why there isn't Bomb on Retroactive (at least its in there for Slayer) as a gametype is beyond me. Of all the MLG submission gametypes and maps, Bomb Retro is the best one I've played (the pros complained that the map was too complicated lol).

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Unlike most stuff on Lie Day, ie the countless "announcements" of fake stuff and fake news stories, the Chess game is real. You can download it. It works. The Rooster Teeth folks validated it by awkwardly shoehorning it into a program where it didn't belong.

It's clearly a joke of some kind but heck, just like the BUNGLE playlist, it's more real and tangible than 99% of the stuff out there.

Regardless if the source is Bungie, RT, or some basement dwelling, modding maestro, it's pretty cool.

This is like the Star Wars Taun-Taun guts and innards sleeping bag, so awesome it became real.
That's the one I'm worried about.

I've been burned and burned hard on Stupid Lie Day before and it left scars. My employer thought it would be funny a few years ago to put up an April 1st note denying rumored mass layoffs coming as a joke...a few days after I got an actual buyout offer to walk away from the job with a severance package due to upcoming layoffs. I've been crazy skeptical since then and hate the tradition. Until someone from Bungie says it's real, I refuse to beLIEve until confirmed that it's real.

Neat if Bungie made it and released it. Seriously. Will download once it's confirmed.
urk said:
Go ahead and download it. :)
Believe.

Havok

urk said:
Go ahead and download it. :)
Is there any chance that the tools used to make this stuff will ever be exposed to the end users?

On an unrelated note, Halo: Reach |OT4| If They Came to Hear Me Whine...

Top Bottom