• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of which. I was thinking about those generators in Generator Defense.

Bungie has said it's not a final game type, just something mocked up for the Beta. But those generators are fully fleshed out, functioning assets, fully detailed and which assplode quite nicely. So they're clearly used for something in the game.

Building off my speculation that what Bungie is testing is Firefight networking code - simulating AI opponents in the background - I'm thinking they may play a role in one of the Firefight game types. The generators are clearly human/UNSC in design. I can see a Firefight game type where the goal isn't just to survive, but prevent the invading Covenant from destroying a set of generators, perhaps replicating a similar situation that takes place in the campaign. [/wishful speculation]
Hm. If you're going in the right direction, these generators, if they do exist in another game mode of Reach, could be the Orbital Defense Generators used to power Reach's planetary MACs. Their place in the story is similar to their role in NT1: Human forces (Spartans) are sent to protect the generators from Covenant ground forces (Elites).

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Hm. If you're going in the right direction, these generators, if they do exist in another game mode of Reach, could be the Orbital Defense Generators used to power Reach's planetary MACs. Their place in the story is similar to their role in NT1: Human forces (Spartans) are sent to protect the generators from Covenant ground forces (Elites).
Exactly.

In the game type, Spartans need to defend the generators from attacking Elites on the planet Reach. (In the pic, they're marked as UNSC.) Which is what is described in that entry. Another hint is in the name: they're called an "Orbital Defense Generator", and the gametype is "Generator Defense".

EDIT: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Bnet_ReachBeta

HOLY SHIT

beta_render_video.jpg

GhaleonEB

Questions: are film clips in the Beta, or just saved films of the entire match?

Six slots for file share?

Theater funtionality - how limited?

It's really staggering that they have all of this up and running for the Beta. Clearly they're really building on what Halo 3 and ODST accomplished and have their ducks in a row much earlier than before. Most (all?) retail games can't touch what's in the Reach Beta.

Achronos said:
And that's why I mocked that fake bnet screen going around earlier. :D
You're good people.

Wow, the UI for Reach, both in-game and now on Bungie.net looks fucking awesome. Such a massive improvement over Halo 3 (which wasn't exactly ugly to begin with). Awesome work.

feel

About the podcast music, does it need to have lyrics all the way through, or can it just be mostly a funky midi techno beat with an announcer introducing the podcast midway.

edit- HOLYSHIAT at the Bnet stuff!!! :O

Short but sweet update with plenty of good teaser pictures.
I'd love for the Beta, or the final release of a game, the ability to access our stats in-game on our Xbox. Is that doable?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mancannon, one quick question about Invasion Slayer;
  • Can you confirm or deny that teams take turns as both Elites and Spartans, both on defence and offence, during a single game?

The Reach version of Bnet looks amazing, they've already taken online stats tracking to another level before anyone else has even had a chance to catch up.

Is there a way of just getting a months worth of Bungie pro or something though - I know im gonna want to Render loads from the Beta, but dont think ill use it much for Halo 3, simply because ive ran out of space to save new stuff and wont have time to clear my hard drive up:lol .

Magni

Yay for "Total time played" I'm too lazy to look up the post where I requested timers, thank you Bungie! :D

Are there gonna be in game timers as well? Different timers (Campaign, specific playlists, etc), or just a Total Time Played timer?

Kapura

Banned
Achronos said:
And that's why I mocked that fake bnet screen going around earlier. :D
Many thanks, Achronos and the rest of the web team. Looks like I'm gonna be able to make a Beta montage after all!

Kibbles

Holy Awesome! If I go buy (renew) bungie pro, how many render points do I get? Can you buy them with msp yet too?

edit: awe you only get 5 and you can't use msp. If I want bungie pro I'm going to have to buy a 1600pts card. I was planning on using some of the leftover on render minutes. Oh wells.

Thermite

Man, all the B.net additions for Reach look insanely good. I can't believe all this is here for a beta. So awesome.

Everything is free, except for video rendering. As before, you must have an active Bungie Pro subscription to use video rendering, and Reach video rendering draws from the same pool of minutes as Halo 3 and ODST.

Fantastic! I've been wanting to renew my Bungie Pro subscription for some time now, but I decided to wait and see whether or not rendering videos would make it in the beta. Now that I know it is, time to renew and buy a massive amount of minutes. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kibbles said:
Holy Awesome! If I go buy (renew) bungie pro, how many render points do I get? Can you buy them with msp yet too?

You get 5 free minutes from Bungie a month, but buying extra points doesn't cost that much. It's $5 for 50 minutes, $10 for 100, etc. Pretty good deal.

And they complete the transactions via Amazon, so it's just as good as using your MS points to get them.

Iknos

Hope that Bungie looked at T10's implementation of sharing UGC. Forza 3 did a good job of helping you find good content and keeping tabs on the best creative people.

