• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Najaf

I have to say, the in depth stats of b-net are one of the biggest factors in driving my Halo purchases. I enjoy the games, sure, but I've always been a bit of a stats buff. More stats never hurt anyone.

So, I'm really thinking about doing a song for the Podcast.

One idea I have so far is me playing the Tuba to my own written tune, and my Grandpa will sing along. It will be about someone tea-bagging an enemy while pulling of insane headshots with the DMR.

I think it could be a success.

ManCannon said:
Spoiler for Urks handy Invasion guide:
In the Beta you do not switch sides. This was intentional to make the games shorter and keep more matchmaking churn.
Wait how does that work.... Wouldn't that be like playing CTF on Zanzibar and only having a chance to play on Assault or Defense, not both?

I guess I can understand wanting to churn out more games, but this seems a bit odd, clarification would be appreciated!

Schmitty

-Yeti said:

One idea I have so far is me playing the Tuba to my own written tune, and my Grandpa will sing along. It will be about someone tea-bagging an enemy while pulling of insane headshots with the DMR.

Sounds like it could be the best theme song ever or the worst. :lol

-Yeti said:

:lol

Oh man I saw that thing that Bungie is looking for music for Podcasts. Going to see if I can submit one of my band's recordings that fit. I have to look into the details of this.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
-Yeti said:

Do it. Sounds amazing.

-Yeti said:

No. Let me do the vocals over a XBL mic. It would be glorious.

EazyB

Banned
The depth of the stats on Bnet... fucking glorious.
We have a bunch of nifty new stats that are interesting – average kill distance and average death distance are early favorites.
:D

kylej said:
Can you stream videos without downloading them? Will there be YouTube-esque sorting features for all the content? Say I want to watch (or download) a video. I want to watch high level Arena play. Could I sort by the highest rated Onyx-level games on Powerhouse?

I don't care if the ability to stream video is in the beta but I want to reiterate my desire for a GothamTV system in the final game.
These are some good ideas here. It's awesome to know the beta has Halo 3 parity regarding files but its the new shit that I really wanna see. Also not seeing how the UI for searching for content in-game is a bummer but I guess this was a Bnet article and the beta is less than 2 weeks away.

Kinda bummed out that they're sticking with the Render Point system though. It was perfectly understandable that they had to use it for Halo 3 considering it was never a planned feature and kinda jimmy-rigged in there. But with Reach I was hoping they'd find a partner which could be used to upload it to the web or at the very least convert it to a file for the PC. Lord knows they'd probably prefer that kind of system so maybe it's still not logistically viable. Bummer nonetheless.

Schmitty said:
Sounds like it could be the best theme song ever or the worst. :lol

Either way, I think it will be awesome in my opinion. And hey, at least I can say I tried! :D

Dax01 said:
No. Let me do the vocals over a XBL mic. It would be glorious.

I don't know. I need to hear your voice first. Gotta make sure you don't sound like a pedophile or something.

Devin Olsen said:
Wait how does that work.... Wouldn't that be like playing CTF on Zanzibar and only having a chance to play on Assault or Defense, not both?

I guess I can understand wanting to churn out more games, but this seems a bit odd, clarification would be appreciated!

I don't know. I think i see where they are coming from.

In BC2, you'll play a long round on defense or offense, and after the round ends, most of the time I really don't want to play that same map again.

Perhaps Invasion will evoke similar feelings after one round, and too alleviate this, you go and play another separate game. So instead of one really long match, its two smaller portions.

xDangerboy said:
I see through your pathetic attempt to get partial credit for his awesome song and therefore a F&F code!
Nah. I just think it would be hilarious. I dunno. Maybe an old man would be funnier sounding than me.

EazyB

Banned
Devin Olsen said:

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I was under the impression that only the attacking team could score while the defending team waits for their chance at offense to tie it up or take the lead. Surely this isn't the case if one team never even touches offense.

xDangerboy said:
I don't know. I think i see where they are coming from.

In BC2, you'll play a long round on defense or offense, and after the round ends, most of the time I really don't want to play that same map again.

Perhaps Invasion will evoke similar feelings after one round, and too alleviate this, you go and play another separate game. So instead of one really long match, its two smaller portions.
Yes but won't that end up being a case of "Invasion! yes" **** "Shit we are the elites!"