There is a favourites list where you keep a list of your favourite tuners/painters/pic takers and this was outside of your usual friends list.

You could also rate content and view all content from within the game.

There was also a handy search function. It got pretty detailed. All the content was tagged by yourself.

So I could search for an "action" shot with a keyword being "Shell" and I'd see pics of cars with Shell liveries while they were racing.

So if you were to adapt it to Reach you would have a search where you can search maps by gametype and filter that by maps and filter that by tags like how much players it's suitable for. Like "2 vs 2" map.

Thermite said:
Fantastic! I've been wanting to renew my Bungie Pro subscription for some time now, but I decided to wait and see whether or not rendering videos would make it in the beta. Now that I know it is, time to renew and buy a massive amount of minutes. :D
I sold H3 before video rendering was available (yeah yeah I just got bored at the time, kind of wish I kept it now) but how much does this rendering points stuff cost? doesn't bungie pro cover it for a year? I don't own ODST yet either since I had minor interest in it due to no matchmaking.

*edit*

Domino Theory said:
You get 5 free minutes from Bungie a month, but buying extra points doesn't cost that much. It's $5 for 50 minutes, $10 for 100, etc. Pretty good deal.

And they complete the transactions via Amazon, so it's just as good as using your MS points to get them.
Not too bad, best to keep time for those awesome moments then.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Diablohead said:
I sold H3 before video rendering was available (yeah yeah I just got bored at the time, kind of wish I kept it now) but how much does this rendering points stuff cost? doesn't bungie pro cover it for a year? I don't own ODST yet either since I had minor interest in it due to no matchmaking.

SD
1 in-game minute = 1 render minute

HD
1 in-game minute = 5 render minutes

GhaleonEB

Diablohead said:
It was answered earlier, but you get five render minutes per month with the Pro subscription, and it's $5 for a pack of 50 additional minutes.

Bungie Pro Project Page is here: http://www.bungie.net/Projects/BungiePro/default.aspx

Thermite

Diablohead said:

It costs 750 points for a 1 year subscription of Bungie Pro. You can buy minutes for rendering footage off of B.net; it's $5 for 50 minutes.

Edit: Beaten. Badly. lol

Attention: EuroHaloGAF, or other Europeans/Eurozone members

I finally got around to setting up a silver account we can use similar to the existing HaloGAF tag. Anyone can join, provided they're in the Eurozone and are interested in playing Halo/Bungie games together, and particularly the coming Reach beta.

Gamertag: EuroHaloGAF

I won't bombard anyone with invites, so just send a request if you want to be on the list.

Here goes my question;

After the beta, will we still have access to the Reach parts of bnet? Stats will probably reset at some point but will my file share remain intact?

GhaleonEB

Deadly Cyclone said:
What are the diagonal lines in each medal box? Do medals rank up too? Also I see a new one...

I think those are Commendations, and each bar represents a different tier of them. Luke a few weeks back provided an example of one for head shots, and one of those medals is the Headshot. So that box is summarizing the Commendations the player has and their level.

I'm also curious as to why, in what is clearly a Beta build, there's a tab for Custom game stats, in addition to Invasion, Arena, and Standard (matchmaking, I assume).
Hey You said:
My guess there were customs in the Internal Beta.
That makes sense - there were.

Kibbles said:
Pretty amazing that this beta is more feature packed than most games.
Pretty amazing that the majority of games aren't offering the statistical depth Bungie were giving us in Halo 2, and that almost no (console) games have even tried to emulate the complete toolset of Halo 3.

GhaleonEB said:
I think those are Commendations, and each bar represents a different tier of them. Luke a few weeks back provided an example of one for head shots, and one of those medals is the Headshot. So that box is summarizing the Commendations the player has and their level.

I'm also curious as to why, in what is clearly a Beta build, there's a tab for Custom game stats, in addition to Invasion, Arena, and Standard (matchmaking, I assume).
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Shake Appeal said:
Attention: EuroHaloGAF, or other Europeans/Eurozone members

I finally got around to setting up a silver account we can use similar to the existing HaloGAF tag. Anyone can join, provided they're in the Eurozone and are interested in playing Halo/Bungie games together, and particularly the coming Reach beta.

Gamertag: EuroHaloGAF

I won't bombard anyone with invites, so just send a request if you want to be on the list.

Thanks that will be useful!

"United in Diversity" - very true!

In the matchmaking pics, on some pages top right you see a Star with a 5 in it, I wonder what this is for?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I hope we can watch rendered videos through the menus, that would be pretty cool. That way you could just watch videos from Bungie Favorites whilst waiting for a game or whatever. Instead of having to download the file and then go over to theater.

Doesn't seem likely though.

GhaleonEB said:

I know my stylish tag must have dazzled you but alas you quoted the wrong dude it seems :p

Can I just say that I agree? haha. Customs is there as a tease no less... or is it....?

Top Bottom