With seemingly entirely different roles (spartans vs elites) balancing the two enough to make neither side more favorable seems impossible. If they pull it off then that is great, but I personally do not see that happening.

I do not mean to sound negative with all of this, I am just expressing my concerns.

Edit: Also Eazy is completely right, is there even a chance for the defending team to score?

Suppose I shouldn't bitch to much about a game-type I know almost nothing about...

EazyB said:
Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I was under the impression that only the attacking team could score while the defending team waits for their chance at offense to tie it up or take the lead. Surely this isn't the case if one team never even touches offense.

xDangerboy said:
Why not both? (and me)
I wasn't being serious.
EazyB said:
If Elites push through, they win. If the Spartans hold them back, they win. Could that be it?

Devin Olsen said:
Yes but won't that end up being a case of "Invasion! yes" **** "Shit we are the elites!"

With seemingly entirely different roles (spartans vs elites) balancing the two enough to make neither side more favorable seems impossible. If they pull it off then that is great, but I personally do not see that happening.

I do not mean to sound negative with all of this, I am just expressing my concerns.

Oh yeah of course. I completely agree. The fact that both sides are so different makes the case for a standard of two rounds. But well see I guess.

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:
Spoiler for Urks handy Invasion guide:
In the Beta you do not switch sides. This was intentional to make the games shorter and keep more matchmaking churn.
:eek:

Then we'll need to be told how the Spartans can win besides denying destruction of every generator!

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
LukeSmith said:
You can remake me a sweet new avatar for one, though. I'll give you a shot at redemption.

The scramble for making Luke's new avatar has begun. :lol

I will not be partaking...I didn't even make my own.

Kibbles

-Yeti said:

:lol Grandpa Yeti ftw! Now you got everyones hopes up, it must be done. ;p

zumphry

Banned
I'm really loving everything about Reach so far. Bungie is just going balls to the wall with Reach. :lol

Also liking the Blue team vs Red Team picture with the Red guy being shot to death.

Ramirez

Schmitty said:
That was what I was assuming. It works that way in Bad Company, and doesn't annoy me.

Both sides get a chance at Off/Def in BC...

Personally I don't mind it being the way it is in the beta, as someone else said, playing the same map for close to an hour for two games gets a little tedious in BC2 at times.

Devin Olsen said:

Edit: Also Eazy is completely right, is there even a chance for the defending team to score?

Suppose I shouldn't bitch to much about a game-type I know almost nothing about...
One quick note, Brian was responding to a question about invasion slayer, which makes sense for a single round.

Ramirez said:

Personally I don't mind it being the way it is in the beta, as someone else said, playing the same map for close to an hour for two games gets a little tedious in BC2 at times.

Overall though, the gameplay greatly varies which really changes up the map and keeps the experience fresh, I just hope invasion is the same way.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh man GothamTV was amazing. I used to love watching the best racers dominate the tracks. I wouldn't mind having people watch me on HaloTV ;)

EazyB said:

I'm pretty sure the question was about Invasion Slayer. Both teams can score on that. Invasion most likely has team switch?

electricpirate said:
One quick note, Brian was responding to a question about invasion slayer, which makes sense for a single round.

Beaten.

Schmitty

Ramirez said:

Yeah, but they count as different games, not rounds.

Kibbles said:
:lol Grandpa Yeti ftw! Now you got everyones hopes up, it must be done. ;p

Haha, I'm already messing around with different tunes with my Tuba. I suck now though. I haven't played it since last Summer.

But it's still coming along pretty nicely. I still have to ask my Grandpa if he'll sing though. :lol

-Yeti said:
Haha, I'm already messing around with different tunes with my Tuba. I suck now though. I haven't played it since last Summer.

But it's still coming along pretty nicely. I still have to ask my Grandpa if he'll sing though. :lol

can i pretend to be your grandpa is he says no?

ManCannon

electricpirate said:

No, I was referring to Invasion (proper) - in the BETA. In the BETA you don't switch sides - so yeah, that means 6 people magically end up on Elite/Offense, 6 end up on Spartan/Defense.

The game ends if the Elites get the core back to the ship or if the Spartan's shut 'em down at any point along the way. You then return to lobby, rinse and repeat. Weird? Yeah, a bit. It's not called a BETA for nothin. :)

Invasion Slayer doesn't have have the same notion of "rounds" or an offense/defense component.

Top Bottom